Photo

A (Very) Short Guide To Zinc.

vitamin vitamins zinc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 duluxdog

duluxdog

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 July 2004 - 08:41 AM

A (Very) Short Guide To Zinc.

There seems to be much confusion and whatnot on this board with how to take Zinc, which type of Zinc to use, and so on. So I will share what i've read and experienced. Note that I am writing about taking Zinc in supplement form here.

I've been taking Zinc for quite a while, in different forms, and at different times. The most significant point to note is that I saw no effect at all from taking certain types of Zinc at certain times, but have experienced some reasonable success after implementing some reading and research I carried out.

Information:
Zinc appears to work by reducing inflammation in the sebaceous follicles. The P. Acnes bacteria produces an enzyme which splits long chain fatty acids into shorter chain free fatty acids which are extremely irritating. This gives rise to inflammed hair follicles. Zinc blocks the enzyme and gives rise to reduced levels of free fatty acids and less inflammation.  It has been found that many people with acne have Zinc deficiency.

(i) Types of Zinc.

There are many types of Zinc available. The type I take is "ZINC PICOLINATE", because it the most easily absorbed, easy on the stomach in the method you must take it (see below), and enhances absorbtion of other vitamins/minerals.

(ii) Amount of Zinc.

Most studies on Zinc for acne use 30mg. This is fine. Using a large amount is toxic and people have actually injured their intestines trying to fix their acne by taking large amounts of Zinc. 30mg is the way to go because you will be taking Zinc in the long term and this sort of amount is most preferable as apposed to a low amount or a much more than this in this situation. Buying large amounts of Zinc all the time will put a large hole in your wallet as well as your intestines.

(iii) Period of time over which you take Zinc.

It is important to note that you will need to take Zinc for a few months before you get results. It isn't the miracle cure, I haven't got completely clear with Zinc but it has helped. Bearing in mind that many acne/zinc studies have shown results on beginning to show around 3 months, you will need to be patient for some results. Some have shown results in less time, sometimes a few weeks but in the extreme case, you may need to wait for 3 months. Either way, the results won't be over night.

(iv) Zinc and copper depletion.

Taking Zinc in the long term can produce copper depletion.. a bad thing. You ought to use about 2/3mg of copper with your Zinc. Note that you shouldn't take them both at the same time because they inhibit the absorbtion of eachother.

(v) Method of taking Zinc.

Zinc (Zinc Picolinate is preferable) is best taken on an empty stomach. It frequently says on the bottle of your the Zinc vitamins to take it with food. But this isn't the best way, if you actually look at some websites on Zinc you will read that it is best taken on an empty stomach.

The reason they print 'Take With Food' on the bottle is so people don't make themselves feel ill.. BUT the feeling of illness you get when taking Zinc only occurrs when you are using Zinc Gluconate/Sulfate.. Zinc Picolinate is easy on the stomach, so there is no issue here.

Take the Zinc Picolinate on an empty stomach (around 1 hour or so after eating, maybe a bit more) with a glass of water last thing at night before you go to bed.

Another important point to note is that Zinc absorbtion is depleted if you drink Tea or Coffee in the same part of the day you will be taking the Zinc.. i.e don't drink Tea or Coffee in the evenings. You probably won't get the best sleep if you're driking Tea of Coffee in the evenings or before you go to bed anyway. I drink a fair amount of Tea and Coffee but it's not really a big hassle to avoid drinking it in the evenings (much after 7 at night).

And that's about it I think. Hopefully someone will get some use out of this.
-duluxdog.

#2 duluxdog

duluxdog

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 July 2004 - 04:23 PM

This guide better help some people .. :/

#3 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 July 2004 - 04:37 PM

thanks delux, i'll definately look for the zinc picolinate.

#4 hobo2alpha

hobo2alpha

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 July 2004 - 07:23 PM

Why not eat foods high in zinc?

Here is a link about foods with high zinc contents...

http://www.waitalk.c...t=000132#000000

My reading of the anti-acne properties of zinc I can only surmise that zinc has no real direct effect on acne. If zinc did help stop bacteria from forming and therefore creating acne, I think we would have a prevention tool.

How much have you noticed a difference?

Have you changed your diet as well as zinc supplementation?

How many months have been taking zinc supplements?

#5 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 July 2004 - 10:41 PM

My reading of the anti-acne properties of zinc I can only surmise that zinc has no real direct effect on acne.

have you read any of the studies on pubmed?

If zinc did help stop bacteria from forming and therefore creating acne, I think we would have a prevention tool.

actually, zinc has been shown to be an effective antimicrobial against p. acnes and other acne related bacteria. zinc also supports healthy skin function in many ways. you have to remember that bacteria is only one piece of the puzzle.

#6 Veritable

Veritable

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2004 - 03:48 AM

I've been waiting for someone to post a run-down on zinc usage, I had been taking a different type of zinc, and it was making me feel sick so I stopped, I'll look into this other type, sounds good.

#7 hobo2alpha

hobo2alpha

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2004 - 08:41 AM

how much were you taking?

anything in excess can be bad.

of course zinc is healthy for the skin, but why not digest it through your food consumption?

you don't need supplements all the time...

#8 duluxdog

duluxdog

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 July 2004 - 06:43 AM

Getting the levels of zinc you need to create the desired effect through food would involve consuming large amounts of certain types of food.. you could implement a diet change, if you wanted, to get more zinc, but this would require a lot more work compared to just taking a tablet before you go to bed. You could try it out and see how it goes, though,

However, in my personal circumstances, it would also be quite expensive to eat all that meat (and other zinc containing foods) to get the level of zinc you can obtain by just popping the tablet. I'm a student on a pretty tight budget so the easiest and cheapest way is to have the tablets.

Plus there is the added benefit of the picolinate variety of zinc enhancing the absorbtion of other vitamins and minerals in the body. I also think that the picolinate variety is easily enough absorbed to remove any sort of advantage that eating the food may have over taking the tablet, as far as how easily absorbed either is concerned.

#9 hobo2alpha

hobo2alpha

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 July 2004 - 06:31 PM

i do agree, but there are some considerations for people who take multivitamins.

your situation makes sense!

how exactly does this picolinate help with absorption of other minerals and vitamins?

#10 JesterX

JesterX

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2004 - 12:33 AM

I have been taking Zinc Sulfate + B6 + Magnesium oxide tablets since the end of last year and they have helped my skin alot it takes a while to see changes but they happen after 2 or 3 months.

now i only have red marks and those annoying tiny little bumps on my forehead (What are These? and how do you get rid of them?)

a few zits here and there but i started out with pretty bad acne and this is what has helped me better than any thing you put on your face that ive tried.

And they have never made me feel sick must have a strong stomach smile.gif