Photo

Estee Lauder Double Wear vs. Light

foundation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 Kawai_chick

Kawai_chick

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:46 PM

Can anyone tell me the difference between the those two? I'm thinking of buying either one but not sure which one to pick :/

And do they cause breakout?

I'm currently using bare minerals foundation for my daily activities, but I want a foundation which provides better coverage for special ocassions.

#2 sammie_22

sammie_22

Sam

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:29 PM

Double Wear (the original) has been around forever and is very thick and provides very full coverage and lasts forever. Double Wear Light is pretty recent and doesn't come in many shades and it provides less coverage but does last as long as the original. I've tried Double Wear and it doesn't make me breakout and from what I've read it doesn't cause breakouts on many other women. I wanna try the Double Wear Light but I'm afraid it won't provide the amount of coverage I'd like. Has anyone else tried it? Hope I helped:)

#3 Kawai_chick

Kawai_chick

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:37 AM

^^ Thanks that sure helped.

Is this double wear liquid or powder? And why do you want to change it? Are you facing any problems with it?

I'm going to buy either one at the end of this week, I might go with Light.

#4 sammie_22

sammie_22

Sam

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2009 - 12:40 PM

I use the liquid form but there is a powder. I don't like powders because they look really unnatural and for my skin which is a little oily, don't stay on for long. I'm looking at the double wear light because I find its hard to apply the original double wear when your in a rush and its very thick and hard to get out of the bottle. Also, I don't have much acne anymore and don't need a lot of coverage. I've heard really good things about using the double wear concealer under the double wear light foundation for a flawless face that doesn't feel too heavily made up. Right now I don't need to use concealer because Double Wear is SO thick.
My biggest deal with Double Wear Light is because I'm a nursing student I'm really busy and work long sweaty hours in the hospital and don't have much time for touchups. I usually wear Rimmel 16hr liquid foundation to because its really blendable and easy to apply unlike the Double Wear, but I like the finish and colour of Double Wear better.

Do you have a lot of acne? And how much coverage do you want/need?

#5 Kawai_chick

Kawai_chick

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2009 - 02:18 PM

Ahhhh I totally understand. I'm a pharmacy student and currently working in a hospital too, that's why I want to change my Bare mineral foundation, I can't carry it around and you need a brush to apply it (which by the time I remove it from my bag is infected with countless microbes!!).

I would say my acne is moderate and I don't need full coverage for going out, just something to lessen the redness of my spots.

As for the concealer, I'm using Loreal Infallible and I don't put foundation in top of it.

hmmm based on what you've said, I'm leaning more towards Light. I'm travelling in 2 weeks and I want something easy and quick to apply before doing my activities.

I have never used Liquid foundation before, I always thought they make the skin look oily. But you have an oily skin and they are fine for you.

So Rimmel doesn't make you break out? My friend use it and I totally love how it looks on her, but she has no acne so I didn't want to risk trying it on myself.

#6 sammie_22

sammie_22

Sam

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:39 PM

Yea its weird liquid foundations make my skin less oily for whatever reason. If you have oily skin and your skin can tolerate it, you can put vinegar diluted with 50% water on your t-zone area and let it dry before you put your moisturizer on. It REALLY helps control my oil, so it might help yours too! Plus it drys out pimples quickly!

Rimmel doesn't break me out but sweating my butt off in the hospital does! I maybe have to blot once a day if I'm not working smile.gif I really want to get Double Wear Light too so let me know how you like it because I have heard good things! The girls at the Estee Lauder counter can even give you one week sample so if you want to trial it first maybe you should do that?

I'm glad Rimmel works for your friend! It gives a great finish (dewy and natural) and has buildable coverage smile.gif the only problem is that there aren't many shades

Lets me know what you decide and how everything turns out!

#7 Kawai_chick

Kawai_chick

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:44 PM

I've read somewhere that mixing little bit of Double Wear with a moisturizer helps to apply the foundation more easily. Might try that.

