Photo

wanted to share my "discoveries"

oily skin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 coventry

coventry

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2004 - 02:22 PM

hello, i just came across this site today and read some of the different threads and wanted to contribute some things i discovered about myself. i realize that everyone's tolerance for different foods and such are different, but I felt that i have gone through enough that i wanted to share this with everyone so they could use the information how they saw fit. I don't wish for this thread to become an argument - this is what happens to me, and if it doesn't happen to you, i consider you lucky!

well, right now, i'm a 24 year old male, and have actually been on accutane for two "cycles" when I was about 16 and 18. (The first cycle cleared me but the acne came back later.) Now, I am generally ok, but i have very oily skin. I use a cleanser and gel called Triaz which is Benzoyl Peroxide based. this keeps my skin relatively dry. (I much more prefer my skin to be dry and flaking than oily just because it reduces the chance of breakouts). I also have 8% Brevoxyl handy in case I get any big acne attacks. (these big acne attacks happen when i try eating something new generally and i wasn't aware that it would cause a breakout.)

i get acne generally around my face and my neck (big ones on my neck take forever to heal ARGH).

Well, this is what I have learned so far - and although there is a constant debate about what can cause and what doesn't cause acne, I have been testing these things for myself for a few years now and I have somewhat come to some conclusions.

1. Masturbation causes acne for me if I do it often. I realized that if I did it maybe once every two weeks, I was fine, but if did it more frequently, like even once a week, I would get pretty big, hard, red boils that would last for long periods of time.

2. Different type of cheeses will cause me to break out. I haven't ascertained exactly which ones, so I just avoid all cheeses in general. I definitely know that if I have anything with melted cheese on it where I can see the oil (i.e. pizza) it's totally over for my face when I consume it.

3. Shrimp and other shellfish cause me to breakout somewhat massively as well. I actually never knew this until my dermatologist mentioned that although there is no fact that food causes acne, some people had expressed that iodine causes acne for them. He mentioned that shrimp and shellfish get a lot of iodine buildup from the saltwater. Also, I have switched to non-iodine salt, because i think salty foods i buy that i don't prepare myself most likely use iodinized salt.

4. steak causes me to break out also. hamburgers to a degree cause acne for me as well, so i avoid all red meat in general. i enjoy turkeyburgers though without getting any breakouts. i think it has to do with the high amount of iron that is found in red meat.

5. chocolate causes me to breakout with smaller whiteheads, but not the big headless red painful ones that appear when i do anything in 1-4.

6. caffeine would cause me to breakout when i was young, so i still avoid any caffeine based sodas, coffee, or tea until today. i haven't tested this recently, but i avoid it regardless.

7. lifting weights. if i lift weights that are moderate - i.e. are not at my limit, i don't break out, but if i go as hard as i can, i tend to break out. i think it has to do with maybe the stress i put on my face when trying to push myself for a few repetitions, but i have since stopped "maxing" my lifting for this reason.

??
these things i haven't fully tested, but i think may cause me to break out so i avoid them

1. nuts of any sort - although they are healthy and high in protein, i fear it may be the oiliness of these nuts that cause me to break out. i also think that it could be the salt used with the nuts that contains iodine. i don't wish to find out though - i'd rather avoid getting acne if possible.

2. caramel color - i am not sure about this, but i tested this when i was in college. if i have sodas like sprite or 7-up i'm fine, but if i have something like pepsi i get acne. therefore, i tried caffeine-free pepsi, and surprisingly, i still got some acne. this only happened once or twice, so my tests are still inconclusive but i avoid it anyway.

3. salmon - although very healthy, i think its oiliness may be causing me acne. i have instead switched to baked tilapia, which works, and go for tuna sushi instead of the salmon.

4. sesame seeds - i think these may also cause me acne, so i try to get sushi rolls that do not have sesame seeds on them.

anyway, i think there are more little things here and there that i probably cannot remember right now, but i just wanted to contribute so that if any of you feel that certain foods may be causing you to break out, you may be in the same boat as me!

#2 -Misfits-

-Misfits-

Bring Out Your Dead

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2004 - 02:57 PM

Wow...you cant eat anything can you? Nice little tips in there. Good job.
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]
Fist in the air, in the land of hypocrisy...

#3 Pakaback

Pakaback

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2004 - 03:20 PM

I think you should try something other than diet... you can't live life avoiding these things.

#4 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2004 - 05:09 PM

You think masturbation causes it? So do you also abstain from sex?

#5 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2004 - 05:31 PM

Good grief. The only way masturbation can give acne is if you do the act
and then rub your hands all over your face or seriously over-exert
yourself and cause a release of adrenal hormones.

Very very unlikely. Weightlifting? Huh? I hate to be critical
but it sounds like many of these were mere coincidence
before you judge me take a look at you
can't you find something better to do
point the finger, slow to understand
arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand

- Metallica, "holier than thou"

#6 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2004 - 06:46 PM

you seem to be avoiding oils, including the healthy ones.

nuts and fish are great sources of healthy fats, which are essential to a healthy diet.

