How ya feelin' about your acne today?

7,806 posts in this topic

I'm trying to hang in here! My skin is in this weird limbo where it gets better and then acts up again...trying to find the connection, but looking forward to getting Dan's Regimen this week! :)

Only hard part is keeping up appearances. I'm a performer and I really can't stand the thought of people being able to see the bumps on my face under the stage lights...it bothers me so much. UGH.

1 person likes this

Well I'm finally back on accutane, low-dose 20mg. I'm so relieved to finally be GETTING somewhere and having some hope. Of course I've only been on it four days so there isn't any change besides dry lips, which I tend to to get pretty quickly. 'Tane in general tends to work really fast for me, usually within a couple weeks I start seeing good improvement. But I'm always afraid that stuff that's worked in the past won't work again. D:

I hate acne around my mouth. :< If I had to have acne, it's the LAST place I'd pick, because it's so freakin obvious and visible and it sucks. I got a cystic type spot a couple days ago and it quickly progressed to a whitehead which I picked, but it keeps reforming. JSHDKJFSD. I hope it's at least something I can cover with makeup by tomorrow since I work that day.

Mr. J and I were both off work yesterday and it was nice, I made us a big breakfast with flaky biscuits and everything. YUMMY! I haven't cared about my diet lately to be honest. I think it's a mix of depression and laziness. We didn't go anywhere because I feel self-conscious about myself, but I've promised we'll run about on the 4th and do some grilling or something. I'm really lucky he's so understanding.

Edited by freja

tumblr_mnwcm10dXd1qc1ptao1_500edited.jpg

So I've been taking about 2 grams of Vitamin C powder every day for a month or so. About two weeks in I started getting big cysts, which stopped, but now I'm getting 2-3 painful whiteheads on my chin and above my mouth every day. But my cheeks look really smooth and pimple-free, and the redness of my old marks is fading.

I never normally get pimples on my chin or jawline... like, never ever. Now I'm getting 2-3 a day so it's likely the vitamin C. But since my skin is improving in other areas, I don't feel like quitting it just yet.

Does anyone have any ideas why the vitamin C could be causing these chin/mouth pimples? Am I taking too much and straining my liver? Do I have an allergy to it, like alternativista and her citrus allergy that gives her jawline cysts? Could it be affecting my hormones, since hormonal acne is usually tied to the jawline? Or could it just be purging my skin, or an initial breakout or whatever, in which case I should keep going? I also tried applying the vitamin C topically a couple weeks ago, could it have taken this long to cause a breakout?

OH, I should also mention that I haven't been shaving, just trimming my short beard once a week or so. That... could be it. Right?

So I've been taking about 2 grams of Vitamin C powder every day for a month or so. About two weeks in I started getting big cysts, which stopped, but now I'm getting 2-3 painful whiteheads on my chin and above my mouth every day. But my cheeks look really smooth and pimple-free, and the redness of my old marks is fading.

I never normally get pimples on my chin or jawline... like, never ever. Now I'm getting 2-3 a day so it's likely the vitamin C. But since my skin is improving in other areas, I don't feel like quitting it just yet.

Does anyone have any ideas why the vitamin C could be causing these chin/mouth pimples? Am I taking too much and straining my liver? Do I have an allergy to it, like alternativista and her citrus allergy that gives her jawline cysts? Could it be affecting my hormones, since hormonal acne is usually tied to the jawline? Or could it just be purging my skin, or an initial breakout or whatever, in which case I should keep going? I also tried applying the vitamin C topically a couple weeks ago, could it have taken this long to cause a breakout?

OH, I should also mention that I haven't been shaving, just trimming my short beard once a week or so. That... could be it. Right?

I don't know that it's the vitamin C that causes my cysts. There are a few different compounds in citrus that people may have an intolerance to. Also, supplements are usually absorbic acid, which is not a natural form and I've recently read that is has some harmful effects. I didn't record the details into my brain, though. You'll have to look it up.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

I'm falling into a downwards spiral... My acne is not improving dramatically, but it's not terrible at the moment. The thing is that I'm gradually becoming more and more depressed.. Is it Diane or Androcur cause it, I don't know...

