Photo

Alcohol

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#21 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 18 July 2004 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE(hobo2alpha @ Jul 18 2004, 03:27 AM)
There is nothing healthy about beer or wine or liquor. !

Well, I thought that small amounts of alcohol was good for your heart.
Who wants to be normal? Who wants normal results? We want to be exceptional. Exceptions confirm what is not normal

#22 hobo2alpha

hobo2alpha

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2004 - 12:23 PM

what chemicals or nutrients would be "healthy" for your heart?

i really don't know, so i'm just wondering why research points to this.

#23 ritzvin

ritzvin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2004 - 06:46 PM

hmm..an interesting article: http://www.medicalne...php?newsid=9626 Here's some quotes from it:

Purple grape juice can give the benefits without the intoxicating effects, as grape juice contains more resveratrol, a supposed cholesterol lowering substance, than most red wine. Grape juice improves the function of the cells in blood vessel linings more efficiently than wine. Andrew Weil, M.D., internationally recognized expert on health, suggests that grape juice may prove to be healthier than wine because a study found that after drinking nonalcoholic wine, the catechin, an antioxidant flavonoid, remained for almost an hour longer in the blood than when drinking the alcoholic wine.

When compared to beer or liquor drinkers, and even non-drinkers, those who happen to drink wine have lifestyles that are healthier. Wine drinkers are thinner and have more normal weights, they exercise more, smoke less, have a higher intake of fruits, vegetables and salads, have a higher education and socio-economic status, eat less saturated fat (fewer servings of red or fried meats) and more fiber, have normal cholesterols, drink less alcohol, often work in white collar jobs and are in better health than the rest of the population.

Those individuals who drink wine also happen to be more well adjusted, less neurotic and depressed, and have a higher I.Q. These many lifestyle factors that account for improved health make the use of wine no longer significant.

The Copenhagen City Heart Study, which looked at Danes' drinking habits in the late 1970s, may have been particularly vulnerable to socio-economic skewing. At the time, wine drinking was just starting to catch on in a traditionally beer-drinking nation, and was probably limited to the upper classes even more than now, argues Dr. Erik Mortensen of the Institute of Preventive Medicine of Copenhagen, leader of the Danish study.

-------------------------
http://www.drdaveanddee.com/wine1.html

The antioxidant, "resveratrol", is in grapes. Resveratrol lowers the "bad" LDL cholesterol, but elevates the "good" HDL cholesterol levels.

Some research has pointed out that cranberry juice, red or purple grape juice work as well, maybe better, than red wine. However, fresh grapes do not have as high a concentration of antioxidants as processed grape juice or wine.

Note, 2 cups of tea have approximately the equivalent antioxidant as 2 glasses of purple grape juice, or 2 glasses of red wine, or 12 glasses of white wine.

99.5% Clear (skin gets 'congested' PMS week, but no actual breakouts)
---------------------------
Fragrance-Free Baby Wipes + a few drops Rimmel Makeup Remover solution
3/4 AHA Toner* & 1/4 Glycerin (cotton pad) -- good toner, moisturizer, and makeup base (use less glycerin if not under makeup)
Occasional Treatments (2-3x/week): Exfoliating bp wash* in shower, 2.5% bp lotion* at night
CoverGirl TruBlend Powder Foundation
* = Klear Action Kit (Pro-Activ knockoff)
Gluten-free diet (for non-acne reasons, but it seems to have cleared my acne)

#24 GoldRex

GoldRex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2004 - 07:57 PM

This sounds an awul lot like the French Paradox. It's not alcohol that comprises that French Paradox-- it's the antioxidant value in the red wine which just happens to be alocholic, and may, because of that alcohol content, be furnished with a strong carrier agent.

#25 homerfan33

homerfan33

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 19 July 2004 - 12:49 AM

I think it's pretty well accepted that red wine, in moderation (say, one glass per night) is good for you. Especially your heart. As GoldRex pointed out, it has antioxidant qualities. Of course, you can get similar antioxidants from things like pomegranate juice.

Alcohol breaks me out as well. There are many possible reasons why - it slows down your metabolism, if affects your liver, and what ritzvin said about alcohol's effect on the endocrine system.

Like many other things (chocolate, red meat, etc.), alcohol aggravates acne only in *some* people.