Thanks for the advice, I will share it with my sister who has a very oily skin. My skin isn't oily nor is it dry. But using BP can make it more on the dry side.

I'm going to the city on Monday and will look at some make up brands. I will definetly get one of the double wears, and I want another mineral foundation. One that has a brush as a part of it because I hate carrying the large brush I currently use with Bare minerals, I just feel it's dirty after removing it out of my bag.

#8 sammie_22

sammie_22

Sam

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for the advice girl! I'll try mixing moisturizer with it smile.gif Hope it works for your sister if she tries it... it sure is a life saver for me.

As for the foundation... keep me posted on what works and what doesn't work. Together hopefully we can find the perfect foundation because i'm sick of products hat don't work tongue.gif Best of luck!

#9 xLKphotox

xLKphotox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:09 PM

Hey Ladies! Great thread...I looove the Double Wear and I have extremely oily skin. But it stays in check all day with this foundation. I too would like to switch to the light once my red marks fade more. I felt like the light didn't cover as much as I would like. Also, this foundation gave me absolutely no new breakouts which is unheard of for me and liquid foundations. I really love how this makes my skin feel and look. One thing that's annoying is that it doesn't come with a pump BUT you can buy the foundation pump at MAC (4.99) and it fits perfectly in the bottle. This lets you get just enough out of the bottle without going overboard and it is hygenic.

#10 angel07

angel07

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:15 PM

I've heard great things about this foundation! I've been wanting to try it for the longest time, but I've been too scared since I haven't used liquid foundation in such a long time. I'm currently using mineral foundation and I just hate it. Doesn't provide much coverage and makes my face extremely dry! Ok...so I will get some Double Wear and try it soon! Wish me luck!

#11 Kawai_chick

Kawai_chick

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (xLKphotox @ Jun 21 2009, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Ladies! Great thread...I looove the Double Wear and I have extremely oily skin. But it stays in check all day with this foundation. I too would like to switch to the light once my red marks fade more. I felt like the light didn't cover as much as I would like. Also, this foundation gave me absolutely no new breakouts which is unheard of for me and liquid foundations. I really love how this makes my skin feel and look. One thing that's annoying is that it doesn't come with a pump BUT you can buy the foundation pump at MAC (4.99) and it fits perfectly in the bottle. This lets you get just enough out of the bottle without going overboard and it is hygenic.

Thanks for mentioning the pump!!! I like bottles with a pump as it gives you better control on the amount required. I will check MAC and I hope they sell the pump here in the UK.

Many say that Double Wear doesn't make them breakout, it's really encouraging, now I'm more excited about getting it eusa_dance.gif

QUOTE (angel07 @ Jun 21 2009, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've heard great things about this foundation! I've been wanting to try it for the longest time, but I've been too scared since I haven't used liquid foundation in such a long time. I'm currently using mineral foundation and I just hate it. Doesn't provide much coverage and makes my face extremely dry! Ok...so I will get some Double Wear and try it soon! Wish me luck!

I'm using mineral too and actually I like the coverage it provides, it's only the application method and the stupid, hard-to-move around container that makes me want to try something else confused.gif

Tell us know how it goes, and good luck!

#12 sammie_22

sammie_22

Sam

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2009 - 03:51 PM

xLKphotox - Hey girl:) Thats great that DW works for you! How thick do you put it on? Because I like it i just wish it wasn't so heavy on those hot humid days where your skin feels like it can't breathe! Lol, any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Angel07 - I hate mineral makeup too! I find theres only a select few skin types that it's flattering on... apparently my skin and yours aren't one of them tongue.gif Let us know how it goes!

#13 lydzxxx

lydzxxx

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:33 AM

hey been using estee lauder the original for years and a while ago i got a tester of the double wear light, really didnt think the coverage was great!u could see everthing more a less(my worst night mare lol) as i had really bad acne back then, i usually just go really lightly over the good parts of my skin and slightly heavier over my cheeks were the acne and red marks are with the original double wear, i would defiently recommend the original over the light but suppose it depends how bad the acne is itself.

#14 angel07

angel07

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:06 PM

Hey girls!

So I FINALLY went to Macy's today to get some of this stuff and I am totally impressed! The lady at the counter was very nice. We did a color match and I can't believe the amazing coverage this makeup provides! Plus, it doesn't make my skin dry and flakey like mineral foundation!

I purchased the Estee Lauder Double Wear liquid foundation, the Double Wear powder, and the Bronze Goddess bronzer, as well as the foundation brush and brush cleaner. I thought I wasn't going to like the powder, but it was pretty nice, so I decided to get it too.

On the Double Wear foundation box it says it's oil-free, fragrance-free, and non-acnegenic!

I would like to thank you girls for mentioning this product and sharing your tips. I have been searching for a full-coverage foundation for years and I am happy to finally toss out my mineral foundation!! Thank you!! smile.gif

#15 sammie_22

sammie_22

Sam

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:32 PM

Angel07 that so great! I'm glad you like it! You prolly look gorgeous in it:) Is the bronzer good? I haven't tried it but it looks really nice! That must have been an expensive trip:P Did you try the Double Wear Light out at all?

#16 angel07

angel07

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:09 AM

Yeah, I am really happy! Actually, I didn't spend as much as I thought I would. Haha, but I signed up for the Macy's credit card and got 15% off my purchase. Oh, and with a $30 something purchase, you get a free tote bag with some goodies inside. The sales associate even gave my mom one even though she didn't buy anything!

I really like the bronzer. On the box it says "unique oil-control complex keeps skin shine-free." I didn't try the Double Wear Light. I was too excited about the great coverage of the regular Double Wear lol! I'll probably try it out sometime soon though!

I just washed my face and I love how my face looks right now even though I don't have any makeup on now! Usually when I take off my mineral foundation, my skin is very irritated and dry, but using the Double Wear didn't make my face dry at all. It was harder to take off than mineral, but I was prepared for that, so I made sure to use a toner after cleansing to get off the remaining foundation. No big deal. Maybe my skin was sensitive to mica??

Thanks sammie_22! <3

#17 Kawai_chick

Kawai_chick

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:02 AM

I totally agree with Angel07, the Double Wear is amazing!!! I've purchased it yesterday and totally loved the coverage. I've asked the lady about light and she told it's basically the same but provides less coverage. I was totally happy with Double Wear that I've decided to buy it along with the brush.

BTW Angel07, what does the powder do?

#18 sammie_22

sammie_22

Sam

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:42 AM

I'm glad you girls like it! I love it but now that its summer here (I live in Ontario, Canada) the past couple weeks have been SO humid and sticky and hot and I don't like the sweat/oil mixing with the foundation cause it makes my skin feel like it can't breathe! Also getting it out of the container is hard haha but I might take LKphoto's advice and buy a pump and maybe dilute the foundation with moisturizer to make it lighter cause lydzxxxx said the double wear light is crap and I would rather have my skin feel a little uncomfortable then everyone see flaws:P

#19 angel07

angel07

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:50 PM

The Double Wear Powder is basically just the same thing as the liquid foundation, but in pressed powder form instead. The lady at the counter put the powder on my forehead and the liquid on the rest of my face, and they were pretty much the same. She said I could use the powder on days that I didn't want to use liquid and that I could use the powder throughout the day for touch ups. But instead of using the sponge that comes with the powder, she used a foundation brush.

Haha she made it seem so easy to apply! I'm going to experiment with both and hope I do a good job at applying the makeup myself!!

#20 Kawai_chick

Kawai_chick

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:07 PM

Aha I see. Thanks ;-)

Today I've applied double wear using my fingers. I used an ear cotton to get little bit of the foundation and applied it on my cheeks. Then used my fingers to spread it, I just like it more than the brush.

I'm going to replace the brush with the powder double wear cuz I like to use powder as a concealer.