Photo

Weird - MY SKIN DOESN'T EXFOLIATE

aha alpha hydroxy acid makeup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie9999

sharpie9999

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:25 PM

I have a sea of blackheads on my nose, forehead, and cheeks. Other than that, my skin is clear.
In an attempt to conceal this, I've tried using liquid foundation (makeup). However, for some odd reason, as I apply the makeup onto my skin, I can see dead skin cells underneath the makeup. In other words, it looks like I don't exfoliate.

But, of course I do. In my attempt to eliminate the problem, I've tried:
- pH balanced AHA and BHA products (1-2 times per week)for several months with no results.
- Retin-A for 3 months with no results.
- an exfoliating scrub
- I've applied duct tape onto my face, slowly peeling it off, and seeing some dead skin come off, but even then, I still see flaky dead skin cells underneath as I apply foundation(makeup). They aren't visible when my skin is bare, however, they show up underneath makeup.

It is not visible from a few feet away. You would need to come very close to my face to see it.

For this reason, I avoid wearing liquid foundation. I only use powder foundation, and even then, the dead skin eventually becomes visible by the end of the day. I am NOT dehydrated either, I normally drink close to 2 liters of water daily. I'm also not on any medication.

My family doctor managed to get me an appointment with one of the top dermatologists in my city, and I will be seeing him next year. I fear the derm scolding me because I'm a clear-skinned patient with a mere cosmetic problem. This derm typically treats those with the most severe skin problems.

In a nutshell, MY SKIN WON'T EXFOLIATE!!! For this reason, I dont feel my moisturizers and sunscreens are penetrating as effectively as they could be.

Does anyone experience/experienced the same problem? Please give me your insight. Thank you.

Edited by sharpie9999, 06 December 2009 - 08:55 PM.

#2 ladybullgod

ladybullgod

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:42 PM

I'm no expert, but it sounds like you could possibly be over treating your skin. If you strip your skin of it's natural oils the pores become even more clogged with dry skin cells. That's just what I'm thinking...someone else on here should be able to explain it better.
I am on this journey for a reason...

#3 sharpie9999

sharpie9999

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:49 PM

the dead skin cells have been a problem BEFORE I've resorted to those tactics. I've used those methods in an attempt to eliminate the problem. But thank you for your response. I will edit the post to clear any further confusion.

Edited by sharpie9999, 06 December 2009 - 08:59 PM.

#4 GoTigers

GoTigers

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:50 PM

Hello, I am new to this forum, but I have the same problem. I don't go to a dermatoligist anymore because the expensive creams don't help this type of problem. The only thing that has helped me is to go to a nearby spa where they specialize in dermaplanning once a month. Dermaplanning is an outpatient procedure where a surgical technician uses a scalpel to scrape dead skin off your face. I was diagnosed with this problem and I currently go every two months and I also use glycolic acid twice a day and retin-a (60 percent, La-Roche Posay) every other night. I get weird little embedded bumps, especially around my upper lip. This is the only thing that helps me get rid of that dry flaky skin you are talking about, that is especially seen when makeup is applied. Sometimes I will think my skin looks and feels mosturized in the morning and I put on my makeup to find it looks dry and flaky. I've added a new product from Avalon Organics called Vitamin C Oil-Free Rejuvenating Mosturizer. The dermaplanning is a little pricey but not too bad. It is around 65 dollars a visit for me but it will definitley improve the look and feel of your skin. It does not hurt, it is non-invasive and it is the only way I have found to work. Some people just need a little extra help with their skin. My skin is not perfect by no means, but it has come a long way since highschool.

#5 sharpie9999

sharpie9999

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:00 AM

Hello GoTigers, thank you for your response. My skin isn't flaky or dry, but it only appears that way under makeup. Otherwise, my skin looks "normal" when it's bare and you wouldn't be able to detect any dead skin on my face.

I've tried retin-a and glycolic acid with no results. My skin underneath makeup still looks like I don't exfoliate even though I exfoliate regularly, but not too much. It's not a severe problem, you would need to come up very close to my face to see the dead skin. I just feel frustrated because all the dead skin is blocking products from fully penetrating my skin and that's probably why all the products I've tried haven't worked for me.

Edited by sharpie9999, 18 January 2010 - 12:03 AM.

#6 GoTigers

GoTigers

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:26 AM

Since your skin isn't exfoliating properly, there are layers and layers of dead skin that are stopping moisturizer from getting the your good skin. Hope that make sense. You REALLY should try dermaplanning. Go on youtube and type it in and there are several videos that will come up. It looks scary because they use a scalpel, but it's not. You can barely feel it. I would take a day and visit some salons and spas in your area that specialize in dermaplanning. It should not cost you more than 65 dollars for one visit. You may need to go a few times, but I usually go every 2 and half months when my skin starts looking lackluster. I live in SC where it is humid in the summer and very dry in the winter, I thought that may have something to do with my skin problems. What you are describing is very similar to my situation, Except along with the dry looking skin under my makeup, I also have these small bumps that look like little pebbles under my skin. I think once you go for a visit, you will be impressed with the results. Some girls/guys just need a little extra help and dermaplanning is the way to go. They may also do extractions if you like and mild peels or "lunchtime peels. This will help shed the dead skin as well. This should be included in the price. Please don't try doing your own version of this! I tried putting iodine on my face and shaving it. I ended up cutting my self. Razors can also breed bacteria so this is not a good idea. So go google your nearest spas now and tell me what you think after your visit! Please give this a try!