Two days ago something got into me and I overdosed some Atarax pills. I read it causes severe drowsiness and all I wanted to do was sleep for a long long time. So I took about 15 pills at once and went to bed. Woke up short of breath and needed an ambulance in the middle of the night. It was terrifying, I thought I'll suffocate and die.

Today I'm feeling as low as ever. I know i need to end taking the pills but I wanted to at least get some results from it...

Are you doing okay now? How are you feeling? I'm so sorry, that is so horrible and scary.

I'm okay, thank you for asking :) Have terrible headaches ever since then though... Not only it's horrible and scary, but also very stupid of me... I hope no one will repeat such action! P.s. you have such pretty pictures!! :)

Diagnosed with PCOS

Occasional acne + rolling scars

Meds:

- Yasmin birth control
- Spironolactone 37,5mg going 25mg
- Inositol powder 2 times/day before meal

Skincare:

- Hemp oil

I'm falling into a downwards spiral... My acne is not improving dramatically, but it's not terrible at the moment. The thing is that I'm gradually becoming more and more depressed.. Is it Diane or Androcur cause it, I don't know...

Two days ago something got into me and I overdosed some Atarax pills. I read it causes severe drowsiness and all I wanted to do was sleep for a long long time. So I took about 15 pills at once and went to bed. Woke up short of breath and needed an ambulance in the middle of the night. It was terrifying, I thought I'll suffocate and die.

Today I'm feeling as low as ever. I know i need to end taking the pills but I wanted to at least get some results from it...

Are you doing okay now? How are you feeling? I'm so sorry, that is so horrible and scary.

I'm okay, thank you for asking smile.png Have terrible headaches ever since then though... Not only it's horrible and scary, but also very stupid of me... I hope no one will repeat such action! P.s. you have such pretty pictures!! smile.png

Well, I'm glad you're okay! I'm sorry you're getting headaches though. I used to get terrible migraines, so I feel for you. I hope you'll be feeling better soon. Are you still taking the medications you mentioned?

Oh, and thank you!! :)

Skin looked pretty good today, no new blemishes, and I went out without makeup today and felt comfortable showing my bare face. :)

2 people like this

[CURRENT REGIMEN]

AM:

Wash with La Roche-Posay Effaclar Foaming Gel (European version) + Clarisonic Mia

Apply CeraVe AM Moisturizer w/ SPF 30

Apply Aczone (dapsone)

PM:

Wash with La Roche-Posay Effaclar Foaming Gel + Clarisonic Mia
Apply CeraVe PM Moisturizer
Apply Epiduo (adapalene + benzoyl peroxide)
50 mg of Spironolactone

[CURRENT STATUS]
90% clear

Hey Gunnke are you on meds or ever been on meds and if so would you recommend it? If I do decide to take the plunge and take meds would I have to take them for the rest of my life just to feel normal?

CBT sounds like bullshit to be honest from what I've read. There isn't anything some doctor can say that will make us feel any better, but meds might work. I just don't want to become dependent on them I just want to get through this rough time that I'm having and give a fuck about working out and taking care of myself again.

By the way yea I see what you have on your neck and I'm probably saying this because I was 100 times worse than you but it doesn't look like a big deal to me. But I do understand how you can be self conscious about it, trust me I know all about being self conscious. Imagine what you have on your neck all over your jawline, temple and cheeks and thats what I had in my 20's. I have the scars to prove it and it messes with me everyday.

Frank L, I am not currently on meds - however, in the past, I have taken amitriptyline and citalopram. Right now I would personally not take meds as they just dull you thoughts rather than deal with what caused you to become depressed in the first place. However, if someone is in a really bad place, meds can help to lift their mood and give them the impetus to do something about their situation. I am by no means an expert but in my opinion it all depends on the individual, their circumstances and the severity of their depression etc as to whether or not they take meds. Meds do not have to be for life - they can be a short term or a long term thing. Again it depends on the individual.

