Photo

dermarolling/why use a numbing cream?

co2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 adella

adella

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:21 AM

I have had a 2.mm professional rolling treatment, results were a huge infection/breakout. Anyway, I have a 1.5mm I got online, and have used it just now.

I really want to know WHY people need a numbing cream? Maybe I have no nerves left in my face? Ive had alot of procedures...

Does it REALLY hurt, or is it in the mind? I just did a light roll and it didnt hurt at all, it stings a bit, but thats all.

I honestly dont think the sensation is PAINFUL. It feels like exactly what it is. Im saving money smile.gif dont need numbing creams!

Just wondering am I a freak?? I really DO think ive had damage to the nerves, when I had Co2 full face.
Health Happiness and Healing for all :)

#2 Sign

Sign

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:09 AM

You're face is made of concrete eusa_hand.gif
jk our skins all have different sensitivity but the 1.5mm doesn't really hurt. it's only a light sting, but the idea of sticking needles in our face makes it sound a lot more painful.

#3 o_Adam_o

o_Adam_o

riding the scars bandwagon for far to long

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 75
About Me

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:16 AM

im guessing its just in case the needles went deeper and then would cause more pain or something like that.!

#4 adella

adella

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:27 AM

I have to say, that my 'professional' treatment hurt like hell compared to a 10 minute rolling session earlier tonight smile.gif

I DO think that alot of the pain factor, IS IN THE MIND. After all, a roller isnt exactly pretty!! barbaric looking thing, a friend saw mine, and flipped, they couldnt believe what I was doing, they got quite upset with me....they have perfect skin. lol

Once your face has been burnt(laser), and injected(isolagen, botox), scrubbed,(peels) and needled,(2.mm doctor job 1 hr solid needling, bleed so much even I was speechless) mybe theres just no feeling left.

The numbing cream I used at the derm was high quality medical stuff, but its affects wore off quickly.

I use a .2mm a few times a week for product absorbtion, and a little extra help, using that was uncomfortable at first, id hold my breathe, and it made me get red lines... but now, it tickles lol, maybe thats why using the 1.5mm is a BREEZE!!

I also do very strong peels regularly, and thats alot more uncomfortable than rolling was tonight.

So Theres food for thought everyone.....use a tiny roller daily, and when you use the big guns, you cant feel any pain, just tiny stingy sensations.

#5 scoobie_do

scoobie_do

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:30 AM

For me the pain is extreme. Im guessing its because I had dermabrasion on my
face. I rolled both my hands and almost laughed because it didn't hurt at all.
Pain for me will be component to deal with. Wish it wasn't so.

Something you mentioned in another post adella. You were .2mm rolling every
other day. In Fernandez's studies/articles he never mentions anything smaller
than a 1mm. He also outlines the 3 phase response to rolling:

Phase I: inflammation, which starts immediately
after the injury
Phase II: proliferation (tissue formation), which
starts after about 5 days and lasts about 8 weeks
Phase III: tissue remodeling, from 8 weeks to
about 1 year

The inflamation phase from the initial roll (with a 1mm or larger roller) lasts
about 5 days. Then you want to calm the skin beginning in phase 2.
The majority of the rolling cycle you want calm, uninflammed skin.

Isn't rolling with a .2mm casusing an extended inflamation phase which, in
the long run might prove counterproductive to the process??

#6 adella

adella

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:04 AM

If you read enough, your head will SPIN. Theres ALOT of conflicting advise.

The roller I use often, is TINY. Its the clearskincare hair and scalp roller. It does not draw blood and is very shallow. 1mm is alot bigger than .2mm.

The maker of the roller suggest I use it often, even daily, she says it helps with the scar tissue, helps the skin get used to rolling, and helps product absorbtion.

The 1.5 roller, I plan to use once every 40 days. 40 days is the turn around time for skin remodelling. Thats the roller that causes the deeper damage, and hopefully collagen production to fill in deeper scars...eventually. To use a deep roller more often than each 40 days, is not reccomended...by anyone.

