Photo

Green Tea for acne?

green tea probiotic phenol

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2004 - 05:24 AM

From what I've read, green tea seems like an amazingly healthy drink... It does just about everything --

"Green tea polyphenols have demonstrated significant antioxidant, anticarcinogenic, anti-inflammatory, thermogenic, probiotic, and antimicrobial properties in numerous human, animal, and in vitro studies." (Altern Med Rev. 2000 Aug;5(4):372-5)

Also check out this article -- "Green Tea Extract Helps Acne" -- http://www.applesfor...eteaextha4.html

So I decided I am going to start drinking green tea everyday. I also decided to experiment by washing my face with green tea instead of water. Today I had only black tea, which has similar benefits to green tea. I filled a mixing bowl with cooled-down black tea and added some more cool water, soaked my face several times, pat dried, and applied my jojoba/tea tree oil mixture.

Afterwards, my face felt nice and cool for a couple hours. The cooling sensation could be from the tea tree oil but it seemed unusually pleasant and I think it's a result of the black tea. And I know I'm not imagining it.

BTW, I'm going to quit using soaps or cleansers on my face for a while cause I think they are screwing with my skin... shaving works fine for removing dead skin and oil. I'll still cleans my forehead, nose, and neck in the shower though.

#2 kizza

kizza

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2004 - 08:03 AM

sounds like a plan aye! i tried drinking a crap load of green tea for a while but it turns out that it did worse for me aye...i think im allergic somehow to tea coz i have noticed that whenever i drink it i break out...but jasmine tea doesnt have that effect. I agree that sometimes face washes seem to do more damage than good and i would love to not use any products but i have to have something to take my make up off sad.gif but i really hope all goes well for u...keep us all updated on how it turns out! smile.gif

#3 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2004 - 10:30 PM

yah, I'll be sure to post if I see any benefit from my green tea regimen. In fact I already noticed today that the green tea was able to relieve my mild heartburn... that was probably due to the honey I added to sweeten the tea. I think I'll continue to drink green tea all day and every day instead of just plain water.

Kizza -- it seems strange that green tea would make you breakout. I've read that it is second to water as the most popular drink in the world. There have been thousands of studies on green tea and I've never heard of it causing people to breakout. I suppose green tea could stilmulate your immune system to fight underlying acne infections... but the immune response would be a good thing in the long term.

#4 duluxdog

duluxdog

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 June 2004 - 10:08 AM

Hello. Did you buy the loose leaves then? Where'd you get them? I can't find them anywhere.

#5 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 12 June 2004 - 11:29 AM

delux -- I got a pack of 20 teabags. Actually, my dad picked them up but he got the green tea/lemongrass blend. I would rather use the 100% pure green tea bags so I think I'll get them myself today. There should be a tea section at your local supermarket, probably near the coffee section, or maybe even the asian section. There is probably a variety of green tea to choose from. Salada seems like a good brand. Just make sure the tea is 100% pure, without added flavors and junk. And don't buy the decaffeinated kind because antioxidants are removed in the decaffeination process.

It might be more economical to buy the loose green tea but then you will also need to get a tea pot if you don't already have one.

If you're concerned about the caffeine it might be comforting to know that a serving of green tea made from one tea bag contains about 1/4 the amount of caffeine in a 5 oz. serving of coffee. (www.stashtea.com/caffeine.htm)

#6 Gum/b/ullah al-Kafir

Gum/b/ullah al-Kafir

HAHA!!! All Your LOLZ Are Belong To Me!!1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 June 2004 - 11:54 AM

Try fenugreek tea. That stuff was my miracle cure.
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#7 Lady Bug

Lady Bug

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 June 2004 - 09:31 AM

Where do you get that Gumby and what are its benefits. Ive never even heard of it.

