7329 replies to this topic

#6481 Geeking

Geeking

Nowhere Fast. Lightning Fast.

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:14 AM

I'm so annoyed. I have two pimples that hurt, one on either side of my nose, in nearly the exact same spot and red (that's so embarrassing, it's pretty much an acne sufferers worst scenario, ironic acne). All I can think of is the weather, I really haven't had any break outs for months- and now!

Also I didn't know having a flaky nose was a thing, I have that! I try and put lotion but it still flakes.

I feel cursed for life right now.
"...But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see..."

#6482 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:57 PM

I had this annoying but fairly small pimple on my forehead that wasn't going down, and last night I popped it even though it wasn't ready for it (what a mistake!). This morning it still looked swollen and like it might scab, so I tried to pop it again. Now it just looks mutilated. sad.png I put a hydrocolloid bandage on and will wear it for at least two days now without touching the whole thing. Hopefully it will heal okay.

This just means that I can't really go out much this weekend. I know I shouldn't care about stuff like this and make it such a big deal, especially at my age and considering how long I've dealt with acne, but I do feel awkward going out with a strange thick orange plastic plate in the middle of my face. Having just a pimple would be much less awkward. Serves me right I guess. At least I can go to the store if I pull my winter hat down to cover it and just look a bit silly.

A bit pointless this post, but I just wanted to vent somewhere. If I told about this to my partner (who's out of town) or anyone else, they would just think I was being ridiculous letting one pimple control me like this. I guess it's my choice to put a ridiculous plaster on it to make sure it heals well, but oh well. Stupid acne troubles.

ah, I think we've all been here...picking at a spot that's not ready at all and then "hey why not!"-picking at it until it's a huge irritated mess on your face. I used to keep picking at those type of spots day after day, but I think it's a good idea to put some sort of physical barrier there so that there's not even a chance for that to happen. Good idea! Don't worry about "pointlessness" of posts done here-- it's here for that very reason-- venting to the world of acne sufferers! Scabs prevent me from going out more often than bumps under the skin...you'd think I'd learn to not pick, then!! -_- haha Hoping for quick healing for you!

Thanks. Yes, hydrocolloid bandages are really great for healing skin. Also it's true that out of sight - out of mind. I can usually relax about my spot and just let it be when there's a bandaid on.

Unfortunately my saga with this spot continues. I had to switch the bandaid the next day and it had a little head which I had to squeeze. Then I put a new bandaid on, but I could only keep it for one more day. On Sunday when I took it off, the skin looked red and a bit puffy but alright. However, the skin wasn't done healing and dried up to this thin scab. Whenever I've used hydrocolloid bandaids and had to stop too early, the scabs end up looking a bit weird. This one also seems to have raised edges around it. The thing that worries me the most though is that it looks VEEERY indented. I wasn't expecting this, it didn't look like it would scar at all on Sunday and I can't tell if it's just how the scab has crumpled up while healing making it look like a scar or if it's truly indented. Or well, it definitely looks truly indented. :( However, after I wash my face and the scab gets wet the skin looks perfectly smooth, but soon after it again looks VERY indented. I'm really pining for the scab to fall so I could see I got a new scar or not. This is also quite large and almost right between my eyebrows, so it would be noticeable. Agh. No more picking.

#6483 Valerie44

Valerie44

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 18
About Me
  • Interests:I love spending time with my family and wonderful husband. I also enjoy going to the movies, working out, shopping, and anything to do with beauty. Plz feel free to add me as a friend, would love to chat with people who are going thru the same acne issues as me.

Achievements

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:01 PM

Well after my last post I had 2 more pimples show up on my face, the 3 cysts I had already were bad enough so today my derm fit me in and gave me some cortizone shots and told me to hang in there with Spiro that it takes up to 6 months to start really working. He also said I can come in any time to get the shots when I needed so that made me feel some what better. I'm trying to enjoy my visit with my son and not worry about my skin but it's so hard!!!!!!

MORNING

Wash face with Skinceuticals Simply Clean
Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Moisturizer
Take Minocycline 100mg (when needed)

NIGHT
Take Spironolactone 50 mg
Apply Aczone 5%
Retin-A .1% (waits 20 to 30 mins before applying)

MAKEUP

Origins Silk Screen Powder in Light Spice from Macys

Dermablend Smooth Indulgence Foundation
Lancôme Blush in Shimmery Pink Pool
Origins Lipstick in Buttercup
BareMinerals Flawless Definition Mascara in Black
Sephora Contour Eye Pencil Water Proof in Black Lace

#6484 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, trying new things, finding my inner strength through this struggle.

Acne has broken me down but i am hopefully that one day things will get better.

