vitamin vitamins vitamin b vitamin b3 vitamin a niacin fish oil zinc juicing

818 replies to this topic

#781 pegz

pegz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:23 PM

So the conclusion is this stuff only works temporarily?

BTW if you want to increase blood flow to your skin, particularly your face, then try standing on your head. surprised.gif

#782 epicdermis

epicdermis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:35 PM

Came across something interesting: http://www.acne.org/...ce-t299107.html

Short version: A company is claiming to have identified the cause of acne as sebum viscosity. When we reach puberty, hormone production increases, and steroid hormones (like testosterone) are related to cholesterol. They say that our bodies also start to produce more lipids (I'm assuming this means LDLs) and triglycerides, which increases the viscosity of our sebum and starts to clog pores more. Therefore, if you can target the liver to stop producing lipids, sebum viscosity should decrease and our pores will clog less.

It seems like they're withholding the active ingredient in their "cure" because they are trying to patent it, but it's pretty clear that they're describing niacin (funny that we discovered it first). Even if they aren't, it explains why niacin seems to be beneficial to acne--niacin raises HDL levels while lowering LDLs, VLDLs, and triglycerides. It also raises growth hormone, although I'm not sure if that would affect acne at all.

pegz: What do you mean by temporarily? Yes, the flush will start to wear off after continued use, but fortunately the flush has nothing to do with healing your acne and is just an inconvenient side effect. You can even take aspirin half an hour before taking the niacin to reduce the flushing.

#783 lllhhk

lllhhk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:16 PM

http://drbenkim.com/...culation-ms.htm

Maybe this is why Niacin helps in general.

B3 didn't work for me thgh.

#784 pegz

pegz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (epicdermis @ Jul 3 2011, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
pegz: What do you mean by temporarily? Yes, the flush will start to wear off after continued use, but fortunately the flush has nothing to do with healing your acne and is just an inconvenient side effect. You can even take aspirin half an hour before taking the niacin to reduce the flushing.

No, I wasn't talking about the flush at all. I was talking about the effectiveness of Niacin on acne longterm. If you read through this entire thread you'll find that the OP ends up saying that it basically stopped working for him (and he was pretty much the first person here to start using Niacin.)

Edited by pegz, 05 July 2011 - 09:56 PM.

#785 suli105

suli105

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:13 PM

Hey guys!

Do not buy the product but go to to www. dermaadvance.com and check out the "Derma Science" tab at the top. They are basically selling you Niacin in the form of Nicotinic Acid and calling it THE CURE for acne.
This explains beautifully the science of Nicotinic acid (flush Niacin) in a way that makes perfect sense. As you all know, flush Niacin is recommended to lower bad cholesterol levels. What you may not know is that Cholesterol is essentially what all hormones, fats, lipids and tryglycerides are made of!! It all makes perfect sense now! Like someone mentioned above, more cholesterol production increases oil viscosity (dense, thickness) of sebum which is what (for some) actually clogs your pores, not the simple fact that you produce oil. (Have you ever noticed there are oily people with clear skin) Cholesterol is produced mainly in the liver. Perhaps the people that can eat whatever the hell they want are able to because their livers manage cholesterol production better than a person who has acne. (Could that be hereditary?) Our livers are not metabolizing fats, overproducing lipids, tryglycerides and are overproducing hormones with all that cholesterol. Also, when I researched one of the probable causes of increased/uncontrolled androgens (leading to more sebum)I discovered that SHBG is a hormone responsible for lowering active androgens and that its production in the body is now thought to be affected by the production of lipids in the liver. More sugars+ carbs = more fats lipids produces by liver. This also ties in with insulin resistance which you all know can also be a cause of acne. Too much sugar and carbs foces the liver to take charge and store these sugars as fats. Niacin helps control these fats because it helps the liver with their metabolism before they are forced to be excreted through the sabaceous glands. When I saw that the science of this product linked all my research together, I immediately bought the product not realizing that Nicotinic acid is more commonly known as B3 (the site never called it this) and that I could buy it at any store. I felt like a total sucker after I googled Nicotinic acid and found this thread!
Please, if you're intrested in the science behind Niacin, check out this site's research to better help you understand, you may find its very true to your case. But please, run off to the store and get you some cheaper niacin at the fraction of the price! Its insane that they want to charge you 22 bucks for 31 pills!
I took their product for the first time yesterday and had the worst experience of my life. 500mg of Niacin is one of the scariest things to experience with a vitamin. My flush was like a scorching iron all over my skin. I took it before I went to bed as per instructions, because, as the research will tell you, the liver processes lipids during the night (which explains why I usually have my zits appear over night vs develop over the day)
Guys, their research has an excellent knowledge base, makes a lot of sense and has a lot of information supported by other souces I'm sure you all have seen. I have a good feeling flush Niacin will take care of my problems. I'll be back to update. Oh, and, for those who are taking the non flush kind- It is said that there is not much research to back up that that form of niacin affects cholesterol levels, so it may be why it did not work for you. Try the flush kind - (NICOTINIC ACID) . The flush has nothing to do with the effectiveness! Its merely a side effect. But the flush kind simply has more active Nicotinic acid than the non flush, which is why it will not work as well.

