527 replies to this topic

#521 righthandman

righthandman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

I also want to add that there was a time when I was living in central america and my sleep schedule was very regular. I went to bed at the same time every night and was outside all day with my eyes exposed to sunlight. I lived in a village without electricity where everyone went to bed once the sun went down. We were rarely inside, as the rooms were incredibly small. Under databased's theory, I wouldn't have had acne during this time but I did have a lot. I don't doubt that this didn't work for him but for me it did not. Acne is multifactorial. During this time in central america, i most likely masturbated freely which affects acne. Also alot of the families used soybean oil to cook with, which always makes my acne worse. I'm not sure if databased's cure is the best. For my lifestyle, it would be impractical and tedious. But I respect your determination. Just my two cents. 

#522 righthandman

righthandman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

Hi guys! please check out my thread here:

http://www.acne.org/...eroxide-theory/

It is related to zinc superoxide dismutase.

#523 Eamene

Eamene

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:10 PM

Just curious, but when you talked about how you initially did a superdose of 200mg of zinc how long did you do that for?

#524 Valtsu

Valtsu

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:05 AM

Hi everyone. 

Here's one possible reason why databased had better digestion and less acne when he started to go outdoors:

Daylight contains significant amounts of red light and near-infrared radiation (NIR), which increase tissue metabolism and decrease inflammation, mainly by activating cytochrome c oxidase in the mitochondria, directly. They have actually quite huge effects on many diseases:

http://180degreeheal...never-heard-of/

In theory, a similar effect could be achieved with incandescent bulbs or heat lamps, but not energy-saving bulbs.

In one study, at least red light had a good effect on acne: http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3352636/

In that study, they also tried near-infrared of 890nm for acne, but it didn't work. One reason could be that the wavelength they used (890nm) might be bad at activating cytochrome c oxidase (Cox). Certain wavelengths are better, and some are worse: http://www.isan.troi...s/publ3/344.pdf (Figure 1).

Databased wrote about ZSOD, and it appears that red light and infrared, by activating Cox, also increases ZOD concentrations: http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2637249/ "superoxide dismutase activities were also increased in NIL-treated subjects in a dose-dependent manner, suggesting an in vivo transcranial effect of NIL."

Edited by Valtsu, 18 November 2013 - 03:09 AM.

#525 Riddled

Riddled

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:22 PM

Interesting. Seems like that Matt Stone guy sold out, which is a shame, i enjoyed that site, was a nice balance to some of the paleoextremism that seems to have taken over.

I need to look through this later.

Also a shame this guy stopped posting. I guess his regime works. This was some of the only stuff on this site that actually seemed to be going somewhere.

Gut health / digestion - gut-brain axis etc is the future people. 

Malabsorption is where it's at baby. 

God gave us everything we need; the earth to live on, animals to feast on, vegetables to make side dishes and fruit to be eaten in moderation.

The devil put grains, beats and sugarcane on the earth to tempt us.

For approximately 2.5 million to 10,000 years ago most of us strayed away from temptation but the devils influence grew stronger and eventually we swayed to his evil ways.

God new that those whose faith was strong would never fall to temptation so he punished those who took to the pleasures of grains and sugar by not giving us the ability to digest grains and making sugar poisonous, eventually leading to all kinds of health problems including acne.

But some wanted there cake and to eat it too, free of health problems, so they made a pact with the devil and sold their soul's for acne free skin.

We see these people consuming delicious breaded, dough based meals, baked goods and confectioneries but with crystal clear skin.
These people are walking with the devil!!
They are the spawn of satan!!

Paleo is the righteous path my children!!

Your faith must be strong!!

Do not fall to temptation!!

Posted Image

blind
faith
is the
key

#526 baloo

baloo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:59 PM

So, databased's idea about getting skylight into his eyes all boiled down to one goal: a big melatonin surge that helps produce zinc superoxide dismutase to combat superoxide anions in keratinocytes. I looked it up, and keratinocytes are found in the upper layer of skin, the epidermis. I have cystic acne that's probably caused by sebaceous glands getting plugged. I looked that up too, and those are apparently in the dermis, below the keratinocyte-populated epidermis. As far as I can tell, the dermis doesn't have keratinocytes. Any idea if this zinc superoxide dismutase surge would have any effect on cystic acne caused by plugged sebaceous glands, which are away from keratinocytes (which is where the superoxide anion problem occurs)?

Or do I not have the mechanics of this correct?

Man, I wish databased was still here ... such an interesting dude.

(Also, haha, I couldn't help noticing this thread is tagged with "vegetarian" and "depression." Wha?)

Edited by baloo, 08 February 2014 - 11:01 PM.

#527 databased

databased

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

Databased wrote about ZSOD, and it appears that red light and infrared, by activating Cox, also increases ZOD concentrations: http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2637249/ "superoxide dismutase activities were also increased in NIL-treated subjects in a dose-dependent manner, suggesting an in vivo transcranial effect of NIL."

Possibly relevant, but unconvincing. They appear to be talking about increasing SOD in the (rodent) brain via infrared exposure of the retina. That's nice and interestingly weird, but the brain is pretty isolated from the rest of the body and crammed full of cell types that the skin is not. It seems more exciting to me as evidence that sunlight in the eye still has brain effects that remain undiscovered.

I think impaired zinc metabolism is the root cause of chronic acne.
A Zinc Regimen. | My crappy blog.
"When you believe in things that you don't understand, then you suffer -- superstition ain't the way" -- S. Wonder

#528 Valtsu

Valtsu

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:19 AM

Since the 180DegreeHealth was closed, I moved my article here: http://valtsus.blogs...-light-and.html

Red (or near-infrared) light also seems to decrease inflammatory cytokines from the blood. Might be relevant...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users