Photo

Isotrexin

retinoids

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#21 Grogula

Grogula

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 14 August 2004 - 07:37 AM

Im guessing Isotrexin is the same as Isotrex (just a cultural branding thing, i'm in the uk).

I have been using it for about 2 weeks on my moderately severe acne and found that whilst it may be clearing my face of spots, as i have had loads its making them all hard and dry and they flake off, having the new skin then absorbs the isotrex and becomes flaky, at this moment my whole face is red when i use isotrex and most of where my spots have been concentrated is continuously shedding skin and drying, it makes it difficult to open my mouth cos all my skin goes tight and it hurts. Moisteueriser doesnt work, does nothing but stings and makes my skin more dry (EVEN hypo-allergenic ones!!).

Has anyone had similar experiences, or is just because my acne is so severe that the isotrex is having a much tougher time worker on my skin. You may say im using too much, maybe I am but by still using it my skin isn't going to smooth over. I long for a day when i can smile or speak without my skin hurting and without hundreds of black and white heads, not to mention the big dirty pustules!!

I've tried pretty much everything bar accutane, which i dont want to use. And in response to the guy's opening post, isotrex is the same as accutane. If you were to open an accutane capsules, the stuff that comes out is exactly the same clear yellow liquid you put on your face in the form of isotrex!!!

Anyway, i hope this flaking and dry skin is going to die down soon, its been couple months since i had smooth skin (not clear, and with bumps...but still smooth), imagine how lucky you are that it doesnt hurt you to move any of your facial muscles!!!!

And yes I know its severe, and your probably gunna suggest to go see doc, but that really doesnt help, i know a hell of a lot about acne (seems as though im studying acne in my post-graduate course), and therefor the derm or doc isnt much help to me. PLus i believe i have resistant p-acnes which is im fucked till they come out with this stem cell, or bacteriophage things. Which is about three years off!

God if only i had smooth skin, at the mo i dont care about spots, i;ve gone beyond that, its like i have psoriasis and acne now!!! god what a great combination to have!!!

#22 Jonesy

Jonesy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 August 2004 - 01:35 PM

For a start, I'm in the UK too, I"m English, and apparently isotrexin and isotrex are not the same thing, they are very similar though obviously. If you read the thread thoroughly, then you will realise that no one was saying that they aren't the same drug, they are both isotretinoin and we realise that, but oral isotretinoin works from the inside, topical isotretinoin works from the outside (obviously) and therefore they cannot work in the same way. No topical is as effective at treating acne as accutane, even if the active ingredient is the same as accutane. Do you think derms would put thousands of people a year on accutane if they could simply use topical isotrex/isotrexin which carries none of the potentially harmful side-effects of the oral version? Course not, they are both isotretinoin drugs, but it doesn't mean they are equally effective. I have been on accutane myself and am talking from experience.

In terms of isotrexin dryness, it shouldn't be a problem if you're doing it correctly. For a start if you use way too much then that's clearly why. You say that people might advise that you are, well yes, if you are using too much of the stuff what do you think is going to happen? It's damn drying stuff, you don't need much. Even with a small amount I find that if I don't moisturise within 10 minutes of application, then it starts to flake and the film peels off. You will obviously know this sttuff dries basically in seconds. I put it on, and then use nivea for men oil contro moisturiser, applying as little pressure as possible otherwise it balls up with the isotrexin and it peels off anyway, after literally a couple of minutes until my skin doesn't feel tight. If I didn't moisturise, my skin would feel tight and I couldn't open my mouth either, that's the nature of the beast. If your skin is stinging you need to use less of the stuff- used correctly (ie. not too much) and with moisturisation, your skin should not sting. Personally I am just using it to keep mild acne under control, which it does fine, I would never have used it when I had my severe cystic stuff though, IMO it's not appropriate for shifting really bad stuff. You have obviously decided against accutane so won't let anything change you, but honestly, I was wary about going on it, but for the sake of 4 months or so, your life could change beyond measure. Mine did.

BTW, be especially light with the isotrexin on areas where you have spots that have recently dried up and come off, because the skin is 'new' and won't take kindly to isotrexin. You only need a tiny bit.

