Photo

How can acne NOT be caused by diet?

vegetarian

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 metfan77

metfan77

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2004 - 12:57 AM

First off, sorry if this type of thing has been posted before. I just need to rant a bit.

I'm getting a little sick of hearing people say that diet has no effect on acne. I mean...it just makes no sense! It's not like acne can be some "disease" that effects seamingly random people, and has no cause. You can look at people who live in a little chinese fishing village who live in mud houses, might not have running water, and who knows how often they bathe...but they will most likely have pretty good skin (I have no proof of this, but national geographic doesn't lie!). Why? Who really knows, but I bet it has to do with the fact that they probably drink only water (even if it's dirty water from a well or river), they probably have a mostly vegetarian diet, and they probably lead physical lives.

Even a "healthy" western diet is probably not too healthy. I've had some kind of meat for dinner every day this week, and pretty much no fruits or vegetables (I don't cook it, I'm 17). I hardly drink any water either, mostly carbonated drinks full of sugar. Even as I type this I'm drinking a glass of pepsi. My skin is horrible. I've been on accutane for 2 months now, and I never got over my "initial breakout" which began in week 1. I know most people will say 2 months isn't enough time, but I'm way worse than when I started with no end in sight. I have more zits on my face everyday, and some cysts as well. The sides of my neck are covered (and I do mean COVERED) in huge, painful blood-filled cysts. My back and chest are erupting like never before. If I wear a white shirt I'm guaranteed to have blood spots coming through it by the end of the day just by scratching my back or even laying down.

I've been sitting around very depressed and thinking..."Accutane isn't a miracle drug, I can't expect it to clear me up regardless of my diet and lifestyle" I've been thinking about how ridiculous it is to think that drinking 2 liters of pop day, taking extremely hot showers, eating horrible foods, and getting no exercise actually wouldn't have an effect on my acne.

This post probably doesn't really mean anything...I mean, who am I to say what causes acne?

Well now that my glass of pepsi is empty...I'm gonna go fill it up with water.

Rant over

#2 Long

Long

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2004 - 05:43 AM

QUOTE(metfan77 @ Jun 17 2004, 11:44 PM)
You can look at people who live in a little chinese fishing village who live in mud houses, might not have running water, and who knows how often they bathe...but they will most likely have pretty good skin (I have no proof of this, but national geographic doesn't lie!). Why?

What if... the reason is they do not clean themselves right down to the pores.

What if... the reason you are in a slump with your skin is because you are taking hot showers and washing diligently with soap or cleanser and you are washing the oil right out of your pores. The accutane is slowing your oil production so your cleaned out pores are staying empty longer and you are susceptible to bacteria getting down inside your skin causing cysts.

I have no scientific proof for any of this. Just a what if... rant.

#3 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 18 June 2004 - 08:01 AM

QUOTE(metfan77 @ Jun 18 2004, 09:44 AM)
You can look at people who live in a little chinese fishing village who live in mud houses, might not have running water, and who knows how often they bathe...but they will most likely have pretty good skin (I have no proof of this, but national geographic doesn't lie!). Why? Who really knows, but I bet it has to do with the fact that they probably drink only water (even if it's dirty water from a well or river), they probably have a mostly vegetarian diet, and they probably lead physical lives.

Fishing village and they have mostly a vegetarian diet? :blink:

Every disease has a cause. With acne, it is not 100% clear what that cause is.

Same thing with Accutane, its shrinks the oil glands, but how does it do that exactly? Nobody knows.
Who wants to be normal? Who wants normal results? We want to be exceptional. Exceptions confirm what is not normal

#4 metfan77

metfan77

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2004 - 10:24 AM

I meant vegetarian AND fish!

#5 Monkeypie

Monkeypie

It's like dancing only better.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2004 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE(metfan77 @ Jun 18 2004, 01:11 PM)
I meant vegetarian AMD fish!

:eek:
Illusion is the first of all pleasures.
-Oscar Wilde

#6 hobo2alpha

hobo2alpha

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2004 - 10:44 AM

metfan,

you seem to have an open and intelligible mind!

all your questions and answers about diet and how IT DOES cause acne is located here:

www.freeacnebook.com

you can also check her main site, www.waisays.com

Please tell me what you think, and read thoroughly!

Look at the "sample diet" to see how to clear your skin!

#7 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 18 June 2004 - 10:44 AM

American Micro Devices is taking over once again. user posted image
Life is but a breath. Here is my story...

#8 ritzvin

ritzvin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2004 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE(metfan77 @ Jun 18 2004, 02:44 AM)
Even a "healthy" western diet is probably not too healthy. I've had some kind of meat for dinner every day this week, and pretty much no fruits or vegetables (I don't cook it, I'm 17). I hardly drink any water either, mostly carbonated drinks full of sugar.  Even as I type this I'm drinking a glass of pepsi.