#7 Lumas

Lumas

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2004 - 08:04 PM

You say iodine in shrimp breaks you out, but i guess you didnt know that turkey also contains alot of iodine. So please dont say iodone breaks you out.

#8 ano

ano

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2004 - 08:26 PM

Listen, people who say male over-masturbation is 100% safe.

Stop telling your stupid unproved theory on male masturbation (I don't know about female masturbation - it's a compeltely different mechanism).

Do you think there has been any research on effects of OVER-masturbation in long-term?

NO!

I've read a recent research on over-masturbation, and it turns out that it actually DOES cause acne, especially on neck area and lower cheeks. If you believe 100% of what western medicine doctors say, well, then go ahead. If you trust your doctors that much, why aren't you seeing your dermatologist and clear up your acne completely and stop coming to this forum site?

Not all doctors agree with 100% safety from masturbation, btw.

Check herballove.com, for example.

Do you need scientific theoreis? There are tones of it. Well, search it from a search engine yourself.

Everytime you ejaculate the filters in kidney are slightly destroyed <- a recent study show that this is a FACT! Doctors would say it will be recovered eventually, but if you OVER-masturbate bad things will happen like acne. I don't want to go thru all the details here to argue about it. None of you has any accurate knowledge on this issue unless you have done any research on this kind of stuff yourself. So, stop telling people that there is no such thing as over-masturbation or they are all myths (there are many myths about masturbation, but that doesn't tell that masturbation is completely harmless).

Also, Eastern medicine is against masturbation with their own reasons. Kidney or liver cleanings using salts or herbs or whatever are from Eastern medicine. Why do you believe in those cleaning stuff while you don't believe in harmness of masturbation, huh? They all came from Eastern medicine. Tell you doctor about kidney or liver cleanings to clear acne from your face. They would laugh!

Anyway, whether you masturbate everyday or not is your choice....enjoy your pleasure.

Btw, I'm not saying that over-masturbation is a sole cause of acne, but I'm just saying that it could be one of them. I'm sick and tired of people saying masturbation is 100% harmless. Go...Go...jack off.

#9 Pakaback

Pakaback

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2004 - 08:46 PM

Either masturbation AND sex are bad, or neither of them are. That's my only assertion. If you think the body knows the difference... it doesn't.

#10 Makaveli

Makaveli

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2004 - 09:04 PM

Umm, just a question, but how did you come to all these conclusions? How long of a time did you eat Shrimp/Nuts/Masturbate/Workout to come to these conclusions? You mentioned that you had bad acne when you were 16 and 18, but now it is pretty good.. Well that could just be due to puberty and your hormones at that time. (just a thought though, not tryin to knock ur theory cuz there are things that aid acne)... Also, if you ate shrimp, or worked out, or masturbated, and got a pimple the next day, then none of these things attribute to your acne. A pimple forms under the skin initially, and takes (in most cases) a couple weeks to sprout... Anyways, if you got clear by avoiding all this, then :thumbup:, but couldn't it have just been time and the accutane?

#11 Makaveli

Makaveli

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2004 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE(ano @ Jul 1 2004, 07:13 PM)
Listen, people who say male over-masturbation is 100% safe.

Stop telling your stupid unproved theory on male masturbation (I don't know about female masturbation - it's a compeltely different mechanism).

Do you think there has been any research on effects of OVER-masturbation in long-term?

NO!

I've read a recent research on over-masturbation, and it turns out that it actually DOES cause acne, especially on neck area and lower cheeks. If you believe 100% of what western medicine doctors say, well, then go ahead. If you trust your doctors that much, why aren't you seeing your dermatologist and clear up your acne completely and stop coming to this forum site?

Not all doctors agree with 100% safety from masturbation, btw.

Check herballove.com, for example.

Do you need scientific theoreis? There are tones of it. Well, search it from a search engine yourself.

Everytime you ejaculate the filters in kidney are slightly destroyed <- a recent study show that this is a FACT! Doctors would say it will be recovered eventually, but if you OVER-masturbate bad things will happen like acne. I don't want to go thru all the details here to argue about it. None of you has any accurate knowledge on this issue unless you have done any research on this kind of stuff yourself. So, stop telling people that there is no such thing as over-masturbation or they are all myths (there are many myths about masturbation, but that doesn't tell that masturbation is completely harmless).

Also, Eastern medicine is against masturbation with their own reasons. Kidney or liver cleanings using salts or herbs or whatever are from Eastern medicine. Why do you believe in those cleaning stuff while you don't believe in harmness of masturbation, huh? They all came from Eastern medicine. Tell you doctor about kidney or liver cleanings to clear acne from your face. They would laugh!

