Photo

Fish oil causing acne?

vitamin vitamins fish oil zinc aha alpha hydroxy acid

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#21 kittenpaw

kittenpaw

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:35 PM

my god.. I was just so excited to buy fish oil supplements -brand i chose is nordic naturals- but as I read here I'm worried what happens if I take.. sad.gif do u think if your break outs might be caused by over dose that your liver might have reacted to it? I was thinking of taking not daily but 2-3 pills a week.

#22 IHatePimplesGrr

IHatePimplesGrr

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (Mirrfiak @ Dec 26 2010, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Take Twin Lab UNFLAVORED Liquid Cod Liver Oil. The junk that's being sold as fish oil is just that: junk. I've bought the cheap-o stuff from Walmart... broke open a pill by chewing it and guess what... it isn't even fish oil! It's like...water in a capsule!

At least with the liquid liver oil I -KNOW- if it's liver oil (duh) and I -KNOW- if it's rancid or not.

http://www.amazon.co..._ecc_rvi_cart_1

Subscribe to it (you can cancel at any time) to get an even larger discount with free shipping. Total cost comes to like $4/month depending on how much of this stuff you swig. Cheaper and better than any of the "other" stuff out there that costs twice as much.

You know, you probably shouldn't be taking that Twinlab Cod Liver Oil... It's been named in a lawsuit in California (both Twinlab Norwegian Cod Liver Oil and Twinlab Emulsified Norwegian Cod Liver Oil) as having an excessive amount of PCBs. I wouldn't take cod liver oil from any brand anyway, because the liver is a detoxifying organ, so oil taken from the liver of a fish will have more toxins in it. This usually isn't the case with regular fish oil!

I don't know what brand of fish oil you bought, but it obviously was a very cheap and non-reputable brand. When buying fish oil, look for a few things: that it's enteric coated (meaning that you won't get any fish burps), that it's molecularly distilled (to rid it of PCBs/mercury/other toxins), and that it has a high concentration of EPA and DHA (the omega-3s). Many fish oils only have a combined amount of 300mg of EPA and DHA. Two brands that I found work well for me in controlling acne are Berkley & Jensen Odorless Fish Oil (sold at BJ's) and NOW Ultra Omega-3. The former has about 600mg of omega-3s and the latter has 750mg (which I'm taking now!). Nordic Naturals has an even higher concentration, but it's about $60 for 90 servings. shock.gif But, yeah, fish oil has been great for me... Stay away from cod liver oil!

Edited by IHatePimplesGrr, 03 January 2011 - 11:36 AM.

#23 IHatePimplesGrr

IHatePimplesGrr

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE (IHatePimplesGrr @ Jan 3 2011, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Mirrfiak @ Dec 26 2010, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Take Twin Lab UNFLAVORED Liquid Cod Liver Oil. The junk that's being sold as fish oil is just that: junk. I've bought the cheap-o stuff from Walmart... broke open a pill by chewing it and guess what... it isn't even fish oil! It's like...water in a capsule!

At least with the liquid liver oil I -KNOW- if it's liver oil (duh) and I -KNOW- if it's rancid or not.

http://www.amazon.co..._ecc_rvi_cart_1

Subscribe to it (you can cancel at any time) to get an even larger discount with free shipping. Total cost comes to like $4/month depending on how much of this stuff you swig. Cheaper and better than any of the "other" stuff out there that costs twice as much.

You know, you probably shouldn't be taking that Twinlab Cod Liver Oil... It's been named in a lawsuit in California (both Twinlab Norwegian Cod Liver Oil and Twinlab Emulsified Norwegian Cod Liver Oil) as having an excessive amount of PCBs. I wouldn't take cod liver oil from any brand anyway, because the liver is a detoxifying organ, so oil taken from the liver of a fish will have more toxins in it. This usually isn't the case with regular fish oil!

I don't know what brand of fish oil you bought, but it obviously was a very cheap and non-reputable brand. When buying fish oil, look for a few things: that it's enteric coated (meaning that you won't get any fish burps), that it's molecularly distilled (to rid it of PCBs/mercury/other toxins), and that it has a high concentration of EPA and DHA (the omega-3s). Many fish oils only have a combined amount of 300mg of EPA and DHA. Two brands that I found work well for me in controlling acne are Berkley & Jensen Odorless Fish Oil (sold at BJ's) and NOW Ultra Omega-3. The former has about 600mg of omega-3s and the latter has 750mg (which I'm taking now!). Nordic Naturals has an even higher concentration, but it's about $60 for 90 servings. shock.gif But, yeah, fish oil has been great for me... Stay away from cod liver oil!

