This topic is archived.
45 replies to this topic

#1 Dont Watch Me

Dont Watch Me

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:30 PM

im a 25 yr old male struggling with horrible skin. in the past i never really had acne, my face was clear and i never really had to worry about acne up until i was about 21. a few years ago my skin became bad all of a sudden and i began to experience several different health problems. as well as acne and red skin i have had seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp, psoriasis on my arms and legs, and hair loss.

i have tried everything to help my skin:

-benzoyl peroxide (horrible and probably ruined my skin the most)
-apricot scrub
-oil free acne washes/moisturizers
-cetaphil
-tea tree oil
-salycic acid
-apple cider vinegar
-pantothenic acid (B5) megadose

nothing has helped. i have really sensitive skin too.

ive also taken supplements (multi vitamin, milled flaxseed, fish oil, biotin, coral calcium) and have improved my diet (natural & organic products, eating more fruit)

i went to a dermatologist twice and he wasnt helpful. the visits lasted about 5 minutes tops and he just said "oh you have acne" and prescribed me some stuff called clindamycin phosphate topical lotion (1%) that has done nothing. it costs $30 a bottle and may be making my skin worse. he prescribed me somethin else but i never bothered to fill it. when i attempted to discuss my hairloss he didnt do much and just gave me a "oh youre probably balding, try rogaine" answer.

i have extremely red discolored skin on my entire face up to my forehead. on the side by my ear you can clearly see where my skin is red and then becomes a completely normal skin tone. it seems like the red skin has crept up higher.

over the past couple years ive been to different doctors numerous times as well as several blood tests. they cant tell me whats wrong and dont want to help. im very weary of doctors/dermatologists since they've done nothing for me except waste my money.

as i type this, i now have a huge breakout on the left side of my face right by my nose

i know this is acne.org but i suspect my skin problems are coming from a deeper health issue and no acne products will help because of it. ive been sick for awhile now and it cant be just coincidence that i notice these things at the same exact time.

im desperate

Edited by Dont Watch Me, 16 March 2010 - 05:18 PM.

#2 faust405245

faust405245

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:39 PM

I'm 25 too, just turned, but unlike you I've had acne since I was about 15. Tens years is a LONG time, that's for sure. Im losing hair too, though I dont think its the same as yours, my hairline is just receding rather than overall hairloss. Im going to be bald with acne. A perfect combination.

I notice you said you tried biotin supplements and that didnt work: a shame. Thats what I intend to try. Ive kind of been kidding myself that all my years on antibiotics have given me a biotin defficiency. I know on one level Im just going bald but that is really,really hard to take, in additon to everything else. Which is why Ive just wasted £60 on rogaine. Worth a try I guess.

I had a bad experience with a dermatolgist too. Mine was also rather dismissive, didnt really listen to what I had to say and just ushered me out the door with a prescription for something i didn't want and had already tried. I told him this but no, of course my dermatologist knew best. I wanted acutane but apparently my acne isnt severe enough. Yeah right. I wish they could try living with it just for a few weeks, they'd soon change their tune. Fingers crossed ro next time though. Accutane all the way, I pray.

You said that you were having problems with red skin. You said you tried benzyl peroxide and also that you have sensitive skin. Not sure if youre still using the peroxide or perhaps you're using something else but it could just be that you've been using it too much, too often. Ive got senistive skin too and if I use too much product, too often, my skin gets red and inflamed too. Everywhere I use the cream or whatever gets red but at my hairline and at the sides of my face you can see my normal skin tone. From what you said I just thought it might be something similar. Probably not though.

What I would say is I agree that perhaps there might be an underlying cause to your health problems. 21 seems rather late to develop acne for no reason. Hopefully somebody will be able to offer you some help. Sorry I cant help more.
"Every third thought shall be my grave." - Prospero

#3 databased

databased

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE (Dont Watch Me @ Aug 31 2009, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
im a 25 yr old male struggling with horrible skin. in the past i never really had acne, my face was clear and i never really had to worry about acne up until i was about 21. a few years ago my skin became bad all of a sudden and i began to experience several different health problems. as well as acne and red skin i have had seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp, psoriasis on my arms and legs, and hair loss.