Anyway, whether you masturbate everyday or not is your choice....enjoy your pleasure.

Btw, I'm not saying that over-masturbation is a sole cause of acne, but I'm just saying that it could be one of them. I'm sick and tired of people saying masturbation is 100% harmless. Go...Go...jack off.

Meh, made no difference for me.. Went without if for awhile, still had acne, Masturbated 2wice a day, acne stayed the same.

#12 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2004 - 10:24 PM

I've read a recent research on over-masturbation, and it turns out that it actually DOES cause acne, especially on neck area and lower cheeks.

Do you look around for lots of research on over-masturbation? That's bullshit though. We would never evolve something that would have passing on our genes unhealthy.

PS: I believe liverflushes are BS too so there goes your Eastern medicine admonishment. Anything else?

#13 coventry

coventry

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2004 - 07:33 AM

first of all, i don't understand why people are so combative in trying to tell me that the things i think are affecting me do not. you're not me...and sure enough we all have to deal with the acne problems in our own way, all i know is that through trial and error pretty much over the past 10 years, i've discovered a lot of these things and how they affect me.

I emphasize ME - you cannot argue with what i believe affects me just because it does not affect you. so, if you don't believe what i have to say affects you, than just leave it at that. i don't enjoy being told that what i am saying is incorrect and such when i've had to deal with all of these acne problems and all i'm trying to do is help others. i realized that some others may feel that things i have mentioned may affect them as well, so i wanted to voice my opinion to give them the security in knowing that others are in the same boat and that they are not just crazy or weird.

to clarify on the masturbation issue, it's not just masturbation that causes me to break out. it's ejaculation in general. although currently single now, in my previous relationships, when i had sex, i would generally not be the one to ask for it. yes it requires a lot of willpower, but i figured i'd only do it when my gf wanted to so if i never really initiated, i'd cut down on the frequency. on top of that, i would not always "discharge" every time. i think this tended to work out ok - my acne was still manageable during "sexual relationships." but yes, dealing with the acne has definitely reduced my libido.

and with many of the things i have listed, i have tested these things throughout the past year. eat cheese, next day i get about 2 big pimples. eat shrimp, next day i get about 2 big pimples. eat steak, next day i get about 2 big pimples. work out HARD, next day i get about 2 big pimples. so on. i refrain from all of the above now, and i generally have pretty clear skin.

i get one or two big ones here and there but i can attribute it to eating foods that are prepared in restaurants where i don't know what exactly they put in.

i live my life eating very plainly. i generally eat plain cereals, chicken, and some fish. i also tend to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables because they are healthy and do not affect my acne. it seems almost like these acne problems have "forced me" to eat healthy or face the consequences.

#14 avron

avron

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2004 - 07:59 AM

Hey!

GLAD THAT SOMEONE AGREED WITH ME ABOUT THE MASTURBATION!

Masturbation DOES cause acne to some people, please don't me ignorant and say it doesn't, you may have been a lucky one for not getting it, but for some of us it flares up BATTLES on our faces.

I really hate those websites that claim that there is no correlation between masturbation and acne.

First of all, this is mainly a male problem, not everyone is affected by it, it's as simple as this:

ejaculation -> massive totestorone flow -> DHT conversion -> accelerated sebum production -> possibly breakouts and hairloss reaches it's peak point.

People won't admit that ejaculation aggrevates their acne either because they can't help not masturbating or are not affected by it.

Don't believe everything you read.
I read diet affecting acne was a myth, today I am seeing zillions of people complaining of breakouts after eating chocolate, dairy and some other types of foods.

So uhhhh, again! NOT everyone is affected by their diet or their sexual behaviors, just be thankful if you aren't affected.
Can my testicles be the reason of my suffering?

#15 avron

avron

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2004 - 08:07 AM

Oh also for the person who made this post:

You might want to try vitamin B5, I've read on another forum a great post of a user that had the same problem with his sexual activities.

It's something like: the testicles use co enzyme A or some crap like that to stimulate itself in order to ejaculate. I'd give you the link, but I am not sure whether this is against the rules or not.

Anyway use vitaminB5(don't megadose!!), and use an exfoliant on your face.

#16 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2004 - 10:57 AM

... The masturbation/acne link was used to scare children 400 years ago. Saying acne flairs up when you have sex is only an argument if you honestly believe that every single hormone change in your body ups your sebrum production. It really doesn't.

#17 avron

avron

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 July 2004 - 04:28 AM

Hormone changes can flare up acne, especially when you're going through puberty.

I don't care about what was said four hundred years ago nor do I care about religion crap, I just know it DOES flare up my face, even my dermatologist gets surprised on how my face clears up when I don't have sex/masturbate for a week.

#18 avron

avron

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 July 2004 - 04:31 AM

ACK, wrong post.
how do I delete this?

Edited by avron, 03 July 2004 - 04:32 AM.