Geeking

How ya feelin' about your acne today?

7,826 posts in this topic

Absolutely depressed with it today's to the point where I didn't go to work.

I shaved with a razor as opposed to a beard trimmer yesterday for the first time in years and I remember why! My skin and pitted scarring look dreadful

I don't usually get spots anymore but I have today. I can't understand why my scarring looks so much worse when I don't have stubble. Maybe I'm just kidding myself

Current breakout is one of the worst since I started treatment. 2-4 new inflammatory acne every day. Bumps are red and filled with bacteria. Hating my skin and thinking my skin hates me too.

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end. Here's to finding my end.

God is good to me..........more than I deserve.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

Face looks like shit today and I am still picking. I shouldn't say my face, but my right cheek. It's like everything is ok but my right cheek. Any time I think some of my scarring looks bad, I look at one of my red, irritated scabby pimples (since I pick and all) and next to that the scarring looks like nothing, so there's that at least. Puts things into perspective. Starting the inactive pills on my second pack of Yasmin this Sunday. So in a little over a week will be the start of the "magical" three month mark. If things don't start to look a bit better by the end of month 3 I am going to be very disappointed because I don't know what to do next if it doesn't work. I realize bc doesn't help everyone, but I am trying to remain optimistic.

I'm feeling better today. :) I switched cleanser and am now using Cerave foaming cleanser. I was using Paula's earth sourced gel (which I love btw), but i thought is was 5.5 pH. A PC rep told me it was a 6, so I decided to get something closer to skin pH. My face had been getting drier and I think that is a real problem for me. My skin seems to explode when it is dry. I've had some episodes of really bad cysts and I've been keeping logs in my calendars. I've gone back and looked them--the worst breakouts were around times I noted my skin being dry. Maybe bacteria gets in easier and/or my skin is damaged from dryness to repair itself. I don't know. But now trying to figure out a good balance.

My skin is oily. Always has been. But, now I'm wondering if I really have DRY(as in dehydrated) and OILY skin. What a terrible combination. :( I normally don't use moisturizer and maybe that has been a constant factor. So, I reluctantly switched to the cerave and also use the cerave pm moisturizer (tiny bit). I haven't seen any increase in acne and my skin actually looks better. Not red tinged and my pores seem smaller (maybe bigger from dehydration??). I'm still working on healing the spots I have, but I'm feeling better and optimistic again. I hope the lower pH will help aid my skin in repairing and managing itself. I also think this is helping my 2% BHA clear toner work better! My skin cleared up and my pores were cleaning out before on it, but I still have areas (from nose to chin area) that are visibly congested. Since using the new routine, little plugs have been coming to the surface. Honestly, I can;t tell if teh mositurizer is helping lubricate and move them up or if the BHA is exfoliating them. Both?

I am a little upset that Paula's doesn't have lower pH. I was going to switch to their new resist cleanser but it is also a 6. :( The toners and acids are still good. I don;t know about the other cleansers. If they would lower the earth sourced cleanser it would be the perfect one for me. I used to use Neutrogena ultra gentle and loved it as well. It worked well, but i think over time it had dried/damaged my skin since it was a 7pH. That is why I originally switched to PC.

Anyways, right now this seems to be working.

Edited by callendula

hi everyone! It's been a long time since I logged in but I haven't forgotten about you. Life got really hectic and I haven't had time to update. I'm currently recovering from a procedure I had done to remove a dermoid cyst in my ovary (sorry for TMI)...I'm hoping this is the last bump in the road for complete recovery. My acne was just the tip of the iceberg 2 years ago...by trying to find the causes of my acne, I actually stumbled upon other more serious health issues I needed to address. This dermoid in particular would not have been removed if I blindly followed doctors' suggestions to go on hormone therapy. I finally went with my gut and got an ultrasound...and now I'm in recovery.

I wish you all good luck in your journey. Acne is truly a sign that something is wrong with your body. Don't ignore it.