I am feeling a lot more positive today. I am still a bit broken out but it appears to be less red and there is nothing new forming so hopefully it will clear up in a few days. Pretty certain it is down to the fact that I have eaten quite a lot of bread in the past couple of weeks. This again was something that I agreed to do in conjunction with my CBT therapist and at first it had no affect whatsoever. However, within the space of a few days I completely broke out. I never normally eat bread so will go back to not eating it and see what happens.

Still undecided what to do about CBT. I have another session today so will voice my concerns when I see the therapist and see how it goes.

Edited by GUNNKE

it doesnt matter how i feel, i still have shit on my face regardless.

Today, somebody stared at me in disbelief. "You used too much foundation cream, you are orange, it's strange."

It was not foundation cream, it was Epiduo, that I use every night.

So, today, I feel hot and red. I'm on fire.

i am not even sure what i have got on my face.

i have pictures here -

i am really sad and stressed..i actually cried twice last night after a long long time.

although its not just my acne but personal reasons too.

i see old days of sickness and loneliness coming back.

*pain*

Itchy red raised skin - dermatitis??

huge pores

indented scar

oils used for cooking

inflamed whiteheads & clogged pores

my balanced diet chart and skincare routine(medications taken & products used now)

i have pictures here -

i am really sad and stressed..i actually cried twice last night after a long long time.

*pain*

Didi aap itni sad? aap toh meri idol ho when it comes to confidence :). Yes,we all have bad times and they suck... But stressing over it would make things worse.Listen to "Dil hai chota sa,choti si asha song".(If you can understand hindi well).It will soothe you. Well,it soothes me.As far as sickness and loneliness is concerned ,we have a beautiful community here.I always talk to people here when i feel lonely.You do the same . Also talk to your friends and loved ones randomly on phone when you feel lonely.It really helps.

Cheer up di comfort.gif

I stupidly picked at a blackhead last night that has been embedded in my skin for a while, causing it to bleed and all that. Now I have a red mark on my face...and it'll be a new dark spot. Even though I was kicking myself for it this morning, I actually am in a really good mood. The rest of my skin looks great, I think this new La Roche Posay cleanser is really working. I don't care about one mark on my face. It'll go away within a week at most and then it'll fade with time. :)

[CURRENT REGIMEN]

AM:

Wash with La Roche-Posay Effaclar Foaming Gel (European version) + Clarisonic Mia

Apply Aczone (dapsone)

PM:

50 mg of Spironolactone

[CURRENT STATUS]
90% clear

I love that feeling of seeing the red marks fade! Most of the ones I had from my severe acne on my forehead are totally gone now. After a certain point my skin is going to be one solid color. I can't even remember a time in the last 10 years when that happened.

4 people like this

Current Skin-Care Regimen (A work in progress):

Morning:

Gentle wash with DKR cleanser

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (Following Dan's Regimen)

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil (The lotion alone wasn't hydrating enough)

Skin 79 Korean BB Cream (excellent stuff)

Evening:

Gentle Wash with DKR Cleanser

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil

I haven't tried CBT but I tried biofeedback. I think every bit helps when it comes to fighting acne.

Update: I just moved to a new city, don't know many people here. Starting a new job next month and in the mean time I'm very broke. But surprisingly my skin is doing fine considering the stress of moving, lack of sleep, and being around lots of dust. I don't think it will ever go back to "normal" because the rolling scars are too noticeable to me. I'm too embarrassed to ask my friends about my face because I don't want them to think I'm superficial. And my family lives too far away so I have noone to tell me if I look normal or deformed. I don't know anymore. Some days I feel normal with makeup on, and other days I think I will never emotionally heal. I look at pictures of myself from some months ago and can't even recognize that person anymore. neutral.gif I guess we should be happy with what we got because there are no guarantees in life.

Ditto.I have rolling scars too And all on the right cheek.My right cheek bone always gets victimized sad.png.For now i'm close to my mother .So i'm feeling good.Don't know what will happen tomorrow.I'll be in college with my friends.There won't be anyone ... Who would i share my acne woes with...

