Photo

H. Pylori infections and Oregano Oil?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:37 PM

So, my skin has finally cleared up with HCl tablets at every meal because I've discovered that I have very weak stomach acid, as does 50% of the US and 80% of acne sufferers.

If people have had weak stomach acid for many years, they can get infected with H. Pylori because their stomach acid isn't strong enough. 80% of people with H. Pylori are asymptomatic. So I've decided to take a supplement to kill it off.

I've read Oregano Oil is very efficient at doing this. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is this the best course of action?
"It takes 20 minutes to turn a live steer into a hamburger. One-third of cattle are blinking, looking around and mooing as their tails are cut off, their hooves removed, their hides pulled off and their bellies ripped open. It is happening all over North America. Veterinarians feel its out of control but the government says there is nothing they can do about it." --The Washington Post's "They Die Piece By Piece" (April 11, 2001)

There are 13 major slaughterhouses in the US. All 13 are "self-policed" for animal abuse. Each worker cuts the throat of about 309 cattle per hour. --Humane Society of America

It is legal in North America for male chicks to be thrown into grinders while alive for dog food companies.

"Poor animals! How jealously they guard their pathetic bodies... that which to us is merely an evening's meal, but to them is life itself." β€” T. Casey Brennan

#2 max powers

max powers

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:24 PM

By "my skin has finally cleared up", you mean for a few weeks or so, until it comes back due to the minimal change in your routine?

But anyways, how much HCl did you take with each meal?

Edited by max powers, 09 January 2010 - 02:24 PM.

#3 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:35 PM

It has cleared with the HCl tablets. As you probably know, I found that any protein whatsoever caused me to have HUGE breakouts. I haven't touched any protein (meat, dairy, eggs, soy, legumes, nuts or seeds) in 1.5 years. If I even ate 2 beans, I would get infections the next day. If I ate 2 bites of lentils, meat or tofu, my face would have 15 infections the next day. I couldn't get any doctor to help me.

A renowned naturopath told my parents I should try HCl tablets and someone on this forum suggested the same thing because the inability to digest protein is a symptom of very weak stomach acid. So for 1 week now, I've been eating huge plates of protein with HCl tablets and my I haven't had any infections, pus, inflammation, flaky skin, etc.

I have found that I can take up to 7 tablets of HCl (I haven't tried a higher dosage). If I lower the HCl dose, I begin to get infections again.

I have no idea if this is a permanent solution but I am hoping it is.

Edited by Dotty1, 09 January 2010 - 02:37 PM.

"It takes 20 minutes to turn a live steer into a hamburger. One-third of cattle are blinking, looking around and mooing as their tails are cut off, their hooves removed, their hides pulled off and their bellies ripped open. It is happening all over North America. Veterinarians feel its out of control but the government says there is nothing they can do about it." --The Washington Post's "They Die Piece By Piece" (April 11, 2001)

There are 13 major slaughterhouses in the US. All 13 are "self-policed" for animal abuse. Each worker cuts the throat of about 309 cattle per hour. --Humane Society of America

It is legal in North America for male chicks to be thrown into grinders while alive for dog food companies.

"Poor animals! How jealously they guard their pathetic bodies... that which to us is merely an evening's meal, but to them is life itself." β€” T. Casey Brennan

#4 max powers

max powers

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:58 PM

Well just saying 7 tablets doesn't really give a good amount; how much is each pill?

Also, what brand of pills are you taking?

Edited by max powers, 09 January 2010 - 03:01 PM.

#5 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:21 PM

There are 500mg Betaine Hydrochloride in each capsule.
Therefore I took 3,500mg with a lentil patee.

The brand is Natural Factors.

Edited by Dotty1, 09 January 2010 - 03:23 PM.

#6 hesitation

hesitation

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:01 PM

How does one find out if he has weak stomach acid?

#7 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:07 PM

You can't. You must test one pill on yourself and see if you get a burning sensation in your stomach. If you don't, you have weak stomach acid. If you do, then you eat a fatty food and the sensation disappears within minutes.

I HIGHLY suggest trying it. Acne is one common symptom of weak stomach acid.

Other symptoms of weak stomach acid:

Hives
Food sensitivities
Food "allergies"
Acne
Rosasea
Iron anemia
Nails that peel or flake
Belching, burping after meals
Heartburn

My only symptoms were hives, food sensitivities, acne and peeling nails.

Edited by Dotty1, 09 January 2010 - 04:12 PM.

#8 Healthoid

Healthoid

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:47 PM

Yes, H. Pylori will definitely reduce your stomach acid and oregano is good at fighting it off.

I would recommend instead of taking oregano oil supplements, to get some actual ground/chopped oregano from the spice section in your supermarket and put it on your foods, especially high fat/protein foods like meat. Garlic is also very good at suppressing H. Pylori and other stomach bugs that will prevent your body from properly making stomach acid.

Cover your foods in herbs and spices and you will digest things a lot better.

#9 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:58 PM

I have oregano spice and could put it into plastic capsules I have.
Unfortunately, I'm a vegan, so I really don't touch meat very often. eusa_dance.gif

#10 AussieSmile

AussieSmile

If there is no god, who pops up the next kleenex?

