Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

databased

A Zinc-less Zinc Regimen for Adults: Draft 4

528 posts in this topic

So, databased's idea about getting skylight into his eyes all boiled down to one goal: a big melatonin surge that helps produce zinc superoxide dismutase to combat superoxide anions in keratinocytes. I looked it up, and keratinocytes are found in the upper layer of skin, the epidermis. I have cystic acne that's probably caused by sebaceous glands getting plugged. I looked that up too, and those are apparently in the dermis, below the keratinocyte-populated epidermis. As far as I can tell, the dermis doesn't have keratinocytes. Any idea if this zinc superoxide dismutase surge would have any effect on cystic acne caused by plugged sebaceous glands, which are away from keratinocytes (which is where the superoxide anion problem occurs)?

Or do I not have the mechanics of this correct?

Man, I wish databased was still here ... such an interesting dude.

(Also, haha, I couldn't help noticing this thread is tagged with "vegetarian" and "depression." Wha?)

Databased wrote about ZSOD, and it appears that red light and infrared, by activating Cox, also increases ZOD concentrations: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2637249/ "superoxide dismutase activities were also increased in NIL-treated subjects in a dose-dependent manner, suggesting an in vivo transcranial effect of NIL."

Possibly relevant, but unconvincing. They appear to be talking about increasing SOD in the (rodent) brain via infrared exposure of the retina. That's nice and interestingly weird, but the brain is pretty isolated from the rest of the body and crammed full of cell types that the skin is not. It seems more exciting to me as evidence that sunlight in the eye still has brain effects that remain undiscovered.

I think impaired zinc metabolism is the root cause of chronic acne.

A Zinc Regimen. | My crappy blog.

"When you believe in things that you don't understand, then you suffer -- superstition ain't the way" -- S. Wonder