Geeking

How ya feelin' about your acne today?

7,826 posts in this topic

I'm losing my hair too! Every time I brush my hair, my hair brush is full of my hair, my hair is always all over my clothes, etc. My hair used to be so thick.

:( I've gone to my doctor many times for it, but he thinks it's normal. It really bothers me. I wonder what it could be.

I know this has nothing to do with acne, but I'm losing my hair!!!! :***( I'm down to about a third of the original thickness. Every time I wash my hair, shocks/locks of it fall out. It's more every time. And when I run my hand through my hair, a few strands fall out. It's literally like one strand every five minutes. I made an appointment with a derm in my area today for that purpose. I'll probably cancel my appt with the OB, just because I didn't realize that derms dealt with hair issues as well...

My skin is looking pretty clear, on the bright side. I've decided that I'm going to refrain from make-up as long as I can, even when college starts up again. I'll use it on nights out and special occasions only. I was thinking of buying some MAC foundation, since I used to use that sparingly in high school and loved the way that it looked, but my True Match topped with Alima Pure looked so wonderful today when I tried it on, that I just decided against it for now. I don't want to waste money...

Today I just feel, awful sad.png Along my jaw at my chin is just inflamed everywhere with clogged pores, all clustered together, so it's super red,. It feels dry too and so so itchy, I have to resist the urge to just scratch al it like mad. I'm obsessively tracking my package from Paula's Choice.. I'm really desperate to start using that regimen.. I'm so embarrassed by my skin I can't even find the courage to go out anywhere.

Don't scratch it! CeraVe cream is usually pretty good at getting my itchies/inflamed/irritated skin under control when it acts up under my chin. You might wanna consider using it with a mild face wash like Olay for sensitive skin until your paula's choice gets in. I wouldn't use actives on dry and really itchy skin. It's one thing to have dry, red skin and another for it to be itchy and inflamed. I would def. get that under control first!

I feel you with the embarrassment I feel like everyone on this thread has felt that way at some point. You just have to hold your chin up, because the more you let it prevent you from living your life, the worse you are going to feel. Go hangout with some friends or family and get your mind off of it! That's what I do when I feel down about my skin.

I know this has nothing to do with acne, but I'm losing my hair!!!! :***( I'm down to about a third of the original thickness. Every time I wash my hair, shocks/locks of it fall out. It's more every time. And when I run my hand through my hair, a few strands fall out. It's literally like one strand every five minutes. I made an appointment with a derm in my area today for that purpose. I'll probably cancel my appt with the OB, just because I didn't realize that derms dealt with hair issues as well...

My skin is looking pretty clear, on the bright side. I've decided that I'm going to refrain from make-up as long as I can, even when college starts up again. I'll use it on nights out and special occasions only. I was thinking of buying some MAC foundation, since I used to use that sparingly in high school and loved the way that it looked, but my True Match topped with Alima Pure looked so wonderful today when I tried it on, that I just decided against it for now. I don't want to waste money...

I'm losing my hair too! Every time I brush my hair, my hair brush is full of my hair, my hair is always all over my clothes, etc. My hair used to be so thick.

sad.png I've gone to my doctor many times for it, but he thinks it's normal. It really bothers me. I wonder what it could be.

Same here! I asked my doctor about it a few months ago when I had a blood test for PCOS and was asking about using birth control or spiro for my acne. She didn't seem worried or concerned about it - but to me it's thinning.

It really scares me at times but I haven't been worrying about it so much lately. It's hard for me to tell if I am actually losing hair or not - I realised I stopped brushing my hair that often because I was worried about that causing more hair loss - but then that makes it look like I'm losing more hair when I do brush my hair because the 'normal' everyday hair loss is just staying 'caught' in my hair and all coming out at once when I brush so it looks like a lot. (I don't know if that makes sense to you but not sure how else to say it). Same for in the shower - I feel I lose a lot more than what's normal in the shower. And throughout the day if I run my fingers in my hair I'll have a few strands in my hand. I was very stressed and had high anxiety a couple of months ago when this was worrying me the most - I think things like high stress and anxiety can cause hair loss too so that could have been contributing to it for me then. For now I'm keeping an eye on it but trying not to stress about it because I think that could make it worse. I think I would much rather have acne than lose my hair if it couldn't grow back.