By the way.You should cheer up. Because pretty women ain't got no worries smile.png

If only that were true...but thanks anyway rolleyes.gif

Current regimen: garlic supplements [as needed], Enzymedica gluten blocker [as needed], nicadan [not sure if it works yet]. I try to simplify as much as I can. Don't take more supplements than you need....try one at a time and be patient.

The supplements that really helped me when my acne was at its worst: inositol, DIM [not as frequently now!] digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips/ low acid [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3, superoxide dismutase (SOD) enzyme supplements. NOTE: I do not recommend DIM for long term use, and I do not recommend hormonal creams without doctor supervision.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: acupuncture, regular exercise/ yoga, low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials...

Grocery list:

** Find the cause, find the cure **

** If you have a question for me, please ask it publicly so that others can benefit from the discussion**

i have pictures here -

*pain*

Didi aap itni sad? aap toh meri idol ho when it comes to confidence smile.png. Yes,we all have bad times and they suck... But stressing over it would make things worse.Listen to "Dil hai chota sa,choti si asha song".(If you can understand hindi well).It will soothe you. Well,it soothes me.As far as sickness and loneliness is concerned ,we have a beautiful community here.I always talk to people here when i feel lonely.You do the same . Also talk to your friends and loved ones randomly on phone when you feel lonely.It really helps.

Cheer up di comfort.gif

my problem is i have frnds who are either too busy or just less interested.

i know sounds bad but i dnt blame them.

and its got nothing to do with acne or looks or anything!

its just that i have very very few frnds i trust and considering that i have less/no choice.

i am having really hard time personally and professionally.

plus this strange thing thats just happened last night.

screwed!

i am trying my best to not break down and i will keep trying until i succeed.

thank u for ur words bhai.

really means to me.

huge pores

indented scar

oils used for cooking

my balanced diet chart and skincare routine(medications taken & products used now)

I'm feeling awful today :( I'm about to start a new job in a cafe bar and I just can't bring myself to leave the house looking like this. Honestly, if there was some form of all over male foundation I could wear which would look natural, I'd go for it! It's ridiculous, I'm sitting here, almost late for work as it is, having a panic attack not wanting to leave, all because of my skin. I even got up 2 and a half hours before I need to leave the house, just so I could give my skin plenty of time to calm down beforehand. Why can't this acne battle be over?? Life used to be so much simpler :(

I'm feeling awful today sad.png I'm about to start a new job in a cafe bar and I just can't bring myself to leave the house looking like this. Honestly, if there was some form of all over male foundation I could wear which would look natural, I'd go for it! It's ridiculous, I'm sitting here, almost late for work as it is, having a panic attack not wanting to leave, all because of my skin. I even got up 2 and a half hours before I need to leave the house, just so I could give my skin plenty of time to calm down beforehand. Why can't this acne battle be over?? Life used to be so much simpler sad.png

I know some guys who wear mineral makeup and it looks natural. Maybe try to find the right shade for your skin tone and see if you can pull it off? If you pick a loose powder foundation that doesn't block your pores then it can actually help your skin heal. Find a brand with the fewest ingredients possible, for sensitive skin, and preferably with zinc oxide.

I saw that you use Burt's bees products....I tried them, but honestly they made my skin look worse. I now use mineral fusion, which is a more "natural" line than burt's bees, and I'm loving it. FYI I'm not a salesperson lol.

But really, don't sweat it that much. You have a job, that's the most important part. I know it's hard to work in a place where you have to interact with people all the time, but try not to stress about it too much as that can make the acne worse.

Current regimen: garlic supplements [as needed], Enzymedica gluten blocker [as needed], nicadan [not sure if it works yet]. I try to simplify as much as I can. Don't take more supplements than you need....try one at a time and be patient.

The supplements that really helped me when my acne was at its worst: inositol, DIM [not as frequently now!] digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips/ low acid [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3, superoxide dismutase (SOD) enzyme supplements. NOTE: I do not recommend DIM for long term use, and I do not recommend hormonal creams without doctor supervision.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: acupuncture, regular exercise/ yoga, low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials...