#8 SickOfSmallPimps

SickOfSmallPimps

Mr. AL

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2004 - 09:48 PM

I drink one to three bottles of Arizona Asian Plum Green Tea just about every day. I have been drinking green tea for years. I honestly can't say it's made a difference in my health, let alone acne.
The evilest thing God ever did was give ME facial hair.

#9 kuyars

kuyars

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2004 - 10:31 PM

Just thought I'd chime in on the Arizona Green Tea. I don't think the Arizona teas would be representative of green tea in general, since it's essentially a non-carbonated soft drink. Take a look at the ingredients and you'll see that the 2nd ingredient listed is high fructose corn syrup.

Arizona Tea

I would imagine that the high sugar content of that tea basically makes it the same as drinking your regular coca-cola, sprite, (insert fave soft drink here), etc.

#10 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 July 2004 - 07:39 AM

about the arizona green tea... i made some iced tea the other day that tasted exactly like the arizona green tea w/ honey and gensing. i just made some green tea and added honey and fresh squeezed lemon juice.

i cant attribute any improvements in my skin to the green tea, but im sure it is helping me stay healthy. do you people know that we are constantly fighting cancer. cancer cells arise every day but then they are recognized by the immune system and get destroyed. crazy huh?

#11 mischief2

mischief2

miss kitty fantastico

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 July 2004 - 08:36 AM

I drink 4-5 cups of green tea a day. I don't know if it's helping my acne but I feel much healthier drinking it.

Cancer is bad. Fighting cancer is good. wink.gif
"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly." - Sam Keen

#12 1000 Julys

1000 Julys

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 July 2004 - 10:48 AM

i started drinking green tea since i heard it can help with acne...it didnt do anything for mine but i loved the taste of it. i drink arizona green tea with honey, sobe green tea, and this arizona white cranberry apple green tea (which doesnt have any sugar or carbs). im clear now thanks to dan's regimen but continue to drink 1-2 bottles a day. good stuff!

#13 SickOfSmallPimps

SickOfSmallPimps

Mr. AL

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 July 2004 - 01:16 PM

"I would imagine that the high sugar content of that tea basically makes it the same as drinking your regular coca-cola, sprite, (insert fave soft drink here), etc."

I can't drink sugarless tea, it's too flavorless. And no-carb tea containing sucralose is a NO NO in my book. Also, it may have sugar, but it honestly is not sweet enough to warrant any concern on my part. Not to mention, it's still green tea. Plus is has no preservatives and it's relatively inexpensive.
The evilest thing God ever did was give ME facial hair.

#14 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 July 2004 - 01:17 PM

I like green tea and it does increase thermogenisis and thyroid activity..
so that could potentially speed skin healing. I'm really sensitive
to stimulants though, so I have to use decaf or i'm shaking
like a speed addict on payday.
before you judge me take a look at you
can't you find something better to do
point the finger, slow to understand
arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand

- Metallica, "holier than thou"

#15 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 July 2004 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE(kuyars @ Jul 2 2004, 09:18 PM)
Just thought I'd chime in on the Arizona Green Tea.  I don't think the Arizona teas would be representative of green tea in general, since it's essentially a non-carbonated soft drink.  Take a look at the ingredients and you'll see that the 2nd ingredient listed is high fructose corn syrup.

Arizona Tea

I would imagine that the high sugar content of that tea basically makes it the same as drinking your regular coca-cola, sprite, (insert fave soft drink here), etc.

Err, huh? Green tea has no sugar unless you add it - you can always
use sugar substitute...my choice is splenda, which tastes pretty much
exactly like sugar yet its calorie free.

#16 -Misfits-

-Misfits-

Bring Out Your Dead

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 July 2004 - 02:01 PM

all you really have to do is add some honey and it will add some sweetness
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]
Fist in the air, in the land of hypocrisy...

#17 kuyars

kuyars

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 July 2004 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE(evigrex @ Jul 3 2004, 12:06 PM)
Err, huh?   Green tea has no sugar unless you add it - you can always

Actually, you might be a bit confused -- perhaps they don't sell the Arizona teas where you live. Arizona Green Tea is a ready-made green tea drink sold in bottles. It has both high fructose corn syrup and honey added as sweeteners.