1 person likes this

Started The Acne.org Regimen 2nd July 2013

I avoided sulfites at all costs these past few days, after a nasty flare up last week. My skin was doing so well for over a month now, so I needed to figure out what caused this sudden flare up. I took close up pics of my acne and realized it might all be an allergic reaction, except for a few hormonal break outs. My daily regimen -- including diet, supplements, and cosmetics -- is so controlled at this point, that any new addition makes a difference in my skin. After switching up my shampoo, shower gel, toothpaste, and a few other products, as well as avoiding sulfites in food preservatives, my skin is clearing up again. All within a span of 5 days. I will see how it goes this month, and if I am indeed on the right track I will do an extensive post on the diet forum to explain the connections I have found between histamines, intolerances, and acne. I wish I could go back and re-do my PhD in a more useful field, like dermatology. Sigh.

Current regimen: garlic supplements [as needed], Enzymedica gluten blocker [as needed], nicadan [not sure if it works yet]. I try to simplify as much as I can. Don't take more supplements than you need....try one at a time and be patient.

The supplements that really helped me when my acne was at its worst: inositol, DIM [not as frequently now!] digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips/ low acid [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3, superoxide dismutase (SOD) enzyme supplements. NOTE: I do not recommend DIM for long term use, and I do not recommend hormonal creams without doctor supervision.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: acupuncture, regular exercise/ yoga, low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials...

Grocery list:

** Find the cause, find the cure **

** If you have a question for me, please ask it publicly so that others can benefit from the discussion**

>I'm losing my hair too! Every time I brush my hair, my hair brush is full of my hair, my hair is always all over my clothes, etc. My hair used to be so thick.

sad.png I've gone to my doctor many times for it, but he thinks it's normal. It really bothers me. I wonder what it could be.

Same here! I asked my doctor about it a few months ago when I had a blood test for PCOS and was asking about using birth control or spiro for my acne. She didn't seem worried or concerned about it - but to me it's thinning.

It really scares me at times but I haven't been worrying about it so much lately. It's hard for me to tell if I am actually losing hair or not - I realised I stopped brushing my hair that often because I was worried about that causing more hair loss - but then that makes it look like I'm losing more hair when I do brush my hair because the 'normal' everyday hair loss is just staying 'caught' in my hair and all coming out at once when I brush so it looks like a lot. (I don't know if that makes sense to you but not sure how else to say it). Same for in the shower - I feel I lose a lot more than what's normal in the shower. And throughout the day if I run my fingers in my hair I'll have a few strands in my hand. I was very stressed and had high anxiety a couple of months ago when this was worrying me the most - I think things like high stress and anxiety can cause hair loss too so that could have been contributing to it for me then. For now I'm keeping an eye on it but trying not to stress about it because I think that could make it worse. I think I would much rather have acne than lose my hair if it couldn't grow back.

Oh my goodness, it is scary, isn't it? I totally know what you mean- I can't tell if I'm actually losing my hair either! I've tried brushing it as little as possible, and I only wash my hair every other day now because I also feel like I lose more hair after showering. Yeah probably right that stress makes it worse, but it's hard not to stress out when your hair is falling out! I really feel like it has a hormonal component to it. Right before I took Accutane, when my acne was at it's worst, large painful pimples all over my chin and the oiliest skin in the world, I developed alopecia and I was left with a huge bald spot on the right side of my head. Luckily there was a layer of hair to cover it, and it has since then grown back, but ever since then my hair has been getting thinner, and I have more all-over hair loss. I was just looking at a picture of myself from a couple of years ago, and my hair was so, so thick! I'd say my hair is half the thickness now of what it was. It's driving me crazy. I miss my thick hair. :(

1 person likes this

I get paranoid about my hair too. Some parts of my hair seem different since going on bcps. I try not to think about it much and figure your hair sheds daily so it's best not to worry unless it's really falling out in handfuls. For me, stress definitely plays a part.... @skinnie I hope it gets figured out.

1 person likes this

"...But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see..."

