63 replies to this topic

#41 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:08 PM

Huffington Post article: http://www.huffingto...a_b_822163.html

Another one primarily about sugar and dairy. But there's a little bit about other factors like nutrients.

Edited by alternativista, 01 August 2011 - 01:10 PM.

#42 WishClear127

WishClear127

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (*`*~ABG Fairy~*`* @ Jul 5 2009, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great thread idea!! smile.gif

Dermatologists, Dr William Danby and Dr. Valori Treloar are mentioned in the articles below, which advocate no dairy and a low-glycemic diet. One article states, "Treloar and Danby say they can count on both hands the number of US dermatologists and researchers who lend their voices and efforts to helping prove a food-acne connection." That statement alone shows that the diet-acne connection isn't being taken seriously. Until that changes, when it comes to diet, people are better off listening to the experiences of other acne sufferers and their conclusions... or to the few derms that believe in the diet-acne connection!

A Clear Connection?Most dermatologists tell their patients diet plays no role in acne. New research suggests that's wrong.

How a pint of milk a day can give you acne

Now.... if only the derms would investigate the role of cruciferous veggies and their powerful ability to help clear skin!! Dr. Joel Fuhrman is one doctor who admits to cruciferous vegetables being crucial in the recovery of his patients with acne. Below is an article with an example.

Acne: Diet a Major Determining Factor...

I feel like a lot of dermatologists do understand that there can be an acne-diet relationship. However, when a patient goes to a dermatologist, are they seeking nutrition or diet advice? More likely than not, they want a prescription for a medication. Patients do not want to pay a copay just to hear the doctor say "stay away from dairy" (ect) because the patient can research and experiment with their diet without taking the time to see a dermatologist. I think it should really be up to the individual to take responsibility for their health and diet (and not just for controlling acne). Perhaps if a diet change does not work, though, that's when individuals should ideally seek a dermatologist for medication.

Edited by WishClear127, 01 August 2011 - 01:27 PM.

#43 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:35 PM

^Many of us have gone to dermatologists asking about diet, food intolerances and other factors. And the average dermatologist will tell you that they have no affect on your acne. Dr. Nancy Sneiderman on the Today show recently said so and has a book out on medical myths in which she says there is no connection between diet and acne.

True, the average person does want a pill or cream to make it go away, but that is no excuse for ignorance or bad doctoring. Especially since it's ridiculous to even think that there's no connection. It is not possible for there to not be a connection. It's how your body gets the nutrients it needs to function. Or not. In most cases, not.

And people won't know that diet is a factor when they are constantly told that it isn't. I was told that for decades. And I had acne for decades, despite all kinds of prescription medications.

I agree that we should take responsibility for our own health. In fact it's vital, because conventional medicine is getting more and more useless.

Edited by alternativista, 06 January 2014 - 09:01 AM.

#44 Panic!!

Panic!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:45 PM

Great thread idea Alterna.

Dr. Mark Hyman is another good one that talks about the diet, gut health acne connection

Here's a link to one of his youtube's that first got me thinking about one of the causes of skin issues.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=BMnparqmJ5I

I still can't figure out if I have a dairy intolerance or a dairy allergy. All I know is if I eat it, I break out, so I avoid it the same way you avoid certain citrus fruits.

Interestingly everyone in my family except my dad has no issues with dairy. My dad is moderately lactose intolerant, so I'm guessing that as I'm aging I'm going down a similar path to him, where as my mom and sister have no issues with it.

I also agree about the Weston A Price stuff being a bit of quackery. There's lots of posts on the net talking about raw milk, raw butter and their benefit to skin health. No matter what form of dairy I eat, I will break out. Interestingly when I was drinking raw milk (1-2 glasses a day) I got more of what appeared to be a rash across my forehead. So again that could be a intolerance to casein or a straight up milk allergy. As soon as I stopped it, the rash like pimples (very small) disappeared over night.

But I also was getting big cysts from cheese or other cultured forms of dairy.

