Dan

Administrator

• Admin
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:11 PM

I'm starting the Chill Out today--the new part of Acne.org that I built to help people stop picking. I'm using it to stop biting my nails, which is pretty much identical to skin picking.

I just printed out my answers and my journal. I'm going to cognitive behave myself smile.gif

I'll write in this thread and keep you posted of how it's going. It would be incredible if this worked since I've been trying to stop since second grade with no luck.

BEFORE pics attached

Attached Thumbnails

• fingerssmall2.jpg
  • thumbsmall.jpg

#2 Jordanmac7

Jordanmac7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 12
About Me
  • Interests:Soccer, Snowboarding, Wakeboarding, God, Family..not in that order :)

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:29 PM

I have the exact same problem. I have been chewing my nails since the 4th grade I think and I have never been able to stop. I have tried several times with minimal success.

Im also a skin picker but not too bad and I never take it to extremes.

#3 hec89

hec89

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:32 PM

Im also interested in hearing how this goes, im not really that bad at touching/picking my face. I sometimes catch myself maybe once or twice a day.

#4 Dacha

Dacha

When in doubt, put AHA+ on it!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:00 PM

I'm in on this for biting nails. Dan's look amazing compared to my own because I bite till it hurts.

#5 lyonka

lyonka

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:46 PM

Your nails look perfectly fine, but if the biting truly bothers you, then I wish you the best of luck with your program.

Kelsey

#6 Dan

Dan

Administrator

• Admin
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:49 AM

Day 2

Yesterday was very interesting. I wrote down my triggers in my little journal and all of them have one thing in common, at least so far. I bite my nails when I don't know what to do about something. For instance, "hmmm....should I go to the movie with them?...." BITE!

I did pretty well, on at least nine of my fingers. My thumb wasn't so lucky. I totally bit the nail and picked while playing a game with a friend, and didn't even realize it until it was too late.

#7 Librarian on the Run

Librarian on the Run

LibOnRun

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Libraries, books and running.

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:42 AM

I skin pick when I have zits - but even when I "think" something is going to form. It's horrible. I can't tell you how many times I've made a "spot" become a "zit" or even a "sore" because I "thought" I felt a zit was forming there. And usually there was nothing there to begin with. I'm going to watch/follow this with you, Dan.

I'm also an avid nail biter. I've been a nail biter - forever. I've never ever had to "clip" my fingernails - because I always chew them off sad.gif So I hear ya on that level. (and people couldn't believe that I've never had to ever clip them...odd.) I find myself biting my nails when I'm thinking about something - like when I read a book? I'm horrible. That's when I realize I'm doing it and I'm like, "CRAP!?"

Dan - have you ever tried putting nail polish on? Even clear nail polish? I've found that when I put nail polish on - I tend to not want to bite them - because they have that clear coating on them....I have still bitten, but nowhere near as when they are completely bare. And usually when I bite them (with nail polish on) it's because my nails actually have had a chance to grow and I'm not used to them that long?!

I am a sad case sad.gif I'm with ya on this though!

#8 Librarian on the Run

Librarian on the Run

LibOnRun

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:45 AM

And as we speak - I am biting my fingernails. And I didn't even know/think about it. DANG!

#9 Dan

Dan

Administrator

• Admin
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:18 PM

Day 3

Katmae, you crack me up smile.gif Thanks for following along. It's good to know people are holding me to it in a sense.

So today is day 3. It's not all that hard today for some reason. I'm pretty chill. It's cool. But this is how it usually goes. I can do it for a few days or weeks and then I regress. So that'll be the real test. But so far so good. I can see a tiny bit of white part of my nails. lol.

#10 *Ariana*

*Ariana*

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:21 PM

I don't bite my nails, but I wanted to give you my support, Dan. You can do this!!

#11 Dan

Dan

Administrator

• Admin
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:48 PM

Day 4

OK, I've got my "triggers" boiled down into 2 categories now:

1. Anytime I'm unsure about what to do about something.
2. Watching TV.

I'm finding this process really interesting...

