Acne and Hormones

6 replies to this topic

#1 mindeec

mindeec

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2004 - 01:15 AM

So this post is mainly directed towards women, although it may have some relevance for the guys, who knows?

To be blunt, every time "that time of month" came around I used to break out. The week ends, the breakout goes away.

I've recently been experiencing pretty nasty breakouts all the time... Thought it was from stress (now I know that's a myth), but my stressful job ended and the acne stayed. The only other thing that changed drastically was I started on a new birth control medication.

Again, to be blunt, I've tried other oral contraceptives - some make me gain a lot of weight, some give me dramatic mood swings...this one made me break out. Having had such problems with the OTHER two issues, I'm sticking with the current prescription and fighting with the acne. Stupid hormones.

I have a women's herb book that recommends a few holistic pastes if anyone's interested, but the one I've really been using (and the ONLY one they recommended for dealing with hormonally-induced acne) is an herb known as Chasteberry or Vitex. It's also available at drugstore.com and is pretty reasonably priced. It's helped a bit, but everything relating to acne that helps is good in my book.

My doctor also put me on Tretinoin and Benzamycin, but I'm still breaking out, plus my skin's flaking off and turning red and it's been a couple of weeks. I stumbled on Dan's regimen today and immediately went out and bought some of the recommended products. I have a good feeling about it... :pray: Letting the prescriptions alone for a bit.

As I'm turning 30 this week I thought I was done with acne...guess not. A friend of my Mom's JUST started breaking out and she's almost 50. You never know...

Thanks Dan,

Mindee smile.gif

#2 TOGirl75

TOGirl75

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2004 - 08:06 AM

Taking Evening Primrose Oil capsules took care of my hormonal acne IMMENSELY. I'd say I received at least an 80% improvement.
I've also read that Borage Oil is even better.

#3 mindeec

mindeec

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2004 - 09:39 AM

Thanks, I'll give that a try!

-Mindee

#4 mischief2

mischief2

miss kitty fantastico

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 July 2004 - 03:40 AM

QUOTE(TOGirl75 @ Jul 2 2004, 06:53 AM)
Taking Evening Primrose Oil capsules took care of my hormonal acne IMMENSELY.  I'd say I received at least an 80% improvement.
I've also read that Borage Oil is even better.

I'm taking Evening Primrose Oil in gel cap form once a day but think I may increase. How many do you take?
"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly." - Sam Keen

#5 Guest_june_*

Guest_june_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 03 July 2004 - 07:06 AM

i use to take barleans evening primrose oil, but switched to barleans omega twin..a combination of borage oil and flax seed oil. 3000 mg everyday(1000 mg per capsule).

benefits of evening primrose oil and borage oil:

evening primrose oil

vs

borage oil

#6 TOGirl75

TOGirl75

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 July 2004 - 04:29 PM

I also just purchased Jamieson Omega 3-6-9 which contains borage oil, flax seed oil, and fish oils....also includes 50IU of Vitamin E. It seems that borage is more superior to Evening Primrose oil because it contains a higher percentage of GLA.

#7 mischief2

mischief2

miss kitty fantastico

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 July 2004 - 09:02 AM

Hmm... well, I just increased my evening primrose (they also contain vitamin E) capsules to 3 a day and will see how that goes... but I am definately considering taking borage oil in a combination capsule like that.
"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly." - Sam Keen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users