Achievements

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:36 AM

Feeling ok about my acne - it's still there but not in the forefront.  I am back home in sunny Jamaica for my aunt's funeral so my focus is to be with my family.  It feels great.

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end.  Here's to finding my end.

God is good to me..........more than I deserve.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

#6485 maria199

maria199

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Medicine, Physics-Chemistry-Maths, gardening

Achievements

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

Well after my last post I had 2 more pimples show up on my face, the 3 cysts I had already were bad enough so today my derm fit me in and gave me some cortizone shots and told me to hang in there with Spiro that it takes up to 6 months to start really working. He also said I can come in any time to get the shots when I needed so that made me feel some what better. I'm trying to enjoy my visit with my son and not worry about my skin but it's so hard!!!!!!

I had breakouts even 5-6 months after starting spiro, don't be disappointed!

What clears my acne:

Spironolactone 100 mg + limiting dairy

indoxyl (duac) gel + aha + baby brush for comedones.

3hnd.jpg

#6486 Valerie44

Valerie44

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I love spending time with my family and wonderful husband. I also enjoy going to the movies, working out, shopping, and anything to do with beauty. Plz feel free to add me as a friend, would love to chat with people who are going thru the same acne issues as me.

Achievements

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

wow, it's just disappointing for me since I was clear without it for 4 months and now that I,'m into my 2nd month on Spiro it's causing a break out but I'm going to keep going and get facials to see if that will might help. On a good note, I'm having a blast with my son visiting :)

MORNING

NIGHT
Apply Aczone 5%

MAKEUP

#6487 maria199

maria199

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:40 PM

wow, it's just disappointing for me since I was clear without it for 4 months and now that I,'m into my 2nd month on Spiro it's causing a break out but I'm going to keep going and get facials to see if that will might help. On a good note, I'm having a blast with my son visiting smile.png

Don't worry, clear days are ahead smile.png . I am happy that you have a good time!

Me, i stopped b.p. for a few days because my skin was really irritated and flaky and now i have a few more comedones. B.p. does nothing to prevent inflamed acne but i think it was great for comedones.. i 'll see if i get results by applying it every other day so i can avoid this irritation. I really hate that stuff.. the new one is so expensive but at least it doesn't smell like the one i had before starting spiro the first time. I was so happy when i thought that i actually got rid of that useless irritating smelly bleaching thing..

What clears my acne:

3hnd.jpg

#6488 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, trying new things, finding my inner strength through this struggle.

Achievements

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

Something almost as bad as acne?  Mosquito bites!  I have one on my face and 8 on both sides of mu neck.  Looks like acne, feels like acne except that they itch....bummer.

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end.  Here's to finding my end.

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

#6489 MoonlitRiver

MoonlitRiver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:46 AM

Well I'm breaking out as per usual and I genuinely want to die right now. Why won't my dermatologist just give me Accutane like he would to anyone else?!

His theory: "Oh you have depression? Well then I'll just continue to withhold the only drug that's ever going to give you any hope of clear skin from you for over five months because that's obviously going to make you feel better and more like your life's actually worth living." Freaking genius. Gah!

My Current Treatment Plan

Morning: Lymecycline

Evening: Dianette + Epiduo

Diet: eliminated dairy

My Log: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/331567-diary-of-a-three-pronged-attack-my-mission-to-get-clear-skin-and-avoid-roaccutane/#entry3369787 

Acne status: essentially clear and just waiting for hyperpigmentation to fade

"I would rather learn what it feels like to burn than feel nothing at all." ~ Ron Pope

#6490 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:51 AM

Well I'm breaking out as per usual and I genuinely want to die right now. Why won't my dermatologist just give me Accutane like he would to anyone else?!

His theory: "Oh you have depression? Well then I'll just continue to withhold the only drug that's ever going to give you any hope of clear skin from you for over five months because that's obviously going to make you feel better and more like your life's actually worth living." Freaking genius. Gah!

Go to another derm

#6491 MoonlitRiver

MoonlitRiver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:53 AM

Go to another derm

Can't. NHS. :(

My Current Treatment Plan

Morning: Lymecycline

Evening: Dianette + Epiduo

Diet: eliminated dairy

My Log: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/331567-diary-of-a-three-pronged-attack-my-mission-to-get-clear-skin-and-avoid-roaccutane/#entry3369787 

Acne status: essentially clear and just waiting for hyperpigmentation to fade

"I would rather learn what it feels like to burn than feel nothing at all." ~ Ron Pope

#6492 Andrei11

Andrei11

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:52 AM

I had to wait 15 minutes in line at a shop sweating, with my hoodie on so that nobody would see my disgusting acne and my pathetic attempt of trying to cover it up with foundation cream because I'm a male and don't know how to properly do that... ;( So unlucky..