So far, so good today...

#12 Dan

Dan

Administrator

• Admin
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:09 PM

Day 5

OK, so I didn't watch TV today...

And I just practiced my competing response and stuff whenever else I wanted to pick. I picked at my left thumb a tad but wasn't bad at all. Just for like 5 seconds.

Ah, this must be so interesting for whoever is reading this..."Wow, Dan picked at his left thumb for about 5 seconds today! Fascinating!" lol.gif

Anyway, so far so good. My nails are looking more normal. I'll take a pic again in a couple of days and post it.

#13 Librarian on the Run

Librarian on the Run

LibOnRun

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:39 PM

Dan - I'm glad I can make you laugh! I hope it's still going well for you - I know that some of my triggers are when I'm focused on something else - like yours is "watching tv" and mine is "reading a book" - or even "reading a webpage" because that's how I started biting my nails - while reading this post?! OH NO! smile.gif

However - I know my picking is the same way - I have to be in front of a mirror. My sister (who is also on the DK products) tends to pick when she doesn't even realize it - usually she's in the middle of a conversation with someone and she's intently listening - and I will catch her running her fingertips over parts of her cheek - trying to find something to pick at?

So - it seems like when people tend to focus on a certain "thing" - and almost "tune out" - these little habits come into play? And "tune out" isn't really a good way to describe it - but it's almost like your conscious/mental focus switches to something else - and your physical body does something else at the same time? I dunno - I know that I'm not really "tuning out" when I'm reading a book - I'm totally "tuning IN" to the book - but maybe "tuning out" of myself? Or what I'm doing? Hmmm... that just sounds creepy. smile.gif But maybe it makes sense?!

I'd like to say it's almost like we have no control over it - but we do. It just seems like we get wrapped up in something else - and another part of our consciousness decides it wants to do a bad habit to keep ourselves busy? Odd. I still don't think that's coming out right - but it sorta makes sense (if it's when you do 2 things at once - like watching tv and biting your nails... etc..)

#14 Librarian on the Run

Librarian on the Run

LibOnRun

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:20 AM

*** removed because answered***

#15 CelloIsLove

CelloIsLove

Pedo-stache <3

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:32 AM

This is kind of funny, because I find that when I'm about to pick, if I just bite my nails, I get distracted from picking...Hmmm...

#16 Dan

Dan

Administrator

• Admin
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:42 PM

Katmae, sure you can email me if you'd like, but I can take a while to respond. I am busy these days buried in research pretty much. But answers to your inquiries in short:

- survey: still ongoing, one of our interns is working on it
- tottles: not gonna do it, decided to stay with 16oz. pump option
- logo: slipped through the cracks for now, but it's in someday/maybe
- tshirts, sweatshirts: also in someday/maybe
- site nav: I agree and I've got that in my inbox

smile.gif

#17 Laxer04

Laxer04

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:13 PM

Hi Dan I'm sorry if I shouldn't post this here but I have a question about skin picking...

I want to stop picking my face but:

I always get pimples with white stuff { whiteheads i think they are called lol } And i always take a needle poke it and squeeze out the puss and then it bleeds for like a second and I hold a napkin to the stop for like 5 minutes till the leakage stops...

I've realized once my face breakouts with like 3 of those and i pick them all once those picked ones go away there 3 more etc.

What happens if i dont get the puss out? Cause i dont want to not pop them and let it go over time if over time means they get really big with alot of puss and take twice as long to go away..

Sooo please when should i pick??