#24 Jaerid

Jaerid

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:05 PM

I don't feel like dissecting your ramble of a post, because literally every sentence is just whack as hell. You have ZERO idea what you're talking about.

Edited by Mirrfiak, 03 January 2011 - 08:51 PM.

#25 Sandman21

Sandman21

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (Mirrfiak @ Jan 3 2011, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't feel like dissecting your ramble of a post, because literally every sentence is just whack as hell. You have ZERO idea what you're talking about.

Then why did YOU bother posting? confused.gif

Edited by Sandman21, 03 January 2011 - 08:32 PM.

#26 Idolator

Idolator

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:51 PM

Sometime last week I quit taking fish oil, and the first two days after I quit, I didn't get any new acne...

Coincidence?

#27 Jaerid

Jaerid

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (Sandman21 @ Jan 3 2011, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Mirrfiak @ Jan 3 2011, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then why did YOU bother posting? confused.gif

To express my opinion that she's wrong, but also to express my feeling that is isn't worth my time to sit there and type out a long-winded response depicting why. Saying that Twinlab is a cheap and non-reputable company and then going on to praise Berkley & Jensen is, well, ironic to say the least. That statement by itself carries enough weight in itself that I don't -need- to explain why she's wrong.

So, why did YOU bother posting? Oh yeah, because you're a troll.

Edited by Mirrfiak, 03 January 2011 - 08:56 PM.

#28 Jaerid

Jaerid

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (Symmetry @ Jan 3 2011, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sometime last week I quit taking fish oil, and the first two days after I quit, I didn't get any new acne...

Coincidence?

It's going to take you a lot longer than 2 days to make a judgement call. A month is more like it.

#29 wicky

wicky

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:49 AM

i too break out from fish/flax and epo..what about taking borage oil?

#30 derkchang

derkchang

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:50 PM

Half a year ago, I bought this orange bottle fish oil that contained both omega 6&9 which broke me out like crazy. Deep cystic acne along my jawline. Than I stumble across acne.org and found out it was fish oil that caused me these type of pimple. I then switch to "natures made" fish oil and kept me clear for a good two three months. Just occasional zits here and there. No biggie. I recently ran out of natures made and bought GNC's fish oil1000 and bam! cysts started to appear once again. I think wut brand of fish oil really matters.

#31 wicky

wicky

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:17 AM

wow good to know...so what is the best type out there? I remember hearing something about Nordic?

#32 Maximus Decimus Merideous

Maximus Decimus Merideous

Max

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:58 AM

wow i have been taking fish oil for along time, every single poster pretty much on this thread has said its breaking them out...id like to bump this thread and see if people still have bad reactions to fish oil (iv heard such good things in the past..can it all be a lie lol??)

#33 Maximus Decimus Merideous

Max

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:32 PM

BUMP

#34 vapor1

vapor1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

It really depends on the brand. I took one brand and it gave me a cyst-like pimple (first one ever), so i stopped using it and started another, and the new one is working very well. It's just trial and error
Clear as long as I stick to Paleo - lots of meats, vegetables, healthy fats, and small amounts of fruit. Supplements: CLO/ fish oil, Mg, vit. D3, vit. E.

#35 Maximus Decimus Merideous

Max

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (vapor1 @ Apr 5 2011, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It really depends on the brand. I took one brand and it gave me a cyst-like pimple (first one ever), so i stopped using it and started another, and the new one is working very well. It's just trial and error

If i may ask what brand are u using now and wat brand broke u out?

Im using GNC triple strength with krill

#36 AKL

AKL

Retired Mod

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:43 AM

If contamination is what worries you, this may be a good starting point: IFOS certified fish oil products (use the drop-down box on the top-right of the page to browse through the different categories).

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment. I told them they didn’t understand life.” - John Lennon

#37 MrBodyacne

MrBodyacne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:54 AM

It's possible. But Fish oil is great for your body. It helps maintain healthy heart and liver function. But a guess a small majority of people get negative affects.
You have acne, Acne doesn't Have you :]

#38 epicdermis

epicdermis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:46 PM

Has anyone else tried the CVS generic brand?

#39 derkchang

derkchang

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:22 AM

true...trial and error. u must test it out to really know if the fish oil really works for you because one fish might work on one but might be allergic to another. the bottom line is, fish oil should make your face less oily. so if you wake up in the morning and find your face oilier than usual and see cystic acne continue to form. that means you should stop this fish oil completely. but than again, there might be "initial breakout" kinda phenomena. just give yourself two weeks to try one product

#40 derkchang

derkchang

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:27 AM

top rated fish oil brand that ppl suggest:

nordic, carlsons, market america fish oil (pricey), usana, health from the sun, natures made

Edited by derkchang, 23 May 2011 - 11:29 AM.