How ya feelin' about your acne today?

7,806 posts in this topic

Things that I think are working for me:

-Vitamin C powder, 6g or so per day

-Proper circadian rhythm

-Lots of sunlight

-8+ hours of uninterrupted sleep (so I have to take melatonin before bed)

-Exercise

-No cleanser, water only, once a day in the shower with medium-high pressure warm water directly on face for a minute

-No dairy, low sugar diet

-Fenugreek tea

-Turmeric and black pepper in meals when I can

10 years with acne.. n now the scars.. i really donno how do i feel.. anyways m used to it... ppll asking me .. hey wats wit your face .. looks lik bla bla... god should hav given acne to all or no-one.. m depressed always:( waiting for a miracle to happen

6 new zits right before my period... Most of them are small and not inflammed all around my mouth, but one is deep and painful. It seems that no bcp or androgen blocker can prevent my super punctual break outs every month. But I'm to blame as well, I was crying and stressing like crazy these days, exams, distant relationship that is breaking apart, loneliness... Yesterday I cried out of such sorrow, that my heart started beating too fast and I had to drink some valerian. So no wonder my face reflects this inner turmoil.

Diagnosed with PCOS

Occasional acne + rolling scars

Meds:

- Yasmin birth control
- Spironolactone 37,5mg going 25mg
- Inositol powder 2 times/day before meal

Skincare:

- Hemp oil

I'm not feeling too bad about my skin today but knowing my general pessimistic outlook and stubborn skin this is sure not to last long! My face still looks awful with all the hyperpigmentation of course, but apart from one very small remaining cyst I am (at least temporarily) cyst free which is a good and unusual feeling for me smile.png It's so very nice to wake up and find that your face isn't actually hurting for a change. Please, please let it continue!!! eusa_pray.gif

Edited by MoonlitRiver
2 people like this

Current Treatment and Products

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
Garnier Long Lasting Shine Control Moisturiser
Garnier Oil Free BB Cream
Epiduo
Zineryt
Cetaphil Moisturising Lotion
Eliminated Dairy from my Diet

My Log:

Acne status: Odd spot here and there but mostly clear. Mainly struggling with oil, shine, and scars/hyperpigmentation.

Feeling super anxious right now. On Tuesday I have to defend my bachelor thesis and I'm so scared that I'll fail. The only way to relieve the stress for me is to eat candy. I'm so scared how my skin will look after what I've eaten the last couple of days :(

tumblr_meiqj3bp781ryhzupo2_500.jpg

Feeling super anxious right now. On Tuesday I have to defend my bachelor thesis and I'm so scared that I'll fail. The only way to relieve the stress for me is to eat candy. I'm so scared how my skin will look after what I've eaten the last couple of days sad.png

love your signature!

Itchy red raised skin - dermatitis??

huge pores

indented scar

oils used for cooking

inflamed whiteheads & clogged pores

my balanced diet chart and skincare routine(medications taken & products used now)

Me, too. I saw it and thought it was perfect. It's what the people in this forum have done many times for me. Here's where I found it:

http://tissine.tumblr.com/tagged/my-art

This girl is truly talented. I wish I could draw like her. She also drew an amazing picture of Yue from Avatar: The Last Airbender.

http://tissine.tumblr.com/post/30647908716/moon-princess

1 person likes this

tumblr_meiqj3bp781ryhzupo2_500.jpg

Feelin pretty horrible. Had some scary thoughts about ending my life, but those passed by quite quick. Glad to have my mom to speak to, she really helps because she knows what I'm going through. My cystic acne hurts, but what hurts more is the comments and glares. I'm not going to lie though, for the most part my school mates are very nice people who don't mention anything, but they see it; i see them looking at my ugly face. And it's not my fault, its hormonal acne. Every day I wonder if Accutane is worth it, as well as birth control; i'm just too scared to take it. If my acne gets worse, I don't know whether i'll be able to face the depression, because it's bad enough now (not sure if it is actually clinical depression, but it sure feels like it!). Thought that going the natural way (Cod liver oil tablets, multivitamins, lots of water, avoiding dairy and too much sugar) would help, but it hasn't seemed to have done much.

