Photo

Green Tea for acne?

green tea probiotic phenol

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#21 SickOfSmallPimps

SickOfSmallPimps

Mr. AL

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 July 2004 - 10:42 PM

blackbirdbeatle,

Could you possibly supply some supporting information/resources to backup your claims. Not that I disagree, nor do they sound far fetched (and I'll never forfeit my bottled tea B)), but it would be interesting to read. Product refinement has long since been the culprit for many nutrition debates. Heck, cooking most veggies is more than enough to denature the value of raw vitamins. Anyway, if you can..thanks.
The evilest thing God ever did was give ME facial hair.

#22 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 July 2004 - 07:24 PM

Let's just say that in my city they make much of that bottled "juice and tea" drinks. Sobe and other brands. ANyway, I know some university friends that work there as part time jobs and the tea they use is crap, they boil the tea in huge batches and they don't put much tea in it anyway.

However if you like drinking it then that's all that matters, just don't expect any great health benefits.

The most important thing to remember is to never boil green tea or else you'll just be drinking it for the taste(it will get bitter as well).

I have researched numerous journals as I always do with these kinds of things(I like things to be controlled when tested so as other factors aren't influencing it). I don't have any bookmarked but go to any college or uni. and the journals are free to use. Also you can search the net and find many references to journals in regular pages.

I'll look for some tonight and post it.

#23 drewsie

drewsie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 July 2004 - 07:58 PM

If you are going to buy green tea, it is best to buy it fresh. The majority of pre-packaged tea bags contain material that is not even tea, such as pieces of crushed bark and even bugs. Maybe the fresher the tea leaves the better? biggrin.gif

#24 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 July 2004 - 01:19 AM

im gonna look into buying whole leaves. im sure its worth the trouble just for economic reasons. i bet its fresher too. the chopped up stuff has a much greater surface area and thus will not stay fresh as long.

#25 duluxdog

duluxdog

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:13 AM

YOu guys have completely missed the point - see 2 posts above mine.. they get it.

You need to use FRESH LEAVES THAT AREN'T FROM A SUPERMARKET. YOU WILL FIND THEM IN A LOCAL INDEPENDENT STALLS AT MARKETS. The supermarket tea-bags are useless since the leaves are chopped and you have no idea of how much is actuallly green tea. Most come with allsorts of other useless herbs bunged in that you don't want. Seriously, you're wasting you're money if you're not using whole leaves.

#26 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE(duluxdog @ Jul 8 2004, 12:00 AM)
The supermarket tea-bags are useless since the leaves are chopped and you have no idea of how much is actuallly green tea.  Most come with allsorts of other useless herbs bunged in that you don't want.

my box says 100% green tea. i believe the box. there may be trace amounts of contaminants from other herbs but it cant be much. if you get the lemongrass/green tea blend, thats when you're getting screwed.

#27 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:05 PM

Bottom line is that mass produced green tea bags are of very low quality. They are also chopped up. If you chop up the tea leaves they don't get a chance to expand in the diffuser, or cup and when broken up many of the antioxidants are lost.

Seriously, it's not hard to find good quality green tea and it costs the same as that celestial seasonings stuff while being dozens of times more effective as the tea in bags.

#28 Whatever-and-Ever

Whatever-and-Ever

Queen of Sunscreen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2004 - 12:00 AM

I don't want to sound stupid, but when you get the green tea leaves, how do you make tea from them? I have one of those strainer things for loose tea. Do I use that and leave the tea leaves whole?

I'm a new yorker who thrives off coffee.
Hi.

#29 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2004 - 11:28 AM

i dont know what the whole leaves look like but i think you could put them in whole. if you want the tea to brew faster you could break them into smaller pieces first. i assume you're talking about a teapot with the strainer part in the middle.

#30 Whatever-and-Ever

Whatever-and-Ever

Queen of Sunscreen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2004 - 08:11 PM

ok, I'll try that. I use a strainer that you dip in the cup. You open it up and put the leaves in. A mesh like thingy...
Hi.

#31 Scotty_G

Scotty_G

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2004 - 03:09 PM

What about green tea extract supplements? I just bought a bottle which contains 315mg. I'm not sure if i'm going to start taking it yet though.