Im sorry you feel pain with the roller. That must make things quite difficult. Use LOTS of numbing cream then....I DO believe the pain factor lessens, so im sure with each roll you will become more used to the sensation.

#7 lamarr1986

lamarr1986

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:24 AM

Been rolling for about 3 years now, the pain never gets any less. Most people NEED the numbing cream to do the procedure PROPERLY. People often don't realise the amount of pressure you need to make sure the penetration goes to the right depth.

Have said that Dr Chu told me this (bare in mind he has treated thousends of people with dermaroller) women sometimes actually have no problem with the pain and find it quite bearable, most still need the numbing cream though. He is yet to meet a man who doesn't find it atleast painfull.

For me the pain is absolutely terrible and i have broken my arms, hip, knuckle, toe. I have what i would consider a high pain threshold.... but it is so so painfull for me and never gets any better.

Maybe older people have less/less sensitive nerves as they begin to age (that isn't a dig btw i don't know how old any of you are).

#8 scoobie_do

scoobie_do

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (lamarr1986 @ Nov 5 2009, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Been rolling for about 3 years now, the pain never gets any less. Most people NEED the numbing cream to do the procedure PROPERLY. People often don't realise the amount of pressure you need to make sure the penetration goes to the right depth.

Have said that Dr Chu told me this (bare in mind he has treated thousends of people with dermaroller) women sometimes actually have no problem with the pain and find it quite bearable, most still need the numbing cream though. He is yet to meet a man who doesn't find it atleast painfull.

For me the pain is absolutely terrible and i have broken my arms, hip, knuckle, toe. I have what i would consider a high pain threshold.... but it is so so painfull for me and never gets any better.

Maybe older people have less/less sensitive nerves as they begin to age (that isn't a dig btw i don't know how old any of you are).

i'm in tears............ I just turned 95

#9 lamarr1986

lamarr1986

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:49 AM

haha tongue.gif

#10 Littlehelp

Littlehelp

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:54 AM

You can buy Maintain Topical Anesthetic. It will numb your skin real good u won't feel pain at all. Just apply on and wait for 15 min then u can use dermarolling.

http://www.rejuvasta...m/skincare.html
Derma Stamp 1 - 1.5mm for scar

Avalon Organics Vitnamin C Serum

#11 adella

adella

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:12 AM

Im really surprised to hear it can hurt some people so much. Im especially surprised to hear that the pain factor hasnt lessened over time..

Lamarr why are you still rolling? I recall seeing a photo of you and thinking your skin looked fantastic.

It would make rolling quite difficult, if it caused real PAIN. Not sure I would even want to do it if I couldnt handle the pain.

I dont know how or why it doesnt hurt for me- I have heard women have a higher pain resistance than men....but in general I think I have a high pain threshold.

I could have rolled for longer- no problems, But I felt id done enough. I wish I could do it more often. I even pressed quite hard, because I couldnt FEEL the needles pierce the skin...I had to check they were.... eusa_whistle.gif The peel id done was more painful than needling.

I also cannot feel a THING when I use the diabetic needle to individualy needle scars... eusa_think.gif

When the derm did me, she did remark that I was a perfect patient for needling, she said others were jumping off the bed with pain while I was just chatting away not bothered by it at all.

Im going to consider myself VERY lucky.

#12 Scars4Life

Scars4Life

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:56 AM

I used 2.5mm, I didn't even consider applying numbing cream because I had this whole 'be a man' thing going. But once I used the roller I was surprised people actually went through the trouble of getting the numbing cream. Like come on it stings a little you know, kind of uncomfortable, but its not something to be going for numbing cream.

Btw all that damned roller did was cause me break outs and I noticed it left some holes on the face, that were suppose to "close" after a few minutes.

If you were scar free would you ever consider rolling needles on your face? I don't think so.

If you have fresh patches of skin don't ruin it with this!

Bye bye.
Hey, it's Scars4Life

#13 adella

adella

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:42 AM

I hear you scars4Life...I had it done by a derm a year ago, and had a breakout like nothing id seen before... it looked like an infection.