(a random nutjob on the Internet replies:) Anything else change much in the vicinity of that time frame? Dietary changes? Started working nights? Recreational drugs? Went on/off alcohol? Switched to a job where your boss delights in torturing you? Experiencing depression? Do you sleep well and awaken refreshed?
I think impaired zinc metabolism is the root cause of chronic acne.
A Zinc Regimen. | My crappy blog.
"When you believe in things that you don't understand, then you suffer -- superstition ain't the way" -- S. Wonder

#4 kazza

kazza

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:12 AM

Hi there, you could try niacin ( big thread on here somewhere ). Loadsa people are raving about how great it is and how it cleared them. It's worth a shot.

Also, eat more veg than fruit. Fruit contains fructose, a sugar, which will feed the acne bacteria and make your skin worse.

I think this site is more informative and helpful ( not to mention sympathetic! ) than any doctor. Please, check out some of the great advice on what has worked for different people. But I would start with the niacin! wink.gif

#5 Dont Watch Me

Dont Watch Me

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:39 PM

nothing really changed............diet yea ive changed it to eating better (more healthy) which should help skin. i dont drink or do drugs/smoke, never have. depression yes......ive been depressed because of my health. this has got me not wanting to even go out in public.

yea biotin will make your existing hair grow faster and is good for nails but it wont stop baldness. i forgot to mention i also took saw palmetto......dont know if that had an effect or not. my hair is receding at the temples and thinning all over, ive got lines all over where you can see my scalp. hairline is intact minus the temples. i have a big forehead and messed up hairline to begin with so its even worse. so you tried rogaine foam? i was thinkin of buyin some to grow the temples but i dont wanna waste money.

i stopped using benzoyl peroxide years ago but you're probably right about using too much. i used to dump it on even when i had 1 little pimple........id kill for that problem right now. i think id take clear skin over having hair any day.

i posted a couple pics in the redness section. that's my main problem.

maybe i'll try niacin. has anyone tried coenzyme a? its really expensive so i'm hesitant.

Edited by Dont Watch Me, 01 September 2009 - 06:42 PM.

#6 kazza

kazza

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:15 AM

Hi, you said in your original post that you've been sick for a while and that your skin got worse around the same time. What is your underlying health issue? ( hope you don't think me impertinent )

My boyfriend uses Rogaine, it is expensive and I don't think it works but he keeps on getting it delivered and hoping! Maybe best do a search to check out the efficacy before you buy, but as you say, your skin is your priority right now.

Please keep us posted on whichever path you choose next and how you get on. I've found this place really useful.

#7 Dont Watch Me

Dont Watch Me

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:11 AM

i dont know what my underlying health issue is........i have a lot of different symptoms. last yr i was back and forth between the hospital and no doctors could tell me what was wrong. i had several blood tests. there are a few guesses i have as to what could be wrong with me but i dont know. doctors havent been any help, they look at me like a nut too.

#8 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:11 PM

Well, I would not put BP, TTO, BHA, clyndamycin or such things on red skin. A lot of people have found they got clearer when they stopped topicals and harsh cleansers. Hopefully you will at least get less red. Try applying aloe vera. You can also mix aloe vera with a niacinimide capsule (19-1) to use niacin topically.
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#9 Dont Watch Me

Dont Watch Me

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:24 AM

yea ive tried aloe vera gel and it didnt help...forgot to mention that in my original post.

i think.....

i have a parasite/bacteria infection. pretty sure its a parasite (tapeworm). when i went to the doctor and told them that they said it was "yeast" and gave me antifungal cream which obviously didnt do anything for me (what a shock...of course it wasnt going to help). i dont have ringworm that that stuffs for. this is whats messing up my skin and overall health but i cant get anyone to take me seriously when i tell them this.

#10 kazza

kazza

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:20 AM

Hiya, I doubt you have a tapeworm (not that I'm an expert!) Have you lost a lot of weight? Been to any foreign countries where the water maybe was unsanitary? Do you kiss your pets? (yes really?!)
Do you eat meat/fish that is raw/undercooked?

I wouldn't use the net to diagnose yourself either. It's too easy to do and you could land yourself in a worse situation. Maybe you have Leaky Gut Syndrome. There's a lot of it about!

I would persevere with another Dr, though I know you must've lost faith by now. Maybe suggest they test you for parasites. All they need is a poo sample! Of course, there's other tests too.

