Photo

What a head nurse told me about acne

vitamin vitamins vitamin a

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
60 replies to this topic

#41 BomberMan

BomberMan

He might get the ace or the top one,So organise your two's a

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 July 2004 - 11:41 AM

all adults should take in 100 grams of protein per day but we can only absorb 30 grams per meal.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."- Adam Savage

#42 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 13 July 2004 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE(BomberMan @ Jul 13 2004, 08:28 PM)
all adults should take in 100 grams of protein per day but we can only absorb 30 grams per meal.

And this has been studied where? Do you mean that a 100 lbs. women and 300 lbs. man can both absorb the same amount of protein per meal?
Who wants to be normal? Who wants normal results? We want to be exceptional. Exceptions confirm what is not normal

#43 BomberMan

BomberMan

He might get the ace or the top one,So organise your two's a

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 July 2004 - 12:22 PM

i found it on some nutritional website, cant remember where but i guess they were talking about yer "average" adult.
I believe the 30g absorbtion thing is universal because it says the same thing in all the top body-building mags too which doesn't cater for the "average" guy.
Then again, the contestants in the worlds strongest man contest eat like 12-15 eggs for breakfast!
They wouldn't do this if they wern't getting any benifit from it.....
i dunno, never thaught about it in-depth before.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."- Adam Savage

#44 Nico

Nico

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 July 2004 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE(BenKweller @ Jul 12 2004, 09:34 PM)
I wash with just Dove for Sensitive skin. That's it. And it cured me.

No wonder you're so f*cking naive. I forgive you.

#45 hobo2alpha

hobo2alpha

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 July 2004 - 06:26 PM

Nico,

dude what are saying. don' let your emotions take control of our debate, stuff like that really disrupts the focus it. it is hard enough to agree and cussing and blowing up like that is what a 5-year old act.

or are you being sarcastic?........

anyways, yeah, kweller, your a lucky dude. do you still use the dove wash?

#46 hobo2alpha

hobo2alpha

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 July 2004 - 06:29 PM

bomberman,

just like energy intake is different for an athlete compared to a person in wheelchairs, so is protein intake.

of course a certain amount of protein is necessary.

#47 Nico

Nico

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 July 2004 - 06:31 PM

dude what are saying. don' let your emotions take control of our debate, stuff like that really disrupts the focus it. it is hard enough to agree and cussing and blowing up like that is what a 5-year old act.

No, I mean I would be naive too if I could have made my pimples disapear so easily. I'd probably try to convince people that diet doesn't affect it too.

#48 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 July 2004 - 07:42 PM

Yes Nico, thanks for the maturity. It has nothing to do with being naive. I found that my acne was completely unaffected by diet (trust me; when I had acne, my diet would change a lot because I travelled a lot more than the average 15 year old) and that when I stopped irritating my face, it stopped. I know you are so desperate for a cure that you are resorting to bad language but it doesn't help you.

#49 Nico

Nico

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 July 2004 - 08:33 PM

I found that my acne was completely unaffected by diet

That's because you do not understand how it works at all.
If you're happy in your little world, keep living in it. But don't give us bullshit like acne isn't related to diet.
Next you'll be telling us weight isn't related to diet.

By the way I'm not "desperate" anymore because I do understand what causes acne and I am able to control it very well.

#50 hobo2alpha

hobo2alpha

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 July 2004 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE(Nico @ Jul 14 2004, 05:18 PM)

No, I mean I would be naive too if I could have made my pimples disapear so easily. I'd probably try to convince people that diet doesn't affect it too.

There is some truth to that, but you worded it kinda insultingly to kweller.

kweller, for me acne is diet related, although sometimes, I'm not sure becuase it does change with certain factors, like sun or different seasons.

however, for you to make claims that acne is not diet related is a gross mistake.

some of us can only rely on diet change to clear our faces.

i know of a guy who had severe cystic acne at age 13 and had it until his early adult years.
he now follow the strict wai diet and his skin is clear now. this just goes to show. however extreme cases like him are rare, but unfortunate and we have to admire the fact that for people with extreme cystic acne there is some preventive approach.