P.S So you dont think I'm affiliated with the company-

I''ve always used acne.org as a guest and was finally compelled to register when I wanted to reply to this thread.
I've had acne since I was 13 and am now 24. I have 8 sisters (I'm in the middle) and they all have severe acne. After much research and info, I have established that our acne is strictly hormal. On the pursuit of what causes my hormones to be off balance while not the next person who eats crap, I ran into insulin resistance, which led me to diet, which led me to sugars= fats + completely whacked out endocrine system, which led me to the liver, which led me to conclude that by hereditary factors, something is wrong with my ability to metobolize sugars, overproduce androgens, and metabolize fats/hormones in general. All to do with diet, endocrine system, and liver. Guys, its a chain of events. Research it. Its fascinating.

P.S. S The only thing that has ever been able to clear my skin has been oral contraceptives. (which led me to discovering my acne was hormonal) This is because, in a nutshell, estrogen = less LH = More SHBG= less testosterone. Those are all homones by the way. Research it.
I went off OC's because of weight gain after 3yrs and whatta ya know- Cysts galore all over my face. This is what started me on my research.
Also, my email is quickly written so I know it will come off as a lot to say with very little support, but look up this information for yourself, you will see it has a factual basis.

Edited by suli105, 07 July 2011 - 04:18 PM.

#786 epicdermis

epicdermis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:30 PM

Here is a theory proposed by a member here which could link everything together:

http://www.acne.org/...ne-t145839.html

It's possible that the genetic aspect of acne has to do with how our bodies treat fats. For some people, all fat seems to be stored in the adipose tissue and builds up over time. For others, the liver might secrete LDLs, triglycerides, and so on into the blood, but the lipids are not excreted through the sebaceous glands.

Interestingly, he noted that acne sufferers tend to have decreased risk of heart disease. Many (not all) people with acne also tend to be skinny. It could be that excretion of fats through the sebaceous glands is our bodies' means of lowering serum lipids.

Personally, I am convinced niacin works for me. I'm a little worried about taking high doses without checking in with a doctor, though, because nicotinic acid is a little hard on your liver. I wouldn't take doses any higher than 500 mg, and I'm considering going down to 250 mg.

suli: The flush is pretty painful the first couple of times, but it's completely harmless and just lets you know your body absorbed the niacin.

Edited by epicdermis, 07 July 2011 - 04:35 PM.

#787 suli105

suli105

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:42 PM

Epic- yes! I think we are definitely understanding something. Interestingly enough I am skinny, but curiosly enough am thick around the mid section. My wrist and legs are anorexic thin, as a child I was one of those kids that could eat all I wanted and not gain weight. (I hated it,btw) I can definitely tell my liver overstores fats in adipose tissue there and perhaps, because its run out of room there, or does not get around to breaking them down, has also resorted to my sabaceous glands. I have two friends who eat crap all the time and are thick, but evenly dispersed, signs that their bodies manage fats well and/or may have normal SHBG levels as a result. Their skin is gorgeous. I really hope it gets better... thanks for the encouragement. After last night I had made up my mind that I was nver doing that "crazy crap" again! Lol. Never saay never. Re-reading through this thread gave me guts to want to try it again. What if its my cure! -Today the big nodules I had on my forehead came to head and dried out, they were super easy to squeeze! I had little to none oil production! After one day. Whoah.

Oh and as for the fat metabolism being a genetic predisposition, greatly think so. All my sisters are anorexic skinny with the fat waists and the severe acne. Goes to show genes definitely played a roll there.

Edited by suli105, 07 July 2011 - 09:14 PM.

#788 Sad_one

Sad_one

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:32 AM

Can you advise me where I can find the proper Niacin. I'm from Europe and I want to ship it. Thank you very much.

#789 suli105

suli105

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE (Sad_one @ Jul 8 2011, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can you advise me where I can find the proper Niacin. I'm from Europe and I want to ship it. Thank you very much.

Sad one, are you asking me? If so, the niacin I mentioned above can be found anywhere I'm sure, online or in stores. Just be sure that in the nutritional facs its reads the Niacin is from *Nicotinic acid. This is the flush and most active form of niacin for the purposes we mentioned above. For best results it is advised that you take it between 4pm or later, when your liver starts metabolizing.

#790 Sad_one

Sad_one

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (suli105 @ Jul 8 2011, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sad one, are you asking me? If so, the niacin I mentioned above can be found anywhere I'm sure, online or in stores. Just be sure that in the nutritional facs its reads the Niacin is from *Nicotinic acid. This is the flush and most active form of niacin for the purposes we mentioned above. For best results it is advised that you take it between 4pm or later, when your liver starts metabolizing.

How about this http://www.vitaminsh....jsp?id=TL-1277 or this one https://www.vitaminw...n-500-mg-018645 (there is a label https://www.vitaminw...s/018645VW.pdf)?
Thank you for your help

Edited by Sad_one, 08 July 2011 - 04:43 PM.

#791 Guest_davidtheskinking_*

Guest_davidtheskinking_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:35 PM

Niacin is amazing, I remember the first niacin flush I had... It's funny because I got a REAL niacin flush! I got a batch of a niacin supplement where they had the concentration of the niacin wrong so it was really strong.

I actually took this supplement, a drink and within 5 minutes my arms legs and neck and a few other places on my body turned hot and the skin became red.... It really flushed my body and it actually felt kind of cool.

The dosage I took was way stronger than what is recommended i'm sure but just seeing that and feeling the movement and seeing my skin change like that you know that it's good.

I can see this really helping and benefiting clearing up acne and getting clear skin again.

Niacin also helps with the digestive system as well as the skin which is crucial if you really want to clear up your acne for good so that it doesn't come back.

helps circulation, digestive tract, nervous system and the skin.

Getting it in a supplement is great, but I recommend including it in foods in your diet as well so you get enough of it without thinking about it.

#792 tyme

tyme

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:57 PM

it worked for me for a little while but only temporarily. my acne came back...

#793 pegz

pegz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (tyme @ Jul 9 2011, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it worked for me for a little while but only temporarily. my acne came back...

This is what many people have reported.

#794 suli105

suli105

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:36 PM

QUOTE (Sad_one @ Jul 8 2011, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about this or this one (there is a label ?
Thank you for your help

Sad one, the first one doesn't say what form of niacin it is on the label, and I can't open the page for the second one. Just go into google, click on the "shopping" tab and type in "Nicotinic acid" you will find tons that read this on the label.

#795 Sad_one

Sad_one

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:51 AM

QUOTE (suli105 @ Jul 9 2011, 08:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for your help

Sad one, the first one doesn't say what form of niacin it is on the label, and I can't open the page for the second one. Just go into google, click on the "shopping" tab and type in "Nicotinic acid" you will find tons that read this on the label.

On the label written:
Serving Size 1 Caplet
Amount Per Serving %Daily Value
Niacin 500 mg 2,500%
(as Nicotinic Acid)

So I think I should take this one

#796 suli105

suli105

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE (Sad_one @ Jul 9 2011, 05:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (suli105 @ Jul 9 2011, 08:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for your help

On the label written:
Serving Size 1 Caplet
Amount Per Serving %Daily Value
Niacin 500 mg 2,500%
(as Nicotinic Acid)

So I think I should take this one

Looks good to me!

#797 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:25 PM

its another bandwagon thread!!!!! they are only huge because they are huge!!! its like being famous for being famous, like paris hilton, kardashions, etc, ad nauseam, no talent whores, marginally beautiful, little intelligence, no substance.

kind of like this thread, only, niacin is kind of cool, not for acne though, for raising hdl to treat or prevent heart disease.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980, 09 July 2011 - 12:28 PM.

#1.critical nutritional issues- b12(three forms exist), Calcium(yogurt, cheese or calcium phosphate supps) and vitamin d(sun or supps not to exceed 1000 iu). heme iron-most absorbable from meat only, clams are high. these are the most difficult vitamins to get and absorb. All others or about the same in difficulty in absorption. MAgnesium in our food supply is generally low as well, try natural calm supps.
#2 Fats- monounsaturated should dominate(olives), followed by polyunsaturated plant sources(nuts) but not if you have acne. the health benefits of fish oil and fish are controversial and i dont consume them due to mercury contamination and immune supression avoid processed fats if possible.
#3 Protein/amino acids- dairy and eggs best sources for tryptophan and methionine which convert to powerful antioxidants melatonin and glutathione.
#4 Carotenoids- alpha- beta carotene, beta cryptoxanthin, lutein zeaxanthin, astaxanthin. these are vital to human nutrition, carrots, butternut squash, pumpkin, chili pepper and cayenne pepper are the best sources.
#5 Regularity-BM at least once a day, Moist, large stools, 1 piece ideal, no maldigestion, no floating stools indicative of maldigested fat. HOW- insoluble fiber- wheat and cooked vegetables. soluble fiber-oats/ good bacteria ferment soluble fiber making short chain fatty acids that inhibit pathogens.
#6 Circadian cycles-Light, get up with the sun, and expose your entire body to it. darkness-melatonin is released upon the sensing of absolute darkness. sleep in a pitch black room, try to ensure 10 hours total darkness, wear sunglasses before bed. do not eat too late at night.
#7 Desirable physiological states(positive moods/emotions) do precisely what you like and what feels good to you, but not regardless of consequences, just from a perspective that, you own your life, and can determine precisely what you do with it and need not answer or ask of permission from anyone,achieving maximum autonomy and self government.

#798 epicdermis

epicdermis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:26 PM

...raising HDLs and lowering LDLs, which, by your own theory, should help prevent acne.

You know what else is a bandwagon? Breathing.

#799 Guest_davidtheskinking_*

Guest_davidtheskinking_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:10 PM

Niacin also does more,

My first niacin flush was cool, an interesting experience.

It helps improve the digestive system and the digestion and absorption/utilization of fats, proteins and carbohydrates too.

It also improves memory and brain function (kinda cool)

And it also really improves circulation.

On top of that it balances out blood sugar levels which is good because when your blood sugar levels aren't balanced the insulin and androgens cause a hormonal swing which causes too much fluctuation in sebum (oil skin produces) as well as skin cell regeneration and skin cell breakdown (old skin cells) so this is crucial.

Anything that is natural to the body that balances the blood sugar levels is a good thing in clearing up acne.

I made a video sharing my story and how it helps you:
*moderator edit*

Hope this helps you!

David

#800 doktrin

doktrin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:44 PM

I actually bought some niacin after coming across that company's press release.
Note that they specifically mention taking 500mg of sustained-release niacin around 10pm.

I will say it did seem to work fairly well, however I grew concerned over taking SR niacin due to the fairly well published (albeit, rare) incidences of liver damage.

IR (immediate release / 'normal') niacin does not pose nearly as much risk, however, and is also incidentally better at raising HDL.

Below is an interesting 2007 study regarding the relationship between cholesterol / total / HDL / LDL / triglycerides and acne :
http://www.google.co...=...8Dg&cad=rja

TL;DR : 'severe' acne patients have lower HDL and higher LDL than non-acne sufferers. I believe there was also some tentative link regarding triglyceride levels.

Personal anecdote : I recalled a cholesterol blood test from years back when my GP basically said "everything seems allright, but your HDL is a little low".

At the end of the day, I doubt this will eliminate my breakouts (I am having one now, having switched off of the SR niacin).

Bottom line : this is a fairly inexpensive 'cure attempt', and should be safe if practiced conscientiously. If I interpreted the research correctly, incidences of liver damage while on SR niacin occurred in the 1,000mg range. That said, better safe than sorry. The IR formulation should cause no problems at the 500mg dose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users