#23 sophia_

sophia_

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2004 - 09:23 AM

still improving...........
my skin is getting better by the day and all i seem to have is red marks left over. i feel so much more confident. i hope it is gunne atick. its actually wuite handy having this thread as i can chart where i came from!
that is good that dr chu said that we can be on it indefinitely. he is my derm too. now i am due for another n-lite soon, but i think i am going to hold off and see whether the isotrex will do the job on its own. what do you guys think? i mean , i will be saving myself 90 quid a laser treatment and am wondering whether i can do without it. krysuk r u having any other treatments at hammersmith hospital?
x
my skin doesnt seem to dry out as much as you guys. i mean to begin with kinda, but i dont moisturise or anything afterwards, i just leave it on its own. jonesy i am glad it is working out for you!

#24 Jonesy

Jonesy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2004 - 01:17 PM

Thanks, you too! This stuff really seems to do a decent job, touch wood! . Keep us posted! I was given 3 30ml tubes which was meant to last 4 months, but there's no way I'll get through it in 4 months using the suggested amount. I reckon it'll last me way longer than that, and as of now at least I am happy to keep using it indefinitely.

#25 persephone

persephone

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2004 - 01:31 PM

After reading this thread I'm tempted to give my old tube of Isotrexin another go!

Sophia, Dr Chu is my dermatologist as well and he also suggested N-Lite and isotrexin however after having such a good response to Roaccutane I decided to stay on my own low dose course until I next see him. I'm slightly skeptical of N-lite, have you had a good response to it so far?

#26 sophia_

sophia_

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2004 - 09:44 AM

hi, guys, back for another update!!
my skin is pretty much near clear - i have two tiny ones (down to the monthly thing i am sure), i can honestly say that i haven't had a zit that needed to be squeezed for about a month!!! wow - usually i would have 4 or 5 a day!! it is nice getting up in the morning and not worrying about what may have erupted in the nite!! so, i am still saying i need another month to give a proper opinion, but for now and for a while recently it has been looking good!! isotrex seems to take well to my skin, i think the reason i havent suffered so much for the redness and flakiness is because my skin isn't really ever dry anyways, and i dont need to moisturise all that much. i take after my dad like that! i use about a pea and a half sized amount for my face and the same amount for the top of my back. ah, i forgot my back is completely clearnow - but was never really really bad.
i have held off n-lite treatment this month, to see if i can do without it. if the cream continues to work then i may not have anymore nlite's. i am a bit skeptical, but i can not say whether it helped initially. its all a waiting thing and i will see in a while. but at 90 a treatment if i can do without then i will!! the thing is - coz my back is fine now and i only had nlite on my face, i am thinking the cream has more of an effect!
i did a show back in june - when my skin was pretty bad - each cheek so bumpy! i have it on video - and in some bits where the light hits me my skin looks awful (luckely the audience would never see this close up)! anyways, i am kindof glad that i can compare then to now!!
how r u getting on?
if u r thinking about isotrex - give it a go!! it is helping me big time!
x

#27 Grogula

Grogula

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 28 August 2004 - 12:42 PM

Ive bin on isotrex about three weeks now, it makes my skin dry so ive stopped using twice a day now, only once when go to bed. i use only a pea sized amount. It doesnt seem to prevent any spots appearing yet, still gettin a good ten or so every morning and the blemishes that have been left behind over years of acne, dont seem to be reducing much more than they normally do. Hmmm still sceptical about whether its working but i guess im not meant to see any improvements in such a short space of time, guess ill see over the next 4 weeks

#28 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2004 - 02:02 PM

Isotrex was not approved by the FDA for use in the united states for a reason: Tazorac and Retin-a micro are simply superior to isotrex. They're all retinoids and have the same mode of action, yet isotrex is the least effective of the three.

#29 Dublin22

Dublin22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 October 2005 - 05:21 PM

Hi. I noticed on a thread that you used Aknemycin. I have 5 days of Accutane left and saw my derm today and complained about scarring. He said that what I have are not scars, that they are post inflamation and gave me two topicals (Locoid Lipocream) and Aknemycin. He said the Aknemycin would heal any of the spots that look like scars and calm the redness. When I googles the medication when I got home I noticed that it was more about curing acne then helping scars...in fact, I didn't se anything about it heling scars. I will not be purchasing the medicine until Monday and am very interested in how it made you scar. I'm afraid that with my sensitive skin from Accutane it might make me scar---when really, my doctor said it is supposed to heal them. I'm confused. Please help. thanks so much.

#30 fel_han

fel_han

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:03 PM

I have got a question. Do i apply isotrexin before or after moisturiser??