Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What a head nurse told me about acne

61 posts in this topic

Ben,

Awesome! No wonder dietary changes didn't work for you. All you had to do was alter your skin care regimen. LOL, that sometimes can make a WORLD of difference and should be everyone's first step. There's plenty of ingredients in skin & hair care products and laundry detergeants that can not only clog pores, but irritate, causing possibly a rash or obviously acne. Even now, with my dietary changes I'm able to use some products that contain mild pore cloggers (2- 3), but other products my skin is still reactive to. So I always strive to use the least irritating, "natural" or chirally correct formulations, that contain ingredients in the 0 - 1 pore clogging category. However, bear in mind, with or without dietary changes those products would've broken me out. My skin care regimen is the same now as it was 3 years ago, except I don't use much in the line of BHA,etc, because I don't breakout like I used to. If I ceased my dietary changes, the acne would come back, among other things.

Best wishes

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)

* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)

* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

* Strengthen/Repair GI - Immune health

Research:

* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).

* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

Nico seems to just like arguing with me so I don't even take the time to read his posts. To the other two that have replied, I am glad that we can agree to disagree. I think dietary changes are just coincidence changes in acne but if they work for you, I have no problem.

Good luck.

I wash with just Dove for Sensitive skin. That's it. And it cured me.

No wonder you're so f*cking naive. I forgive you.

Locnar

Reviled but not restrained.

For me, food does affect my acne, but it also largely effects my overall health as well...bread, for instance, puts me to sleep w/in about 10 minutes, alcohol and high sugar/starch foods make my knees throb more, etc (high glycemic foods are obviously not my friend). I try to stick somewhat close to what our ancestors would have eaten for most of our evolution - which does turn out to be foods that improve my health...i try to eat mostly salads and veggies and meat. My skin improves when eat lots of salads..probably all the fiber helping to cleanse my system more; if I don't eat meat for a coupl of days, I tend to get run down, emotional, and bitchy. It's easy for me to see that a certain diet is much healthier merely because of the negative effects that come almost immediately from eating stuff that's 'bad'. Starch/sugar makes me tired, makes my knees throb more at night; bread makes me sleepy, makes my stomach feel bloated (as does most dairy); lack of meat makes me rundown.

My stress and hormone levels are the other biggest effect. Topicals never made a dent in my acne, but it always correlated to my stress and hormone levels.

99.5% Clear (skin gets 'congested' PMS week, but no actual breakouts)

---------------------------

Fragrance-Free Baby Wipes + a few drops Rimmel Makeup Remover solution

3/4 AHA Toner* & 1/4 Glycerin (cotton pad) -- good toner, moisturizer, and makeup base (use less glycerin if not under makeup)

Occasional Treatments (2-3x/week): Exfoliating bp wash* in shower, 2.5% bp lotion* at night

CoverGirl TruBlend Powder Foundation

* = Klear Action Kit (Pro-Activ knockoff)

Gluten-free diet (for non-acne reasons, but it seems to have cleared my acne)

For me, food does affect my acne, but it also largely effects my overall health as well...bread, for instance, puts me to sleep w/in about 10 minutes, alcohol and high sugar/starch foods make my knees throb more, etc (high glycemic foods are obviously not my friend). I try to stick somewhat close to what our ancestors would have eaten for most of our evolution - which does turn out to be foods that improve my health...i try to eat mostly salads and veggies and meat. My skin improves when eat lots of salads..probably all the fiber helping to cleanse my system more; if I don't eat meat for a coupl of days, I tend to get run down, emotional, and bitchy. It's easy for me to see that a certain diet is much healthier merely because of the negative effects that come almost immediately from eating stuff that's 'bad'. Starch/sugar makes me tired, makes my knees throb more at night; bread makes me sleepy, makes my stomach feel bloated (as does most dairy); lack of meat makes me rundown.

My stress and hormone levels are the other biggest effect. Topicals never made a dent in my acne, but it always correlated to my stress and hormone levels.

For those of you who have changed your diet and have seen an improvement in acne, how long after the change did u notice a difference?

I'm trying Perricone's diet now and today's the 4th day and I look the same altho it's probably too early for it to effect much even tho Perricone states that you should see a difference in three days... doubt.gif

for me it has been a few weeks, however since I cheated and had a sandwhich and ice cream sundae, it kinda set me back. however, my face once again appears to clearing up.

i guess everybody is different.

I use to think that diet isn't related to acne. But for me, my diet has changed the severity of my breakouts. Its becomming rare to even get one zit now. I started my diet in the middle of March during spring break. I dont eat bread or rice. The only type of grain I eat everyday is oatmeal. I'm pretty much munching on fruit or vegies throughout the entire day. If my progress continues, I'll finally be clear of all my pigmented marks. I think everyone should consider changing their diet. Its beneficial in the long run if you can stick to it.

I bought a book called the "Detox Diet" a little while ago, not even thinking it'd do anything for my acne. I've been doing the bp regimine on this site for about 2 years, and it's been pretty successful so getting rid of acne isn't really a high priority to me. So the reason I bought the book is because my cousin is a chiropractor (with a phd) and has become a "detox nut" of sorts, and hearing him talk for a hour will convince anyone to try detoxing.

After detoxing for 3 days, drinking only water mixed with lemon juice/pure maple syrup and some herbs, I had to quit because I gave into the pressure to eat (I wasn't really low on energy which was what i was expecting to be my downfall.) However I read the whole book, and I learned some foods to definetely stay away from (such as organ meats.) Not just for acne reasons but for a lot of different health reasons. And I do know that the amount of nasty slimey oil on my face has been reduced to almost nothing, and I'll gladly attribute this to (pretty much) eating foods that are low in toxins. And I am planning on trying in a few weeks a different cleaning system that the author of Detox diet suggested when I e-mailed him.

3 Things I will not put into my body:

- Pork and Organ Meats

- Caffeine

- Junk Food

Just reducing them in your diet will benefit you.

And a side note: I have been fighting this fight with eating healthy and not losing weight (I went from 170 to 150, now back up to around 160,) I was taking a product from GNC called "100% Whey Protein." Besides tasting like the Flouride treatments you get at the denis officet, within a week I was breaking out just like I did before I started eating right and before Is started using BP. This told me that stuff is powerful enough to override both of those things, which have kept my acne down to moderate break outs once every month or two (and when i say moderate I mean 2-3 pimples.) So I'd definitely stay away from that.

the whole detox thing is kinda wrong and right.

first off people sometimes mention how the body will go into "cleansing mode", is there any proof of this?

why would you want to just eat lemon juice/pure maple syrup? what does this do exactly?

why not follow a healthy fruitful diet that does'nt do harm? such as (www.waisays.com), but thats my opinion of a healthy diet.

thanks!