Photo

Spiro -- what can you eat???

spiro

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:41 PM

It seeems like everything I eat has high potassium: tomatoes, green vegetables, fruits, beans...

what the heck can I eat on spiro?
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

#2 Lady Odd Duck

Lady Odd Duck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:43 PM

My derm. hasn't suggested restricting my diet in any way. As long as you get your blood tested shortly after beginning the drug and then on a regular basis after that, you should be ok.

#3 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:55 PM

ok, thanks!
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

#4 Shells82

Shells82

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:47 PM

Anti-Em , I don't even get my blood tested, and I eat whatever but just try to eat healthy.. and I don't think I eat an oddly high amount of potassium so I have been just fine! And in fact over the Xmas break I ATE really unhealthy meaning I ate out all the time fried food sweets etc etc. I don't think it had any effect on my face. SO maybe ask your doc what the protocol is but definitely don't stress out about it!! wink.gif

#5 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:59 PM

well it seems all you CAN eat is unhealthy stuff. No veggies, no fruit, no tomatoes...etc...

I really want to try spiro but I am worried with the more research I do. I also am afraid of being really thirsty, bc I already am like that. I don;t want my bp to get too low, but I cant drink tomato juice which is loaded with sodium bc its also loaded with potassium. sigh.

#6 Shells82

Shells82

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:01 AM

Well the best advice I can give you is this. Is Spiro your last resort? How bad is your acne?

When I made the choice to take this drug I did tons of research as well. And most, I would say 90% of the reviews I READ were positive with very few people have any damaging or life altering side effects. BUT I also was at my wits end, I mean I suddenly began getting cysts, several at a time and I was in pain and I felt horrible like a monster, and I was cooped up in my apartment hiding from the world. I had tried EVERY SINGLE natural "cure" out there...but in the end I was left with WORSE acne and I was eating such a restricted diet that I lost 20lbs. I mean it was becoming unhealthy to be healthy!! Anyway I exhausted every possibility I took everything out of my diet etc. SO when my dr. suggested this to me.. I was soo hesitant and refused it at first because I didn't think the answer was putting something unnatural into my body. But I researched and decided to give it try. I mean if my body was functioning properly I would have acne and worst the recent cysts so I agreed that it could be hormonal and I gave it a try.

I will tell you this I knew within a week that the cause was hormonal, because I had an IB after 2 days.. so why would I react so sensitively to a hormone change if it wasn't the root of the cause in the first place. SO I stuck with it. here I am nearly 3 months later and its the best decision I ever made. I mean I do not have 100% clear skin, but each month it gets better and better. And really I only have issues in the week before my period. and even that is lessening.

Before I began taking spiro I WAS AN EXTREMELY thirsty person. Diabetes runs in my family so I have always suspected that genes have something to do with my thirst. Regardless I remember how insatiably thirsty I was those first few weeks, and I already pee a lot and man it was worse too.. but after a month I didn't even notice a difference, the thirst subsided I pee more only a few hours after taking the pill and that's it. I feel 100% great otherwise and even better because 3 out of 4 weeks a month I am 90% clear and getting better.

Moral of the story everyone reacts to drugs differently, bad instances travel faster and longer than good outcomes, and we all have varying needs/desires for getting clear skin.

Good luck to you no matter what you decide. No matter what you decide to do this forum is a great resource and outlet for people with acne so keep us posted!!

#7 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:57 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm glad to hear the thirst factor goes away.

I am going to the MD and I will see what he thinks. I am actually really afraid of the IB. I think if I got one it would be disastrous since I stopped tane early about three months ago, so my skin is dry and fragile. I think I would scar. Part of me wonders if I should just go back on tane so I don't get an IB. I don't know what to do.

#8 jen0489x

jen0489x

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:48 AM

I don't know if I got an actual IB or not. At the beginning,my acne breakouts were pretty bad and they stayed pretty bad, and I had jumbled up thoughts in regards to an IB. I thought new pimples emerging was an IB, when that's really just how bad my skin is. I'm 42 days into spiro today, and my face is clear except for a few pimples on my chin. This is MASSIVE improvement to how it was previously..

On spiro I avoid bananas, but that's because when I eat them I'm like a monkey and will eat four. Haha smile.gif Good luck!

We just need to make sure we are eating things that come from the earth, and not factories!

#9 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:06 PM

Hi,

I was wondering that -- if most people just think it's an IB. It is hard to tell when you already have acne. Mine is not too bad right now. The one's I get don't become too inflamed. I am not sure if that's the result of the 'tane still working or the bp I spot apply, but I DO know if I don't do something soon, like go back on tane and reach my cumulative dosage (I didn't this time) or go on spiro to stop the breakouts that it will get really bad in time.

I feel like I am a good candidate for spiro because I have so much hair on my face and because my labs showed a pretty high (but still in range, but just barely) level of testosterone.

But I always hear that an IB is very common with spiro. So I am confused. I don't understand why you'd get an ib if you have a lot of testosterone since that causes acne and spiro lowers that. It should improve immediately.

If it weren't for fears of an IB I would try it. I refuse to take antibiotics.

Edited by Anti - Em, 16 January 2010 - 02:07 PM.

#10 jen0489x

jen0489x

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:54 PM

If what I had WAS an IB, then it wasn't bad.. Looking back on it I can't really differentiate it from my regular breakouts.. you really should try it. i've been on it 40someodd days and my skin has improved dramatically. I honestly didn't think it would work as well so quickly..My skin is moderate I suppose acne wise but as it's standing now it'd be light. Really, give it a go.

We just need to make sure we are eating things that come from the earth, and not factories!

#11 JayQ

JayQ

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE (jen0489x @ Jan 16 2010, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If what I had WAS an IB, then it wasn't bad.. Looking back on it I can't really differentiate it from my regular breakouts.. you really should try it. i've been on it 40someodd days and my skin has improved dramatically. I honestly didn't think it would work as well so quickly..My skin is moderate I suppose acne wise but as it's standing now it'd be light. Really, give it a go.

I am really debating hard in making an appt with my doctor and asking about this. My chin is a disaster again and full of red marks and acne lesions. Do you girls know of any males that took this with success too? I know Buck on here said he did, just seeing if anyone else has too.

Edited by JayQ, 16 January 2010 - 03:18 PM.

My Vitamin B5 Log

To be upset over what you don't have, is to waste what you do have

#12 jen0489x

jen0489x

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:41 PM

Ehh, I don't think boys should. It lowers testosterone and can mess with, ahem, other functions. I just think you should try out other options before this..