I'm so sorry that you feel this way. I know the feeling - I was/am feeling it too. I was so down that I had similar thoughts, felt sick to my stomach, had no appetite and just didn't want to do anything. Nothing made me happy. It's so hard to deal with and I'm so sorry you have to go through it right now. I HATE that feeling when you know you're getting a cyst. Your face just starts hurting (or itching) in a particular spot, and without even looking in the mirror, you know you have one and it's not about to go anywhere anytime soon. Man, it just sucks.

I tried the same thing as you: cod liver oil, zinc, ridiculously healthy diet, more supplements and did it for a month. NOTHING helped. When you're getting cysts, it's very difficult to correct it with natural supplements (I'm not saying it doesn't work for everyone, it may), and it sounds like it's not working for you. And if it really is hormonal, all the cod liver oil in the world is unlikely to help! smile.png

I completely understand the hesitancy to go on Accutane. I'm in the same boat. I did take it in high school, and it was great. No side effects other than dry, flaky skin. And if it's hormonal, there's not guarantee the Accutane treats it long-term. My biggest suggestion to you is go to a dermatologist. Cysts scar and the scarring can be permanent or take up to 12mos to clear. The good news for you is you're young! So you are still making plenty of collagen so your skin may heal more quickly compared to an older person.

Do you live in the U.S.? If so, find a good dermatologist who you can see relatively quickly (my old derm would have a 3-mos wait, which, when you're dealing with cysts, NO.). You can get cortisone injections and the cysts will go away anywhere from a few hours to 48 hours. Yes, some people get indentations, but I've had so many of them and my derm has been very careful and sometimes doesn't even inject the standard amount. Sometimes the injections can be expensive, but if you have a cyst in the middle of your face (me), it's worth it. Sometimes it worth it just to relieve the pain sad.png

Cysts are the absolute worst. Taking a more aggressive approach can really help. I also suggest seeing a doctor for any depression. I know it's difficult, but sometimes seeing someone for depression medication (or be assessed for it) can make the pain just a little less. I hope it gets better for you soon.

Ah yes, exact same thing happened today. I try so hard not to touch my face but it itches and when I itch it, it hurts :( not a nice feeling. I was suggested a visit to a naturopath but have not gotten to it yet. Have a wedding to attend in two weeks so i'm trying to look for a quick fix at the moment; heading back to my old regime of minocin pills and benzaclin (which worked the best for me, but eventually lost its magic).

I had one of the most amazing dermatologists in Toronto, but he retired :( and i moved to Montreal, so now i'm looking for the best one that I can find.

I'm thinking of seeing one of the counsellors at school; maybe I just need someone to vent to (and getting all this feedback on acne.org definitely makes me feel great so thank you!)

Feelin pretty horrible. Had some scary thoughts about ending my life, but those passed by quite quick. Glad to have my mom to speak to, she really helps because she knows what I'm going through. My cystic acne hurts, but what hurts more is the comments and glares. I'm not going to lie though, for the most part my school mates are very nice people who don't mention anything, but they see it; i see them looking at my ugly face. And it's not my fault, its hormonal acne. Every day I wonder if Accutane is worth it, as well as birth control; i'm just too scared to take it. If my acne gets worse, I don't know whether i'll be able to face the depression, because it's bad enough now (not sure if it is actually clinical depression, but it sure feels like it!). Thought that going the natural way (Cod liver oil tablets, multivitamins, lots of water, avoiding dairy and too much sugar) would help, but it hasn't seemed to have done much. Then again, I've really only been doing it for 3 weeks. I guess I was just scarred from the time when I had tried a set of products prescribed for me for 6 whole months when i was 14, and all it did was turn my mild acne into severe acne (yes, severe; not even moderate). I don't know what to trust and what not to trust. Crazy rant I got going on here, I want to be happy but its not always easy to keep that facade on. It hurts guys, really hurts.

Hey! Try not to feel depressed, depression only makes the situation worse. My doctor prescribed Vitamin D to help with hormonal acne (it's a pro-hormone) and depression, and I have only been taking it for a month but my mood has really changed. I don't get depressed that often now. Maybe you should go see a naturopath or a doctor who will try other methods (like testing for vitamin deficiencies and prescribing supplements) before putting you on hormonal treatments. When you take supplements, it really helps to get tested for deficiencies so that you are taking the right supplements for you. I tried diets and supplements that worked for other people, but I really had to find something that worked for me based on what my body needed. And as for hormonal acne, I call tell you from personal experience that the right supplements, healthy lifestyle changes (long term, not only a few weeks), and happiness truly work. If a doctor only gives you 2 or 3 options (accutane, birth control, antibiotics/ topicals), then you should go to a different one who has more options because trust me, there are plenty of options (check the lifestyle forum for ideas).

