Photo

Spiro 50 mg - My experience

hormonal spiro

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Nyxx

Nyxx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:33 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I've had acne for as long as I can remember, and I'm now 23. However, since I went off Yaz last January, it's been getting increasingly worse. At the same time, though, Yaz didn't completely solve the acne problem. It just made it so that I could manage it.

I've been on Spiro for two weeks, beginning November 5th and, true to most claims, it has made my hormonal acne worse so far. But I'm hoping that's just temporary. Before I went on it, I looked up a list of possible side effects, just to know what I was getting into (Yaz messed with my stomach pretty badly), and everything I read was entirely dependent on the person. Very few people had the same side effects, but these are the side effects I've experienced so far:

1). The first week, I was nauseous all the time, despite eating before taking the pill. On the couple days when I took the pill without eating, I vomited so I'll definitely be eating every time before I take it. However, now that I'm going on the third week, I'm not nauseous anymore.

2). Moodiness to the extreme. There are outside factors as to why I would be moody, i.e. sudden changes in my life that aren't particularly good, but I can tell that the Spiro is causing me to slip in and out of moods with the drop of a hat. I'll be really happy, almost manic, one moment, then I'll be in a depressive state for a few hours. It's incredibly frustrating and tiring. But this is something I heard that evens out after a while as my body adjusts to the medication.

3). My breasts are growing. Which is good and bad. They aren't just sore, they're incredibly painful to the touch, but I've noticed they're fuller and rounder. My boyfriend's happy about that.

4). Lack of sex drive. It's more difficult for me to "get in the mood," and I feel like I have to work harder to enjoy myself during sex. Boyfriend's not happy about that =\

That's all I can think of so far, but that's a lot in just two weeks time! I knew Spiro was something a person doesn't take lightly, but man, I've never gone through such a range of changes in such a short time. I just hope this clears my hormonal acne. I've tried so many things over the last 10 years that I've almost given up hope for a solution. I've wondered if I'll ever feel like a normal person. Even if the side effects get worse, and even if it takes three months to take effect, if this works, I'll be happy.

If anyone has anything to share about Spiro, I'd be happy to hear it. This is new to me, and I'd like to know what to expect.

#2 JanieRose

JanieRose

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 November 2009 - 01:02 AM

I had the same problems with mood swings. Fine one minute, crying the next over something inconsequential (my DVD player broke). By the 12th week they had evened out and I notice I am more calm than I've ever been.

Hang in there smile.gif

#3 beachfun

beachfun

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:22 AM

i am 25 and had breakouts on chin and cheeks and very oily skin. I went to numerous derm's and finally found one that prescribed Spiro. I have been on it for 4 months and yaz for almost 2 months. This combo is working great. My oil production has drastically reduced and my skin has been the best it has been in years. I highly recommend you staying with spiro because it can take anywhere from 3-6 to truly work. I haven't experienced any moodiness with this combo either. I also use prescription face wash, 6% benzo and use a retina topical - tretinion everynight. Maybe you should ask your derm about the facewash and topical.

#4 iceopal

iceopal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:15 PM

Sorry your going through this! I have had many of the same side effects except I never had the nausea for some reason..I'm on 100 mg. Ive been randomly crying..I burst out in tears at church the other day for literally no reason. It was very embarrasing, although maybe people just thought I was moved by the sermon! haha. I also have had ridiculously wacky periods and spotting. It seems like I bleed a little every week on top of having 2 periods a month!! This is by far the worst of side effects although its all linked..that must be why I'm emotional all the time. PLUS after being on it 2 1/2 months it is still giving me a very bad initial breakout..my chins covered in zits and I have a few painful cysts. I just keep telling myself to get to the other side of all this. I think everything evens out after like 3-4 months on spiro. Its just VERY rocky at first! Hang in there! nod.gif

#5 Innermind

Innermind

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE (beachfun @ Nov 22 2009, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i am 25 and had breakouts on chin and cheeks and very oily skin. I went to numerous derm's and finally found one that prescribed Spiro. I have been on it for 4 months and yaz for almost 2 months. This combo is working great. My oil production has drastically reduced and my skin has been the best it has been in years. I highly recommend you staying with spiro because it can take anywhere from 3-6 to truly work. I haven't experienced any moodiness with this combo either. I also use prescription face wash, 6% benzo and use a retina topical - tretinion everynight. Maybe you should ask your derm about the facewash and topical.

Yaz AND spiro, wow. You need to fire that doctor, he dosent care about your health. Thats one hell of a combo, and I pray for your heart. I would reccomend getting off yaz. Spiro, okay, but YAZ, please dont stay on that. Find another birth control, talk to your doctor. Alot of controversy surronding yaz. Its bad.

#6 Boston50

Boston50

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE (Innermind @ Nov 27 2009, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (beachfun @ Nov 22 2009, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yaz AND spiro, wow. You need to fire that doctor, he dosent care about your health. Thats one hell of a combo, and I pray for your heart. I would reccomend getting off yaz. Spiro, okay, but YAZ, please dont stay on that. Find another birth control, talk to your doctor. Alot of controversy surronding yaz. Its bad.

