Photo

Low GI= I found what works for me

low-glycemic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gjaa89

Gjaa89

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:20 AM

Hey everyone! I know most people don't like to read long stories so I'm just going to come right out and tell you what has helped me clear my skin completely.
Low GI.
Simple as that.
I know there is some controversy whether or not diet and skin are related but in my case, they are.
Here's what I have found:

<http://www.nutricoac..._gi_foods.html>
"The glycemic index (GI) is a numerical system of measuring how fast a carbohydrate triggers a rise in circulating blood sugar-the higher the number, the greater the blood sugar response. A low GI food will cause a small rise, while a high GI food will trigger a dramatic spike"

On that site they also have a full list of foods and their GI load.

<http://www.low-glyce...e-acne-he.html>
"A study conducted at Australia’s RMIT University* showed that a diet rich in low GI carbs and lean protein can improve acne by 50 per cent, in under three months. The same diet can also help with insulin resistance, weight management, sustaining energy and overall well being."

There is a ton of research still being done, but I know for a fact that this has worked for me. I have tried every single possible thing and this has been my relief from acne.

Hope it helps if you try it. Give it a couple of weeks!
eusa_angel.gif

#2 Andi B

Andi B

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 45
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:46 AM

thanks for the links; i've just seen an endocrinologist and initial test results reveal that my acne may be due to insulin intolerance. thanks again for raising the topic

#3 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:32 AM

Yes, blood sugar stabilizing diet habits along with avoiding anything you have an intolerance for are the basics of diet for acne. Most of the people that have cleared their skin via diet have done this along with addressing any personal issues like digestion problems, liver or adrenal health, stress, sleep, etc.

And most of the few doctors I've seen recognizing the diet and acne connection recommend avoiding high GI/GL meals.

Congratulations. And please add your story to this list of people who've cleared their skin via diet. See the link in my signature.

Edited by alternativista, 15 October 2009 - 01:21 PM.

#4 Gjaa89

Gjaa89

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 October 2009 - 06:08 AM

QUOTE (Andi B @ Oct 15 2009, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks for the links; i've just seen an endocrinologist and initial test results reveal that my acne may be due to insulin intolerance. thanks again for raising the topic

No problem, and good luck with everything!

#5 Gjaa89

Gjaa89

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 October 2009 - 06:11 AM

QUOTE (alternativista @ Oct 15 2009, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, blood sugar stabilizing diet habits along with avoiding anything you have an intolerance for are the basics of diet for acne. Most of the people that have cleared their skin via diet have done this along with addressing any personal issues like digestion problems, liver or adrenal health, stress, sleep, etc.

And most of the few doctors I've seen recognizing the diet and acne connection recommend avoiding high GI/GL meals.

Congratulations. And please add your story to this list of people who've cleared their skin via diet. See the link in my signature.

Luckily I had not been to the endocrinologist yet. I wanted to try one more thing before spending a fortune at the doctor's. I'm glad I tried this approach before I gave up!

#6 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (Gjaa89 @ Oct 16 2009, 06:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (alternativista @ Oct 15 2009, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Luckily I had not been to the endocrinologist yet. I wanted to try one more thing before spending a fortune at the doctor's. I'm glad I tried this approach before I gave up!

Well, by 'seen', I meant in publications and on TV. Very few of us have been lucky enough to visit a dermatologist that's aware of the perfectly obvious diet and acne connection.

Please. Add your story to the list of members who've cleared their skin via diet and healthy lifestyle. You can include link to back this thread.

#7 venam

venam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:55 PM

Could you post what an average day (food wise) was for you? How long did it take you to start seeing improvements? What about being completely clear?

Edited by venam, 16 October 2009 - 01:56 PM.

#8 Gjaa89

Gjaa89

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (venam @ Oct 16 2009, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could you post what an average day (food wise) was for you? How long did it take you to start seeing improvements? What about being completely clear?

For breakfast every single morning (around 6:30-7:00 am) I eat an egg white, spinach, and mushroom omlette in olive oil.
If the spinach or the mushrooms don't sound appetizing to you, you could substitute them for something else. This is a good source of protein for me in the morning and keeps me full until around 12:00 in the afternoon.
For lunch I'll eat a salad or some grilled brussel sprouts. I try to incorporate veges in every single meal.
For dinner around 5:30-6 pm I eat whatever kind of meat I want (usually just turkey burgers or baked chicken). I try to eat Salmon or Ahi Tuna three-four nights a week.
For dessert I eat one apple or a small granola bar.
I have a major sweet tooth.

Apples are low on the GI scale so they make a good snack. Granola bars I think are on the medium list.

I dont snack throughout the day because I'm usually too busy to.
I alternate veges. I love okra, brussel sprouts, spinach, cabbage...they are all very low on the GI scale.
Print out the Low Glycemic List and put in on your fridge. Highlight the foods you really like and make a grocery list out of it.
Hope this helps smile.gif

http://www.southbeac...micfoodlist.htm

#9 Gjaa89

Gjaa89

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (venam @ Oct 16 2009, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How long did it take you to start seeing improvements? What about being completely clear?

I saw improvements within a week, so that's why I stuck with it.
Ive noticed my trigger foods and I try to stay clear of them at all costs.
I am about 98%clear with just a few popping up every week. I used to get a few a day so that is a huge improvement.
This eating plan has helped more than anything else has in the past.