Photo

one a day teen advantage! good for acne??

vitamin k biotin riboflavin niacin calcium magnesium chromium zinc selenium

4 replies to this topic

#1 madelineee

madelineee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 December 2009 - 08:19 PM

here are the vitamins in one tablet:

Vitamin A
(20% as beta-carotene) 2500 IU 50%

Vitamin C 120 mg 200%

Vitamin D 800 IU 200%

Vitamin E 30 IU 100%

Vitamin K 25 mcg 31%

Thiamin (B1) 2.3 mg 153%

Riboflavin (B2) 2.6 mg 153%

Niacin 30 mg 150%

Vitamin B6 3 mg 150%

Folic Acid 400 mcg 100%

Vitamin B12 9 mcg 150%

Biotin 300 mcg 100%

Pantothenic Acid 10 mg 100%

Calcium (elemental) 300 mg 30%

Iron 18 mg 100%

Magnesium 50 mg 13%

Zinc 15 mg 100%

Selenium 20 mcg 29%

Copper 2 mg 100%

Manganese 2 mg 100%

Chromium 120 mcg 100%

#2 Mylia

Mylia

Nutritionist

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 December 2009 - 02:10 AM

It is so hard to say without knowing anything about your history, diet, or health, which nutrients would be most beneficial for you, and which multi. It is also important to realize that a multi is not a substitute for a balanced diet, and whole foods contain powerful combinations of nutrients that work synergistically to help your body thrive. Without adequate protein, fiber, water, and essential fatty acids from a varied, plant-based diet, your acne may still refuse to go away. That said, it isn't very realistic to expect a teenager to have the time or desire to be overly restrictive in their diet, so a daily multivitamin can be a good move.

One-a-Day is a very cheap brand which uses very low quality ingredients and some forms of nutrients which are inabsorbable, and can even have toxic effects. If you are considering One-a-Day, I would assume that you don't have loads of money to be throwing into this, however, there are some better choices out there that wont be too huge a blow to your wallet. Rainbow Light "Just Once" or "Women's One" are decent, low-cost ($5/month) multis with a nice balance of nutrients. New Chapter's Every Woman's One Daily is of very good quality, but if your diet is mostly junk food, you may need slightly higher levels of some nutrients (if you are eating well this one would be my 1st recommendation for quality and value). If you have a little more to spend, New Chapter's Source Natural's Life Force Multiple is a well rounded, mid-range supplement ($25/month). Or, If you are gung-ho about it, Life Extension Mix is a great formula, but a little intensive for a teenager (9 pills a day) and is a bit of an investment ($50-75/month).

Other good (low to mid-cost) brands include: Douglas Labs, NOW Foods, Jarrow, Pure Encapsulations, Apex, Metagenics, and Designs for Health.

if your diet is in really bad shape, and you are serious about clearing up your acne, I would suggest the following in addition to a good multi:

1. Balance blood sugar by eating balanced meals regularly: breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner. Don’t go longer than 4 hours without eating a meal or snack.
2. Address any digestive issues you may have. Consider taking digestive enzymes, probiotics, L-Glutamine, or Aloe Vera Juice if digestive issues are present.
3. Test yourself for dairy sensitivity: avoid dairy for 3-6 weeks, then reintroduce to see if dairy worsens the acne. Hormones in milk can trigger excess sebum production in the skin, which clogs the pores and causes blemishes.
4. Consider supplementing with fish oil, zinc, and B-Vitamins. These nutrients are commonly low in acne sufferers.
5. Eat 5-9 servings of fresh vegetables/day
6. Drink plenty of water: 1/2 ounce per pound of body weight per day
7. Eat foods high in essential fatty acids: raw nuts (walnuts, pecans especially), seeds, avocados, olive oil, fish (salmon, sardines, mackerel, halibut, etc), leafy green vegetables (kale, chard, spinach, mustard greens, beet greens, collards)
8. Eat enough fiber: 35g/day minimum
9. Exercise regularly
10. Eliminate all trans fats (hydrogenated oils of any kind), all high fructose corn syrup, and as many processed foods, refined carbohydrates, sugar, and chemical ingredients as possible including sugar substitutes.

Probably more than you were looking for, but I enjoy sharing information smile.gif hope this helps!

Edited by Mylia, 26 December 2009 - 02:34 AM.

#3 madelineee

madelineee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:14 AM

Thank you so much, very informative!!
This will really help! Thankss!
So I don't know if I am going to take a multi but if I dont do you think that a daily routine of fish oil and niacin would do me any good? I've read about the benefits of niacin on this site so yeah. and fish oil is always raved about. what is your opinion?

Also, I am a very healthy teenager...sure sometimes I like McDonalds gasp.gif but all-around I am healthy. I exercise very much throughout the week and I dont eat teerrible. I am thinking of trying the milk fast though lol.

Thanks!

#4 Mylia

Mylia

Nutritionist

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 December 2009 - 04:00 PM

I think everyone can benefit from fish oil, acne or not. I know for me personally, it improved my skin tone and reduced the inflammation from my cystic acne greatly. Niacin can be realy helpful too, so yes a niacin supplement or a B-Complex (contains niacin + other B-vitamins which can help with acne) would be a good move. If you have the money, I would still suggest taking a multi as most acne sufferers are deficient in some vitamin or mineral and it can't hurt to fill in some of the gaps in your diet. Those 3 things together, along with plenty of protein, fresh vegetables, water, and exercise would be a great simple regimen to start with.

I think the milk test would definitely be worth a shot in your case as I have seen it to e a very common aggrivator of acne, especially in teens where there are a lot of hormonal changes taking place to begin with. Good luck to you!

#5 .JacktheLad.

.JacktheLad.

sex drugs and sausage rolls

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:?

Achievements

Posted 26 December 2009 - 04:04 PM

there has been a lot of talk about multi vitamins causing cystic acne. have a look over in the cystic acne section

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users