Photo

Acne gets worse in the winter (too cold/dry)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dysic

Dysic

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:43 PM

I noticed my acne gets a lot worse in the winter...particularly in November and December. I've read it's because cold and dry irritate the skin...which causes acne.

So during the winter, I do cut back on my acne drying products...and I do use more moisturizer. Anyone have product advice to combat the dryness of winter? Like maybe a mildly drying acne product.

Also anything else I can do? Does anyone use a humidifier/vaporizer in their room? I started putting a small pot of water in my room to see if it makes the air less dry.

Right now...the products I use are:

Neutrogena Oil-free moisture (sensitive skin)
This is the best moisturizer I have ever used. I highly recommend it...although I haven't really tried out any other products.

Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash
I switch to this in the winter since it dries a little less than the other products. Still, it dries my skin a little too much so I eventually start using it every other day...or even go 3-5 days without using it.

Clean & Clear Continuous Control Acne Cleanser
Just FYI, I use this acne drying product during the warmer seasons. It does dry the skin a lot...but it's the best thing I've found so far.

I just need some advice or product suggestions to help control my acne which I've had for a long time. From my experience, drying the skin makes the acne significantly worse. During the winter, I constantly use moisturizer. I pretty much wash my face with warm water 4-5 times a day...and apply moisturizer after each time. I do use Acne wash, but when it gets too dry...I can go up to 3-5 days without using it.

So yeah, please post any advice, product suggestions....and regimens that you use during the winter to control dryness and acne.

Edit: I think I mainly need some advice on acne wash products that don't dry the skin too much. Please suggest a gentle acne wash/cleanser!

Thanks for reading!

PS: I've read some good things about Jojoba Oil!

Edited by Dysic, 30 December 2009 - 11:58 PM.

#2 Dysic

Dysic

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:40 PM

Just a quick bump.

So like every year, my skin got worse and worse as we got deeper into winter. It started a couple weeks before thanksgiving...and got really bad in december and january. It's getting warmer....and my skin is already improving a lot. Except for the old blemishes.....I have very very minor acne right now.

Anyone solve this mystery? i know im not the only one!!!

What else can I do besides moisturize, drink lots of water, use less acne medication!!

I don't want to keep dealing with this...my personality and confidence in the summer is way different/better than my personality in the winter.

#3 c'est la vigne

c'est la vigne

All aboard the nekobus!!!

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:45 PM

Moved to the General Acne Products board.

I don't have much advice as far as cleansers go. I do want to point out, though, that the fact that you're washing your face four or five times a day may be playing a huge part in the issues you're having with your skin.

In the winter, the air is dryer than it is in the summer. By washing your face so often, you're washing away the natural oils that seal moisture in, and the dry air is probably sucking the moisture right out of your skin. Your skin is probably pretty dry and irritated because you're over-washing, which could easily explain why you're breaking out more.

Try cutting back to only washing twice a day, and make sure you're using a good moisturizer. If you need to moisturize more than once a day, that's fine, but stick with washing no more than twice a day.

#4 Dysic

Dysic

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:02 PM

Thanks, I will definitely keep that in mind next winter!

#5 c'est la vigne

c'est la vigne

All aboard the nekobus!!!

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:04 PM

Lol, keep it in mind always! Over-washing at any time of year isn't good. ; )

#6 Sarah99

Sarah99

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:11 PM

jojoba oil is amazing.

An awesome cleanser is Burt's Bees Orange Essence wash. My face always feels fresh, clean, and moisturized!

I agree with washing as little as possible though. I'm on accutane now and I never wash my face, just let it get wet in the shower and moisturize like crazy after!

I think there is more to the winter/acne connection than just dryness though. Lack of sunshine (and vitamin D) anxiety due to school/work, lack of fresh clean air, an overall less active lifestyle (at least for me)...the list can go on. I'm always 1000X healthier in the Summer overall.

#7 Dysic

Dysic

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:21 PM

Wow, you bring up really good points sarah.

Summer: No school - less stress, more sun, more exercise, less dry
Winter: School exams - stress, less sun, less exercise, more dry

I can't believe I never thought about that!

Winter acne definitely seems to be from multiple factors.

#8 faizanakhtar

faizanakhtar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:27 PM

could be vitamin D deficiency