Thanks for the tips! When you go to a naturopath, is it a regular visit type thing or you see them once and they tell you what to get? I was considering a hormone test but apparently taking those are not very effective (so my dermatologist says). Also, do you have any idea whether taking antibiotics such as minocin would interfere with supplements such as cod liver oil/multivitamins/etc?

so bad :( after mono my acne is coming back ... i have a pimple a day, and before mono i had 1 pimple in two weeks, i feel so bad, i even cant sleep.. and i always looking on my closeup photos before mono and being so jealous on myself.. i hope it will be all gone sometime..

Thought I was doing ok until I saw myself in a public mirror today.

me 2 bro. me 2

1 person likes this

Thanks for the tips! When you go to a naturopath, is it a regular visit type thing or you see them once and they tell you what to get? I was considering a hormone test but apparently taking those are not very effective (so my dermatologist says). Also, do you have any idea whether taking antibiotics such as minocin would interfere with supplements such as cod liver oil/multivitamins/etc?

It depends on what you can afford. A good naturopath will need to see you at least once a month to change the herbs they prescribe. They might also need to run some hormonal tests and tests for vitamin deficiencies to figure out the best combination of herbs and supplements for you. It's all customized, so you don't just get a pill that everyone uses. No hormone test is 100% accurate, but saliva testing is more accurate than blood tests for hormonal imbalances. No, it is not recommended that you take antibiotics with herbal treatments and supplements. The whole point in going to see a naturopath is to get on a more "natural" path, so if you are taking antibiotics you are essentially doing the opposite of what the naturopath will tell you to do. They will be able to suggest natural antibiotics if you have a viral or bacterial infection.

Current regimen: garlic supplements [as needed], Enzymedica gluten blocker [as needed], nicadan [not sure if it works yet]. I try to simplify as much as I can. Don't take more supplements than you need....try one at a time and be patient.

The supplements that really helped me when my acne was at its worst: inositol, DIM [not as frequently now!] digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips/ low acid [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3, superoxide dismutase (SOD) enzyme supplements. NOTE: I do not recommend DIM for long term use, and I do not recommend hormonal creams without doctor supervision.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: acupuncture, regular exercise/ yoga, low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials...

Grocery list:

** Find the cause, find the cure **

** If you have a question for me, please ask it publicly so that others can benefit from the discussion**

I dunno, but I've been breaking out around mouth. I am not concerned since my face is still very smooth. It could be due to shaving. I have like 2 active ones and 2 dries one.. One of the active , it hurts when I move my mouth >_<

Best way to make your skin smooth and clear eventually:

Plant-based diet is the best medicine for everything.. That's if you consume at least 80% raw, mainly from veggies and fruits.

Exercising: cardio is great for skin and lifting a bit.

Thinking positive and try not to stress or think about acne.

I am doing these and my skin is currently very smooth and clearing up!

I am a vegan raw 100%. I feel better, have more energy, saving animals a year, glow skin, I look younger, etc.

Last night I made my fenugreek tea, which on the package says "slightly bitter taste" but has never tasted bitter to me. Well last night it did, extremely so. I managed to drink about half of it, in hopes that a more bitter taste might mean it's stronger and the positive effects would be increased. Turns out, I was actually drinking a bunch of heat-activated chemicals from the rubber and plastic hot water bottle my stepmom was using for my dad's sore neck. She was frigging recycling the water (undrinkable well water, to boot) from the bottle into the kettle, and left it there for 2 days. What a total airhead. All of this concern I've had over the years for my health, and I just throw it away with half a cup of rubber- and plastic-laced well water. Grrrrrrr.

I don't think such risky behaviour should be encouraged... Don't just trust on "other people have done it, so it's ok" smile.png Only a dermatologist should drain a cyst, because to make it right, you need to drain it totally, so that no pus is left under the surface.