Clearly something is going on and you need a medical diagnosis, so please don't give up. You must persevere. It's such a shame that there's so many crap and unsympathetic Drs around! It's exactly the same here. You have to battle on just to be taken seriously which makes some people become weary and just give in.

Also, maybe don't bother with anymore Derms as this seems to be something other than just acne/skin condition, as you have the other symptoms going on too. Do you have GPs (General Practitioners?)

Best wishes and let us know how you go : )

#11 pinks831@yahoo.com

pinks831@yahoo.com

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE (databased @ Aug 31 2009, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Dont Watch Me @ Aug 31 2009, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(a random nutjob on the Internet replies:) Anything else change much in the vicinity of that time frame? Dietary changes? Started working nights? Recreational drugs? Went on/off alcohol? Switched to a job where your boss delights in torturing you? Experiencing depression? Do you sleep well and awaken refreshed?

Yeah..i suspect exactly what he mentioned above. Please get your blood checked and show a doctor immediately.

spammer!

#12 Dutchie1014

Dutchie1014

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:45 AM

Have you ever done any research on Demodex? This is a mite that lives on your skin and if it overgrows can cause skin issues as well as hair loss and such. Google it. There's some interesting articles out there! It's kind of a gross idea, but it might be worth looking into.

I am 26 and started struggling with acne after my pregnancy. I am sure that my acne is hormone induced, but like you, no doctor will listen to me. I requested a blood test and instead got prescribed some topical antibiotic. I specifically requested no antibiotics, but ahh.

I have had good success with taking Evening Primrose oil. I think it's helping me balance my hormones. Since you're a guy this won't help, but have you ever looked at something like Borage oil? Some experts think that acne sufferers are deficient in certain essential fatty acids and the EFAs (especially GLA) in borage oil could help correct this.

I wish you the best of luck. Don't give up!

"Never separate the life you live from the words you speak."
-Paul Wellstone

#13 ameliabright

ameliabright

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:33 PM

I use mineral products for my acne (i've been using them for about 2 weeks) and they're helping already, and I'm 24.

But on the website for these products (they're made by adovia and sold at cleopatra's choice.com), TONS AND TONS of people with skin problems other than acne (including psoriasis) have said that adovia's mineral products are the only thing that helps significantly. I urge you to check it out:

www.cleopatraschoice.com

Edited by ameliabright, 10 September 2009 - 01:34 PM.

morning & night

adovia sulfur soap
st. ives naturally clear cleanser (as scrub)

spot treatment: sulfur ointment 6%
clean & clear mark reducer (SA 2%)
clean & clear SA moisturizer

adovia dead sea mud mask (2-4 times/week)

make-up

neutrogena foundation
adovia mineral blemish concealer

#14 Dont Watch Me

Dont Watch Me

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:57 PM

ive had several blood tests done last year.......they cant tell me whats wrong.

i asked for a parasite test and they were supposed to order one for me but never got it

i am 99.99% positive its a parasite (tapeworm). everyone will say no and that its impossible because its a rare thing and only thought of in 3rd world countries. i dont know what else it could possibly be and ive seen what look to be little pieces of worm in my stool. i wouldnt make this stuff up. whats leaky gut syndrome? i have a blueish mark on my stomach that goes out from belly button and my stomach also juts out. my stomach was completely flat before and all of a sudden this happened.

i could be losing weight i dont know. i have a high metabolism and have always been skinny. i eat a lot and work out but can never seem to gain any weight.

im very weary of doctors now, they have done nothing to help over the past couple years and take me as a joke.....probably because of my crappy HMO health plan. its really frustrating to spend $20+ for a visit and have them not even listen to you. im going to have to go back though because i want whatever is inside my body out.

#15 kazza

kazza

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:28 AM

Well I don't know how they can't take you seriously when you have all this physical evidence that things aren't normal! And if they actually did a stool test it sounds like they'd probably find something.

I really feel mad when I read stuff like this cos I think your whole health system is totally shameful. It makes me sick to think that it's a case of the more money you have the better you get treat! The doctors are all money orientated! Money 1st patient care 2nd. It really is a disgrace.

No wonder that doc is gonna get away with killing Michael Jackson. Money talks, it seems and if you're poor, you're screwed! Maybe they think they're exempt from the Hippocratic oath and they can literally get away with malpractice!!!

