How ya feelin' about your acne today?

7236 replies to this topic

#6201 nicmic62

nicmic62

Sneaker Fanatic

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Sneaker Fanatic . Movies . Music . Puppies&Kittens . Documentaries . GettingClearSkin

Achievements

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

My boyfriend of 7 years finally proposed to me last night and I'm on cloud 9! I had a hormonal bump on my chin and some little spots from picking at my face, but I didn't let it bother me at all! I still felt amazing and had the most incredible day of my life. smile.png

Congratulations!! I'm glad you didn't let acne keep you from having that incredible day. :)

Best wishes to you both.

#6202 skinnie

skinnie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

so something's really been bothering me for the past few months. I've felt really ugly because I saw myself on video camera and pictures of myself have always seemed really unattractive to me. I could never quite figure out why. I've figured it out, finally! So, we're used to seeing mirror images of ourselves. That means that day in and day out, we see a reverse image. Our left is on the right and our right is on the left. Now, imagine if I showed you a line angled 10 degrees from the median. Then, I showed you that line angled 10 degrees in the other direction. You would notice the large difference in angling (they're going in opposite directions - that's a HUGE difference), even though both lines are only 10 degrees from the median. Another example is how you feel like you are blinded by the sun when you exit a dark room. It's ALL about perception! The reason we look so weird in pictures and video is that our brain has become wired to see our reversed image. Any asymmetries look exaggerated when we see our "real" image because they are in the opposite direction to what we except. Our faces look lopsided! So, never fear, what you seem to look like in a picture or video is NOT how you look. Disregard that! You look pretty much like what you see in the mirror. That's a fairly accurate representation of how people see you! 

Edited by skinnie, 22 September 2013 - 10:10 PM.

#6203 Mesha

Mesha

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Live music, dancing, laughing and friends. Determined to have a life despite this damn thing.

Achievements

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:53 AM

Monday mornings are bad enough, without 3 new bumps and a white head on my chin. I'm told old for this...

#6204 MoonlitRiver

MoonlitRiver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:47 AM

I'm having a really bad skin day today. It's my first day back at uni and I am broken out everywhere! Thank you acne for your customary impeccable timing!

I was quite generous with the Epiduo last night so this morning my make-up did not go on easily because my skin's a little drier than usual so I think it's going to have to be a day of no eating for me today because if I eat I just know my make-up will crack. Guess I'll just have to keep my stomach full with liquids but I'm sure the lack of glucose to the brain is not going to my low mood any good at all. I can't win!

#6205 Clear My Skin

Clear My Skin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

Rocking the pizza look...

Oh how I love you acne :)

Edited by Clear My Skin, 23 September 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#6206 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:23 PM

I'm having a really bad skin day today. It's my first day back at uni and I am broken out everywhere! Thank you acne for your customary impeccable timing!

I was quite generous with the Epiduo last night so this morning my make-up did not go on easily because my skin's a little drier than usual so I think it's going to have to be a day of no eating for me today because if I eat I just know my make-up will crack. Guess I'll just have to keep my stomach full with liquids but I'm sure the lack of glucose to the brain is not going to my low mood any good at all. I can't win!

That's no good :( I hate starting back at uni or going to things where you haven't seen people in a while and your skin decides to breakout. I swear it has a mind of it's own :P

I hope the day turns out ok - try and eat something :P though I know what you mean about the worry of cracking/flakes and eating. Been there many times lately with the regimen.

#6207 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:22 AM

It would be really nice to have longer lasting periods of 'really happy'...

I'll be lucky sometimes and for some reason just have a really good, happy week - like last week. Majority of last week, I was feeling good about myself and how I looked even though my skin was breaking out.

This week is completely different for some reason. Despite my skin still being broken out (and the breakouts are healing a bit too) I'm feeling rubbish, and back to not loving myself or how I look, and back to feeling sick of being alone.

Maybe tonight's just a bad night and that's why I'm feeling down. I don't know.

I am generally a 'happy' person I guess. Even though I feel like this, I'll still end up having a laugh and a good day when I'm out with friends. I guess it's just when I'm home alone with my thoughts, they get the better of me...

#6208 heitea

heitea

Smile! It makes you beautiful!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 20
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, Hiking, Volleyball, Camping, Playing the Piano, Singing, Eating :P, Bird-watching, Exercising

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:09 AM

Monday mornings are bad enough, without 3 new bumps and a white head on my chin. I'm told old for this...