When I'm better, I want to write a post on histamines & diet...from what I saw, more people are going the low histamine route, which is great whether or not your acne is an issue. In the mean time, I want to recommend SOD (superoxide dismutase) enzyme supplements for those of you who break out from high histamine foods/products.

Edited by WishClean
1 person likes this

Current regimen: garlic supplements [as needed], Enzymedica gluten blocker [as needed], nicadan [not sure if it works yet]. I try to simplify as much as I can. Don't take more supplements than you need....try one at a time and be patient.

The supplements that really helped me when my acne was at its worst: inositol, DIM [not as frequently now!] digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips/ low acid [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3, superoxide dismutase (SOD) enzyme supplements. NOTE: I do not recommend DIM for long term use, and I do not recommend hormonal creams without doctor supervision.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: acupuncture, regular exercise/ yoga, low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials...

Grocery list:

** Find the cause, find the cure **

** If you have a question for me, please ask it publicly so that others can benefit from the discussion**

Cleared up in one area, breaking out in two others. Very frustrating to say the least. At what point does it end or does it ever. Thank God I anchor myself in things above or else I would have given up and given in a long time ago.

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end. Here's to finding my end.

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

Well today is crap.

I've been really trying all week to be positive, and to maybe try and see that tiny teensy bit of hope at the end of the tunnel, but what happens today when I'm getting ready? My dad comes in, "Errrr! What's that on your neck?" - "What?" - "Well it's really red, look, feel how hot it is" (rubbing his hand on the back of my neck.) Turns out I have a massive rash there which has probably been there for days/weeks without me noticing.

So I go to look in the mirror, using a handheld portable mirror so I can see the back, and yep...horrible nasty rash. While doing this, I also get a clearer view of the side of my face and see how red, blotchy, and all marked up it is. I just look a complete disaster and I'm fed up... I've just locked myself away in my room and am crying. I'm so fed up of this, of literally waiting and hoping for something that just isn't going to happen. I'm never going to look like I used too/like a normal person.

Let's just say I wouldn't mind dying right this minute, haha.

What a shame, just when I thought things were turning up, I end up seeing that it's just as bad as ever. My life is just over now, I never leave the house, my career is non-existant and all relationships with my family and friends are completely screwed up. I don't talk to anyone, I don't do anything, and every day my face and body just gets continuously worse. I just want it to be over, and I honestly can't see myself ever being happy again.

Guess that's my rant for this morning, heh...had to let it out somehow.

1 person likes this

WishClean, glad you found that cyst and had it taken care of!

leelowe1--*hugs* and sorry about the continued breakouts. I definitely sympathize!

Lore91, I'm so sorry to hear about your day yesterday. :( I hope today was better. I have felt the same way, too. It's a completely painful and depressing journey some days.

As for me, today is a bit better. I haven't had any more cysts show up and still working on these two slowly healing. I have noticed more plugs coming out of my pores. I really think the new pH and moisturizer is helping and the BHA is more effective now with the change. My chin is noticeably clearer and not clogged. I can always tell when products junk it up because the pores have white stuff in them. They are cleaner than they have been in a while. So, I know the Cerave pm lotion is not clogging them, or they would be full (like they are after the Paula's hydralight lotion). This is good news since it's been a little over 1 week of using it daily and usually 2x a day. I'm hoping this is THE routine.

1 person likes this

Feeling like there is no where else to turn. Loving my life and hating my skin. Guess you can't have it all.

I'm feeling super frustrated tonight. I'm into my 4th month on accutane and my skin is not improving like it did in my last course. I still have quite a few blackheads and my skin is still getting oily. I'm getting a lot of anxiety because of this.

1 person likes this

I'm on my 5th week but noticed very little improvement. Guess I'm not as lucky as most of you guys lol. The BP and moisturizer don't sting that much anymore, wc is a good thing. Let's stay positive and don't give up!

Never give up!

Edited by Lucas89

The key is to treat it while living with it... Easier said than done

Frustrated. If I weren't so physically tired from all the running around I've been doing, I would probably be crying my eyes out.