I'm a nurse and I could not work in what is a totally unethical healthcare system. I just hope Obama is gonna make real changes. I am sooo glad and so proud to be working in the NHS (National Health Service), where health care is free and equal in standard for all, regardless of bank balance! Where the 1st thing they don't ask when you get through the door is " How you gonna pay? " It's bollocks!

OK, rant over!! redface.gif Keep at it and tell them you're literally not leaving the office til they do the necessary tests. Hell, just find a sterile pot and take you're own poo sample along. They can't argue with that!

#16 zillamosnta

zillamosnta

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:21 AM

Wanna clear ur skin?

Go to walgreens/walmart/kroger, get a bottle of 500mg NON-FLUSH niacin. Take it once each day with food. I Swear if you start taking it today your skin is gonna start clearing by tomorrow morning!

#17 Dont Watch Me

Dont Watch Me

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:19 PM

i bought some niacin at CVS......500 mg flush free 200 pills. this better work otherwise i wasted $11.49

#18 Dont Watch Me

Dont Watch Me

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:11 PM

so how long until niacin is supposed to have an effect? there's been no change. like i said there is something inside of my body thats wreaking havoc. all this stuff happening at the exact same time and me suddenly getting discolored skin and acne? unless i get rid of whats inside me im never gonna clear my skin.

is there anything that will at least temporarily help red skin and acne scars? this is my big problem. i am tired of having to deal with this right now and i wanna go out without being self conscious about my face.

#19 Dont Watch Me

Dont Watch Me

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:08 PM

this sucks. been on niacin and it has no effect. im depressed, dont feel like doing anything, dont wanna be seen in public. i hate it, my face is a mess. i've put off doing things because i just dont have any motivation right now. oh yea it certainly doesnt help in trying to get a relationship either. no one deserves to have acne or skin problems. its horrible.

i think im going to have to go back to kaiser as much as i dont want to.

#20 MrHelper

MrHelper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:49 PM

Okay, try this..

No milk. (dairy)

No bread..

No Soy.

Take Garlic, >.> and

http://www.vitacost....inal-Detoxifier It's to kill parasites/worms/ etc (i'd pick this over the other) I used this one
http://www.vitacost....-Parasite-Syrup either or It's to kill parasites/worms/ etc

http://www.vitacost....Probiotic-10-20 To put healthy bacteria in you..
http://www.vitacost....Probiotic-15-35 Either or.. I used both before.

a colon cleanse .. why not. I used this too
http://www.vitacost....n-Cleanse/cas-1

I'd try an "apple fast"( I did this too, I actually paid to learn this, what bs, but it's good to do). Can look online on how to do it. You just eat apples for 3 days, only them. And drink water and yada yada. The apples suppose absorb the toxins as you go.

If you really have worms, you might see it in that. Since your crap will look like shredded apples. It's not hard to spot other things.

I had neg results from the doctors. I didn't believe them. So I did that above. I didn't eat wheat or any bread anything for over 1-2 years. To stop feeding "yeast". I also took all that and did all sorts of stuff.

I come to a conclusion I'm just skinny and don't gain weight because of other factors, not worms feeding off of me taking all my protein and vitamins.
I wouldn't say you have "worms" or whatever, but you could try the above.
I had a shitty face, skinny, and I thought I had worms..... I thought like you.

Right now, I'm a lot better.. I don't drink milk. I skip sodas, drink mostly water. Beer once in awhile. Like in 7 months, I had 3 beers. (3 today). 99,9% water.
I avoid dairy!!! And when I eat pizza, I seem to break out. I can eat sausages or things I MAKE/cook and nothing.. I mean I still get stuff, but not like before.

I just started with Niacin, like from the other thread. I hope it helps with those nasty big deep pimples that can not be popped.
http://www.vitacost....mg-100-Capsules has stuff to kill parasites/worms etc

Of what I use now, I don't use the colon cleanse, nor the probiotics, nor the parasites and neither the garlic because I don't have worms, parasites, or yeast.

But I do use that AKN skin thing. Since I bought a few bottles and I'm running out on the one I have. I wont be buying another unless I notice a drastic change all of a sudden!

oh to add, I'm also 25

with really sensitive skin