How ya feelin' about your acne today?

7,786 posts in this topic

Thanks for the advice Pianina! smile.png I'm not used to dealing with acne that leaves proper scars rather than just hyperpigmentation because I've never really had that type before this summer so I didn't have the first clue about what to do to minimise the scarring. I will try your suggestions though! I am using bp in my Epiduo at the moment which I'm using to deal with the active acne. I hope that doesn't increase my scarring too much because I think I'll just break out spectacularly again if I stop using it now. sad.png

Just on the topic of scarring - I think I'm noticing some indented scarring (very shallow indents though) as I'm getting older opposed to just hyperpigmentation and I think that's because collagen production slows as you get older. I'm not sure if there's truth to that but it's just something I've been meaning to look into lately.

I don't know a lot about BP and 'proper' scarring (indented or larger scars) but I do think it increases hyperpigmentation 'scarring' - it's definitely annoying to deal with - and just one of the reasons why I'd rather not be using BP... but I can't ignore the fact that it's helping my skin and I'm at a (mental / emotional) point where I just need something to work or I don't know what I'd do... probably continue in the downward spiral I had been in... And for me personally BP was the 'best' option for now.

Moonlitriver - how old are you? My acne didn't scar until I turned 22-23, even the cysts would heal nicely and flat. But two years ago I started using Duac extensively (it includes bp) and I would rub it in my most problematic areas, which later developed shallow scars. I didn't know at that time that bp depletes skin of it's anti-oxidants and generates free radicals that doesn't let the skin heal fast. I thought it would bleach the red spots, but they lasted much longer and ended up with little indentation. That's why I never gave The Regimen a chance, there are other ingredients that are not that harsh and also kills P. acnes bacteria, like salicilic acid.

Anyway, try to take care of that spot and never apply Epiduo there, even if it's a retinoid, it contains bp and will slow down the healing. Try sulfur cream or Retin-a.

Lilly - my scarrings are getting worse each year... If bp works for you, it's great, but don't ever let your skin to dry out. Try lactic acid to increase healing and moist, for me it was a great revelation and had no irritation like I had from other AHAs. But anyway, I wouldn't use bp for too long in life, it's such a harsh chemical. Personally I just can't let myself put something that bleaches fabrics and hair on my skin, even though it's effective killing the bacteria. sad.png

Edited by Pianina

Diagnosed with PCOS

Occasional acne + rolling scars

Meds:

- Yasmin birth control
- Spironolactone 37,5mg going 25mg
- Inositol powder 2 times/day before meal

Skincare:

- Hemp oil

Lilly - my scarrings are getting worse each year... If bp works for you, it's great, but don't ever let your skin to dry out. Try lactic acid to increase healing and moist, for me it was a great revelation and had no irritation like I had from other AHAs. But anyway, I wouldn't use bp for too long in life, it's such a harsh chemical. Personally I just can't let myself put something that bleaches fabrics and hair on my skin, even though it's effective killing the bacteria. sad.png

I never thought I'd end up using BP again - shortly after joining this site I quit the BP I was using because of all the reasons you've said. To me it's not the ideal ingredient to be putting on my skin and I really struggled starting and sticking to the regimen - not because my skin was red or dry or any of those 'typical' reasons people quit the regimen - but because I was still not comfortable with the idea of using BP on my skin again - but like I said, my mental state was just getting worse and worse and BP was the 'lesser of two evils' in a way (I didn't like the risks / side effects possible from the bcps I was looking at taking). I still don't like the idea of using BP. At least I'm starting to get a bit of confidence back and and feeling happier as BP is helping my skin improve. Hopefully one day I'll find an alternative to BP that works for me - but for now I'm sticking with it. Thanks for the tips too :) I've been using a glycolic based AHA infrequently the past week or so - seems to be going well so far... no complaints anyway. But I'll keep lactic acid in mind too. And I'm making sure my skin is always feeling hydrated - (I basically go to bed with a mask of jojoba oil on) :P

Hope you find something that helps with your scarring soon! (Has the lactic acid been helping?)