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:03 PM

Hey dotty im glad that HCL is helping you. Just thought i would say that after each meal i would get an extreme 'full' feeling and indigestion. I have been taking cayenne pepper with my meal and this has totally gone. Now i feel like i can eat more and have no bloating what so ever. I am wary about long term HCL supplementation and so im just going to quote liliVG:

"My goal is to find supplements and foods that stimulate stomach acid on their own. Meat does that which is why I think the really high meat diets seem to be working for people. I also found capsaicin, the stuff that makes peppers spicy, strongly simulates natural HCL production. I'm going to get some supplements of that today and see if it works as well as HCL. I don't want my stomach to lower it's own acid production in an attempt to compensate for direct acid supplementation, so foods and supplements that trigger the stomach to produce it's own would be more reliable I think. I'll let everyone know how it goes".

Hope this helps but if you wanna stay with taking HCL thats your choice razz.gif

#11 Healthoid

Healthoid

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (Dotty1 @ Jan 9 2010, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unfortunately, I'm a vegan

Well there's your problem! sad.gif

It's going to be very difficult to produce proper stomach acid without supplying your body with the right nutrients, which are contained in animal foods.

#12 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:13 PM

Well I also eat large quantities spirulina which is the world's most easily digested complete protein.

#13 jts813

jts813

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:17 PM

Alot of this does not make sense to me. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information. Usually H. Pylori is more prevelant in an acid environment and in fact the treatment for h. pylori includes antacids like prilosec. Also people with high acid get heartburn and indigestion not the other way around. Lastly, one person wrote that if they ate any protein they would break out, but then someone else suggested that if you eat lots of meat you could potentially stimulate your own stomach acid to increase?

#14 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:26 PM

Jts83 - Although I can't answer all your questions, I can answer some.

Heartburn and indigestion are symptoms of both weak stomach acid and overly-strong stomach acid. You will only find this info on sites devoted to naturopathic medicine. Studies have found that at least 50% of people have weak stomach acid, but 80% are misdiagnosed at the doctor's office and given pharmaceutical antacids which worsen their condition. My boyfriend was one of these people who has suffered with heartburn, cramps, bloating, burning and gas after every meal for at least 10 years. Doctors quickly diagnosed him with heartburn and sent him home with 30 trial sizes of pharmaceutical antacids. None of them worked.

Last week, he tried taking HCl with all of his meals and his usual symptoms completely disappeared. I am guessing he is one of the many people misdiagnosed by the medical industry.

Search Google for "Weak stomach acid symptoms" and you will see that "heartburn" is a symptom of both problems.

Edited by Dotty1, 09 January 2010 - 05:29 PM.

#15 Jambo

Jambo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:41 PM

I had helicobacter pylori about 7 years ago or so and I was given a course of 2 antibiotics along with some other pill to treat it.

Apparently it was cleared after treatment but if it's linked to acne I wonder if it might be worth me getting tested again.

#16 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:44 PM

No, as far as I know, the H. Pylori is not linked to acne. Low stomach acid is linked to acne, but not H. Pylori.

I just wanted to make sure I didn't have H. Pylori because I'm a health nut and want to clean up my digestive system.

#17 tigermike

tigermike

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2010 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (Dotty1 @ Jan 9 2010, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I also eat large quantities spirulina which is the world's most easily digested complete protein.

"while it’s technically true that spirulina is a good vegetarian protein as well as containing beneficial fatty acids, the amounts are seriously microscopic. You’d literally have to consume spirulina breakfast, lunch, and dinner to get even a minimal amount of nutrients you can easily get from consuming just a few servings of wild salmon or even olive oil every week."

eat fat and protein. it's what we evolved on.
it's what our bodies want.

congrats on the HCL working!

Edited by tigermike, 09 January 2010 - 06:01 PM.

Since AUG 09: Been experimenting with Paleo/Primal diet and absolutely loving it.
Probiotics have been huge as well.

#18 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2010 - 06:04 PM

According to the label of my spirulina bottle from the brand Now, it says that 6 tablets have 2g protein. I take several large handfuls of these per day.

I think I probably get 10 grams of protein with every handful. So probably 30 grams of protein per day.

I don't think this is the cause of my low stomach acid. Besides, I've only been vegan for... 2 years. I've had acne for 14 years.

#19 life_is_grand

life_is_grand

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:51 PM

was diagnosed with h. pylori also...about 5 years ago and was put on an antibiotic cocktail too. i took a ridiculous amount of pills like every 4 hours for two weeks. no way of knowing whether or not it was eradicated because the gastroenterologist talked me out of a post-treatment endoscopy. if i was as knowledgeable back then as i am now i probably would have passed up the antibiotics.

Edited by life_is_grand, 09 January 2010 - 07:51 PM.

#20 tigermike

tigermike

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (Dotty1 @ Jan 9 2010, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
According to the label of my spirulina bottle from the brand Now, it says that 6 tablets have 2g protein. I take several large handfuls of these per day.

I think I probably get 10 grams of protein with every handful. So probably 30 grams of protein per day.

I don't think this is the cause of my low stomach acid. Besides, I've only been vegan for... 2 years. I've had acne for 14 years.

right, which was exactly my point.
if you compare that to just 1/2 fillet of salmon:39g protein (from nutritiondata.com)
one beef steak could easily net you over 100g protein.

jus sayin tongue.gif

Since AUG 09: Been experimenting with Paleo/Primal diet and absolutely loving it.
Probiotics have been huge as well.