Photo

Pimples, hard bumps, some large, behind the ears, along the jaw line/neck

oily skin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 Chocobot

Chocobot

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:45 PM

I've been getting pimples behind the lower part of my ear and along the neck and jaw line since late October 2008 (I've always had acne but usually not there). It never goes away completely, there's always more. Sometimes it's just some whiteheads, sometimes it becomes a large red spot (behind my ear lobe, not on the ear itself) that is hard, like almost the size of a dime.

It's like, you could draw a line that goes from behind my earlobe down along my jaw line where it connects to the neck. It happens on both sides, it's very consistent.

It sucks, it looks like I don't wash but I do (two showers a day, wash my face with products for it, etc.). So why does this persist? I thought it might be my razor blade since the pimples are where it's difficult to shave, but it doesn't explain why I would have them higher behind my ears and such.

I have quite oily skin, and it seems more oily around that area so that could be it, but I never wear big headphones or sleep on that part of my head or put any pressure there (I actually have the habit of sleeping with the top part of my head on the pillow, and that part where I have these pimples isn't in contact with anything).

Not sure what to do. It sucks cause other than that my acne has gotten less severe. Still there but it's worst at the neck now.

#2 youthanasia

youthanasia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:03 AM

i have the same problem by the sounds of things, i think it may be my shaving cream because every time i shave it seems to get worse (i use a moisturizing shaving cream and apparently that inflames acne)..ive started taking zinc which i think helps too. when i wash my face i dont touch the neck area i just moisturize it, ive found washing makes it worse. but yeah its still there, not as bad but ill let you know how i go

#3 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:37 PM

I used to have that and it turned out to be an allergic reaction.

#4 acne_battle

acne_battle

this is Ollie, my parents cat which I took a pic of on my b day

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 38
About Me

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:56 PM

I had a pimple behind my earlobe once. It hurt like hell! I also seem to get them a lot next to where my ear lobe stops

#5 Chocobot

Chocobot

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:43 PM

Can't shaving cream since I don't use it (I shave in the shower).

Might be allergic reaction, I have been eating peanut butter daily since around the date it started. I somehow doubt it's related, but I'll give it a shot.

#6 Chocobot

Chocobot

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:52 PM

Argh this sucks, it never stops:|

My face has been much less worst recently, but this neck acne never stops. It is always more severe on one side, then it starts fading and it's the other side that gets works, repeat.

I don't even wear shirts with collars. I shave my head so it can't be my hair. I don't know what to do, it's very strange, and now that I think about it it has been happening for over a year actually, not just since last October.

It's really right behind my ear, near the bottom, and then more pimples downward until it reaches a bit lower than the corner of my jaw.

Every day a new pimple, if not more, as the others fade.

I'm out of ideas:| It sucks cause it makes me look like I'm dirty, but I'm not at all, I shower twice a day, etc. I can't put on clothes that make me look too nice because I hate looking good and then having these damn pimples all over the neck and behind the years, it makes me feel like a walking contradiction:P

This stupid acne is like a bad joke.

#7 amanda8lynn22

amanda8lynn22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 30
About Me

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:58 PM

I have the same problem, but I'm a girl. My acne extends from my lower cheeks to occasionally behind my ears. Ive had very big purple cysts behind my earlobes, and on my neck and along my jawlin, they even connected sometimes. I'm on a lot, as you can see on my signature, and I still get this BS. Antibiotics are the major cause of my improvement. It seems like it can only be kept under control, one week off my routine, and Bam 20 new pimples & cysts will pop up..

#8 onelittleone

onelittleone

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:53 AM

eusa_wall.gif I had the same problem i would get large red pumps on my neck & jaw line i changed the way i shave & i dont get them anymore.i shave against the grain of my beard & use a saving cream with aloe in it i also use a three blade razor
this soved it for me maybe it will work for you to
THE BEST OF LUCK TO YOU

Barbasol with soothing aloe
Bic comfort 3 with a pivot head

#9 CoolGuy68

CoolGuy68

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:45 PM

Hmmm, all of this sounds very familiar to me. You say you shower twice daily? This could be the very source of your problems! What kind of soap/cleanser are you using? It doesn't even matter, they're ALL B-A-D eusa_naughty.gif

#10 Chocobot

Chocobot

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:13 AM

I don't put soap on my neck.

Right now, the left side is pretty much fine. But the right side, I have big red pimples (almost dime-sized) near my jaw bone close to the ear, behind the ear, and a BUNCH of small pin-head-sized red/brown marks (like, 20 of them), all over the right side of my neck, more close to my ear and along the neck below my jawline. It looks like an ant-farm or whatever. I have a lot of pimples in the middle of my upper back too, and you can see it's like it spread from there to my neck or vice-versa.