Started The Acne.org Regimen 2nd July 2013

Moonlitriver - how old are you? My acne didn't scar until I turned 22-23, even the cysts would heal nicely and flat. But two years ago I started using Duac extensively (it includes bp) and I would rub it in my most problematic areas, which later developed shallow scars. I didn't know at that time that bp depletes skin of it's anti-oxidants and generates free radicals that doesn't let the skin heal fast. I thought it would bleach the red spots, but they lasted much longer and ended up with little indentation. That's why I never gave The Regimen a chance, there are other ingredients that are not that harsh and also kills P. acnes bacteria, like salicilic acid.

Anyway, try to take care of that spot and never apply Duac there, even if it's a retinoid, it contains bp and will slow down the healing. Try sulfur cream or Retin-a.

I'm 21 and I used the Regimen for a year and a half and now I'm using Epiduo so my poor skin's been exposed to a whole lot of bp in the past 2 years! I've definitely noticed that it makes the hyperpigmentation stick around for longer which is annoying. I have tried salicylic acid before but it did nothing for me.

I will take your advice about the scarring because like I say I have literally no experience of this! I'll try to get hold of some sulfur cream :) I already have some sulfur soap but presumably that's less concentrated and wouldn't work as well?

Thanks for all your help!

My Current Treatment Plan

Morning: Lymecycline

Evening: Dianette + Epiduo

Diet: eliminated dairy

My Log:

Acne status: continuing to break out, so demoralising!

"I would rather learn what it feels like to burn than feel nothing at all." ~ Ron Pope

Anyway, try to take care of that spot and never apply Duac there, even if it's a retinoid, it contains bp and will slow down the healing. Try sulfur cream or Retin-a.

I'm 21 and I used the Regimen for a year and a half and now I'm using Epiduo so my poor skin's been exposed to a whole lot of bp in the past 2 years! I've definitely noticed that it makes the hyperpigmentation stick around for longer which is annoying. I have tried salicylic acid before but it did nothing for me.

I will take your advice about the scarring because like I say I have literally no experience of this! I'll try to get hold of some sulfur cream smile.png I already have some sulfur soap but presumably that's less concentrated and wouldn't work as well?

Thanks for all your help!

Hope that you make sure to apply sunscreen whenever you're exposed to sun! Prolonged use of bp + uv beams can promote premature aging.

I started using a cream with beta glucan, which stimulates immune repair, boosts collagen and makes the skin heal quicker. A very good product, been using it in winter mostly on my forehead and it improved a lot. But there's no use to take it together with bp as they would cancel each other.

Diagnosed with PCOS

Meds:

- Yasmin birth control

Skincare:

- Hemp oil

Hope that you make sure to apply sunscreen whenever you're exposed to sun! Prolonged use of bp + uv beams can promote premature aging.

I started using a cream with beta glucan, which stimulates immune repair, boosts collagen and makes the skin heal quicker. A very good product, been using it in winter mostly on my forehead and it improved a lot. But there's no use to take it together with bp as they would cancel each other.

Don't worry I certainly do! I've always had pale skin that burns easily anyway so it's always been a force of habit, I've just increased the spf I use since starting on the bp.

I'll remember what you say about that cream for if I ever stop using the bp and in the meantime I'll try to get hold of the sulfur cream you mentioned. :)

My Log:

"I would rather learn what it feels like to burn than feel nothing at all." ~ Ron Pope

Skin was doing REALLY well until I decided to mess it up of course! I've had this clogged pore right below my eye for a few weeks now and it's been bothering me, so I tried to extract it. Of course it turned into this big mess when originally it was hardly noticeable at all. So now I have this big red mark on my face. But whatever. By next week it'll look much better, just needs time to heal. On the plus side, my Spiro is helping a lot I think. I'm really enjoying this medication.

[CURRENT REGIMEN]

AM:

Wash with La Roche-Posay Effaclar Foaming Gel (European version) + Clarisonic Mia

Apply CeraVe AM Moisturizer w/ SPF 30

Apply Aczone (dapsone)

PM:

Wash with La Roche-Posay Effaclar Foaming Gel + Clarisonic Mia
Apply CeraVe PM Moisturizer
Apply Epiduo (adapalene + benzoyl peroxide)
50 mg of Spironolactone

[CURRENT STATUS]
90% clear

Had to get my ID today, looked like somebody threw up on a peice of plastic. I don't care for this life, the only time where I enjoy life is when I'm asleep not conscious of anything.

1 person likes this

Still breaking out a bit on shaving area, but it isn't oily either.. my skin is very smooth and normal. I think I am breaking out due to shaving. I think I've been stressed out because of school starting soon.

