Photo

An article everyone should read:

vitamin vitamins vitamin a vitamin e riboflavin niacin magnesium chromium zinc selenium

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 LLL3

LLL3

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:22 AM

http://www.iinr.org/...eports/ACNE.PDF

According to this article, I should take:

50,000 IU vitamin A
500 mg Riboflavin (B2)
xxx mg Vitamin E
200mg (3x/day) Niacinamide
200mg (3x/day) Lipoic Acid
500mg magnesium
1,000 mcg Chromium (in Picolinate form)
400 mcg Seleniumethionine
60mg Zinc

THAT'S 13 PILLS EVERYDAY(counting 3 pills of Niacinamide and 3 pills of Lipoic Acid)!!! That seems a little outrageous! Does anyone actually do this?

if so...

Do you take 9 pills, one after the other, every morning? How and when and in what combination should these pills be taken? or does it not matter?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

#2 LLL3

LLL3

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:17 AM

bump bump

#3 LiveLifeAcneFree

LiveLifeAcneFree

Acne Free Life

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:22 AM

I did not read the article, reading that you should take 13 pills in one day was enough.

It is best to get all your vitamins, minerals, and all essential nutrients in whole, natural foods. Unfortunately, the more healthy food is, the more expensive it is. And, it does not taste the best, usually. Eating more healthy is a process and it can take some time to develop. But, it is a lot of fun.

I have never been a pill person. I consume 1 multi vitamin a day and once in a while I will take a fish oil. That's it. I have a green smoothie everyday and eat salads often. I get a good amount of vitamins and minerals from these foods and am very healthy because of it.

I have been curing my acne holistically and am 90% clear because of it with minimal effort. I am in these forums to help others. So, feel free to send me a message if you want my help.

To an Acne Free Life,

Todd

#4 databased

databased

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE (LLL3 @ Dec 23 2009, 01:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
THAT'S 13 PILLS EVERYDAY(counting 3 pills of Niacinamide and 3 pills of Lipoic Acid)!!! That seems a little outrageous! Does anyone actually do this?

Take more than 13 pills per day? Sure. I do. Look, if you take a multivitamin, you're essentially taking perhaps 20 different substances. However, the makers of multivitamins tend to be about 10 years behind the research, so I just choose to create my own multivitamin based on the latest research -- and that takes about 20 pills. If someone combined the substances/doses I want into a single pill, then I would be able to take just one.

if so...

Do you take 9 pills, one after the other, every morning? How and when and in what combination should these pills be taken? or does it not matter?

Just on general principles, I would always try to split doses up between 2 different meals, and always try to take pills with a meal so that, whether fat- or water-soluble, they are more likely to be digested (in fact, some calcium researchers argue that the biggest factor in taking a calcium pill is whether you take it with a meal, rather than which brand/formulation you take).

In the particular case of zinc, I take it on an empty stomach just before bedtime (if I'm taking any, which I nowadays only do if I got insufficient bright light exposure during the day). The tight regulation of zinc in the body starts right at the intestines, where they will kinda "mucus up" to start refusing zinc -- the bigger dose of zinc you take, the smaller percentage of it actually gets through. In any case, that all means that zinc can interfere with the digestion of other things, so taking it on an empty stomach just before bed eliminates that possibility.

As to this specific pill set, IMHO:
The vitamin A is probably useless against acne. The megadose B2 and niacinamide can probably be replaced with a single Vitamin B complex that would be as, or more, helpful. The selenium is relevant for moving zinc ions to where they need to be to form zinc superoxide dismutase, which is relevant to acne. The chromium is probably irrelevant. The lipoic acid (hopefully it's alpha lipoic acid) is relevant to increasing superoxide dismutase levels, though it may require at least modest aerobic exercise to be effective.

I get a good amount of vitamins and minerals from these foods and am very healthy because of it.

Ever had your Vitamin D serum levels measured? If you aren't taking a pill, I bet your levels are far below 50, putting you at significant long-term risk of cancer, and not very healthy at all.

IMHO. biggrin.gif

#5 Drizzler

Drizzler

Man of the Mountains

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 23 December 2009 - 05:37 PM

Someone posted that article here a few months back. It really is an interesting read aside from the supplement recommendations... that is actually a pretty minor part of the article. A good part of it is an analysis of human nutritional needs, societal development and the changing diets with agriculture and such. I almost forgot I was reading an article about acne halfway through it... definitely worth it.