Oh my goodness, it is scary, isn't it? I totally know what you mean- I can't tell if I'm actually losing my hair either! I've tried brushing it as little as possible, and I only wash my hair every other day now because I also feel like I lose more hair after showering. Yeah probably right that stress makes it worse, but it's hard not to stress out when your hair is falling out! I really feel like it has a hormonal component to it. Right before I took Accutane, when my acne was at it's worst, large painful pimples all over my chin and the oiliest skin in the world, I developed alopecia and I was left with a huge bald spot on the right side of my head. Luckily there was a layer of hair to cover it, and it has since then grown back, but ever since then my hair has been getting thinner, and I have more all-over hair loss. I was just looking at a picture of myself from a couple of years ago, and my hair was so, so thick! I'd say my hair is half the thickness now of what it was. It's driving me crazy. I miss my thick hair. sad.png

Yeah it is scary! I can only imagine what it would have been like dealing with alopecia. I would have been terrified honestly. Glad to hear things have improved since then though.

In high school people used to tell me they loved my hair. I'm sure it's thinned a fair bit since then.

It's hard to work out the cause. I'm sure there's a hormonal component to it too. Could be some sort of vitamin deficiency also and stress like I said before.

Hopefully we all figure out what the deal is with this thinning hair issue and how to help it. Hope it only improves from here on!!

not combing hair is never a solution.

u're just making it worse actually.u are just giving it more time to stay entangled(if i may call it so) and then the next time u comb.bomb!

so find out the real cause.

could be deficiency or plain hereditary.

also,check for the products u use.

note, rainy season or sometimes colder weather causes comparatively more hair fall than usual.

its pretty common.

Itchy red raised skin - dermatitis??

huge pores

indented scar

oils used for cooking

inflamed whiteheads & clogged pores

my balanced diet chart and skincare routine(medications taken & products used now)

Fmqzsxunhertsxcfglkjoiiuytrgjvxsfurwshkaoivvs

Edited by Sum1killme

Fed up. I have a really painful lump with a whitehead on top of it near my nose and then a few healing ones. I just want a permanent solution!

No longer have any cetaphil, so I'm using a horrible clean and clear cleanser and jojoba oil wasn't really doing anything fantastic for my skin, so I stopped using that too.

-_-

Edited by LewisS

not combing hair is never a solution.

u're just making it worse actually.u are just giving it more time to stay entangled(if i may call it so) and then the next time u comb.bomb!

That's what I was trying to say a few posts ago but I think you said it in a better / easier to understand way! :)

I think that's a big part of it for me. Hopefully it means it looks worse than it actually is...

I didn't know that about colder weather - it's winter here at the moment (as it was about a month ago when I was really worried about hair loss) so that could be a factor for me too.

Thanks for the info!

I avoided sulfites at all costs these past few days, after a nasty flare up last week. My skin was doing so well for over a month now, so I needed to figure out what caused this sudden flare up. I took close up pics of my acne and realized it might all be an allergic reaction, except for a few hormonal break outs. My daily regimen -- including diet, supplements, and cosmetics -- is so controlled at this point, that any new addition makes a difference in my skin. After switching up my shampoo, shower gel, toothpaste, and a few other products, as well as avoiding sulfites in food preservatives, my skin is clearing up again. All within a span of 5 days. I will see how it goes this month, and if I am indeed on the right track I will do an extensive post on the diet forum to explain the connections I have found between histamines, intolerances, and acne. I wish I could go back and re-do my PhD in a more useful field, like dermatology. Sigh.

Can you do a PhD in dermatology? I thought that was a specialty after completing medical school? And, boy, is that a long road. 2 years of pre-med courses, MCAT, 4 years of med school, USMLE, and then you have to top to get a residency in dermatology, and finally, you must pass your boards. URGH, right?

Sometimes, I feel like everyone on this board works so hard for clear skin. So freaking hard. And I know people out there who say "but it gets clean in the shower" or wash their face with freaking scented body wash, pick and pop the couple of pimples that they get, etc. and they still don't have acne. It seems so unfair.