Best way to make your skin smooth and clear eventually:

Plant-based diet is the best medicine for everything.. That's if you consume at least 80% raw, mainly from veggies and fruits.

Exercising: cardio is great for skin and lifting a bit.

Thinking positive and try not to stress or think about acne.

I am doing these and my skin is currently very smooth and clearing up!

I am a vegan raw 100%. I feel better, have more energy, saving animals a year, glow skin, I look younger, etc.

Scars make me feel debilitated...eusa_wall.gif

1 person likes this

i'll soon make you feel dead, if you dont do what you are suppose to.

Itchy red raised skin - dermatitis??

huge pores

indented scar

oils used for cooking

inflamed whiteheads & clogged pores

my balanced diet chart and skincare routine(medications taken & products used now)

Feeling like an idiot for picking at a breakout on my cheek. I knew I shouldn't have done it but did it anyway. And now it's so much more red and noticeable. But at least I didn't go on a 'binge' and managed to stop at the one spot. Hopefully it's looking better by morning. And also hoping my skin will improve a little (that the new breakouts on my cheek will have gone away) by monday... I'm supposed to be having a group graduation photo for my uni degree and I'd feel better going in to it if those new breakouts had gone away. The new breakouts on my right cheek are bigger / more like the type of acne I used to get before the regimen...

Had to get my ID today, looked like somebody threw up on a peice of plastic. I don't care for this life, the only time where I enjoy life is when I'm asleep not conscious of anything.

i feel you brother. Sleep is the only real enjoyment in my life right now. When Im awake, its just depression/obsession/compulsions. There's got to be a better way...

Morning: Cetaphil cleanser, apply Sodium sulfacetamide

Evening: Cetaphil cleanser, apply differin, wait 1/2 hr, apply aczone as spot treatment.

Not overally exciting w/ the results

Also Has Seb Derm and been using Oxistat in beard area in the mornings. Same, nothing special about the results

I've not had any new pimple in the last 5 days. I think I'm finally reaping the fruits of my dedication and patience. Clear skin, here we go!!

Daily Routine

Morning

• Cleanser - Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
  • Topical - Benzac AC Benzoyl Peroxide 10%
  • Moisturizer - Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream

Evening

• Cleanser - Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
  • Topical - Benzac AC Benzoyl Peroxide 10%
  • Moisturizer - Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream

Extra

• St. Ives Blemish and Blackhead Control (2x a week)

i'll soon make you feel dead, if you dont do what you are suppose to.

haha :)...jo vaada kiyaaa toh nibhana padega....;)

First time in 6 years my problematic cheek didn't break out before/during my period!! Wow, this is something incredible for me smile.png)

A bit afraid because tomorrow I'm starting Yasmin, but I hope that Androcur will do it's job and not let me have any initial breakout.

Edited by Pianina

Diagnosed with PCOS

Meds:

- Yasmin birth control

Skincare:

- Hemp oil

Hmmm... anyone think that the sticky part of a post-it note could break you out at all? :P I guess I'll find out tomorrow... In my psyc class today we did this task which involved out tutor sticking a post-it on out forehead... very weird, and honestly, I panicked a bit - I don't like things touching my face or being close to people I don't know where they'll clearly see the state of my skin / how oily it is (it was fairly oily today)... but the task was over and done with pretty quickly - thank goodness :P

I'm not feeling too bad about my skin today because it has definitely improved a lot over the past week or so even though it's still far from perfect. I have a stubborn cyst that is still refusing to go down and have been getting a few new spots mainly on my forehead and one inside my ear - how is that even possible by the way?!! But overall I think it's still improving so it's just a case of keep pushing forward with it! smile.png

Hmmm... anyone think that the sticky part of a post-it note could break you out at all? tongue.png I guess I'll find out tomorrow... In my psyc class today we did this task which involved out tutor sticking a post-it on out forehead... very weird, and honestly, I panicked a bit - I don't like things touching my face or being close to people I don't know where they'll clearly see the state of my skin / how oily it is (it was fairly oily today)... but the task was over and done with pretty quickly - thank goodness tongue.png

Ah Lilly that's such a nightmare! I also hate anything touching my skin and things being sprung on me like that makes me panic a bit too. But I actually had to do something very similar with a post-it note for a game at a party last year back when I was on the Regimen and you'll be pleased to know that it didn't cause me to break out at all in the following days. Hopefully that means you'll be fine as well! smile.png