Now days I stick to a dairy/gluten free diet and stay 100% clear no matter what I eat, how much sleep or how little water I drink.

Intolerances are the only answer I have been able to come up with...

#45 spacemind

spacemind

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:25 AM

I am 100% convinced that there is a link between dairy and acne. The bad thing about dairy is the fact that it's pretty hard to stand by it, because you have to avoid : sugars, fried food, fast food, fatty foods, bread, milk, cheese. These might seem like a few things to avoid but sugars or fats are almost in every product out there.

Anyway, cutting to the chase :
I never had a breakout or a new pimple while I was on a dairy. And I mean like never, but there were periods when I just forget and start eating again fast foods, sugars, etc and breakouts start to appear. I'm thinking that avoiding them completely isn't a good idea because your body needs it, so I'll get my sugars from fruits, I'll get my fats from fish, I'll get my proteins from egg whites, I'll get my vitamins from vegetables and lemon.

Have a strong will with this and you'll see the improvements after 1 week.

Think about it from this perspective : you have acne, but your acne will determine you to have a healthy lifestyle, to take care of yourself, to have a great personality. If it's gone completely by 24,25 years I think it's totally worth it. wink.gif cheers

#46 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:42 AM

See the acne/dairy thread:

http://www.acne.org/...58#entry3134858

But do not ignore the many other factors that contribute to acne because they are also very bad for your health: elevated blood sugar/insulin resistance, inflammation, poor sleep, stress, etc.

#47 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:39 AM

Not a doctor but a mainstream skin care expert, Paula Begoun aka the Cosmeticscop is now telling people that there is a diet connection. After many years of telling people diet had no affect.

http://www.cosmetics...auty Exclusives

This one is primarily about sugar. I don't get why they always want to fixate on one factor when there are many involved in acne.

Edited by alternativista, 03 August 2011 - 08:32 PM.

#48 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~Acne Be Gone Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I have a certificate in plant-based nutrition through eCornell and the T. Colin Campbell Foundation. I am very interested in nutrition and am a big believer in a mostly plant-based diet. I look forward to increasing my knowledge further as time goes by! :)

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:50 AM

^ I really like her skin-care products, but she is very mainstream and certainly so with her dietary advice as well. It's sad that dairy, a well-known acne trigger food, was put in the maybe category. At least sugars (simple carbohydrates) were listed as being a no-no, because that's a huge factor. I was impressed at least with the list of foods she listed as skin-friendly and agreed with most. Hopefully people will pay more attention to that part of the article. smile.gif

#49 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:34 AM

This thread is a discussion of a 2009 paper written by a panel of world experts called 'Recent Advances in the Pathogenesis of Acne.' There's some on diet, but a lot on inflammation and types of immune response being at the root of acne formation.

http://www.acne.org/...-P-t298075.html

And as we all know, much of said inflammation and immune response is triggered by diet.

Edited by alternativista, 30 August 2011 - 07:05 PM.

#50 Hope77

Hope77

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:24 AM

This is a great thread Alternavista! Thank you for sharing with us, I've learned so much. If only I knew these things years ago.

#51 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:51 PM

So I was in a supermarket checkout line and flipped through the current issue of Prevention magazine. It had a brief article on acne and under diet, it mentioned that the glycemic impact of meals and dairy were factors in acne.

I didn't note the author, doctor or studies cited.

#52 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:58 PM

This is a very good article by a Dr Mark Hymen. I don't know anything about him but he seems to be a regular for the Huffington Post.

http://www.huffingto...a_b_822163.html

#53 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~Acne Be Gone Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I have a certificate in plant-based nutrition through eCornell and the T. Colin Campbell Foundation. I am very interested in nutrition and am a big believer in a mostly plant-based diet. I look forward to increasing my knowledge further as time goes by! :)

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

Wow - the above article by Dr. Mark Hymen is the best article on acne by an M.D. I have ever read. Not only does he mention avoiding dairy and eating a low-glycemic diet, but he mentions other key factors as well. Below is a summary taken from his article of the main key points -- just in case this link or article ever gets moved one day -- too great a summary to not have. I disagree with the Vitamin A suggestion though - I would suggest lots of blended greens instead, which contain beta-carotene that the body will then safely convert into the amount of Vitamin A needed.

