Books on good nutrition?

5 replies to this topic

#1 unplainjane

unplainjane

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2004 - 11:33 AM

I want to learn more about good basic nutrition and how to encorporate it into my diet everyday. No fads or weight loss diets. Could anyone recommend some good respected books? My parents never ate well so I never learned from them. Though I tend to know what's good and bad for me but I have a hard time planning meals for myself without just making the same thing all the time. I get bored so I just end up eating out all the time. I figure the more I learn about the nutrition I'll make better choices. Thanks!

#2 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 28 June 2004 - 01:49 PM

there's so much free info on the internet, why would you ever need to buy a book.

some of my advice:

eat a wide variety of different colored fruits and veggies. avocados are very good for you.

incorporate olive oil or avocado oil into your dishes. make sure they're cold pressed oils. say no to butter.

chicken, turkey, and fish are good meats. i like swordfish and halibut and salmon.

try to stick with whole wheat breads. get a wheat baggette and dip the bread in a plate of olive oil with flavored vinegar (raspberry) in the center.

eat brown rice. make a stir fry dinner with veggies, diced chicken, sliced almonds, some garlic and teryaki sauce, over brown rice.

eat a mixture of nuts as snacks.

peanut butter and honey or jelly sandwiches are always good. make sure to get the healthy PB, which doesn't have any hydrogenated oils.

have a banana and a granola bar for breakfast.

make a smoothie with different fruits, ice, yogurt, milk, and a little OJ.

dip apple slices in PB and then dip the slice in some dried cranberries.

indulge in dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate. dark chocolate has much more antioxidants.

drink green tea every day. sweeten with honey.

#3 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 June 2004 - 06:30 AM

What is considered "good nutrition" depends on who you are talking to.

I'd recommend this book : Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy: The Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating by Walter C. Willett
Who wants to be normal? Who wants normal results? We want to be exceptional. Exceptions confirm what is not normal

#4 lowfreq

lowfreq

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 June 2004 - 07:47 AM

Read the "Wrinkle Cure" by Dr. Perricone. In my opinion, the best advice on getting the best possible nutrition for your skin and body. Anti-aging diets work and cures alot of ailments.

#5 Nico

Nico

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2004 - 09:30 PM

Check out "The mucusless healing diet system" by Arnold Erhet. You'll never catch a cold again.

#6 a good friend

a good friend

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2004 - 03:31 AM

Hello,

I recommend a book called Beautiful Skin. I found it on http://lulu.com.
It gives good advice about preventing acne and wrinkles, through natural remedies such as skin care and a healthy diet.

I also disagree with some of your good food recommendations. Peanut butter might be healthy, but its a terrible thing to eat if you have acne. It causes severe acne to form. I read this in the book. And also i know from terrible experiences with my own acne after eating peanut butter.

The book states that peanut butter, shellfish, wheat flour and caffeine are all unhealthy and cause acne. Ive found this to be true myself. I have broken out with some bad acne after eating these things.

Just my humble 2 cents here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users