It's crazy, it makes me look dirty, especially since it's concentrated more on one side than the other.

I don't know if it could be my pillows or what, I change the pillow case every three days. I'm thinking of just throwing the pillows away and no using them at all anymore or something, but I don't even think it's related, I don't rest my face or neck on the pillows.

This is a pain in the ass for my professional life, I've been unjustly discriminated against because of this. Image is too important.

#11 Chocobot

Chocobot

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:16 PM

So strange, it continues to happen. The left side is almost 100% clear, but I am still getting pimples daily on the right side. Right behind the bottom part of my ear, and along the jaw's end on the neck.

I can't imagine that it would be anything else than either some sort of parasites, or an allergy.

I'll try to cover my neck with aftershave lotion to prevent anything from going onto it. If it was an allergy, I think it would be more random. This has been going on for so long now, even tho my face is clearing.

#12 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:13 PM

Did you try avoiding peanuts like you said?

From my experience and from other people's posts, I've observed that acne appearing in the same spot over and over for no apparent reason, especially cysts, are allergic reactions. For me it's citrus fruits and different ones cause pimples in different places on my neck, jawline, hairline, chin, etc. I've seen quite a few people say that peanuts caused them to break out in cysts between the eyebrows.

#13 Chocobot

Chocobot

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:12 PM

I did not try to stop eating peanut butter, I remember having this crap before then too. Could always try, but I doubt it's related. We'll see.

#14 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE (Chocobot @ Jun 24 2009, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did not try to stop eating peanut butter, I remember having this crap before then too. Could always try, but I doubt it's related. We'll see.

Consider other common allergens as well. All my jaw, neck an hairline acne was an allergic reaction.

#15 jewelsbeerlover

jewelsbeerlover

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2009 - 11:39 PM

here is a tip: swimming helps with acne...the chlorine works as an antibacterial and drying agent!!!

when i swim, i have such clear soft skin, but it can feel kinda tight sometimes!!!! GOOD LUCK IN UR ACNE FIGHT! Im 20 and just developed acne at 18...never had it as a teen. it really blows.

#16 Chocobot

Chocobot

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:22 PM

Still happens but less than before, most of it is fading. I haven't stopped eating peanut butter, I need my fat source since I'm on a gluten-free diet, and have been losing weight as a result.

Anyway we'll see, so far gluten-free is helping a lot with my face.

#17 Sickofzitall

Sickofzitall

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:08 PM

I have had this exact problem since I was about 13 - I'm 25 now - and the only thing that really lessened the painful cysts and very large zits was Accutane. Accutane is awful, but I don't think I would un-do it. I suffered from pretty much all the side effects, but it cleared my skin of the really huge and painful stuff which covered my neck, chest, back and jawline.

You say that the left side is mostly clear, but not the right. Are you right-handed? You may be leaning your face/jaw against your hand without realizing it. I have to check myself on this constantly to keep the neck and jaw area clear even since the accutane. When I was in college, I would break out along the jawline where I rested my head in my hand during class. I took to just letting my head dangle when I fell asleep. hurts the neck, but less acne.

Sickofzitall

I'm gluten-free too. Doesn't help the skin, though, just the guts.

#18 Naruto

Naruto

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:02 PM

Have you tries Niacin?
Also, I started using the regimen Cleanser instead of shaving cream.

#19 jj83

jj83

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:19 PM

man this sounds so familiar... cysts and large red bumps not really zits on my jawline right in the line of my razor.. on one side of my face no the other.. you guys might really have something going here as far as im concerned... hm i dont know should i switch shaving creams? i use gillette fusion hydragel ultra sensitive with aloe and a gillette fusion power turbo 4 blade razor.. also the point about leaning my hand on that side. thanks guys you have really made me think.. whats the deal with the peanut allergy? is that a possibility ive never been allergic to anything before i my life

#20 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE (jj83 @ Aug 1 2009, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
whats the deal with the peanut allergy? is that a possibility ive never been allergic to anything before i my life

You could be allergic to many things and not know it. I had no idea I was allergic to anything either, yet when I started avoiding citrus fruit, my horrible cystic acne I'd had for years went away.

There are other types of allergic reactions besides sneezing, hives, rashes and anaphylactic shock. Because there are other types of antibodies that react besides the ones that cause immediate reactions like the ones above. In addition, there are other types of food intolerances in addition to allergies. And even if these allergies don't directly cause a pimple, it causes inflammation which isn't good for you and worsens acne.

Try avoiding things one by one (called an elimination diet) to see if it helps. The most common are:
wheat/gluten, dairy, egg whites, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, soy.

More info: http://www.acne.org/...p...t&p=2574130