The biggest difference between Yaz and other birth control pills is that Yaz has drosperinone (sp?) in it. No other birth control pill besides Yasmin has that. Dros is very similar to spironolactone in that it's a potassium sparing diuretic. So if Yaz is bad, then spiro is bad too I would think. As long as potassium levels are monitored, there should be no problems.

#7 smk28

smk28

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:23 AM

My derm actually recommends using both Yasmin and spiro. She said Yasmin contains a small amount of what is the equiv. of a small dose of spiro. While both yaz and spiro CAN be dangerous to persons who health contraindicates it, it is safe for many people. That being said, I would get a blood test after starting spiro as the doctor recommends.

#8 Nyxx

Nyxx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:20 PM

UPDATE - Been on Spiro for 1 1/2 months

Ok, for anyone who's following along, my experience with Spiro has changed dramatically since I first started taking it.

1. No more mood swings. My emotions seem to have evened out for the most part. Of course, other problems have been interfering and causing their own issues, so it's hard to say what, exactly, I can contribute to Spiro.

2. No more nausea! Man, was that a relief. The day I took a pill and didn't want to hurl was a glorious one. Also, my appetite has returned slightly. I'm not sure if that's just because I'm getting used to not eating much or if I really am adjusting to the meds. Either way, I feel better.

3. My acne is beginning to get better (that's the whole point, right?!). Not sure if I can contribute it all to the Spiro, but it's certainly helped in many ways, such as greatly decreasing oil production. Now it's just the sides of my nose and my forehead that get slightly greasy. We'll see if it gets any better in a month or so.

4. My sex drive has returned to almost normal. In fact in most ways, I feel the same as I did before I went on the meds.

5. The first few weeks, I suffered from terrible insomnia. Though this is a problem with me anyway, due to stress-related factors, it was nearly impossible to sleep, despite taking sleep aids. That problem has improved.

Another thing that greatly surprised me (and I hope I don't jinx it by saying it) was that Spiro didn't effect my stomach like I thought it would. It caused nausea, sure, but that was short-lived. When I was on Yaz, I had incredible sensitivity to food. I couldn't eat anything spicy, acidic, or containing lactose without making an emergency run to the bathroom for the next 45 minutes. That was actually one of the reasons I stopped taking it. I was restricted to eating white bread and water if I wanted to avoid painful stomach cramps and everything that goes along with it. With Yaz, that was a late-onset symptom (6-9 months in?), so it may still be possible with Spiro, but not yet.

Anyway, just wanted everyone to know that I'm still plugging away at this and it seems to be helping. I just hope it keeps improving. I'll update again in a month or so.

#9 Shells82

Shells82

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:31 PM

Nyxx what dose are you on? I think we've been on the drug for almost the same amount of time..and I am nearly clear!! I was on 50mg but didn't see great results..so I bumped to 100mg a few weeks ago..maybe even almost a month. SO I am curious as to what dose you are on?

Wohh I feel blonde the name of the thread is 50mg.hahhahah maybe you should look into getting it bumped up to 100??

#10 Nyxx

Nyxx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (Shells82 @ Dec 18 2009, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nyxx what dose are you on? I think we've been on the drug for almost the same amount of time..and I am nearly clear!! I was on 50mg but didn't see great results..so I bumped to 100mg a few weeks ago..maybe even almost a month. SO I am curious as to what dose you are on?

Wohh I feel blonde the name of the thread is 50mg.hahhahah maybe you should look into getting it bumped up to 100??

Actually Shells, I just increased my dosage to 75 mg a day because I felt like it wasn't doing enough for me. And now that most of the side effects have subdued, I felt like it wouldn't affect me physically. I think I'll see how that goes and bump it to 100 mg if I need to. I don't want to take too high of a dosage right away.

This is actually related to the reason why I logged in: I increased my dosage to 75 mg a few days ago and yesterday I noticed I was spotting, which never happens to me. My period isn't for another week and a half, so it has me concerned. Has anyone had this problem while on Spiro? I'm thinking the increase in dosage, however minimal, somehow contributed.

#11 Shells82

Shells82

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:42 PM

Nyxx it has not affected my cycle but I did see from others and the review page that is has affected many women's cycles. It seems that for many the problem worked itself out after some time while others opted to be put on BC in order to stay regular. I even remember one person posting that they were going to ask their gyno if it was ok to not have periods at all LOL... If I was in that position I might ask too!! and just keep it that way hahahha good luck to you! How are things going by the way?

#12 smk28

smk28

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:51 PM

Nyxx, I hope things are going well for you! I've heard a lot of people on spiro and not on BC spot. I hope it goes away for you!

#13 Shells82

Shells82

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:11 AM

Nyxx how is everything looking these days!?