Edited by MoonlitRiver

My Log:

I'm not feeling too bad about my skin today because it has definitely improved a lot over the past week or so even though it's still far from perfect. I have a stubborn cyst that is still refusing to go down and have been getting a few new spots mainly on my forehead and one inside my ear - how is that even possible by the way?!! But overall I think it's still improving so it's just a case of keep pushing forward with it! smile.png

Hmmm... anyone think that the sticky part of a post-it note could break you out at all? tongue.png I guess I'll find out tomorrow... In my psyc class today we did this task which involved out tutor sticking a post-it on out forehead... very weird, and honestly, I panicked a bit - I don't like things touching my face or being close to people I don't know where they'll clearly see the state of my skin / how oily it is (it was fairly oily today)... but the task was over and done with pretty quickly - thank goodness tongue.png

Ah Lilly that's such a nightmare! I also hate anything touching my skin and things being sprung on me like that makes me panic a bit too. But I actually had to do something very similar with a post-it note for a game at a party last year back when I was on the Regimen and you'll be pleased to know that it didn't cause me to break out at all in the following days. Hopefully that means you'll be fine as well! smile.png

Haha that's so weird - I didn't expect someone to relate to this situation so specifically :P But good to know it didn't cause a breakout for you. I'm already breaking out a bit more these past few days (not terribly but still...) so hopefully this post-it situation won't add to it

Glad to hear things are improving for you!! :)

1 person likes this

Haha that's so weird - I didn't expect someone to relate to this situation so specifically tongue.png But good to know it didn't cause a breakout for you. I'm already breaking out a bit more these past few days (not terribly but still...) so hopefully this post-it situation won't add to it

Glad to hear things are improving for you!! smile.png

Haha yeh I was quite surprised when I read your post and thought oh that's happened to me too! I remember being totally thrown by it and just praying it wouldn't break me out. Sorry to hear you're breaking out a bit at the moment. I hope it settles down again for you soon!

And thank you :) I'm quite pleased with my skin's progress at the moment. It's definitely nowhere near there yet but at least for the moment it seems to be finally heading in the right direction!

1 person likes this

My Log:

I'm trying to recover from a hectic week/month. I hope everyone is doing well! I need to stop being a perfectionist in my job because it's so exhausting... and I need to stop wearing heavy foundation, especially the Stila one I have been using lately. My face can't breathe under it, and I look like a clown by the end of the day. So embarrassing. Yesterday I only wore mineral powder and it was much more natural but barely covered by red marks. Now I'm sitting on my couch, exhausted from a long day and sleepy (finally!) but I'm too lazy to get up because first I need to go take off the rest of my makeup. strongsad.gif I really need to do something fun soon, my life is so boring at the moment.

Current regimen: garlic supplements [as needed], Enzymedica gluten blocker [as needed], nicadan [not sure if it works yet]. I try to simplify as much as I can. Don't take more supplements than you need....try one at a time and be patient.

The supplements that really helped me when my acne was at its worst: inositol, DIM [not as frequently now!] digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips/ low acid [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3, superoxide dismutase (SOD) enzyme supplements. NOTE: I do not recommend DIM for long term use, and I do not recommend hormonal creams without doctor supervision.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: acupuncture, regular exercise/ yoga, low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials...

Grocery list:

** Find the cause, find the cure **

** If you have a question for me, please ask it publicly so that others can benefit from the discussion**

My lifestyle at college has changed my skin dramatically. I'm a 5th year senior and had acne since I was in high school but this semester something changed. Any college student knows there dining hall mainly serves crap. I decided to start eating salads consisting of a bunch of raw veggies every night. I also started taking a multivitamin and activia yogurt in the morning. Knock on wood but I have only had one active break out in a week. I still consume milk daily and snack on pop tart or freeze pop, and still nothing. I'm really good at not worry/stressing out about my skin, it's only gonna make things worse. Best of luck to all yall.

Been greeted with two big new spots today! And just when I thought my skin might finally be starting to get better. sad.png *Sigh*

Edited by MoonlitRiver

My Log:

I've not had any new pimple in the last 5 days. I think I'm finally reaping the fruits of my dedication and patience. Clear skin, here we go!!

Congrats.