#51 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:55 PM

Ben,
Awesome! No wonder dietary changes didn't work for you. All you had to do was alter your skin care regimen. LOL, that sometimes can make a WORLD of difference and should be everyone's first step. There's plenty of ingredients in skin & hair care products and laundry detergeants that can not only clog pores, but irritate, causing possibly a rash or obviously acne. Even now, with my dietary changes I'm able to use some products that contain mild pore cloggers (2- 3), but other products my skin is still reactive to. So I always strive to use the least irritating, "natural" or chirally correct formulations, that contain ingredients in the 0 - 1 pore clogging category. However, bear in mind, with or without dietary changes those products would've broken me out. My skin care regimen is the same now as it was 3 years ago, except I don't use much in the line of BHA,etc, because I don't breakout like I used to. If I ceased my dietary changes, the acne would come back, among other things.

Best wishes
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#52 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 July 2004 - 10:32 PM

Nico seems to just like arguing with me so I don't even take the time to read his posts. To the other two that have replied, I am glad that we can agree to disagree. I think dietary changes are just coincidence changes in acne but if they work for you, I have no problem.

Good luck.

#53 Nico

Nico

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2004 - 06:03 AM

I just like to argue with people who are wrong.

#54 Locnar

Locnar

Locnar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2004 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE(Nico @ Jul 14 2004, 04:46 PM)
QUOTE(BenKweller @ Jul 12 2004, 09:34 PM)
I wash with just Dove for Sensitive skin. That's it. And it cured me.

No wonder you're so f*cking naive. I forgive you.

So I'm still waiting for the pro-liver flushing mods to delete this horrible personal attack. If I'd posted this, it would have been deleted at the speed of light.

I'm not holding my breath.

:sick:
Locnar

Reviled but not restrained.

#55 ritzvin

ritzvin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2004 - 12:08 PM

For me, food does affect my acne, but it also largely effects my overall health as well...bread, for instance, puts me to sleep w/in about 10 minutes, alcohol and high sugar/starch foods make my knees throb more, etc (high glycemic foods are obviously not my friend). I try to stick somewhat close to what our ancestors would have eaten for most of our evolution - which does turn out to be foods that improve my health...i try to eat mostly salads and veggies and meat. My skin improves when eat lots of salads..probably all the fiber helping to cleanse my system more; if I don't eat meat for a coupl of days, I tend to get run down, emotional, and bitchy. It's easy for me to see that a certain diet is much healthier merely because of the negative effects that come almost immediately from eating stuff that's 'bad'. Starch/sugar makes me tired, makes my knees throb more at night; bread makes me sleepy, makes my stomach feel bloated (as does most dairy); lack of meat makes me rundown.

My stress and hormone levels are the other biggest effect. Topicals never made a dent in my acne, but it always correlated to my stress and hormone levels.
99.5% Clear (skin gets 'congested' PMS week, but no actual breakouts)
---------------------------
Fragrance-Free Baby Wipes + a few drops Rimmel Makeup Remover solution
3/4 AHA Toner* & 1/4 Glycerin (cotton pad) -- good toner, moisturizer, and makeup base (use less glycerin if not under makeup)
Occasional Treatments (2-3x/week): Exfoliating bp wash* in shower, 2.5% bp lotion* at night
CoverGirl TruBlend Powder Foundation
* = Klear Action Kit (Pro-Activ knockoff)
Gluten-free diet (for non-acne reasons, but it seems to have cleared my acne)

#56 hobo2alpha

hobo2alpha

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2004 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE(ritzvin @ Jul 15 2004, 10:55 AM)
For me, food does affect my acne, but it also largely effects my overall health as well...bread, for instance, puts me to sleep w/in about 10 minutes, alcohol and high sugar/starch foods make my knees throb more, etc (high glycemic foods are obviously not my friend). I try to stick somewhat close to what our ancestors would have eaten for most of our evolution - which does turn out to be foods that improve my health...i try to eat mostly salads and veggies and meat. My skin improves when eat lots of salads..probably all the fiber helping to cleanse my system more; if I don't eat meat for a coupl of days, I tend to get run down, emotional, and bitchy. It's easy for me to see that a certain diet is much healthier merely because of the negative effects that come almost immediately from eating stuff that's 'bad'. Starch/sugar makes me tired, makes my knees throb more at night; bread makes me sleepy, makes my stomach feel bloated (as does most dairy); lack of meat makes me rundown.