How old are you? I'm 23 and feel the same say...so rough to have to deal with this past the "acceptable" age for having acne.

I'll be lucky sometimes and for some reason just have a really good, happy week - like last week. Majority of last week, I was feeling good about myself and how I looked even though my skin was breaking out.

This week is completely different for some reason. Despite my skin still being broken out (and the breakouts are healing a bit too) I'm feeling rubbish, and back to not loving myself or how I look, and back to feeling sick of being alone.

I am generally a 'happy' person I guess. Even though I feel like this, I'll still end up having a laugh and a good day when I'm out with friends. I guess it's just when I'm home alone with my thoughts, they get the better of me...

I totally understand what you mean. Some days, you can feel happy and think "Meh, a few spots on my face doesn't ruin my overall look and I can get on with my life without worrying about it!" But then other days, where you have the same-- or less-- acne, your self esteem can be in the dumps.

This is completely normal and it happens to every single person on earth. Some people are better at hiding it than others. Don't feel sad, your days of being lonely will come to an end and you will have fewer and fewer bad nights. There are days where I literally hate looking at myself in the mirror and would like to curl up in a ball and die, and then other days where I feel like I could achieve anything and everything I ever wanted. I think it's amazing that you consider yourself a happy person! Not many people can say that, so that makes you a really special person.

#6209 Mesha

Mesha

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Live music, dancing, laughing and friends. Determined to have a life despite this damn thing.

Achievements

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

I'm 41 heitea..and I'm tired of it. Tried to avoid mirrorr checking but just gave up with that today and carried the compact about with me. Heart plummets to the floor at each check. Look / don't look..its still there.

#6210 MoonlitRiver

MoonlitRiver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

That's no good sad.png I hate starting back at uni or going to things where you haven't seen people in a while and your skin decides to breakout. I swear it has a mind of it's own tongue.png

I hope the day turns out ok - try and eat something tongue.png though I know what you mean about the worry of cracking/flakes and eating. Been there many times lately with the regimen.

Totally agree! My skin always has the absolute worst timing! Benzoyl peroxide and foundation are a really bad mix. Either I lather moisturiser on and look shiny all day or I put a normal amount of moisturiser on and have to not eat to avoid cracking and flaking. Such a pain!

#6211 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:57 AM

That's no good sad.png I hate starting back at uni or going to things where you haven't seen people in a while and your skin decides to breakout. I swear it has a mind of it's own tongue.png

I hope the day turns out ok - try and eat something tongue.png though I know what you mean about the worry of cracking/flakes and eating. Been there many times lately with the regimen.

Totally agree! My skin always has the absolute worst timing! Benzoyl peroxide and foundation are a really bad mix. Either I lather moisturiser on and look shiny all day or I put a normal amount of moisturiser on and have to not eat to avoid cracking and flaking. Such a pain!

Ughh yes! Such a pain! That's exactly what I've been dealing with lately! I'd love to be able to go out without foundation but I'm not ready to yet - especially since my skin is breaking out a bit lately.

I totally understand what you mean. Some days, you can feel happy and think "Meh, a few spots on my face doesn't ruin my overall look and I can get on with my life without worrying about it!" But then other days, where you have the same-- or less-- acne, your self esteem can be in the dumps.

This is completely normal and it happens to every single person on earth. Some people are better at hiding it than others. Don't feel sad, your days of being lonely will come to an end and you will have fewer and fewer bad nights. There are days where I literally hate looking at myself in the mirror and would like to curl up in a ball and die, and then other days where I feel like I could achieve anything and everything I ever wanted. I think it's amazing that you consider yourself a happy person! Not many people can say that, so that makes you a really special person.

Thanks Heitea :)

It helps to know this is relatively 'normal' 

Honestly, it feels weird for me to say that I'm a happy person - I think it's because it sounds positive and I'm usually so critical or negative of myself. But I am happy and positive about everything else in life and toward other people or for things to do with others but when it comes to myself it's a different story most of the time haha (if that makes sense..) 

I guess last night was just a bad one. Today was good for the most part :)

Hope you're all doing well :)

#6212 Exister

Exister

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:05 AM

I was taking ascorbic acid powder for a while, and still had some acne. I wasn't taking any other vitamins. I switched to Ester C and added Vitamin D3 and started breakout out pretty bad. I cut out all supplements cold turkey and it's only been 4 days but I'm seeing huge improvement.

