Photo

how long do your cyst take to heal, typically?

cyst cortisone

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 leonnie

leonnie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:42 AM

I have a cyst/lump under my lips. about 6 mm on the outside, red and painful, huge under the skin. I've had it for three days. I take ibuprofen twice a day; topically: bp, and an ointment with vaseline, and 3 antibiotics in it (neomycin, bacitracin, polymyxin b). I've also tried icing the monster (not long, like 10 min), but it became more red after that. It doesn't change. I'm so scared will take forever to heal, cause it feels so big under the skin. I don't want a cortisone shot, because I have a tendency to scar.
So I was thinking, how long do you typically have your cysts?

#2 leonnie

leonnie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:00 AM

a mistake in the topic redface.gif I meant "how long do your cysts take to heal, typically?" that's the evil creature on my face interferes with my grammatical skills...obviously. I wonder what else it will make me do..maybe it will grow as big as my face and will start thinking on its own...ha ha

#3 CilLA

CilLA

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (leonnie @ Jul 9 2009, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
a mistake in the topic redface.gif I meant "how long do your cysts take to heal, typically?" that's the evil creature on my face interferes with my grammatical skills...obviously. I wonder what else it will make me do..maybe it will grow as big as my face and will start thinking on its own...ha ha

lol.. I had one of those. It actually got so big under my skin that my bottom lip was swollen. I ran to the dermatologist and got a cortison shot and it was basically down by the next day. I've never scarred from it though. Do you think that your dermatologist is doing it corrcetly?

Those things will not budge for weeks. If you cant get the shot the only thing I can say is try warm compresses. It's supposed to increase the blood flow in the affected area and speed up the healing process.

I also think tea tree oil helps.

#4 leonnie

leonnie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:42 AM

thx for the advice CilLA! I will try tea tree oil. I'll buy it tomorrow, if I find it.
about the compresses...I get confused, some say cold some say warm. I'm afraid of making it more red this way, or inflamed.
i think I'll give it a week, if nothing changes, or if it grows...(please don't!) i'm going to the dermatologist

#5 help3

help3

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:20 AM

QUOTE (leonnie @ Jul 9 2009, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thx for the advice CilLA! I will try tea tree oil. I'll buy it tomorrow, if I find it.
about the compresses...I get confused, some say cold some say warm. I'm afraid of making it more red this way, or inflamed.
i think I'll give it a week, if nothing changes, or if it grows...(please don't!) i'm going to the dermatologist

Heat wil make it pop faster, cold wil reduce the size and bring it down.
Depence how far the pimple is. For me, i never heat, because poping often leads to scarring.

I have hade great succes with icing, just make sure the ice is protected so your skin doesnt get irritated because its to cold.

Also make sure your ONLY touch the zit, if I use ice to reduce a zit and touch the surrounding area I get a nodule next to the zit.

AHA also works for me sometimes, yesterday I stopped a nose cyst smile.gif

Grtz

#6 brittbrat4416

brittbrat4416

Britbrat

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE (leonnie @ Jul 9 2009, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a cyst/lump under my lips. about 6 mm on the outside, red and painful, huge under the skin. I've had it for three days. I take ibuprofen twice a day; topically: bp, and an ointment with vaseline, and 3 antibiotics in it (neomycin, bacitracin, polymyxin b). I've also tried icing the monster (not long, like 10 min), but it became more red after that. It doesn't change. I'm so scared will take forever to heal, cause it feels so big under the skin. I don't want a cortisone shot, because I have a tendency to scar.
So I was thinking, how long do you typically have your cysts?

Have you gone to see a derm yet? I had a huge one too on my forehead and my derm didn't want to give me a corizone shot for the same reason, but instead gave me a perscription for prednisone. I took the recommended dosage and it was flat within 5 days. I"m not saying that will work for everyone, but I would definetly recommend going to your derm if its painful or if it won't go away. They will be able to give you alternatives to the cortizone shot. I'm not sure if any topical treatments really help with cysts.

#7 leonnie

leonnie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:03 AM

thanks help3, I appreciate. I think I don't want it to pop. I just want it to start getting smaller. I bought tea tree oil today. I hope it works. I used some warm compresses yesterday. It didn't shrink. Maybe I'll try cold compresses again. Maybe I just want the results too quickly. The worst thing is I can feel another one growing on my right cheek. I'm freaking out. I've never had cyctic (or nodular or whatev acne). I used to have lots of regular (I think) pimples, blackheads and whiteheads. It started getting better with diet changes, regular cycling (good for stress), no picking. About a week ago I didn't have any active zits, just scars, from about 14 years (I'm 26 now) of constant acne and some mistakes during those years like picking (stupid, I know). and now this...cysts and scars. just gross...

#8 leonnie

leonnie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:08 AM

no, i haven't seen my derm yet. if nothing changes during the weekend, I'll go.

#9 MarijaGre

MarijaGre

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:52 PM

I had a cyst that lasted two months. Usually for people it heal after a week or so, but somehow my acne heals veeery slow.

#10 gtturbo2

gtturbo2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:56 PM

months

#11 Chris1337

Chris1337

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:24 AM

ive had a dime size one on my forhead for about 2 weeks. Its not active but the healing precess is SO slow. I only get a few REALLY big ones but since they take so long to heal by the time i get rid of one, theres another in its place. They take an average of 3 weeks to a month for me. The largest one I've every had was on my upper chin under my lip, was as big as 2 pennys next to eachother since they like fused together. Was horrible, right before prom =(

#12 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:25 AM

It depends, I used to get ones that would heal in a 2-3 weeks, some even a month or two, especially when I tried to pop them, probably spreading the infection.

#13 Chris1337

Chris1337

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:00 PM

It depends, I used to get ones that would heal in a 2-3 weeks, some even a month or two, especially when I tried to pop them, probably spreading the infection.

I just tried to pop mine. It looked like it would go =( I tried, it didnt go, i saw it was getting close and i was already invested, went all the way. Lots of blood and now its like just got there. set me back 2 weeks. Im a dumbass

#14 Siouxsie

Siouxsie

Ice Queen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:13 PM

Anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months to fully heal....the larger it is, the longer it takes to heal. Happily for me, they stop being so painful after a few weeks.

Oh, I should actually differentiate between cysts & nodules.....cysts seem to "turn into" nodules if I leave them alone (ie. no picking/popping). The pus pushes itself to the surface, dries out & then flakes off (gross, I know). However, the red, swollen bump remains for awhile, slowing flattening out. Nodules do the same, but thankfully have no pus (they seem more likely to resurrect themselves however; scarier to me than any zombie!), and they seem to take even longer to flatten out.

Nature of the Beast: Moderate, inflammatory, several cysts, large pores & very oily
Current Status: Very mild overall, with some red marks & mild "bumpiness" on chin (possible scarring).
Use: Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Facial Cleanser or Acne.org Cleanser / Acne.org 2.5% BP day & night / Acne.org Moisturizer for day / DHC Cleansing Oil or Neutrogena Towlettes to remove makeup at night / Oil of Olay Regenerist Night Creme at night

Makeup: Stila Stay All Day Foundation in Light 2 or Beige 3. Cover FX compact powder in 10.

-----

"People understand me so little that they do not even understand when I complain of being misunderstood." - Søren Kierkegaard