That doesn't sound very healthy. You definitely need plenty of vegetables in your diet; and soda is terrible for you. Among the best things you can do for your skin is eat lots of salads and drink lots of water; both of which will dramatically help your endocrine system. I do eat meat every day - I wouldn't stop that, but you really need to add veggies into your diet.
99.5% Clear (skin gets 'congested' PMS week, but no actual breakouts)
---------------------------
Fragrance-Free Baby Wipes + a few drops Rimmel Makeup Remover solution
3/4 AHA Toner* & 1/4 Glycerin (cotton pad) -- good toner, moisturizer, and makeup base (use less glycerin if not under makeup)
Occasional Treatments (2-3x/week): Exfoliating bp wash* in shower, 2.5% bp lotion* at night
CoverGirl TruBlend Powder Foundation
* = Klear Action Kit (Pro-Activ knockoff)
Gluten-free diet (for non-acne reasons, but it seems to have cleared my acne)

#9 City

City

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 19 June 2004 - 03:25 PM

It took about 2 months, but after eliminating milk, 90% of the normal sugary products that I eat, no soda and drinking lemon water everyday, oh, and using Boudreaux's Butt Paste ( for diaper rashes, but it works wonders on the skin! ), I have eliminated all of my acne. I read about the paste from another forum and decided to buy it. Thankd god I did. That's pretty much it. No milk, less sugar, lemon water, lots of fruit and no greasy foods and Boudreaux's Paste = clear face for me.

#10 Neurotrumpet

Neurotrumpet

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 19 June 2004 - 08:57 PM

I agree with Ritzvin. You do need a more balanced diet!!

However, I doubt the way you are eating now has too much impact on your acne. Think of all the people (jeez, especially guys in college, have you seen the crap used for food in their dorm rooms??) who eat ust as poorly and worse than you do, yet have no acne.

Let's face it, there are very intelligent researchers who have extensive training and are working hard to find the cause of acne, and they have found no good or even semi-sortof-OK-ish link between diet and acne (save for water, which is good for skin in general, but doesn't exactly prevent acne).

Also, on the other end of the spectrum, you have people like me who eat PERFECTLY and exercise and weight-train on a daily basis and still have acne. I ate crap before I had acne, I ate crap while I started getting acne, I completely changed my diet and physical well-being and STILL have acne. There's no way diet causes acne. no way!!

-Neurotrumpet

#11 AcneFighter

AcneFighter

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2004 - 09:28 PM

I believe that acne is caused by many years of poor diet that weaken the body. But diet doesnt cure my acne unfortunately yet. Maybe I have been missing a right diet to let my body heal in a time.

Neurotrumpet, what do you think acne is caused by?

#12 Cali90

Cali90

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2004 - 09:50 PM

Acne is caused by two things:

1) Hormonal Imbalance
2) Congestion and toxcity of blood and lymph systems

Diet is one of the most important improvers of acne, but alone CAN NOT CURE ACNE!

Here are some simple tips (though if you want to know what I do...I follow Leo Kiesen's acne program which is the best ever and even worth the price...natural-acne-treatments.com):

-Steam or blanch stuff instead of frying or grilling
-Eliminate milk AND SOY (yes, soy is an anti-nutrient)..Try making almond milk instead
-No sugar at all
-Eat much more veggies and salads then you are eating now
-NO JUNK FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Check your labels at the market
-Buy Organic
-Take fiber and digestive enzymes
-Lower fruit intake (too much sugar)...and only eat fruit in morning
-Drink a lot of vegetable juice (no carrot or beet)
-Eat more raw food
-Take probiotics and other general acne supplements
-Bowel Cleanse
-Liver Cleanse

#13 Neurotrumpet

Neurotrumpet

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2004 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE(AcneFighter @ Jun 19 2004, 08:15 PM)
Neurotrumpet, what do you think acne is caused by?

AcneFighter-

There is a perpetual battle between researchers concering the cause of acne, and the product of all this is pretty much that they're not sure. It definately has to do with hormones, testosterone in particular, stimulating sebaceous (oil) glands, enlarging them and causing them to produce more sebum. This sebum not only clogs pores where hair follicles are found, but also acts as a trap for corneocytes (dead skin cells) and a veritable breeding ground for bacteria. This is the most significant "cause" of acne and it is why accutane works for most severe cases (it shrinks sebaceous glands)

There are other players that act as contributors to, but not direct causes of, acne. Some of these include diet (to a lesser extent), not cleansing your face to remove surface oils, a vitamin imbalance (which actualy is why diet plays a role in the first place), and make-up. Also, some people simply have more sensitive skin than others and can react adversely to things other people's skin may not (hard water, chemicals in detergent....air(who knows!))

I also, personally, think it has to do with immune system strength. It seems people with acne get sick less. I haven't been sick since I was 8 (im 19) and so I believe I have a strong immune system. Since the redness and swelling that is characteristic of pimples is due to immune response, it makes sense to me that stronger immune systems fight bacteria more fiercely than in most other people, which is why we have these bacteria tombstones all over our faces. This isn't the case for all people, but from what I have noticed, it makes sense to me anyway

-Neurotrumpet