#6493 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:22 AM

breaking out 10 ways to Sunday in my tropical paradise.  could be acne or mosquito bites- ugh.  Hoping its mosquito bites that will make like a bee and buzz away.

#6494 Valerie44

Valerie44

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:45 PM

Today I'm feeling good about my face, no new pimples have formed and the ones the dermatologist injected have gone away so YAY to that!!! I'm still taking the 50 mg of Spiro and in two weeks it will be my 2nd month on it, keeping my fingers crossed no more flare ups will happen!!!

MORNING

NIGHT
Apply Aczone 5%

MAKEUP

#6495 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:46 AM

I haven't changed anything about how I do the regimen - but I've been breaking out a whole lot more than normal lately. It's really annoying. Today was the first time in a while where I felt embarrassed about my skin / didn't want other people to see it. 

I guess the past week has been a bit stressful and disrupted (haven't slept much or well). It's been exciting too though. I started my masters degree last monday (and graduate from my bachelor degree next tuesday - so hoping my skin clears up a bit by then). It's quite a full on degree  - long days and early starts - but I'll adjust to that soon enough and hopefully my skin will too. I think lack of sleep might be contributing to the break outs. 

It's annoying though to be dealing with 'problem' skin now though as I want to be making a good impression on other people in my degree and feel like I can't when my skin is a bit of a mess...

I have met some nice people though and everyone seems friendly so far. I am the youngest in the degree though which is fine. But most of the people I've been talking too are 25 - 28 or a little older - and majority of people are either in long term relationships or married... which makes it awkward for me (or makes me feel awkward) when at lunch or whenever, and they'll be talking about their partners in one way or another. I'm just hoping they don't ask me about whether I'm in a relationship or have past relationships etc because my answer will be no. And I don't want to have to answer anything like that 

I still feel weird or stupid or something for being 20 and not having had a relationship of any sort. I feel like 20 is still pretty young though but in comparison to majority of people my age, I feel behind. And I know there's no point to 'worrying' over it / there's nothing I can do - but I wish there was some way to avoid the topic coming up in conversation :P I'll just have to hope they don't ask. 

Started The Acne.org Regimen 2nd July 2013

#6496 maria199

maria199

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:10 AM

I haven't changed anything about how I do the regimen - but I've been breaking out a whole lot more than normal lately. It's really annoying. Today was the first time in a while where I felt embarrassed about my skin / didn't want other people to see it. 

I guess the past week has been a bit stressful and disrupted (haven't slept much or well). It's been exciting too though. I started my masters degree last monday (and graduate from my bachelor degree next tuesday - so hoping my skin clears up a bit by then). It's quite a full on degree  - long days and early starts - but I'll adjust to that soon enough and hopefully my skin will too. I think lack of sleep might be contributing to the break outs. 

It's annoying though to be dealing with 'problem' skin now though as I want to be making a good impression on other people in my degree and feel like I can't when my skin is a bit of a mess...

I have met some nice people though and everyone seems friendly so far. I am the youngest in the degree though which is fine. But most of the people I've been talking too are 25 - 28 or a little older - and majority of people are either in long term relationships or married... which makes it awkward for me (or makes me feel awkward) when at lunch or whenever, and they'll be talking about their partners in one way or another. I'm just hoping they don't ask me about whether I'm in a relationship or have past relationships etc because my answer will be no. And I don't want to have to answer anything like that 

I still feel weird or stupid or something for being 20 and not having had a relationship of any sort. I feel like 20 is still pretty young though but in comparison to majority of people my age, I feel behind. And I know there's no point to 'worrying' over it / there's nothing I can do - but I wish there was some way to avoid the topic coming up in conversation tongue.png I'll just have to hope they don't ask. 

I am the youngest as well and the only one to have that degree of acne. There are a few other girls that have some acne but not that much and they know how to cover it.. there is another girl that has i believe vitiligo or something like that so i don't feel i am the only one with skin problems which helps a lot. It doesn't matter actually, people at this level are beyond things like that and never ask or say something.. I know how you feel about the relationships questions, we don't have meals together but i felt uncomfortable with a similar subject that my friends were talking about and they asked me as well. I believe what they 'll ask is if you have a relationship now, if you say not at the moment i don't think they 'll continue..

What clears my acne:

3hnd.jpg

#6497 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:35 AM

I still feel weird or stupid or something for being 20 and not having had a relationship of any sort. I feel like 20 is still pretty young though but in comparison to majority of people my age, I feel behind. And I know there's no point to 'worrying' over it / there's nothing I can do - but I wish there was some way to avoid the topic coming up in conversation tongue.png I'll just have to hope they don't ask. 