My face is so inflamed and splotchy! The only positive is that the dry feeling is gone as I've skipped differin last night and tonight. My derm suggested to take a 2 week break and then reintroduce differin starting once a week. I think 2 weeks is too long a break so I may restart it either tomorrow or Monday and use it every two nights.

It's not doing anything for me but I don't want my face to become desensitized to retinoids incase I have to move up to retin a.

Right now I am feeling so unattractive........

May this too pass

Hello everyone! Can I join this topic?

Today or more a week I've been locked in my room crying all day and night. With no light cuz I hate it when my skin looks bad! All I do is sleep or cry I cant even watch tv because I envy so bad their skin.

Every morning I'll get pimples of lots petechiae on my face because accutane give me this side effect. The worse for me are those red dots I have alot of it in my face. I'm scared everyday to wake up with new ones. I just want them to stop :'( I no longer take care of myself, all the house is dirty, I no longer talk to my friends. I'm in a really bad shape. I'm totally tired and my parents are lost with me even my psy.

Depressed...it's slowly destroying my life and I'm trying so so hard to fix it. Life has done a 180 and I'm trying to turn it back around. I hate what I've become.

Just can't deal

Cried like a little bitch today. Then I sucked it up and took my kids to the McDonald's play place. They had fun, and I feel better, though my skin is still shit. Acne isn't too bad, but it looks splotchy and uneven, and my pores are effin' huge. Trying to drink more water because I think my skin might be dehydrated (go figure, I'm oily as Hell with dehydrated skin) I'm back on a low carb diet as of today, and that always makes me feel better mentally. I also think it does my skin good.

Cried like a little bitch today. Then I sucked it up and took my kids to the McDonald's play place. They had fun, and I feel better, though my skin is still shit. Acne isn't too bad, but it looks splotchy and uneven, and my pores are effin' huge. Trying to drink more water because I think my skin might be dehydrated (go figure, I'm oily as Hell with dehydrated skin) I'm back on a low carb diet as of today, and that always makes me feel better mentally. I also think it does my skin good.

You're never weak for crying. It's what makes us human. The fact that you picked yourself up says a lot about your strong and resilient character.

Keep on keeping on

1 person likes this

You're never weak for crying. It's what makes us human. The fact that you picked yourself up says a lot about your strong and resilient character.

Keep on keeping on

Thanks leelowe....I am just so tired of being sad over my skin :( It's exhausting....

I agree! To be able to be crying and then pick yourself up is something I've never been able to do -- usually if I'm in a crying mood that's me depressed for the rest of the day. So really good job putting on a brave face for your kids! (And nomnomnom mcdonalds is a childs heaven!) I've gone from crying every single day to crying on average about once a week, but I think that's healthy.

1 person likes this

Thanks Lore! I try, for my kids...if I didn't have kids I'd probably lock myself in all day and cry :'( I cried again today, my skin seems to look worse than ever for some reason. Over it. :| Thinking about really trying to accept and embrace my shitty skin, it would probably make life a lot easier. I went to high school with a girl who has acne and pitted scarring, and she was so confident, like she didn't care, and even dated a guy that I liked, lol...wish I could be more like her.

Also want to say, crying is ok. Every time I have a good cry I feel better. I think it relieves stress. Though I hate to think of you crying over your skin, because I know how painful it is, I do think it can be healthy.

Hugs!

1 person likes this

Aw Dark... ;( I'm so proud of you for staying strong for your kids though, I know how horrible it can be... Literally there are days where I don't even want to see my family because of it.

I'm always under the mindset 'I can try and accept this' but I just find it so hard...it definately helps me some to watch youtubers who also face acne problems because around me it just seems like no-one else has bad skin! But watching other people go through it and see how positive and successful they are makes me feel slightly better. Every bit of confidence helps I suppose!

I agree, I always feel so much calmer after a cry, but like I said I only seem to cry once a week now whereas January/Feb/March I literally would not go one day without crying...it was exhausting.

Sending big hugs your way!

2 people like this

Edited by Lucas89