I quite honestly think that it's a lot of things combined: 1. HOR-freaking-MONES. Something about living in industrialized countries screws them up. I don't know what. But when I was in India, there was literally no one with acne in the rural areas there. I only saw a little acne in the cities, and there was no one with really severe acne at all in the cities. Maybe sleeping and eating habits contribute to that? The food there is so much fresher and not GMO. I'm making guesses at best here. One thing I've noticed is that I let stress and college affect how much I sleep and what I eat. I also use hot water to shower. 2. living in a high stress environment and our immune system response to such high stress. Cortisol suppresses your immune response, and I feel like chronic stress could explain acne. The bacteria/infection causing acne doesn't get beat down by the immune system quickly enough. 2. screwed up homeostasis of the skin. I feel like some of us are really overzealous with our skin during our teenage years. I know I was. Maybe this damages sebaceous glands and impairs this function. I feel like it wouldn't last so long, but who knows? Maybe hormonal changes during puberty are supposed to affect/change the development of sebaceous glands (you don't have apocrine glands as a child) and these are affected by some event or another and don't develop normally. In that case, acne really would just be freaking hopeless, wouldn't it?

Summer Routine
AM

CeraVe Hydrating Bar

Paula's Choice 8% AHA Gel

Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion everywhere but forehead

Vaseline everywhere but forehead  (can't emphasize enough)

BP 2.5% 

L'areal True Match Lumi W6/ mix with Pro-Glow in 209 if need darker color 

PM
Garnier Micellar Water on a cotton pad for eye makeup,
Simple Micellar for foundation

CeraVe Hydrating Bar 

Paula's Choice 8% AHA and 2% BHA

Wait 15 min 

Shark sauce on lower face

Pop white heads with popping utensil if needed. Leave popped pimple alone

Can you do a PhD in dermatology? I thought that was a specialty after completing medical school? And, boy, is that a long road. 2 years of pre-med courses, MCAT, 4 years of med school, USMLE, and then you have to top to get a residency in dermatology, and finally, you must pass your boards. URGH, right?

Sometimes, I feel like everyone on this board works so hard for clear skin. So freaking hard. And I know people out there who say "but it gets clean in the shower" or wash their face with freaking scented body wash, pick and pop the couple of pimples that they get, etc. and they still don't have acne. It seems so unfair.

I quite honestly think that it's a lot of things combined: 1. HOR-freaking-MONES. Something about living in industrialized countries screws them up. I don't know what. But when I was in India, there was literally no one with acne in the rural areas there. I only saw a little acne in the cities, and there was no one with really severe acne at all in the cities. Maybe sleeping and eating habits contribute to that? The food there is so much fresher and not GMO. I'm making guesses at best here. One thing I've noticed is that I let stress and college affect how much I sleep and what I eat. I also use hot water to shower. 2. living in a high stress environment and our immune system response to such high stress. Cortisol suppresses your immune response, and I feel like chronic stress could explain acne. The bacteria/infection causing acne doesn't get beat down by the immune system quickly enough. 2. screwed up homeostasis of the skin. I feel like some of us are really overzealous with our skin during our teenage years. I know I was. Maybe this damages sebaceous glands and impairs this function. I feel like it wouldn't last so long, but who knows? Maybe hormonal changes during puberty are supposed to affect/change the development of sebaceous glands (you don't have apocrine glands as a child) and these are affected by some event or another and don't develop normally. In that case, acne really would just be freaking hopeless, wouldn't it?

that is so not right.

am not sure which city of india u were in or when u were here but am guessing that hardly matters.

acne is widespread,really.and going by ur age,iu must be talking about people around our age or a lil' older may be.

acne is quite prevalent here.

in the cities and although i think its less in the rural cities but 'genetics' does play a role irrespective of city or village.

u wanna take up anything to do with dermatology?

am not sure about the US but here(as u must already know), phD doesnt need a med school degree.

am curious as to whats the rule there?