I had a huge and painful cyst on my cheek for around 2 months and it didn't seem to get smaller. So I washed my face and hands neatly, took a sterile needle, dipped it into antiseptic medicine (the one you usually put on wounds), carefully pierced it and drained it really well - there was some blood at the end as well. After that I desinfected the cyst, put on a layer of Duac (antibiotic klindamicyn and bp) and didn't touch that place for few days. It sounds like nothing go wrong with such careful extraction, and it started healing immediatly and didn't fill in again. However... The scar I was left with... The deepest scar I have on my face right now, which you can see in the picture. I used Duac for a year to make it look better and it didn't.

Ofc, I'm not saying this will happen to you, but it's not good to act so reclessly when you really want to get rid of acne. It's like fighting obesity and taking a piece of cake at night, thinking that everyone gives up to temptation sometimes biggrin.png

Don't touch your cysts, seriously! Let the dermatologist do it smile.png

Pianina, you don't have to answer this by any means as I know it's kind of rude of me to ask, but I was just wondering how long it took after your cyst went down for you to see the scar from it develop? The one I attacked went down about a week and a half ago now and I can see a very small indentation but it's barely noticeable and I don't think anyone else would spot it at all. At the moment it looks mostly like hyperpigmentation that's already beginning to fade but I'm not sure if this means I got off lightly for my recklessness of if the scarring part is still to come. unsure.png

Epiduo
Zineryt

My Log:

Acne status: Odd spot here and there but mostly clear. Mainly struggling with oil, shine, and scars/hyperpigmentation.

I don't think such risky behaviour should be encouraged... Don't just trust on "other people have done it, so it's ok" smile.png Only a dermatologist should drain a cyst, because to make it right, you need to drain it totally, so that no pus is left under the surface.

I had a huge and painful cyst on my cheek for around 2 months and it didn't seem to get smaller. So I washed my face and hands neatly, took a sterile needle, dipped it into antiseptic medicine (the one you usually put on wounds), carefully pierced it and drained it really well - there was some blood at the end as well. After that I desinfected the cyst, put on a layer of Duac (antibiotic klindamicyn and bp) and didn't touch that place for few days. It sounds like nothing go wrong with such careful extraction, and it started healing immediatly and didn't fill in again. However... The scar I was left with... The deepest scar I have on my face right now, which you can see in the picture. I used Duac for a year to make it look better and it didn't.

Ofc, I'm not saying this will happen to you, but it's not good to act so reclessly when you really want to get rid of acne. It's like fighting obesity and taking a piece of cake at night, thinking that everyone gives up to temptation sometimes biggrin.png

Don't touch your cysts, seriously! Let the dermatologist do it smile.png

Pianina, you don't have to answer this by any means as I know it's kind of rude of me to ask, but I was just wondering how long it took after your cyst went down for you to see the scar from it develop? The one I attacked went down about a week and a half ago now and I can see a very small indentation but it's barely noticeable and I don't think anyone else would spot it at all. At the moment it looks mostly like hyperpigmentation that's already beginning to fade but I'm not sure if this means I got off lightly for my recklessness of if the scarring part is still to come. unsure.png

It's not rude at all :)

The cyst started going down around 3-5 months after popping it, at first it only left hyper pigmentation. And it got the worst a year after :(

Diagnosed with PCOS

Meds:

- Yasmin birth control

Skincare:

- Hemp oil

It's not rude at all smile.png

The cyst started going down around 3-5 months after popping it, at first it only left hyper pigmentation. And it got the worst a year after sad.png

Thanks Pianina, I'm so sorry that happened to you! :( Clearly I'm not out of the woods yet then. I just really hope I get lucky!

Epiduo
Zineryt

My Log:

Horrible! I have a terrible premenstrual breakout these days. Not seen the likes of this since I was a hormonal teenager! I think the birth control pill I was taking is to blame. All it seems to have done is make my acne worse! Argh!! Needless to say, I will not be starting another pack next week...

My BCP Diary -

well some random girl insulted me on facebook and she not even that pretty she just have a clear skin..and I kept on thinking the things she sed like I'm a pimpled face girl, its so many that there's no space for any.That kind of words..But honestly I don't have any pimples now just deep acne scars and its not even the red ones..She insulted me 2 days ago and I can't get it out of my head everytime I think about what she sed I pity myself for having a bad skin sad.png

Wow, she sounds like a really ugly person on the inside, where it actually matters. Sucks to be her.