How To Prevent and Treat Acne
Eight simple steps will help most overcome their acne problems.
1. Stay away from milk. It is nature's perfect food--but only if you are a calf.
2. Eat a low glycemic load, low sugar diet. Sugar, liquid calories, and flour products all drive up insulin and cause pimples.
3. Eat more fruits and vegetables. People who eat more veggies (containing more antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds) have less acne. Make sure you get your 5-9 servings of colorful fruits and vegetables every day.
4. Get more healthy anti-inflammatory fats. Make sure to get omega-3 fats (fish oil) and anti-inflammatory omega-6 fats (evening primrose oil). You will need supplements to get adequate amounts (more on that in a moment).
5. Include foods that correct acne problems. Certain foods have been linked to improvements in many of the underlying causes of acne and can help correct it. These include fish oil, turmeric, ginger, green tea, nuts, dark purple and red foods such as berries, green foods like dark green leafy vegetables, and omega 3-eggs.
6. Take acne-fighting supplements. Some supplements are critical for skin health. Antioxidant levels have been shown to be low in acne sufferers. And healthy fats can make a big difference. Here are the supplements I recommend:
  • Evening primrose oil: Take 1000 to 1500mg twice a day.
  • Zinc citrate: Take 30 mg a day.
  • Vitamin A: Take 25000 IU a day. Only do this for three months. Do not do this if you are pregnant.
  • Vitamin E (mixed tocopherols, not alpha tocopherol): Take 400 IU a day.
7. Try probiotics. Probiotics also help reduce inflammation in the gut that may be linked to acne. Taking probiotics (lactobacillus, etc.) can improve acne.
8. Avoid foods you are sensitive to. Delayed food allergies are among the most common causes of acne--foods like gluten, dairy, yeast, and eggs are common culprits and can be a problem if you have a leaky gut.

Following these simple tips will help you eliminate acne and have that glowing skin you have always dreamed of. And it's much cheaper (and safer) than expensive medications and dermatologist visits. Improve your diet and take acne-fighting supplements and you will watch your pimples disappear.

#54 5ive

5ive

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

I know this thread is old but I want to take a second and seriously commend the people that try to re-write the books on Acne. For too long we've been saying myths about acne. It's time to get the facts. And I'm happy to see this board exposing the truth that diet does affect acne. I found this out myself, and I WISH I knew this sooner.

#55 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

so, there's a group calling themselves Integrative Dermatologists. Integrative medicine is about doctors that know how important nutrients are to bodily function and illness, unlike the average doctor that only has a vague idea while believing what you really need is some drugs.

http://www.integrati...al-information/ The site doesn't have much info on it. They are selling a book and appointments.

#56 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

Time for a bump. there's a few people here right now that need it.

#57 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

I created a cleaned up list and posted it here. http://dietforclears...-admitting.html

I haven't come across anyone new in a while, though.  Has anyone else?

Ok, Found one.  Dr. Andrew Weil.  Although he doesn't have consistent stance or regimen. In one place he cites a study on the dairy link, but specifically says that sodas and other high glycemic foods don't have an effect.   Elsewhere he recommends consuming a lot of nutrient dense anti-inflammatory foods.

http://www.drweil.co...treatments.html

http://www.drweil.co...-care.html#acne

Eating 101: Preventing Acne
Acne is a common problem among teenagers as well as adults. Heredity, stress and hormones all influence the appearance of inflamed hair follicles, which result in breakouts. While cleansing the face with a mild glycerin soap and applying topical treatments such as tea tree oil or benzoyl peroxide can help, making dietary changes can also be helpful.