Grocery list:

** If you have a question for me, please ask it publicly so that others can benefit from the discussion**

I am back to my college today.Living with my mates in our new apartment now.While i miss my parents so much :( ,i have mixed feelings.I'm excited about my life here .A beginning of a new college year :) . Fortunately my friend had already set up the wi-fi here before i came.So i can still connect to my family here :)

Regarding acne.It's pretty good . Love ya people ::)

So the picked blackhead kind of turned into a zit so I popped it...I think I got everything out which hopefully means that stupid blackhead is finally gone!! Kind of messed up though that I had to scratch up my skin to get it out.... :/ Oh well. It's scabbed over now, which means it's healing, and in a few days the scab will fall off. I hope it looks better before I have to work again though cause I'd prefer to not have a scab at work! But whatever...the rest of my skin is looking really good. I'm excited to see the new derm in a few days who will hopefully get me started on a new treatment for my hormonal acne!

[CURRENT REGIMEN]

AM:

Apply Aczone (dapsone)

PM:

50 mg of Spironolactone

[CURRENT STATUS]
90% clear

its not just acne.

i think its contact dermititis and i am clueless why i would have it.for what allergen.

i cried.

a lot.

nothing is working it seems.

my personal life,professional life and now my right cheek is red,swollen and itchy.

i admit i felt suicidal after ages.

again.

huge pores

indented scar

oils used for cooking

its not just acne.

i think its contact dermititis and i am clueless why i would have it.for what allergen.

i cried.

a lot.

nothing is working it seems.

my personal life,professional life and now my right cheek is red,swollen and itchy.

i admit i felt suicidal after ages.

again.

Hang in there, don't give up! You are one of the most positive and helpful people on this forum, I'm sure you will beat this.

Crying and feeling depressed only make skin problems worse. Go outside, take a walk, watch a movie - anything to get your mind off the things that are making you sad.

Grocery list:

Today I got a couple of whiteheads (as per) and they've cleared up during the day. I'm kinda content with my skins current state. Yeah I break out, but the texture of my skin is really nice right now. The top part of my face looks like I never even had acne there, no more red marks! I still have my small pitted scars, but those aren't red or anything.

As I was writing this post, I felt my nose and I now have another little addition, but I'm sure it will be gone tomorrow! I hope so anyways, since I'm attending a wedding...

Hopefully I'll stop getting whiteheads eventually, they're nasty little blighters. I obviously cannot compare to cystic acne and I really do sympathise with those which have more severe cases.

So the picked blackhead kind of turned into a zit so I popped it...I think I got everything out which hopefully means that stupid blackhead is finally gone!! Kind of messed up though that I had to scratch up my skin to get it out.... :/ Oh well. It's scabbed over now, which means it's healing, and in a few days the scab will fall off. I hope it looks better before I have to work again though cause I'd prefer to not have a scab at work! But whatever...the rest of my skin is looking really good. I'm excited to see the new derm in a few days who will hopefully get me started on a new treatment for my hormonal acne!

Ugh that happens to me every time. There will be a big clogged pore that will last ages, it will finally come out (usually I have to get it out or it will just stay forever) and then the next day I get a big huge zit in the spot where it was.

My skin is doing okay. Mostly clear. The one big one I got from eating tons of potatoes is just a red mark now. No soreness anymore, so that's good.

I worked my last day cleaning today also! Woo hoo! No more getting up at 6am, no more having to stare in the mirror while I clean, nothing. I'm officially a working writer. smile.png

edit-- made another get ready with me video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jieT8YZLlMM&feature=youtu.be

And yeah I shaved part of my head! I always wanted to do that but I spent way too many years growing my hair super long--so I just shaved one side.

Edited by dejaclairevoyant
3 people like this

Current Skin-Care Regimen (A work in progress):

Morning:

Gentle wash with DKR cleanser

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil (The lotion alone wasn't hydrating enough)

Skin 79 Korean BB Cream (excellent stuff)

Evening:

Gentle Wash with DKR Cleanser

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil