vitamin vitamins vitamin b vitamin b3 vitamin a niacin fish oil zinc juicing

818 replies to this topic

#801 Nodoc

Nodoc

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:18 PM

Would it be harmful to take 500mg Niacin along with a dose of 60mg Accutane?

#802 doktrin

doktrin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:03 PM

Probably not the best idea.
60mg of Accutane is a not-insignificant burden on your liver as is.

#803 GetRidOfMyScars

GetRidOfMyScars

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:13 PM

Does niacin help improve your skin tone?

#804 Mr. Healthy

Mr. Healthy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:21 PM

Taking niacin has helped me pretty much cure my acne taking it along with other vitamins. 1 other thing that helped my skin was to sweat as much as I could every other day. Now that I have my acne pretty much under control I am trying to get improve my texture and get rid of marks/scars that I have. I barely have any money but I'm saving up. I'm worried I'm going to lose money on something that doesn't work. I'm thinking about saving up enough just to get laser treatment :/

#805 Fhrostie

Fhrostie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:12 AM

With the aspirin thing, are there any alternatives for it? I found a couple of it in the cabinet saying that it may cause Reye's disease to those that are younger than 19. I'm 17 and really frightened about using it, plus the flush thing. How am I suppose to decrease the effect without aspirins. Help! sad.gif

#806 OneTwoPassIt

OneTwoPassIt

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:38 PM

Are broken capillaries a side effect of niacin? I'm assuming it's what all these red marks are.

#807 Christina1976

Christina1976

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:52 PM

Hey everybody!

So glad to have found this thread. My acne has never been horrible up until about 1 year ago. Literally out of nowhere, both of my cheeks broke out in huge cysts that never surfaced. I don't know if it was changes in hormones or if it was the stress at the time, but my face started breaking out bad and the cysts never went away - they would just become inflamed for a week or so and go back to looking like normal pimples but NEVER SURFACED. I tried so many things: skincare regimen, diet, birth control, exercise, and while I saw short-term effects it never got rid of the cysts and eventually acne would pop back up. Namely I have 3-4 cysts on my left cheek that have always been there. I have even tried to get them extracted and it didn't work. I've gone to extremes using TCA peels on my cheeks and while it got rid of scarring, cysts never surfaced.

Finally, I decided to try Clinique's 3-step acne system and while it did seem to prevent more new pimples, I still had cysts and I was still getting pimples here or there. I started taking Niacin about a week ago and it has been amazing. I flushed pretty bad the first few days, but I would take the Niacin ten or 20 minutes before I cleansed, toned, and moisturized my face (it is so important to moisturize oily faces - please research if you aren't moisturizing). With niacin, I could almost feel my skin suck in all of the products. Even with the 3-step system and oil-control moisturizer my skin is almost dry. Not too dry, but it definitely doesn't look oily. Most importantly, my cysts have finally surfaced. These are cysts that I have had for OVER A YEAR. Even though they look completely gross as the white head starts to form, I can't be happier that they're finally getting to that point. I'm not breaking out nearly as bad and even as that time of the month is coming around, I'm not experiencing the break outs I'm used to.

Niacin is a great supplement to any skincare regimen. It's still very important to cleanse your face, tone it, and moisturize it as this restores the PH. I believe that Niacin just helps with the products being more effective to your skin and giving your skin the blood flow it needs to breathe and regenerate.

#808 onefatalgoose

onefatalgoose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:47 AM

Are broken capillaries a side effect of niacin? I'm assuming it's what all these red marks are.

Not sure if it's been said in this thread or not, but if anyone does go the niacin route (using nicotinic acid or any other flushing variety), you should be careful not to overdo it immediately in your pursuit of a quick fix. Gradually work your way up to the 500mg dose over a period of at least a month if not two. I've heard starting out too strong can potentially cause rosacea due to the sudden strain on the capillaries.

And if you take a multi vitamin with this, make sure it's one that is derived from whole, organic, raw foods. New Chapter Organics is a good brand, as well as Vitamin Code Raw Vitamins. I've used both. This way you get the vitamins as they are found in nature, and in the form that can be utilized most effectively by the body. Synthetic vitamins are not the same, and if the bottle doesn't state that the vitamins are from raw foods, they use synthetic vitamins, and incomplete vitamins for that matter.

We are nature, and our body's crave nature in it's purest form

Edited by onefatalgoose, 25 September 2012 - 03:49 AM.

#809 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:52 AM

Not sure if it's been said in this thread or not, but if anyone does go the niacin route (using nicotinic acid or any other flushing variety), you should be careful not to overdo it immediately in your pursuit of a quick fix. Gradually work your way up to the 500mg dose over a period of at least a month if not two. I've heard starting out too strong can potentially cause rosacea due to the sudden strain on the capillaries.

And if you take a multi vitamin with this, make sure it's one that is derived from whole, organic, raw foods. New Chapter Organics is a good brand, as well as Vitamin Code Raw Vitamins. I've used both. This way you get the vitamins as they are found in nature, and in the form that can be utilized most effectively by the body. Synthetic vitamins are not the same, and if the bottle doesn't state that the vitamins are from raw foods, they use synthetic vitamins, and incomplete vitamins for that matter.

We are nature, and our body's crave nature in it's purest form

really? Permanent rosacea?

#810 onefatalgoose

onefatalgoose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

really? Permanent rosacea?

Am trying to find the source i read that from. Still would be in people's best interest to start slowly as niacin is a major vasodilator (which i'm sure has already been covered in this discussion)

Will continue looking tho

#811 k3tchup

k3tchup

RN

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Code blue/rapid response, EKG's, teaching/learning,

movies, music, biking, walking, working with kids

Achievements

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:02 PM

Niacin can help although like most things megadosing without lifestyle change will not help you in the long run as you need to correct your body and recognize the signs its communicating to you.

Niacin will also have a plateau effect if not managed properly resulting in a tolerance like effect seen with prescription medications or even alcohol. Niaspan is basically a prescription form of Niacin for treatment of Hyperlipedemia or high lipids in the blood.
We should know that sebum is mostly composed of sterols and esters that are made from our triglycerides and other fats within our body. Now i write this as im basically dead from studying and such so don't get mad if im wrong. But by reducing the bad stuff like LDL cholestrol and increasing HDL it is possible/plausible that this effects our sebum make up making it less irriating and prone to causing inflammatory acne.

^So this is for any of those that are thinking of trying it. Just remember to be safe, acknowledge your current health and health problems. Start out with a moderate dose and see if it helps. Changing diet along with could help (you might even go through a detox stage).

Just remember to look for signs and symptoms while taking niacin. Large doses can act just like Rx meds. In Niacin's case it could act just like Niaspan and cause muscle atrophy, soreness, and progressive weakness. These are over time and increase in sedentary people. Most commonly affecting older adults but still watch out for it. And some even have an intolerance for such medications and have severe side effects that are life threatening to to much of a dose.

As far as flushing goes its possible the flushing kind works because the blood vessels dilate and are brought to the skins surface (i believe) and this causes increased blood perfusion. Also *might help lymph drainage. This is a suspected hypothese based on the information i have been reading regarding the lymphatic system and diseases (and acne). Athough that is a separate thread to which i could probably write pages on...

#812 callendula

callendula

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

Hello! I have the following :

Spring Valley Super B Complex

Vit C (ascorbic acid) 180mg

Vit B1 (thiamin mononitrate) 50mg

Vit B2 (riboflavin) 12.5mg

Vit B3 (niacinamind) 50mg

Vit B6 (pyrixodine hydrochloride) 5mg

Folate (folic acid) 400mcg

Vit B12 (cyanocobalamin) 12.5 mcg

Biotin 45mcg

Pantothenic acid (d-calcium pantothenate) 50mg

Is this a good blend? I only take 1 per day..as the B1 says it is 3333% of daily value, so don;t want to be overly aggressive. lol

Thanks!

#813 callendula

callendula

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

Also, I find the mention of fats and such interesting. Do I understand correctly, that fat in the body will be excreted through pores? Or that toxins are stored in fatty tissues. Flushing niacin can reach these fatty stores and remove the toxins?  I guess this was the science behind niacin flush to flush out the toxins. And that non flush didn't have this effect?

I watched a Dr Oz episode that mentioned that you can use diet to flush stored fat out. It was in regards to weight loss, but I'm wondering if it might be beneficial in this sense?  Basically, he said that certain foods calm the adrenals which in turn results in no cortisol rush (stress hormone). He suggested quinoa, oatmeal and such which are easy to digest and extract nutrients from. Apparently these foods put little to no stress on the body--stress can result in inflammation, etc.  He said veggies and proteins cause a fat flush--from fat that has been stored. In my thinking, you flush the fat, that also means the toxins stored in there. The blood stream then carries this off--I suppose to be filtered through the liver.

I'm not 100% clear on this, but sounds interesting in the sense that perhaps you don't need that flush in order to achieve. This seems like it would be much safer than taking high doses of niacin which in the form that opens fat stores can be dangerous from what i have read online. That type of niacin should be in prescript form.  Either way, i found it interesting enough to share and find out some thoughts!