In regards to the sugar content, SickOfSmallPimps may be right in that the corn syrup is proportionally small in comparison to the water content. If it doesn't break you out, then that's great smile.gif

As for me, I drink green tea brewed from the leaves -- a habit I grew up with since I'm half-Japanese. I'm not sure whether it helps my skin or not, but I do feel better that it does not have any sweeteners or such in it. Just a mind thing, is all.

#18 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 July 2004 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE(kuyars @ Jul 3 2004, 01:53 PM)
QUOTE(evigrex @ Jul 3 2004, 12:06 PM)
Err, huh?   Green tea has no sugar unless you add it - you can always

Actually, you might be a bit confused -- perhaps they don't sell the Arizona teas where you live. Arizona Green Tea is a ready-made green tea drink sold in bottles. It has both high fructose corn syrup and honey added as sweeteners.

In regards to the sugar content, SickOfSmallPimps may be right in that the corn syrup is proportionally small in comparison to the water content. If it doesn't break you out, then that's great smile.gif

As for me, I drink green tea brewed from the leaves -- a habit I grew up with since I'm half-Japanese. I'm not sure whether it helps my skin or not, but I do feel better that it does not have any sweeteners or such in it. Just a mind thing, is all.

Gotcha.

#19 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 July 2004 - 01:18 PM

Hey,

Other reasons why Green Tea work is because of select antioxidants called catechins that have DHT Inhibiting potential.

EGCG - if you were to take this pure it would only function to block Androgen Receptors so that DHT wouldn't bind.

EGCG-gallate - this has the added bonus of preventing DHT (Type 1) enzyme conversion of 5-alpha, however it will also prevent aromatase (some may not like that), but most people don't notice because the effects are still being inhibited.

"Growth suppression of hamster flank organs by topical application of catechins, alizarin, curcumin, and myristoleic acid.
Liao S, Lin J, Dang MT, Zhang H, Kao YH, Fukuchi J, Hiipakka RA.

Ben May Institute for Cancer Research, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Chicago, IL 60637, USA. sliao@huggins.bsd.uchicago.edu

Hamster flank organ growth, as measured by an increase in the area of the pigmented macule, is androgen-dependent. When flank organs of a castrated hamster are treated topically with testosterone, the flank organ becomes larger and darker. Since this growth is known to be dependent on the intracellular active androgen, 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT), inhibitors of 5alpha-reductase which converts testosterone to DHT can inhibit the growth of the flank organ. Certain unsaturated aliphatic fatty acids, such as gamma-linolenic acid and myristoleic acid, as well as other natural compounds, including alizarin and curcumin, are 5alpha-reductase inhibitors and inhibited flank organ growth. Green tea catechins, including (-)-epicatechin-3-gallate, and (-)-epigallo-catechin-3-gallate (EGCG) are also 5alpha-reductase inhibitors and inhibited flank organ growth. However, (-)-epicatechin and (-)-epigallocatechin, which are not 5alpha-reductase inhibitors, also inhibited flank organ growth. EGCG also inhibited DHT-dependent growth of flank organs. These catechins, therefore, may act by a mechanism other than inhibition of 5alpha-reductase. The effect of EGCG and other compounds was localized at the site of application; they did not affect the growth of the contralateral flank organ in the same animal. Since these compounds do not appear to exhibit systemic effects, they may be potentially useful for treatment of androgen-dependent skin disorders."
http://www.ncbi.nlm....t_uids=11380153

"Soy phytochemicals and tea bioactive components synergistically inhibit androgen-sensitive human prostate tumors in mice.

Zhou JR, Yu L, Zhong Y, Blackburn GL.