Those spots went down after about a week. I have a little bit of hyper pigmentation now, but it's the very faded brown kind and not the red kind, so I'm hoping it'll clear off soon. Mineral foundation seems to help it fade a lot faster - maybe the zinc content? Or the placebo effect! :P

Hold on in there guys. Things will get better <3

1 person likes this

Currently clear of acne with the occasional hormonal breakout. Check out my routines and progress updates here:
http://www.acne.org/...g-and-duac-gel/

Treat yourself as you treat others.

I'm starting a new birth control today! I feel about 1 million times better after getting my Mirena IUD out, but I still need to control any births.... SO, Beyaz it is!

I'm nervous because it's a combo estrogen/progesterone pill, but I'm also really hopeful that it will at least help.

These days, I seem to only get cystic acne. For some reason, I'm actually happy about it....it was the constant painful whiteheads ALL OVER that would bother me and look terrible under makeup. My cysts that are located only on my jawline and neck are actually easier to cover and since I have longer hair now, I can hide them with it. I don't really have much acne on my cheeks and forehead, just some blackheads.

I have classically hormonal acne. Here's to hoping my birth control will help me out. I'm going to make a log about it, but I so dread an intense breakout. I don't think I can handle it. I have SOOO MANY important things to do this week and next!!

It's not rude at all smile.png

The cyst started going down around 3-5 months after popping it, at first it only left hyper pigmentation. And it got the worst a year after sad.png

Thanks Pianina, I'm so sorry that happened to you! sad.png Clearly I'm not out of the woods yet then. I just really hope I get lucky!

Yeah, but don't just sit and hope to get lucky - drink more water, add some fatty foods like salmon, walnuts, avocado to your diet, use some sulfur cream on that spot.. You know, help your skin not to scar :)

I used loads of clyndamycin + bp on mine, while it was still a dark spot (at that time I thought bp bleaches hyperpigmentation, what an idiot... It actually slows down the healing, dries skin out = increases scarring...).

1 person likes this

Diagnosed with PCOS

Meds:

- Yasmin birth control

Skincare:

- Hemp oil

Yeah, but don't just sit and hope to get lucky - drink more water, add some fatty foods like salmon, walnuts, avocado to your diet, use some sulfur cream on that spot.. You know, help your skin not to scar smile.png

I used loads of clyndamycin + bp on mine, while it was still a dark spot (at that time I thought bp bleaches hyperpigmentation, what an idiot... It actually slows down the healing, dries skin out = increases scarring...).

Thanks for the advice Pianina! :) I'm not used to dealing with acne that leaves proper scars rather than just hyperpigmentation because I've never really had that type before this summer so I didn't have the first clue about what to do to minimise the scarring. I will try your suggestions though! I am using bp in my Epiduo at the moment which I'm using to deal with the active acne. I hope that doesn't increase my scarring too much because I think I'll just break out spectacularly again if I stop using it now. :(

Epiduo
Zineryt

My Log:

Yeah, but don't just sit and hope to get lucky - drink more water, add some fatty foods like salmon, walnuts, avocado to your diet, use some sulfur cream on that spot.. You know, help your skin not to scar smile.png

Thanks for the advice Pianina! smile.png I'm not used to dealing with acne that leaves proper scars rather than just hyperpigmentation because I've never really had that type before this summer so I didn't have the first clue about what to do to minimise the scarring. I will try your suggestions though! I am using bp in my Epiduo at the moment which I'm using to deal with the active acne. I hope that doesn't increase my scarring too much because I think I'll just break out spectacularly again if I stop using it now. sad.png

Just on the topic of scarring - I think I'm noticing some indented scarring (very shallow indents though) as I'm getting older opposed to just hyperpigmentation and I think that's because collagen production slows as you get older. I'm not sure if there's truth to that but it's just something I've been meaning to look into lately.

I don't know a lot about BP and 'proper' scarring (indented or larger scars) but I do think it increases hyperpigmentation 'scarring' - it's definitely annoying to deal with - and just one of the reasons why I'd rather not be using BP... but I can't ignore the fact that it's helping my skin and I'm at a (mental / emotional) point where I just need something to work or I don't know what I'd do... probably continue in the downward spiral I had been in... And for me personally BP was the 'best' option for now.

Started The Acne.org Regimen 2nd July 2013