#6213 goodz19

goodz19

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

like complete shit :(

#6214 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

so something's really been bothering me for the past few months. I've felt really ugly because I saw myself on video camera and pictures of myself have always seemed really unattractive to me. I could never quite figure out why. I've figured it out, finally! So, we're used to seeing mirror images of ourselves. That means that day in and day out, we see a reverse image. Our left is on the right and our right is on the left. Now, imagine if I showed you a line angled 10 degrees from the median. Then, I showed you that line angled 10 degrees in the other direction. You would notice the large difference in angling (they're going in opposite directions - that's a HUGE difference), even though both lines are only 10 degrees from the median. Another example is how you feel like you are blinded by the sun when you exit a dark room. It's ALL about perception! The reason we look so weird in pictures and video is that our brain has become wired to see our reversed image. Any asymmetries look exaggerated when we see our "real" image because they are in the opposite direction to what we except. Our faces look lopsided! So, never fear, what you seem to look like in a picture or video is NOT how you look. Disregard that! You look pretty much like what you see in the mirror. That's a fairly accurate representation of how people see you! 

Thanks for saying this because it's my biggest insecurity. Everything you said makes sense. When I look in the mirror, the assymetry of my face seems minor, but in pictures, I feel disturbed by how crooked my face looks. It's a combination of being used to what we see in the mirror but also I think we tend to hold ourselves in the "best possible position" while looking in the mirror to have the best angle and look the prettiest. It's easy to adjust your angle ad look in the mirror in a way that makes you look cute, but it's a lot harder to figure out the perfect pose when someone takes your picture.

#6215 Kalinka

Kalinka

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:26 PM

It's kind of embarassing, but also nice, when people who know you well and have seen your face through it's bad stages say "Your skin is looking better today!" That happened twice to me today. Anyone looking for an alternative to BP should check out the thyme tincture!!! It's really helping my spots and my redness :)

#6216 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

Manuka honey was on sale at the store and I bought some. Has anyone tried it as a face mask or just eating it every day? I usually do face masks with regular honey, and I thought I'd try manuka because it's supposed to work better. 

#6217 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

I used it everyday for a long period of time and my face got progressively worse and worse and worse. I'm not saying it's the honey, more likely a lack of proper acne medication. But it certainly didn't heal anything. Not trying to be negative, just don't want you to get your hopes up....

#6218 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:31 PM

I used it everyday for a long period of time and my face got progressively worse and worse and worse. I'm not saying it's the honey, more likely a lack of proper acne medication. But it certainly didn't heal anything. Not trying to be negative, just don't want you to get your hopes up....

hey deja...long time no see! I hope you are still doing well teehee.gif

Uh oh...I only did a test spot to see if I have a reaction to it. Have you used regular honey, and did it also make your acne worse? Regular honey usually helps my skin, that's why I assumed manuka might also do the trick. 

#6219 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:49 PM

I'm doing good, thanks! Figured I'd stop by and check in. I still read on the site, I just don't post often because I feel silly saying "still clear" over and over.. what a terrible problem to have I know, lol. I eat pretty much everything now with no problems, although I still steer clear of gluten. I even went out to eat, which was huge for me! :) I pretty much only break out if I drink a ton of coffee, which I rarely do since I know it causes me problems. Once I eliminated coffee, most of my health problems seemed to get better.

I used mostly raw honey when I was doing it, not the Manuka and not the regular. Like I said, I don't think it made it worse exactly, it just was getting worse anyway the longer I went without using the acne meds. I didn't really have a reaction, I just got sick of coating honey on my face every night and still breaking out. I've tried thousands of things but nothing has really consistently helped other than benzoyl peroxide.

What kind of reaction did you have? They say you can easily be allergic to honey.

#6220 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:49 AM

I used manuka honey masks for a while too. It helped my skin tone and made my skin feel softer but it didn't help my acne at all. Didn't make it worse but I think like deja said  - for me it was lack or 'proper' acne medication / something that worked for me that kept my acne coming during that time.

I would still use it again for my skin in general but I know that I'd need to use something else for my acne to help with that.

Nice to see you around  deja - good to hear things are still going so well for you :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users