Nutrition/Metabolism Laboratory, Department of Surgery, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA. jrzhou@caregroup.harvard.edu

Although high doses of single bioactive agents may have potent anticancer effects, the chemopreventive properties of the Asian diet may result from interactions among several components that potentiate the activities of any single constituent. In Asia, where intake of soy products and tea consumption are very high, aggressive prostate cancer is significantly less prevalent in Asian men. The objective of the present study was to identify possible synergistic effects between soy and tea components on prostate tumor progression in a mouse model of orthotopic androgen-sensitive human prostate cancer. Soy phytochemical concentrate (SPC), black tea and green tea were compared with respect to tumorigenicity rate, primary tumor growth, tumor proliferation index and microvessel density, serum androgen level and metastases to lymph nodes. SPC, black tea and green tea significantly reduced tumorigenicity. SPC and black tea also significantly reduced final tumor weights. Green tea did not reduce final tumor weight, although it tended to elevate (P = 0.14) the serum dihydrotestosterone (DHT) concentration. The combination of SPC and black tea synergistically inhibited prostate tumorigenicity, final tumor weight and metastases to lymph nodes in vivo. The combination of SPC and green tea synergistically inhibited final tumor weight and metastasis and significantly reduced serum concentrations of both testosterone and DHT in vivo. Inhibition of tumor progression was associated with reduced tumor cell proliferation and tumor angiogenesis. This study suggests that further research is warranted to study the role of soy and tea combination as effective nutritional regimens in prostate cancer prevention."

http://www.ncbi.nlm....t_uids=12566493

One option is to try Green Tea patches from www.1800patches.com but they are more costly and you still have to use a fresh one daily.

To save money, you can purchase Pure Green Tea Extract powder (will have both substances) that will contain 80% catechins, and > 45% EGCG that is also "decaffeinated" ( <1% caffeine). So a dose of 400mg will contain 180mg of EGCG. If you can find EGCG in pure form you should be very lucky. You can use Stevion (non-bitter form of Stevia) or Xylitol (non cariogenic sweeter) as your safe & natural alternative sweeteners if you don't like the taste of this plain. If you take the powder, since there's no fillers, it's really a very small amount (1/8 - 1/4 tsp) that you have to get down and half a cup of water should do it (not boiled).

I've got a bottle of this and it does help a bit with the inflammatory acne on the skin (supposed to be as effective as Benzoyl Peroxide) so if you find drinking it breaks you out maybe topically it won't. For those that still use BHA, Paula's Choice has a wonderful 2% BHA solution (liquid) that contain Green Tea and I used to use spot treat with that stuff to heal up acne wounds FAST.

As for the Soy, you want specific isoflavones:

Equol - most effective at reducing (Type II) DHT isoenzymes, and it also BINDS to DHT, rendering it inactive (a first)!

Diadzein - Equol is derived from this, and reduces Type II DHT Isoenzymes.

Genistein - Reduces Type II DHT Isoenzymes

http://www.ncbi.nlm....t_uids=14681200

http://www.ncbi.nlm....t_uids=12566472

HTH
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#20 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 July 2004 - 03:40 PM

Well said jade, that's why I drink lot's of green tea as well, because of the DHT inhibiting action and the 5-AR inhibitors.

Anyway, that bottled stuff may taste good but it won't do squat for you. Tea bags are bad enough and when you mass produce all that stuff too much of the benefits get lost, plus they use bad quality to start with. You'd need to drink about 3 glasses a day of the high quality loose leaf green tea to get the full benefits, over 10 glasses of the tea bags(cause of the quality and because it's chopped up), and I'm guessing dozens more of the bottled stuff. Plus they boil the bottled stuff, which destroys all the benefits of the green tea.

Never pour boiling water over green tea, wait a few minutes and then pour the very hot water on it. The boiling water cooks the tea.

If you live in an area with over 50,000 people than you can get good loose leaf(it's not expensive like 15.00 for a whole summers supply at 2 glasses/day). Just look harder and ask the places that sell coffee beans.