Itchy red raised skin - dermatitis??

huge pores

indented scar

oils used for cooking

inflamed whiteheads & clogged pores

my balanced diet chart and skincare routine(medications taken & products used now)

that is so not right.

am not sure which city of india u were in or when u were here but am guessing that hardly matters.

acne is widespread,really.and going by ur age,iu must be talking about people around our age or a lil' older may be.

acne is quite prevalent here.

in the cities and although i think its less in the rural cities but 'genetics' does play a role irrespective of city or village.

u wanna take up anything to do with dermatology?

am not sure about the US but here(as u must already know), phD doesnt need a med school degree.

am curious as to whats the rule there?

I totally agree with you both. Genetics does play a role, that's why people who tend to get acne are labeled "acne prone." But also, as skinnie pointed out, hormones and lifestyle play a huge role. GMO, pesticides, and certain preservatives (like the sulfite connection I'm making) can mess up our hormones if we are sensitive (especially for women with PCOS for instance) and cause histamine reactions that affect the immune system. If a person has an intolerance to certain chemicals, it can go on for years without being diagnosed because conventional allergy tests only diagnose full blown allergies. In my case, the allergy tests showed high IgE (antibody reaction) levels, but the actual allergen couldn't be found so they recommended an anti-histamine diet and regimen. If you suspect a sulfite or salicylate intolerance, checking your IgE and IgG levels can be the first step.

It's about what we put on and in our bodies. Ironically, most acne products are filled with sulfates and salycilates, which some people cannot tolerate in high amounts. Now I know why my acne never responded to acne products.

I'm going to do a full post on this at the end of this month if my theory is truly correct, I am taking photos to document the progress.

Edited by WishClean
1 person likes this

Current regimen: garlic supplements [as needed], Enzymedica gluten blocker [as needed], nicadan [not sure if it works yet]. I try to simplify as much as I can. Don't take more supplements than you need....try one at a time and be patient.

The supplements that really helped me when my acne was at its worst: inositol, DIM [not as frequently now!] digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips/ low acid [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3, superoxide dismutase (SOD) enzyme supplements. NOTE: I do not recommend DIM for long term use, and I do not recommend hormonal creams without doctor supervision.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: acupuncture, regular exercise/ yoga, low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials...

Grocery list:

** Find the cause, find the cure **

** If you have a question for me, please ask it publicly so that others can benefit from the discussion**

Oh my goodness, it is scary, isn't it? I totally know what you mean- I can't tell if I'm actually losing my hair either! I've tried brushing it as little as possible, and I only wash my hair every other day now because I also feel like I lose more hair after showering. Yeah probably right that stress makes it worse, but it's hard not to stress out when your hair is falling out! I really feel like it has a hormonal component to it. Right before I took Accutane, when my acne was at it's worst, large painful pimples all over my chin and the oiliest skin in the world, I developed alopecia and I was left with a huge bald spot on the right side of my head. Luckily there was a layer of hair to cover it, and it has since then grown back, but ever since then my hair has been getting thinner, and I have more all-over hair loss. I was just looking at a picture of myself from a couple of years ago, and my hair was so, so thick! I'd say my hair is half the thickness now of what it was. It's driving me crazy. I miss my thick hair. sad.png

Yeah it is scary! I can only imagine what it would have been like dealing with alopecia. I would have been terrified honestly. Glad to hear things have improved since then though.

In high school people used to tell me they loved my hair. I'm sure it's thinned a fair bit since then.

It's hard to work out the cause. I'm sure there's a hormonal component to it too. Could be some sort of vitamin deficiency also and stress like I said before.

Hopefully we all figure out what the deal is with this thinning hair issue and how to help it. Hope it only improves from here on!!

Dealing with alopecia was awful! I felt horribly gross and ugly. I was petrified that it wouldn't grow back. People also used to compliment my hair a lot, but I don't get that much anymore.

I'm sure you're right that all of those factors play a part. I was looking into vitamin deficiencies that would cause thinning hair, and I'm going to try incorporating more foods high in those vitamins into my diet, and I will probably start taking some supplements.

