fish oil oily skin

2 replies to this topic

#1 LostInTangent

LostInTangent

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:57 PM

I've got moderate (but persistent) acne, and the most extremely oily skin possible (it is beyond disgusting). I also scar very easily, so even my mild acne has been problematic for me. After trying everything imaginable, my derm finally turned to Accutane. I went on a short course of it late last year in which I started with 20mg/day, moved to 40mg/day, and was then later moved up to 80mg/day.

I ended up stopping after about 5 months because the hair shedding got out of control. I had to buzz my head and took a few months to let me body recuperate. The dosage that I was put on was absolutely ridiculous, and for me turned out to be pretty horrible. My skin was perfect though. No oil, no acne, even toned, etc.

A couple of months ago when my oil/acne began to come back I decided that I needed to come up with another plan. I switched derms and found one that is spoken of very highly and is featured in magazines as being one of the top derms in the state. After hearing my story she recommended a long-term low dose course of Accutane. The idea was to start at 10mg/day and then gradually decrease the dosage as much as possible while still maintaining the benefits.

Note: My derm has many other derm friends that treat celebrities/models/etc in LA/Hollywood and she said that a lot of these people have been on very low-dose Accutane for years and continue to take it. This typically involves around 10mg/week.

I did 2 1/2 months of 10mg/day and my skin improved greatly. I had no active pimples, and most of my blackheads had diminished. The problem though was that my skin was still very oily in certain spots. My cheeks, chin, and lips were completely dry, and my nose was just barely oily. The problem was that the upper half of my forehead (along the hairline) was still extremely oily. A couple of hours after washing, you could feel the oil slick along the forehead.

The odd thing about the oil on my forehead though is that it's more like a slick of oil that is sitting on top of my skin instead of the skin itself being oily. I can take a tissue and wipe it off and the skin then feels completely clean. My pre-Accutane skin was oily to the core, so even blotting it wouldn't help completely.

Despite the oily spots, I made the decision to go down to 10mg/EOD for the rest of the 3rd month, because my hair was starting to get dry, and I didn't want to get to the point where the hair starting getting nasty dry. After telling my derm about the oily spots, and my desire to go down to 10mg/EOD, she recommended that I use Retin-A Micro (0.04%) on just my forehead on days that I don't use Accutane, so that would provide a little more drying without having to up my Accutane dosage.

I did the 10mg/EOD of Accutane and Retin-A Micro EOD regimen for 2 weeks and it was going really great. I had virtually no irritation with the combo of the two products, and my skin tone was evening quite nicely. The problem though was that the oily spots on my forehead were still oily. Not even adding the Retin-A to the mix was helping the matter.

I went back to my derm to ask her advice and she said that I should probably cut out my daily moisturizer and just use a SPF30+ sunscreen. I did this for a week, which definitely helped. My skin wasn't oily enough anywhere to really require a moisturizer, so the sunscreen (Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch SPF30) and a gentle cleanser (Neutrogena Gentle Skin Cleanser) was good enough.

It's been a couple of days since I've done that and I'm less oily, but still oily nonetheless. I'm going to cut out all supplements I've been taking (Fish Oil, Vitamin C, Hair & Nail) and stick to an extremely bare bones regimen. Wash my face morning and night, use a sunscreen in the morning, and use Retin-A Micro at night every other day (and take 10mg of Accutane EOD).

Since the goal of this course was to be long term, I'm not going to go on more than 10mg EOD of Accutane, but I'm worried that it isn't enough to fully control my oil. I'm being really optimistic right now that either the low dose of Accutane needs more time to fully kick in, or that simplifying my daily regimen will balance things out.

Has anyone done (or doing) a very low dose course of Accutane and experienced a similar problem? I've read other resources about derms putting patients on 10-60mg/week of Accutane specifically for oily skin with great results, so I'm wondering what the problem is with my course.

I'll keep updating my log periodically in case others are interested, but I'd love to hear from others.

#2 ticket_to_ride

ticket_to_ride

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE (LostInTangent @ Jul 11 2009, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've got moderate (but persistent) acne, and the most extremely oily skin possible (it is beyond disgusting). I also scar very easily, so even my mild acne has been problematic for me. After trying everything imaginable, my derm finally turned to Accutane. I went on a short course of it late last year in which I started with 20mg/day, moved to 40mg/day, and was then later moved up to 80mg/day.