#7 GoTigers

GoTigers

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:31 AM

P.S. It is not a big deal, but it is a big deal to the people who have the problems! I tell my boyfriend I have these skin problems and he's like what are you talking about I don't see anything wrong! I've been struggling with skin issues since I was 7! You are your worst critique! I also forgot to mention to wear sunscreen, even in the winter and especially if you get the dermaplanning done. Your skin will be a little sensitive and you may feel a little numbness if you rub your hand on your cheek. This is normal and will go away in a day or two. I promise it does not hurt and there is no down time; an important upside!

#8 sharpie9999

sharpie9999

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:00 PM

Thank you for your input, I will mention dermaplanning when I see my dermatologist in a few weeks. One last thing, I'm not positively certain you have the same issue as I do.

No dead skin is apparent when my skin is naked, but these dead skin cells appear underneath makeup. And no exfoliater(physical or chemical) has delivered any results. I spoke to a few ladies who work at cosmetic counters and they say that's "odd".

Just double checking.

Edited by sharpie9999, 18 January 2010 - 10:04 PM.

#9 GoTigers

GoTigers

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:47 PM

Hey, maybe I just elaborated way to much on my last post haha. No I understand your problem; your skin looks normal when you have no makeup on, but when you put makeup on, your skin looks dry/flakey. I have that problem ALOT! When your skin is naked, you can't see any dry skin, but after you apply makeup, you see the dead skin. Most makeup dries out your skin and will make it appear much worse than it actually is. The dermaplanning will help. If the chemicals haven't done anything, I wouldn't go back to that. It's just an extra step they add in after they do the dermaplanning because I have clogged pores. The dermaplanning dosen't involve any scalpels! Just scraping away layers of dead skin, that you don't even know you have. What kind of makeup are you using? I use Bareminerals and sometimes that does more bad than good and it brings attention to spots that look dry that didn't look or feel dry before I put the makeup on! Hope we are on the same level now!

#10 sharpie9999

sharpie9999

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:15 PM

Yep, you do have the same issue as me. smile.gif

I currently use powder foundation(by L'oreal) because it's the only type of foundation I can wear that doesn't reveal the dry/flaky skin. Although late into the day, those dead skin eventually appear. I avoid liquid foundations because, when applied, it reveals dead skin underneath.

Do you know the reason behind this issue we have? I don't know anyone else who has this problem.

#11 GoTigers

GoTigers

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:24 AM

I would say its due to bad genes, but I have more hope than that. I currently use Bare Minerals. Loreal is ok but check the ingredients. Alot of liquid makeups have things in them that make your skin appear dry. I'm absolutley terrified of anything with parabens, dimethicone or silicone in it. I try to stay away from lotions, deodorants, and mostly makeup with parabens in it. They are foreign substances and the body reacts in a negative way to it. Parabens have been linked to breat cancer. Dimethicone clogs pores. And silicone is just yucky for your face. I'm getting off subject a bit, but you should really try a mineral makeup. It's not better than wearing no makeup but if you want coverage, you should consider it. I've heard of a product called 100 percent pure cosmetics that claims to use only 100 percent vegan ingredients. I am by no means a vegan but think its a good concept. While all mineral or all natural makeups are not equiavalent, and some "minerals" are not even found naturally in the earth, proceed any type of makeup with caution. I've been trying to wear as little as possible. I'm a senior in college though and sometimes I want to look good for interviews and stuff. Less is more when it comes to makeup. Since the liquid makeup is making your skin look this way, I would try to start using less. I've heard makeup ages you, which may or may not be true. Just remember you are what you eat. Your skin is going to absorb some makeup, so whatever you put on it, make sure it's good. Even if loreal may not break your skin out or anything, i would toss it and try a more natural makeup along with the dermaplanning I mentioned. I know you probably didn't want all my opinions about makeup ingredients, but maybe this will improve how your skin looks!

#12 GoTigers

GoTigers

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:36 AM

I don't know WHAT causes our problem though. I just think that some makeup looks better on others than some I guess...maybe due to pore size, hydration, genes, sun damage, etc. Being diagnosed (haha it's not a serious illness or anything but I would call it a syndrome) with skin thats unable to shed itself isnt the end of the world, but it's def. frustrating. I come home and take all my makeup off because most of the time I hate the way I look with it on, but I don't want people to see all my flaws. Maybe it's just in our heads that our skin looks this way. My boyfriend thinks I'm silly. We have just got to figure out what is going to work best for our skin type!

#13 GoTigers

GoTigers

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:05 PM

I went back to your first post and realized something...is your skin looking dry where you apply it on your blackheads? That is what is showing through your makeup. I have that prob too. Makeup sometimes accentuates pores/clogged pores, especially if it has some kind of light reflecting mineral in it, like mica. You need a matte foundation and I think it will hide this better. Try Bare Minerals Matte, it won't clog your pores and this might solve the problem too

#14 GoTigers

GoTigers

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:29 PM

Let me know when you try the dermaplanning, I'm so excited for you to get some great results!