2.5 is a BIG one for at home- but I also feel that all the fuss of using a numbing cream is not worth it.

For me it stings a little AFTER rolling, not during.

Im giving the roller another go, but I prefer individual needing, I have a few small scars that are filling in from needling with a VERY fine diabetic needle.

#14 Xandrine

Xandrine

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:29 AM

They use topical anesthetics or numbing creams because their pain threshhold is not the same as yours. Your cutaneous nociceptors (skin pain receptors) have a higher threshhold apparently. =)

#15 adella

adella

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:08 AM

Thanks X

You seem to know your stuff. Are you in medicine?

WHY would my pain receptors be ummm pretty much NON EXISTANT??

Could it be laser (badly burned) that caused it?

I am now calling myself 'numbface.'

Oh PLUS- I have a question Re dermaroller, you might be able to give an informed opinion....

Ive read some people have used a 1.5 more regulary than once a month. Would this be okay to do? I know healing takes time, BUT I dont see how messing things up again can hurt.

I have been told by a derm that skin has a 'memory' and can re form scars, rather than heal properly, and so messing up the skin confuses the memory allowing for better healing...??
Remember I said a derm told me this....I didnt make it up!

Thanks

#16 Xandrine

Xandrine

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:12 AM

I'm not a doctor=). But I did finished the most basic Anatomy and Physiology subject offered for the course I took. I don't recall much of them now actually, they were about 8 years ago (so you still need to rely on the people who diagnose and those with the MD's ID).

I am sure your pain receptors are existent (otherwise you could have died already, because pain serves as warning signs for us) It really differs for a lot of people at any given specific time. Here's a link which can help you understand pain threshhold: http://en.wikipedia....reshold_of_pain

and an additional link to help you differentiate it with pain tolerance: http://wiki.answers...._Pain_Tolerance

On dermrolling, I'm a virgin on that therapy, I only encountered it here, so I only have the slightest knowledge (just the basic definition and its mechanism)

And about your last paragraph on the skin memory. I personally think they do have it. A perfect example would be when our body develop active immunity (either by vaccine or a disease we previously contracted ). So the next time the body encounters the same antigen (stimulus) it now has been programmed (here comes the memory) that it's a foreign body, so it fights the antigen. Messing up the memories can be used for therapy I guess, you can see this with how they medicate transplant patients (they give anti-rejection drugs so the antibodies doesn't fight off the "foreign body" that was transplanted. Sorry, I navigated away from the topic, I was siting an example on how our natural antibodies or memories can be duped) so yes, I believe you that your derm really did say that=))

#17 adella

adella

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:36 AM

Thanks X-

Your opinion is of much value, I am doing something a little different with rolling more frequently than every 40 days. This is because of the skin memory thing, my derm was speaking of doing this before I had an infection....

that experience scared me away from rolling again until I discovered a great product combination, and now im doing self needling, and rolling. For however long it takes...

Thanks X I will ask you any medical type questions I have smile.gif

Your a gem! eusa_dance.gif

#18 Xandrine

Xandrine

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:56 AM

QUOTE (adella @ Nov 8 2009, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks X-

Your opinion is of much value, I am doing something a little different with rolling more frequently than every 40 days. This is because of the skin memory thing, my derm was speaking of doing this before I had an infection....

that experience scared me away from rolling again until I discovered a great product combination, and now im doing self needling, and rolling. For however long it takes...

Thanks X I will ask you any medical type questions I have smile.gif

Your a gem! eusa_dance.gif

YW=), glad to offer my limited answer! TC=)

#19 lamarr1986

lamarr1986

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (adella @ Nov 6 2009, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im really surprised to hear it can hurt some people so much. Im especially surprised to hear that the pain factor hasnt lessened over time..

Lamarr why are you still rolling? I recall seeing a photo of you and thinking your skin looked fantastic.

I haven't rolled in nearly a year tbh i probably should of been clearer, last time i did it was xmas eve haha. Can anyone say rosey cheeks for xmas day?!!

Edited by lamarr1986, 10 November 2009 - 11:55 AM.