• Increase your consumption of antioxidant-rich foods, including fruits and vegetables.
  • Include omega-3 fatty acids like Wild Alaskan salmon or freshly ground flaxseeds to help reduce and prevent inflammation.
  • Drink lots of water to keep the skin hydrated and healthy. Limit processed and refined foods, and opt for whole, healthful foods instead.

And, don't be afraid to eat a piece of dark chocolate now and then - there is no link between chocolate and acne, and dark chocolate actually has antioxidant benefits!

Edited by alternativista, 08 April 2013 - 10:01 AM.

#58 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

So apparently in February NYU researchers published a paper examining the Diet and Acne research and the obvious connection.  And it was reported all over the place.

http://www.npr.org/b...the-empty-carbs

http://www.nyu.edu/a...ating-acne.html

http://www.scienceda...30220084809.htm

A study published in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics has determined that there is increasing evidence of a connection between diet and acne, particularly from high glycemic load diets and dairy products, and that medical nutrition therapy (MNT) can play an important role in acne treatment.

More than 17 million Americans suffer from acne, mostly during their adolescent and young adult years. Acne influences quality of life, including social withdrawal, anxiety, and depression, making treatment essential. Since the late 1800s, research has linked diet to this common disease, identifying chocolate, sugar, and fat as particular culprits, but beginning in the 1960s, studies disassociated diet from the development of acne.

"This change occurred largely because of the results of two important research studies that are repeatedly cited in the literature and popular culture as evidence to refute the association between diet and acne," says Jennifer Burris, MS, RD, of the Department of Nutrition, Food Studies, and Public Health, Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development, New York University. "More recently, dermatologists and registered dietitians have revisited the diet-acne relationship and become increasingly interested in the role of medical nutritional therapy in acne treatment."

Burris and colleagues, William Rietkerk, Department of Dermatology, New York Medical College, and Kathleen Woolf, of New York University's Department of Nutrition, Food Studies, and Public Health, conducted a literature review to evaluate evidence for the diet-acne connection during three distinctive time periods: early history, the rise of the diet-acne myth, and recent research.

Culling information from studies between 1960 and 2012 that investigated diet and acne, investigators compiled data for a number of study characteristics, including reference, design, participants, intervention method, primary outcome, results and conclusions, covariate considerations, and limitations.

They concluded that a high glycemic index/glycemic load diet and frequent dairy consumption are the leading factors in establishing the link between diet and acne. They also note that although research results from studies conducted over the last 10 years do not demonstrate that diet causes acne, it may influence or aggravate it.

The study team recommends that dermatologists and registered dietitians work collaboratively to design and conduct quality research. "This research is necessary to fully elucidate preliminary results, determine the proposed underlying mechanisms linking diet and acne, and develop potential dietary interventions for acne treatment," says Burris. "The medical community should not dismiss the possibility of diet therapy as an adjunct treatment for acne. At this time, the best approach is to address each acne patient individually, carefully considering the possibility of dietary counseling."

Not earth shattering to us, or very scientific.  But at least it got some press. So your derm doesn't read dermatology related trade journals published specifically for them. Maybe he/she listens to NPR or reads Science Daily. 

The recent research they site is the Mann study we've been talking about since 2007.  So, I guess it just takes several years for the information to trickle to the people working in the industry.

#59 Quetzlcoatl

Quetzlcoatl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

Thing is, the link hasn't been proven on a cellular/molecular level, because it's probably so indirect. I'm guessing it'll be not only diet, but maybe microbial peptides or compounds absorbed from the GI tract.

Also alternativista, that moisturizer in your signature looks amazing. Do you make it yourself/have any advice on how to get my hands on some?

#60 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

Thing is, the link hasn't been proven on a cellular/molecular level, because it's probably so indirect. I'm guessing it'll be not only diet, but maybe microbial peptides or compounds absorbed from the GI tract.

Also alternativista, that moisturizer in your signature looks amazing. Do you make it yourself/have any advice on how to get my hands on some?

I can't see my signature, written ages ago, while on my ipad, but I imagine its the one I make. I'm pretty sure I haven't promoted a commercially prepared topical in a long time if ever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users