I hope we figure it out too, and that this problem will improve! :)

1 person likes this

For everyone with those recent posts about hair concerns, a little information that may or may not be helpful. It is within the normal range to lose about 100 strands per day. For people with long hair--that looks like an awful lot of hair! In fact, I have heard of people with super long hair becoming so obsessed with how much of their hair collects in the shower in the shower drain everyday that they decide to go short. It looks like a lot less hair. Hair growth and hair loss are influenced heavily by hormones as most women who have been pregnant have noticed. Every hair follicle goes through periods of growth and dormancy. The growth cycle is around 2-5 years. The length of this cycle is genetically determined. If you would let your hair grow without ever getting it cut (or experiencing breakage) you would find that it would reach a maximum length. People with longer growth cycles have a longer maximum length than someone with a shorter growth cycle. At the end of the 2-5 year growth cycle, the hair follicle temporarily stops producing new cells and hair growth stops for that strand of hair. Luckily not all of our hairs are on the same cycle. At the end of the dormant period the strand of hair is shed (these are called club hairs) when a new strand grows enough to eject the old hair from the follicle. What happens during pregnancy is that the cycles of a lot of hair syncronize due to the hormones. Many pregnant women notice thicker hair. After the pregnancy, those hormones, in the process of returning to normal, cause many hairs to end their dormancy period simultaneously. It is significant enough that women notice the visible change in the thickness of their hair and an increase in the number of club hairs in their brushes and drains, but it is completely normal. I imagine that depending on the birth control pill, you could experience the same effect.

2 people like this

Fish oil is my favorite supplement because it improves my skin AND it improves my mood!

Motto: Love Life in spite of everything!

We are all capable of more than we give ourselves credit for. We are all capable of more than what we are doing now.

I finally found the paper with my blood test results from some months ago. My gynaecologist said everything was quite fine, but I checked out myself and few things seemed quite odd. First of all I'm quite low on TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone). It's not below the norm, but when I did the test a year ago, the doctor also mentioned it being a bit low. It was 0.55 mE/L out of 0.20 - 4.00. Isn't it a bit low? FSH (follicular stimulating hormones) is low too. It's 2.5 E/L which makes it fall to pre-puberty category instead of the one for women in fertile age. Estradiol (main estrogen) seems to be stuck in follicular phase...
If anyone here know something about hormones, please tell me if I should worry about these things. My gynaecologist didn't pay much attention to them, so I thought everything's fine, besides me having PCOS.

Diagnosed with PCOS

Occasional acne + rolling scars

Meds:

- Yasmin birth control
- Spironolactone 37,5mg going 25mg
- Inositol powder 2 times/day before meal

Skincare:

- Hemp oil

I finally found the paper with my blood test results from some months ago. My gynaecologist said everything was quite fine, but I checked out myself and few things seemed quite odd. First of all I'm quite low on TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone). It's not below the norm, but when I did the test a year ago, the doctor also mentioned it being a bit low. It was 0.55 mE/L out of 0.20 - 4.00. Isn't it a bit low? FSH (follicular stimulating hormones) is low too. It's 2.5 E/L which makes it fall to pre-puberty category instead of the one for women in fertile age. Estradiol (main estrogen) seems to be stuck in follicular phase...

If anyone here know something about hormones, please tell me if I should worry about these things. My gynaecologist didn't pay much attention to them, so I thought everything's fine, besides me having PCOS.

Hey, if it's within range then it's ok and nothing to worry about. Your gyno would have definately said so otherwise. If you're worried about it though then best thing would be to contact you gynaecologist or doctor and tell them you're concerned about your results and ask them to explain these results. I'd be extremely suspect of anyone here claiming to be able to advise you about this babe x

Finished Roaccutane!

I can't remember the results of my blood test for this but I know my doctor said something about a hormone being low but that could have been due to whatever point in my cycle I was. I remember her saying there's variation with the ranges too - like a figure can be a few numbers higher or lower than a certain number and it still be ok.

Sorry I can't be more specific or of more help - but isn't it possible that if some things seem low it could be due to whatever stage of your cycle you were at when you had the blood drawn for the test? Overall though, if you were told things are in range than that's good and you shouldn't worry! If you can / are still worried about it, go see about having another blood test done to see what the levels are now.

Ziiiiiiits

"...But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see..."