{Can you direct me to a thread if one is already for this subject}

#18 Priyax

Priyax

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 August 2009 - 02:20 PM

Hey, I really use to have this skin picking problem too.
Especially during school, I'd lay my hand on my cheek or chin while I was listening or thinking.
So, heres one thing you can do.
When you feel like your going to pick, put your hands either when your on your chair under your butt or when your standing fold it behind your back.
I did it, now I barely pick:)

#19 Organic Gal

Organic Gal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

Hello there Dan and other folks,
First of all Dan, THANKS for your awesome site. I think it allows many of us struggling w/skin issues and other idiosyncrasies (e.g. nail biting & skin picking!) a place to feel a sense of community and get solutions to our problems which is wonderful... in addition to the products you sell and recommend (some of which I use).

As far as the nail biting and skin picking, I like the person's idea above, but am not sure that sitting on my hands will always work for me. Just like saying I'm going to "chill" starting today sounds great, but in all likelihood will never happen, at least not for me. I think we really need some tips and crutches to get us over these habits.

I have both issues-- sometimes bite my nails and sometimes pick at my skin. I find myself doing what Katmae's sister does, and run my fingers over my face, almost looking for bad things to happen! It's awful and I am sure I make my skin worse even when it's fairly clear. And the bad thing is that I will sometimes bite my nails in order to stop touching my face (Like CelloIsLove)! I also do it a lot when I'm on my laptop and focused on something else... like now! Scary enough, I was actually following Katmae's post about consciously doing something and unconsciously picking. It's almost like you're fidgety and need something to do. I don't watch much TV, but find myself doing it watching movies.

I personally believe that some of it's nervous energy. Not sure if this will help any of you, but I read an article once about stress, saying that if you force your mind to relax and think of something else, it will help ease such problems. It advised you to take the tips of your fingers and touch them to your thumb in succession, back and forth (you can do both hands at once) and sort of meditate on something else while doing it. This is supposed to relax you a bit. When I've tried it, it has helped!

Another thing I think we could all do as we're trying this "chill out" kinda' program... it's going to sound cheesy, but I don't care: remember to love yourself. I'm pretty sure none of us want our faces and/or nails to look like crap... so stop it already! This will sound extreme, but don't further mutilate/scar your faces and/or hands... do something else. Focus on something positive. And if worse comes to worse, SIT on your hands or do something w/them... even if it's just squeezing a ball or something. I have even said to my fiance "tell me to stop if/when you see me touching my face/biting my nails!" So you can also have someone else "check" you if that works.

I agree with whomever mentioned clear finger nail polish. I don't like to use it myself, but bought a fairly harmless one from Aveda that is not super-glossy and when it's on my nails, I don't tend to bit them. The other strange thing is that typically when my nails are longer, I stop biting them. It's like once they start looking "pretty" again, I leave them alone. I think I will put some on tonight!

In summary on this long-rambling post... I believe
My triggers are:
- oil on my face
- restlessness/nervous energy
- while on the laptop, watching a movie, & sometimes at work/my desk

My solutions will be (hopefully!):
- relaxing more
- doing the finger pressing thing (almost like playing piano)
- nail polish
- reminding myself to LOVE ME, not scratch/pick/bite at myself!
- help from my fiance

OK, I'm starting as of right now... no more touching my face. I'll let you all know how it's going a few days from now! GOOD LUCK to the rest of you with these same goofy habits! smile.gif

-Organic Gal

#20 Dan

Dan

Administrator

• Admin
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:28 PM

Laxer04: Check out the pop page for more info.

Sitting on hands: Hmmm...sounds too good to be true smile.gif But I'm glad it's working for you. That's awesome.

Organic Gal: So psyched for you to do this with me. Loving yourself is a big part of it. That's in my tips part once you print out the program!!

One week update:

It's been hard, but not incredibly hard. I've been just doing my thing, realizing my triggers, not watching as much TV, and generally knowing I would feel deep guilt if I messed up because I told all of you guys I'm doing this smile.gif That actually has helped a lot--knowing I've told people I want to do it. Anyway, here's my fingernails this week. They look almost somewhat normal now!

Attached Thumbnails

• fingersweek2.jpg
  • thumbsweek2.jpg