Note: My derm has many other derm friends that treat celebrities/models/etc in LA/Hollywood and she said that a lot of these people have been on very low-dose Accutane for years and continue to take it. This typically involves around 10mg/week.

Can you pleeeassee tell me the name of your Dermatologist??? (Maybe through a message or something?) I'm DESPERATE! =( I have the same exact acne you have described, (mild-moderate, but persistant and scarrs no matter what), and I can't find a Derm that will prescribe me low-dose accutane! ='(

(I also live where in LA, so that's obviously why I'm asking you about yours that is in Hollywood. Haha)

#3 gallenng

gallenng

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:45 AM

QUOTE (LostInTangent @ Jul 11 2009, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I ended up stopping after about 5 months because the hair shedding got out of control. I had to buzz my head and took a few months to let me body recuperate. The dosage that I was put on was absolutely ridiculous, and for me turned out to be pretty horrible. My skin was perfect though. No oil, no acne, even toned, etc.

A couple of months ago when my oil/acne began to come back I decided that I needed to come up with another plan. I switched derms and found one that is spoken of very highly and is featured in magazines as being one of the top derms in the state. After hearing my story she recommended a long-term low dose course of Accutane. The idea was to start at 10mg/day and then gradually decrease the dosage as much as possible while still maintaining the benefits.

I did 2 1/2 months of 10mg/day and my skin improved greatly. I had no active pimples, and most of my blackheads had diminished. The problem though was that my skin was still very oily in certain spots. My cheeks, chin, and lips were completely dry, and my nose was just barely oily. The problem was that the upper half of my forehead (along the hairline) was still extremely oily. A couple of hours after washing, you could feel the oil slick along the forehead.

The odd thing about the oil on my forehead though is that it's more like a slick of oil that is sitting on top of my skin instead of the skin itself being oily. I can take a tissue and wipe it off and the skin then feels completely clean. My pre-Accutane skin was oily to the core, so even blotting it wouldn't help completely.

Despite the oily spots, I made the decision to go down to 10mg/EOD for the rest of the 3rd month, because my hair was starting to get dry, and I didn't want to get to the point where the hair starting getting nasty dry. After telling my derm about the oily spots, and my desire to go down to 10mg/EOD, she recommended that I use Retin-A Micro (0.04%) on just my forehead on days that I don't use Accutane, so that would provide a little more drying without having to up my Accutane dosage.

I did the 10mg/EOD of Accutane and Retin-A Micro EOD regimen for 2 weeks and it was going really great. I had virtually no irritation with the combo of the two products, and my skin tone was evening quite nicely. The problem though was that the oily spots on my forehead were still oily. Not even adding the Retin-A to the mix was helping the matter.

I went back to my derm to ask her advice and she said that I should probably cut out my daily moisturizer and just use a SPF30+ sunscreen. I did this for a week, which definitely helped. My skin wasn't oily enough anywhere to really require a moisturizer, so the sunscreen (Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch SPF30) and a gentle cleanser (Neutrogena Gentle Skin Cleanser) was good enough.

It's been a couple of days since I've done that and I'm less oily, but still oily nonetheless. I'm going to cut out all supplements I've been taking (Fish Oil, Vitamin C, Hair & Nail) and stick to an extremely bare bones regimen. Wash my face morning and night, use a sunscreen in the morning, and use Retin-A Micro at night every other day (and take 10mg of Accutane EOD).

Since the goal of this course was to be long term, I'm not going to go on more than 10mg EOD of Accutane, but I'm worried that it isn't enough to fully control my oil. I'm being really optimistic right now that either the low dose of Accutane needs more time to fully kick in, or that simplifying my daily regimen will balance things out.

Has anyone done (or doing) a very low dose course of Accutane and experienced a similar problem? I've read other resources about derms putting patients on 10-60mg/week of Accutane specifically for oily skin with great results, so I'm wondering what the problem is with my course.

I'll keep updating my log periodically in case others are interested, but I'd love to hear from others.

i'm takeing full course of accutane for 6 months and maybe 20mg/week after that for 5 years..recently i experienced thinning of hair which strike me having this intention to stop the accutane treatment..It's been a week since i stop accutane and oil is coming back. i had surfed for similiar cases around in the world for people taking accutane for years but low dosage maybe 10 or 20 mg per week and actually there are some hollywood stars taking extreme low dosage weekly for years.
the reason i stop my accutane since i had taking it for so long is because of hair loss and thinning of hairs..i'm not sure whther it is due to accutane or my age. But drugs are supposed to be bad for body, be it any drugs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users