#6 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2009 - 05:45 PM

I used to take 40 pills a day. Vitamins, minerals, omegas...

#7 LLL3

LLL3

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:05 AM

I decided to go out and get some of these supplements to try out. It can't hurt right?

Day1 : at 3pm after a meal I took 5 pills: Vitamin A (25,000 IU), Vitamin B-2(250mg), Lipoic Acid (200mg), Chromium (500mcg), Selenium(100mcg)

then at 12am : I took the same 5 pills plus Vitamin E (400 IU) and Zinc (50mg).

Right now I have moderate acne so we'll see what happens. I'll post an update if anything improves (fingers crossed)

#8 Deadmau5

Deadmau5

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:20 AM

I've been telling this to people in my sig for past few months.

Worked for me. Just I recommend not taking the Vitamin A. Just eat a lot of tomatoes and carrot products.

Also after a few weeks of taking it daily. Cut down to 2-3 times a week. It really does build up in your system and you'll feel you don't need to take that much a day.

Best of luck, either this cleared me or I outgrew acne.No Dairy helped a lot too I think.

Edited by Deadmau5, 24 December 2009 - 12:23 AM.

#9 LLL3

LLL3

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:45 AM

Day 5:

I haven't had any new breakouts for 3 days! My face is clear except for a few barely noticeable ones from when before I started taking the vitamins.

I stopped taking Vitamin A pills because I was told they can be toxic. I eat plenty of tomatoes and veggies for Vitamin A.

I FEEL GREAT! I LOOK GREAT! This is amazing!! I haven't been this clear in a very long time. My skin is also much less oily and has less of a shine. Even 8 hours after I've washed, I still feel clean.

I think everyone with acne should be taking these vitamins! It cleared me up in 4-5 days!! Now I'm ready for the New Year's Eve party!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 Q_P

Q_P

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:36 PM

I have been trying almost the same supplement regimen for about two days now with not much improvement yet, but I think it will help and plan to keep at it for two months. I have digestion issues, so my results will be affected by those. This is what I take:

Morning:
700 mg Vit. C + 500 mg Quercetin
Probiotic
250 mg Niacinamide
400 mg Magnesium Glycinate
400 mcg Chromium
HCL

Lunch:
B-Complex with 500 mg Vit. C or 1 tablespoon Brewer's Yeast
1200 mg Lecithin
1 tablespoon hemp oil
HCL

Dinner:
250 mg Niacinamide
250 mg B-2
400 IU Vit. E
200 mcg Selenium
400 mcg Chromium
50 mg R-Lipoic Acid (supposedly 10x more potent than regular ALA)
HCL

After Dinner:
1/4 teaspoon L-Glutamine

I'll report back in a week with my (hopefully good!) results. cool.gif

Edited by QuirkyPixy, 27 December 2009 - 12:41 PM.

#11 LLL3

LLL3

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:45 AM

Day 6: Well....I broke out. sad.gif sad.gif I noticed it a little last night before bed. when I woke up this morning BANG about 20 new ones all over on my forehead and checks. They are small but dark and noticeable sad.gif I haven't done anything differently. 2 nights ago I ate out at an Italian restaurant.I order chicken Francese with pasta then went out drinking( mostly beer). last night I went out for sushi. This has to be the reason why I broke out. Big mistake drinking so much beer and eating out 2 nights in a row.

AHHHH I need a quick detox before NYE. I'm drinking 10 cups of (decaf) tea tonight. that usually does the trick.

(very frustrated right now with this inconsistency!)

#12 gMARIAs

gMARIAs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (LLL3 @ Dec 28 2009, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Day 6: Well....I broke out. sad.gif sad.gif I noticed it a little last night before bed. when I woke up this morning BANG about 20 new ones all over on my forehead and checks. They are small but dark and noticeable sad.gif I haven't done anything differently. 2 nights ago I ate out at an Italian restaurant.I order chicken Francese with pasta then went out drinking( mostly beer). last night I went out for sushi. This has to be the reason why I broke out. Big mistake drinking so much beer and eating out 2 nights in a row.

AHHHH I need a quick detox before NYE. I'm drinking 10 cups of (decaf) tea tonight. that usually does the trick.

(very frustrated right now with this inconsistency!)

Try Pau D'arco tea. It's supposed to have a detox affect if that's what you're going for.

I'm not sure there's any such thing as a QUICK detox. XP