I am the youngest as well and the only one to have that degree of acne. There are a few other girls that have some acne but not that much and they know how to cover it.. there is another girl that has i believe vitiligo or something like that so i don't feel i am the only one with skin problems which helps a lot. It doesn't matter actually, people at this level are beyond things like that and never ask or say something.. I know how you feel about the relationships questions, we don't have meals together but i felt uncomfortable with a similar subject that my friends were talking about and they asked me as well. I believe what they 'll ask is if you have a relationship now, if you say not at the moment i don't think they 'll continue..

Yeah I've noticed that too... no one else seems to have any issues with their skin or at least not to the degree that I do. Some may have a few spots maybe from stress but they're skin looks normal. But I'm not so worried about that. I don't think anyone would say anything about my skin. That hasn't happened since I was in early high school (about 14yrs old) and like you said, now people are beyond that really. 

The relationship thing is still annoying for me but like I said, nothing I can do really. I hope it doesn't come up - but if it does hopefully it's like you said and they don't continue further...

#6498 purple123

purple123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:54 AM

There are plenty of people who are 20 and who have never had a relationship!! There are also plenty of people who are 20 and who have had terrible relationships, made poor choices, etc. I'd much rather be in the first camp... 

However, please don't give up on love and human connection because of acne! Continue to treat the acne and your confidence will increase but also focus on all the wonderful things that make you you and allow people to notice your talents, kindness, sense of humor, fabulous music taste, knowledge of Kamchatkian literature, etc.  If YOU focus on acne as the main descriptor of who you are, then others might too. But if you start thinking more broadly and draw on your sense of identity on the more positive traits, people (especially those worth knowing in the first place) will be all too ready to support you and do the same.  Absolutely no one thinks about your acne even a 10th of the amount you do. If you really want to feel better about yourself, look for a volunteering gig. There's nothing like helping other people to make you realize how much power you have to change someone's life, as well as your own.  

This doesn't necessarily apply to the posts immediately above, but I'd hate to see anyone else reading and getting even more depressed over acne when they have so many wonderful things to focus on.

Salicylic acid-coated hugs to all of you worried about acne impacting your life!  It gets better. :) )

Edited by purple123, 03 December 2013 - 04:55 AM.

#6499 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:54 AM

There are plenty of people who are 20 and who have never had a relationship!! There are also plenty of people who are 20 and who have had terrible relationships, made poor choices, etc. I'd much rather be in the first camp... 

However, please don't give up on love and human connection because of acne! Continue to treat the acne and your confidence will increase but also focus on all the wonderful things that make you you and allow people to notice your talents, kindness, sense of humor, fabulous music taste, knowledge of Kamchatkian literature, etc.  If YOU focus on acne as the main descriptor of who you are, then others might too. But if you start thinking more broadly and draw on your sense of identity on the more positive traits, people (especially those worth knowing in the first place) will be all too ready to support you and do the same.  Absolutely no one thinks about your acne even a 10th of the amount you do. If you really want to feel better about yourself, look for a volunteering gig. There's nothing like helping other people to make you realize how much power you have to change someone's life, as well as your own.  

This doesn't necessarily apply to the posts immediately above, but I'd hate to see anyone else reading and getting even more depressed over acne when they have so many wonderful things to focus on.

Salicylic acid-coated hugs to all of you worried about acne impacting your life!  It gets better. smile.png )

You're so right :)

And I know this - but always forget it or remember it second to worrying about what other people think rolleyes.gif

I'm thinking the attitude of friends I used to have while in high school (so when I was around 15 or 16yrs old) have set me up for feeling this way... they always used to get at me / tease me in a way for being single - which I always thought was ridiculous of them - I was 15! haha

I don't know.. maybe that's stuck with me a bit even though I didn't think much of it then.. and maybe also the impression I get from 'society' that there are things you're 'supposed' to have done or experienced by certain points in life - which is also ridiculous really.

I guess I need to forget about all that and let the cards fall where they may haha

#6500 purple123

purple123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:41 AM

There's nothing wrong with wanting a relationship, acknowledging that and consciously working to get a (fulfilling, loving) one (by dating people and figuring out what you want and need in a partner). Coupling up is practically inescapable for most humans one way or another, it's in our DNA. But there's no magical age to when you find your first love, or when you get your heart broken, or when or if you decide to get married, etc. etc.  My old music teacher finally married the love of her life at 60 years of age and couldn't have been happier. In the meantime, have fun and don't let the pesky acne let you down (let alone define you). :-)  

As for the peer pressure, being 35, I can definitely tell you that the geeky kids from my childhood are living and loving full lives, and the losers who bullied and teased others are pretty miserable for the most part. Not saying your friends were so far on the scale as to have been called bullies, just making the case that caving into peer pressure makes no sense over the long term. :) 

Ahh, to be 20 again! You have an awesome decade ahead of you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users