Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zag Enzyme, Lectins, Digestive Tract And Clogged Pores

255 posts in this topic

This post on the benefits of nettles and nettle tea claim the lectins in nettles act like antibodies. Something to look into. Beneficial lectins. Sure there's a lot of research into lectins to treat cancer, but that doesn't mean they are good for you. Cancer treatments tend to be bad or you.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/nettle-tea-health-benefits.html

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

I have 'good' amount of lentil(lentil soup or dal) every day - almost always thrice a day(with breakfast, lunch & dinner).

i do it because i love them, they are so filling & also for the nutritional value - mainly the protein content!

my mum never soaks them.

but we first boil them and them add in spices, lil' oil and sometimes even veggies like carrots.

(i'll ask her to add onions &/or garlic everyday if she can)

is it okay if i have that much lentil soup through a day?

i ask this 'health wise' not just skin.

p.s i always have lentil soup with some white rice(which is my lunch & dinner staple along with good amount of veggies, fish/egg curry etc.)

i try to balance out my white rice(not much) with good about of protein, fibre, and as much as fat as i get from fish/egg/some oil used in cooking etc.

Itchy red raised skin - dermatitis??

huge pores

indented scar

oils used for cooking

inflamed whiteheads & clogged pores

my balanced diet chart and skincare routine(medications taken & products used now)

I have 'good' amount of lentil(lentil soup or dal) every day - almost always thrice a day(with breakfast, lunch & dinner).

i do it because i love them, they are so filling & also for the nutritional value - mainly the protein content!

my mum never soaks them.

but we first boil them and them add in spices, lil' oil and sometimes even veggies like carrots.

(i'll ask her to add onions &/or garlic everyday if she can)

is it okay if i have that much lentil soup through a day?

i ask this 'health wise' not just skin.

p.s i always have lentil soup with some white rice(which is my lunch & dinner staple along with good amount of veggies, fish/egg curry etc.)

i try to balance out my white rice(not much) with good about of protein, fibre, and as much as fat as i get from fish/egg/some oil used in cooking etc.

I believe if you look back through the thread where there are the charts on the various lectins in various seeds, you'll find that substances that bind up the lectins in lentils are abundant in a variety of foods that are probably abundant in your diet. But I can't swear to that. I haven't memorized it all. But a rule of thumb is that the hardest lectins to destroy or bind up are those in the gluten grains and soy. And maybe peanuts, again, I don't remember on that.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

So phytic acid (aka inositol hexaphosphate, IP6) is one of the forms of inositol and a source of myo inositol which has been found to improve insulin signaling and seratonin production. But of course we know it chelates minerals/metals, but that isn't entirely a bad thing. Many are toxic in excess. Some, like mercury, in any amounts. Phytic acid is used as a chelating substance for uranium. It's also used in soil to remove contaminants such as uranium.

So what I'm trying to determine is if sprouting my buckwheat frees up the inositols.

Be careful with sprouting buckwheat. I've added a lot of buckwheat to my diet recently, for unrelated reasons. The buckwheat *plant* contains large amounts of fagopyrin (a structurally interesting compound related to hypericin from St. Johns wort). The compound is phototoxic, and orally bioavailable.. it builds up in your skin after eating it. All the human case studies I've read (easily searched for on the net) are of people juicing or otherwise consuming fresh buckwheat greens or shoots. On exposure to sunlight, fagopyrin absorbs photons and produces singlet oxygen and other reactive radicals, which then go on to damage surrounding tissues. In people who have been regularly consuming fresh buckwheat, this results in extreme sensitivity to light, swelling and itching, and being easily sunburned... this evolves into neurological symptoms, dizziness and nausea.

The buckwheat *seeds* themselves contain only trace amounts of fagopyrin, and thus whole buckwheat, kasha, and buckwheat flour are perfectly fine. And of course, they've been eaten without problems for thousands of years. I haven't found any references to sprouting buckwheat as a traditional practice, though. Kasha is invariably made from buckwheat groats that are toasted/roasted and then boiled. Soba is made from unsprouted buckwheat flour.

I've been toying with just soaking overnight. I doubt this could realistically cause a problem if only eaten occasionally. But there has to be a clear advantage to weigh against the risk. Unfortunately, I've been unable to find any reports on at what point in the life of the plant fagopyrin is produced, or the concentration of fagopyrin in sprouts. Shoots are very high in fagopyrins though, so it stands to reason that production begins with germination of the seed.

Anyway, just wanted to let people know. I was quite surprised to learn of this.

Morning:

-Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser, or Dan's Cleanser

-Paula's Choice 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid Liquid

-CeraVe Moisturizer + Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunblock Lotion (zinc oxide and titanium oxide only)

[Night (before bed):

-Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser, or Dan's Cleanser

-Dan's BP

-CeraVe Moisturizer

Occasionally:

Dan's AHA

Homemade Niacinamide Toner

Homemade TTO Spot Treatment (Aloe Vera Gel and 20% Tea Tree Oil)

So phytic acid (aka inositol hexaphosphate, IP6) is one of the forms of inositol and a source of myo inositol which has been found to improve insulin signaling and seratonin production. But of course we know it chelates minerals/metals, but that isn't entirely a bad thing. Many are toxic in excess. Some, like mercury, in any amounts. Phytic acid is used as a chelating substance for uranium. It's also used in soil to remove contaminants such as uranium.

So what I'm trying to determine is if sprouting my buckwheat frees up the inositols.

Be careful with sprouting buckwheat. I've added a lot of buckwheat to my diet recently, for unrelated reasons. The buckwheat *plant* contains large amounts of fagopyrin (a structurally interesting compound related to hypericin from St. Johns wort). The compound is phototoxic, and orally bioavailable.. it builds up in your skin after eating it. All the human case studies I've read (easily searched for on the net) are of people juicing or otherwise consuming fresh buckwheat greens or shoots. On exposure to sunlight, fagopyrin absorbs photons and produces singlet oxygen and other reactive radicals, which then go on to damage surrounding tissues. In people who have been regularly consuming fresh buckwheat, this results in extreme sensitivity to light, swelling and itching, and being easily sunburned... this evolves into neurological symptoms, dizziness and nausea.

The buckwheat *seeds* themselves contain only trace amounts of fagopyrin, and thus whole buckwheat, kasha, and buckwheat flour are perfectly fine. And of course, they've been eaten without problems for thousands of years. I haven't found any references to sprouting buckwheat as a traditional practice, though. Kasha is invariably made from buckwheat groats that are toasted/roasted and then boiled. Soba is made from unsprouted buckwheat flour.

I've been toying with just soaking overnight. I doubt this could realistically cause a problem if only eaten occasionally. But there has to be a clear advantage to weigh against the risk. Unfortunately, I've been unable to find any reports on at what point in the life of the plant fagopyrin is produced, or the concentration of fagopyrin in sprouts. Shoots are very high in fagopyrins though, so it stands to reason that production begins with germination of the seed.

Anyway, just wanted to let people know. I was quite surprised to learn of this.

Or with the growth of one foliage to be exposed to the sun. I only sprout until the root starts forming. I haven't noticed any increase in photo sensitivity and I've Been oing this for a whole and been in the sun a lot lately. I was interested in seeing what growing buckwheat and buckwheat greens was like though. I have a few plants in my garden.