Here is the episode online (5 parts, but put the 2 most relevant):

http://www.doctoroz....lism-slump-pt-3

http://www.doctoroz....lism-slump-pt-4

#814 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:12 AM

Topical niacinamide serum/cream is also supposed get rids pf acne fast

In one study, Niacinamide is also able to reduce the sebum excretion rate (SER) or the amount of oil that the glands pump out. The reduction in the sebum excretion rate also reduces the formation of clogged pores which causes blackheads and whiteheads. It also keeps the skin hydrated by preventing water loss thus niacinamide also acts like a moisturizer. Niacinamide is also a mild keratolytic agent which means that it also promotes mild shedding of the skin that prevents pore blockage. When skin is healthy, it usually doesn't feel the "need" to produce extra oils, and the whole balance is overall MUCH better.

Edited by Binga, 09 February 2013 - 04:12 AM.

#815 Hollywoodv1

Hollywoodv1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Hiking, Photography, Chemistry, School, Shooting, Rock Climbing, Fishing, Canoeing, Battlefield 3, Fitness, and Spirituality.

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

In one study, Niacinamide is also able to reduce the sebum excretion rate (SER) or the amount of oil that the glands pump out. The reduction in the sebum excretion rate also reduces the formation of clogged pores which causes blackheads and whiteheads. It also keeps the skin hydrated by preventing water loss thus niacinamide also acts like a moisturizer. Niacinamide is also a mild keratolytic agent which means that it also promotes mild shedding of the skin that prevents pore blockage. When skin is healthy, it usually doesn't feel the "need" to produce extra oils, and the whole balance is overall MUCH better.

Indeed, I've had some good responses to my complexion/acne before, from taking 500mg of Niacin a day for approx. a month last summer. The only problem was once I grew a tolerance I didn't really flush anymore and the benefits started to recede. Kudos on the info though!

#816 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

I tried 500mg niacin for a couple of weeks, but I didn't notice any help with my acne or wound healing and it was making me feel a bit sick, so I stopped. I tried it mostly because my skin healing after pimples had been poor for a while and I'd started to scar easily, and I thought that niacin may help the healing process by increasing circulation and thus help prevent scars. Since then, I've come to the realization that niacin supplements may not be a good idea for inflamed acne, even if it may improve acne on the whole by some unknown method. B3 causes an increase in histamine in tissues, which increases the permeability of capillaries and vasodilatation - this does increase circulation, but it also happens to be a major part of the inflammatory process. So it may be that niacin could worsen ongoing inflammation through this circulatory effect, rather than improve healing. It works in the opposite way of an antihistamine, which is what some doctors recommend to prevent acne scarring.

Anyway, long story short: I do believe that niacin could help acne in some way, but for me and for people that have healing or scarring issues, it may not work, and it could be even more harmful than good.

Now, what I'd like to do is cause facial flushing through exercise, but unfortunately I'm somewhat of a lazyass. Will hopefully improve though.

This was interesting. Sounds like it could be worth a try. I wonder what the mechanism behind its effects are.

#817 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Vitamin B5, B3/Niacinamide, A,C, E, Zinc, Green tea, thyme.  If there was a moisturizer or cream with all these ingredients than that would be the holy grail of all acne treatments.

Edited by Binga, 11 February 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#818 cindy2013

cindy2013

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

Is anyone still taking it??

#819 freshwatervalley

freshwatervalley

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

Anyone who suffers from acne should run to the store now and buy flusing niacin. It has CURED my acne completely. I am so happy. I take 500 mg in the morning before breakfast (taking it on an empty stomach gives me a much better flush) and 500 mg before dinner.

When I have a glass of wine before dinner, I make sure I eat and wait a few hours before I take my Niacin (right before bed).

Do not drink more than one alcoholic beverage and do not take Niacin within 2 hours before or after the alcohol as it is hard on your liver.

Niacin is the ONLY thing that helps my acne. I am 30 yrs old and have suffered from acne since I was 17. Birth control pill helped somewhat, but Niacin does a much better job keeping my skin clear and truly beautiful.

The non-flush or time released one does NOT do the trick. The time released one from nature's bounty made my throw up really bad, like 7 times on an empty stomach, it was horrible.

The 500 mg Niacin from GNC is very clean, very nice stuff, I swear by this brand. It is affordable, too.

Good luck, I hope you all have the same amazing, life-changing results I have been having with Niacin. Take it once and any pimple you have will immediately go away from the inside. And then take it for the rest of your life. It reduces cholesterol levels, gives energy, and even helps with metabolism!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users