Photo

Tiny itchy bumps all over hands and arms?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 under the pink

under the pink

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:29 AM

I've had dry skin on my hands through out my Accutane course. My first derm said it was eczema and it sort of looked like it, so I accepted it.

I just moved to another state so I had to change derms. This one upped my dosage to 80mg (which was also the plan with my other derm) and that night I noticed I was VERY ITCHY all over my arms. I woke up the next morning with what looked like ant bites all over my arms. It does not look like eczema anymore to me.

The ant-like bumps on my hands are no longer red (because I haven't been scratching them), but it's driving me insane trying not to itch. I picked up a hydrocortizone cream and some allergy meds at the pharmacy wondering if that would help. The cream helps for about an hour-- but you can only apply it 4x a day! And the Claritan does absolutely nothing so I don't think it's allergy related.

I've been moisturizing like a monster and it does nothing except to curb the itching for awhile. It doesn't make the bumps any smaller. This has now been going on for about 3-4 days.

I'm going to call the doc today but I don't have insurance currently, so it's very expensive for me to go in for a visit. I wanted to check in here first and see if anyone had anything like this or has any advice. This is the very beginning of my 4th month and I'm on 80mg/day.

#2 halifax

halifax

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:36 AM

I had the same thing. Make sure you get a 1% hydrocortisone and take your moisturizer and mix the two together in your hands. Use a lot of each. Spread genererously over your arms and hands so that your arms are almost white, completely covered from the lotion. Do this twice a day for about a week and it should be gone. I know exactly what you're talking about when you say little ant bites. You have to use A LOT of moisturizer and hydrocortisone. You can also use your reg. moisutrizer a few times a day in addition to the hydrocoritisone and lotion mixture.

If you are going to be exercises and sweating put gold bond powder on your arms (over the hydrocortisone mixture). Helps to absorb the sweat and prevent dryness.

Hope this helps.

#3 CaramelChick

CaramelChick

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:42 AM

I get the same thing all over my hands. I apply Aquaphor day and night and it tends to get better.

#4 under the pink

under the pink

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:18 PM

CaramelChick-- I had been doing that for the past few days and I wasn't seeing any difference! UGHHHH! So I called the doc.

Halifax-- This is exactly what my doctor told me to do. For some reason he said that Aquaphor isn't what I want to use for this (he said it's better for flakey/cracking dry skin). So he told me to get Lubriderm Intensive Skin Repair (odd- cuz it has fragrance in it) and mix it with a Hydrocortisone cream and apply generously. I've done it for the past few days and the bumps are less red and less itchy. It's not perfect by any means, but it definitely looks better and isn't driving me SO insane.

I'm starting a new job next week so I don't want to look like a freak. Thank you so much for the support guys!

#5 Christina 1991

Christina 1991

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:14 AM

Vaseline
On your face
At night

And anywhere else
I use it on my hands and elbows too

#6 NEG1524

NEG1524

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:45 AM

I had something like this too... where every pore on my hand was chapped. I used True Blue Spa "Lay it on thick" body cream. You can get it in a small tube to try it out at Bath and Body Works. It worked better than anything else I was trying.

#7 JohnSmithlol

JohnSmithlol

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (under the pink @ Jan 21 2010, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've had dry skin on my hands through out my Accutane course. My first derm said it was eczema and it sort of looked like it, so I accepted it.

I just moved to another state so I had to change derms. This one upped my dosage to 80mg (which was also the plan with my other derm) and that night I noticed I was VERY ITCHY all over my arms. I woke up the next morning with what looked like ant bites all over my arms. It does not look like eczema anymore to me.

The ant-like bumps on my hands are no longer red (because I haven't been scratching them), but it's driving me insane trying not to itch. I picked up a hydrocortizone cream and some allergy meds at the pharmacy wondering if that would help. The cream helps for about an hour-- but you can only apply it 4x a day! And the Claritan does absolutely nothing so I don't think it's allergy related.

I've been moisturizing like a monster and it does nothing except to curb the itching for awhile. It doesn't make the bumps any smaller. This has now been going on for about 3-4 days.

I'm going to call the doc today but I don't have insurance currently, so it's very expensive for me to go in for a visit. I wanted to check in here first and see if anyone had anything like this or has any advice. This is the very beginning of my 4th month and I'm on 80mg/day.

This sounds very similar to what i had, i was workout out one day while on my 60mg dosage and i woke up the next morning like this

Picture_4.jpg
Picture_5.jpg

Not sure why i got it but lasted a week

#8 asiansent

asiansent

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:58 PM

johnsmithlol, did you apply anything to get rid of it? Mine looks similar to yours but mine showed up three weeks ago and still persists. My derm decided to lower my dosage in half to see if it would help.

#9 JohnSmithlol

JohnSmithlol

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (asiansent @ Feb 24 2010, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
johnsmithlol, did you apply anything to get rid of it? Mine looks similar to yours but mine showed up three weeks ago and still persists. My derm decided to lower my dosage in half to see if it would help.

Just applied a hydro cortisone cream for the itch and left it. might be from the heat

#10 enaid

enaid

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:14 AM

I'm happy I read this. I am week 7 on accutane and the past few days have also gotten the itchy red bumps on my hands, get worse after excercise. Called my derm and they said it's probably not related to the accutane, sounds like the same as all of you are describing though!

#11 asiansent

asiansent

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:05 PM

My derm prescribed me a topical for the itchy bumps, she gave me Triamcinolone acetonide. I mentioned the hydro cortisone cream and she said the Triamcinolone acetonide would be better since its stronger.

#12 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (asiansent @ Feb 25 2010, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My derm prescribed me a topical for the itchy bumps, she gave me Triamcinolone acetonide. I mentioned the hydro cortisone cream and she said the Triamcinolone acetonide would be better since its stronger.

Before using the triamcinolone, please read Directions for use and Precautions

It's not to be used long-term, in large amounts, or over large surface areas. Side effects can include severely thinned skin, permanent damage to the skin, rosacea, and acne. Use SHORT-TERM only! Internal and external steroids can also cause immune suppression so susceptibility to fungal, yeast, and bacterial infection is increased.

#13 Cecelia

Cecelia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:51 PM

Yep. What Wynne said.

Even with severe eczema, it shouldn't be used for more than one week at a time.

Also, Claritan doesn't work for some people. There are other OTC allergy meds that are sometimes more effective, but the gold standard is Benadryl (diphemhydramine). It makes your drowsy, but a couple of doses can tell you if an antihistamine will help. If it does, then maybe another non-drowsy formula might, too.

OH...and triamcinolone can be mixed with moisturiser, too.

#14 rjavolaska

rjavolaska

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:07 PM

Hey, i have the same thing!

Started when the temperatures outside got high, so i assume that it's because of the sun and heat, my derm looked at it and told me it's because of the sun. Reaction to the sun. But said nothing else. what's that suppose to mean? should i automaticly know what to use? What to do?

Summer is just starting and my skin is extra sensitive.

I hope it's not an allergy? What do you thing guys? Please, tell me if you still get those bumps after accutane! Please.

#15 Sahara

Sahara

The soul you're about to sell...

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:54 PM

I don't know if you can get this stuff in the US, but if you can, it works WONDERS on dry skin / bumps / etc: http://stores.channe...x?itemid=533193

I swear by it... haha.

#16 enaid

enaid

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:10 AM

I have been getting that off and on my whole course. MY derm said it was accutane related eczema and gave me an ointment that clears it up in a day or 2. Before I saw her I read on here to try mixing over the counter hydrocortisone with moisturizer and that worked pretty well. You shouldn't sue the hydrocortisone for more than a few days in a row though.