vitamin vitamins zinc

2 replies to this topic

#1 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2004 - 04:46 PM

i know there have been plenty of posts on zinc but i thought i would add my two cents.

i just ordered a kit from skintactix.com and several of their products contain zinc, ranging from 1% to 3%. after i ordered, they sent me an email that included the following:
People with prolonged moderate to severe acne develop systemic (bodily) zinc deficiency which actually promotes acne and slows the healing process considerably.  If you are taking a multiple vitamin with 20-25mg of zinc this will correct a possible deficiency.  If not, you may want to consider taking a multivitamin for 4-6 weeks or taking 30mg to 40mg of zinc supplement daily (with food to avoid stomach upset) for 4-6 weeks.  DO NOT take zinc supplements if pregnant or nursing.

my acne is more mild than moderate so im not sure if a zinc deficiency applies to me. i plan on getting some zinc supplements just in case.

skintactix.com has more about zinc and also a very good summary of the biochemistry of acne.

pubmed.com has a number of zinc studies if you want to learn more. some of the studies contradict eachother so you gotta take each for what its worth. zinc is just one factor to consider but its surely worth trying.

#2 Mdawg202

Mdawg202

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 09 July 2004 - 05:21 PM

what foods give zinc, or do u have to go out and buy the pills?

#3 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2004 - 05:45 PM

How do we normally absorb zinc? Where do we usually get zinc from?  Are there foods that have a high concentration of zinc?                       

Answer: Normally we get zinc from a normal diet such as meat, seafood, etc. Although vegetables contain quite a high amount of zinc, that form of zinc is more often bound to fiber and phytic acid and zinc which is bound to fiber and phytic acid rarely is absorbed by the intestine, because fiber and phytic acid accumulate the zinc and make it unavailable for absorption. Certain foods like meat and liver, which contain high zinc enzymes, also contain zinc. There are many other foods that contain high concentrations of zinc, particularly oysters. Oysters contain a very high amount of zinc; and they are known as prostaglandin foods. The ancient Egyptians used for the treatment of certain types of schizophrenia, which are due to zinc deficiency.
http://www.phpltd.co.../proz_faq1.html

Meats, poultry and fish are main sources of dietary zinc.  Vegetarians should research other sources (such as beans) or consider some form of supplementation.
http://www.skintacti...e_treatment.htm

i only eat fish or chicken a few times a week so i could probably use the supplements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users