My stress and hormone levels are the other biggest effect. Topicals never made a dent in my acne, but it always correlated to my stress and hormone levels.

Well lets see...

Bread has opoid peptides, they act on your opiate recepetors, so they do very well cause sleepiness.

Click here for more details: http://www.13.waisays.com/zombie.htm

The reason why you get emotional, moodswings?, and then you eat meat is because meat contains cholesterol and is fatty and proteinaceous. You need the cholesterol to feel happy and the fats just as well!

Read here for more details: http://www.13.waisays.com/

Some interesting stuff on fiber as well: http://www.13.waisay...onstipation.htm

You must be sensitive to high glucose foods. Do you know that when you consume just sugars, especially starches(which are essentially glucose molecule strands) that you will increase your blood glucose level and then without any healthy fat to balance it out, your blood sugar level will crash. Do you notice this?

Here is another link about it: http://www.13.waisays.com/diabetes

If you interested she has more stuff here:

www.freeacnebook.com

and

www.waisays.com

#57 MechE06

MechE06

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2004 - 10:28 AM

For those of you who have changed your diet and have seen an improvement in acne, how long after the change did u notice a difference?

I'm trying Perricone's diet now and today's the 4th day and I look the same altho it's probably too early for it to effect much even tho Perricone states that you should see a difference in three days... doubt.gif

#58 hobo2alpha

hobo2alpha

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:57 AM

for me it has been a few weeks, however since I cheated and had a sandwhich and ice cream sundae, it kinda set me back. however, my face once again appears to clearing up.

i guess everybody is different.

#59 rommie

rommie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2004 - 12:24 AM

I use to think that diet isn't related to acne. But for me, my diet has changed the severity of my breakouts. Its becomming rare to even get one zit now. I started my diet in the middle of March during spring break. I dont eat bread or rice. The only type of grain I eat everyday is oatmeal. I'm pretty much munching on fruit or vegies throughout the entire day. If my progress continues, I'll finally be clear of all my pigmented marks. I think everyone should consider changing their diet. Its beneficial in the long run if you can stick to it.

#60 JonDoughFF

JonDoughFF

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2004 - 03:19 PM

I bought a book called the "Detox Diet" a little while ago, not even thinking it'd do anything for my acne. I've been doing the bp regimine on this site for about 2 years, and it's been pretty successful so getting rid of acne isn't really a high priority to me. So the reason I bought the book is because my cousin is a chiropractor (with a phd) and has become a "detox nut" of sorts, and hearing him talk for a hour will convince anyone to try detoxing.

After detoxing for 3 days, drinking only water mixed with lemon juice/pure maple syrup and some herbs, I had to quit because I gave into the pressure to eat (I wasn't really low on energy which was what i was expecting to be my downfall.) However I read the whole book, and I learned some foods to definetely stay away from (such as organ meats.) Not just for acne reasons but for a lot of different health reasons. And I do know that the amount of nasty slimey oil on my face has been reduced to almost nothing, and I'll gladly attribute this to (pretty much) eating foods that are low in toxins. And I am planning on trying in a few weeks a different cleaning system that the author of Detox diet suggested when I e-mailed him.

3 Things I will not put into my body:
- Pork and Organ Meats
- Caffeine
- Junk Food

Just reducing them in your diet will benefit you.

And a side note: I have been fighting this fight with eating healthy and not losing weight (I went from 170 to 150, now back up to around 160,) I was taking a product from GNC called "100% Whey Protein." Besides tasting like the Flouride treatments you get at the denis officet, within a week I was breaking out just like I did before I started eating right and before Is started using BP. This told me that stuff is powerful enough to override both of those things, which have kept my acne down to moderate break outs once every month or two (and when i say moderate I mean 2-3 pimples.) So I'd definitely stay away from that.