Hey, if it's within range then it's ok and nothing to worry about. Your gyno would have definately said so otherwise. If you're worried about it though then best thing would be to contact you gynaecologist or doctor and tell them you're concerned about your results and ask them to explain these results. I'd be extremely suspect of anyone here claiming to be able to advise you about this babe x

Those ranges that doctors go by are averages for humans in general. I believe that individuals may operate at levels that are optimum for them. Your optimum may certainly be higher on the normal scale than me impacting your health even if your results are "normal". But that's just my opinion and I have no credentials backing this up, just observing life. However, you are certainly entitled to a second opinion. You do not need to go through all the testing again. Just request a copy of your results or have them faxed to another doctor. Any doctor should not be offended by asking for a second opinion. It is your health and you have to advocate for yourself.

Fish oil is my favorite supplement because it improves my skin AND it improves my mood!

Motto: Love Life in spite of everything!

We are all capable of more than we give ourselves credit for. We are all capable of more than what we are doing now.

Painful and itchy... I still feel worse. As I have major scars and my face and blemishes.... :(

No one's perfect and everyone can't always be handsome or beautiful. Be proud for who you are. :)

My skin looks and feels pretty good right now. Still getting at least 2 clogged pores a day, but I can extract them right away and they don't really leave marks so it's not a big deal, more like an annoyance that I hope goes away..

I've been feeling insecure about how oily I get, though...it just seems like in the summer I get these random comments on how I look "hot" or "sweaty" and it's just annoying! But I don't think I get abnormally oily, and I usually just blot my face throughout the day and that takes care of it. Thankfully my makeup never really sweats off so that always looks fine. But hey, apparently I'll have better looking skin when I get older cause of the oiliness. :P And maybe this Spiro will make me less oily in the long run. In the mean time...I just have to deal with it and be thankful that I don't have more major skin problems.

[CURRENT REGIMEN]

AM:

Wash with La Roche-Posay Effaclar Foaming Gel (European version) + Clarisonic Mia

Apply CeraVe AM Moisturizer w/ SPF 30

Apply Aczone (dapsone)

PM:

Wash with La Roche-Posay Effaclar Foaming Gel + Clarisonic Mia
Apply CeraVe PM Moisturizer
Apply Epiduo (adapalene + benzoyl peroxide)
50 mg of Spironolactone

[CURRENT STATUS]
90% clear

I'm feeling really optimistic today because I got a call from one of my old supervisors to schedule an interview at my old job next week. I filled out a rehire form awhile ago in hopes that I could get back on with the company...and after I long wait this is the news I was really hoping to hear. The supervisor I'll be interviewing with is a really good guy and he's seen me multiple times in person so he knows I don't have perfect skin so that takes away a TON of the nervousness I would feel if it was someone completely new...I'm crossing my fingers that I get this job because it would be a major positive influence in my life right now.

I finally have my acne under control via The Regimen and this is big step to try and get myself back into the working world after almost a full year of unemployment and struggling with isolation/depression because of skin issues. In many ways I feel like this is my second chance. In the last few months I've found a treatment that actually works for my skin, I've found a girlfriend who I can openly confide in about my skin issues...and if I can get this job it will feel like one of the final steps to get my life back on track and out from under the dark cloud that acne and the emotional baggage that comes with it has caused me.

For a long time I feel that I kind of gave up...I let myself become detached from the world and I lived too deeply in my own head and let what I saw in the mirror drag me down and make me feel low. Even though I'm almost 99% clear right now I'll never be 100% happy with what I see when I look at myself in the mirror and I've reached a point where I can accept that. For too long I've chased after perfection when it comes to my face and the truth of the matter is perfection is not something anyone can really attain and it's a waste of time to keep seeking it out...so I'm at a point in my life now where I can accept that I'm flawed and move forward despite it. A part of me will always be reluctant to get back out there and face the world and another part of me is excited by the prospect of it...but regardless...I owe it to myself to at least try.

5 people like this

Daily Regimen:
-Clean and Clear Foaming Cleanser
-Dan's 2.5% BP
-Jojoba oil as moisturizer

Nightly Regimen:
-Clean and Clear Foaming Cleanser
-Dan's 2.5% BP
-Cetaphil moisturizer + a few drops of Jojoba oil

My Regimen Log: