The seborrheic dermatitis thread

1,014 posts in this topic

Had a flare up of Seb Derm recently following a one week course of antibiotics for a future dental treatment. Things were not good and I had run out of my usual Nizoral Ketoconazole 2% cream which has always worked wonders but is only available on prescription. Doctor in UK prescribed me Daktarin Miconazole Nitrate cream but it only made things worse. Awful stuff. Went back to the doctor and explained I had always used Nizoral and that worked in the past and they prescribed me Daktarin Intensiv Ketoconazole 2% cream. Within seconds of applying the cream the dryness was gone and the redness significantly reduced and the best news for UK customers is that the cream is available to purchase in Superdrug and Boots with no prescription.

If you are suffering from Seb Derm and haven't tried Daktarin Intensive Ketoconazole 2% cream then I would highly recommend it. Almost clear now after day two of use.

Great to hear. Nizoral works well for those with seborrheic dermatitis. I find ketoconazole works very effectively as treatment method.

First thank you all for your posts and sharing experiences.
I am constantly developping white pus zits around mouth and chin! I started developing this about a year ago.
Symptoms
---------------
- constant small white pus zits around mouth and chin. dry up in about 2-3 days.
- few more start when one stops!
- red bumps
- redness
- All these symptoms only around nose , mouth and chin. rest of the face is clear!
- constant Dandruff also.

This thing brought me down so much in my life! There are days when i just sit in my room and cry because I have pretty much tried everything under the sun. I am even worried to go meet my sisters kids sad.png Please help share your expertise and what worked for you guys. Please drop a note and i really need your help & support to keep me motivated to see the light at the end of tunnel.
thanks!

Because you mention "dry up in about 2-3 days", can you confirm whether the symptoms involve pustules that ooze a clear yellow fluid which dries up to yellow crusts? If so, you may have an unknown disease, for which the following dedicated forum has been created: oozingyellowcrusts.com

The problem mimics impetigo, but doesn't seem to be impetigo. Suffers have often seen multiple dermatologists, multiple different diagnoses, multiple antibiotics etc, all without success, accept for a few.

My update ...

I'm still using the doxycycline 50 or 100 once at night, I use the 50 if my face is not itchy, otherwise the 100 for itchy face.

Washing my face with Dr Bronner's liquid lavender soap. Once or double wash morning and night , when I use make-up, it's double wash.

Then ,8/10 minutes after I apply Dan's benzoyl peroxide treatment mixed with clean and clear dual action oil free moisturizer (sometimes I can get some residue that looks like white plastic, when I massage this mix onto my face, so I just kind of remove this white plastic residue flakes) .

No more breaking out, the flakes or dry skin are mostly on my chin area, but just a little.

I use loreal bb cream and to remove it I use clean and clear oil free facial cleansing wipes , the package is white with a lavender color cover,( I put the wipes with the cover down , since they seem to get dry) .

So far it's been good, I had to learn how to use the right quantity of Dr Bronner's liquid lavender soap and how to mix the peroxide with the moisturizer , I usually do 50/50 , or more peroxide if my skin gets oily.

At the moment I have no redness, just the normal redness that can come with scrubbing after washing my face( I have very sensitive skin).

I have no active pimples , and I have been doing this for about 2 months altogether.

My scalp is under control , no flakes or bumps, I keep using loreal sulfate free pink color bottle shampoo, no conditioner or anything else on my scalp, I think , it must the doxycycline doing something.

I have been doing some living lately , the only thing that I try to avoid is milk and cheese, cheese is really hard.

I eat almost anything except for peanuts or chocolate(I can have a bar of twix if I really have a crave).

I eat eggs for breakfast.I don't go on extreme healthy diets.

This is what I have been doing lately and it's keeping me mostly flake free and stress free.

I hope you guys can find what works because I understand how stressful this is.

Take care!

Hi all , i hope everyone is doing good.

flekkn thanks for the great response , i think that you are right . However somehow,what works for 1 person might not work for another. For me what makes a huge difference is ketoconazole 2% , cetaphil products for eczema and ACV with the mother .

i have tried salt cleansing method with mediterranean salt but it got worse.

CharBar don't give up hope , be patient and persistent to find a solution.

I have read the entire thread and took notes . What helped most people was some kind of pyrithione zinc product, so i would suggest everyone who hasnt found a solution yet to have in mind that the following products helped some people a lot:

Dermazinc, znp bar or noble forumla or znp spray (most effective is dermazinc and in amazon site it has many reviews)

Nystatin

cerave lotion

So my update is :

3 months 16 days free of flare ups . Then i got a flare up which i treated with ketoconazole 2% for 3 days(once every night)

Then i got another flare up after 36 days which i treated with the same cream again and it got better right away

For my sculp i continue using ACV with the mother once every week and everything is normal . We will see how it goes. Winter is coming !!!!! :think:

EDIT: i was also very tired and anxious about some things that happened in my life when the flare ups happened

In conclusion i am very satisfied with the outcome. Stay possitive and never stop trying. Take care.

P.S. Bring your friends or anyone you know that has seborrheic dermatitis in this thread on this forum. We should have our own forum at some point too.

Edited by Hopedieslast

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i don't sell or advertise products, i'm here to discuss possible cures for S.D.

Remedies so far :

for the face: Restoraderm cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer (2x daily)
for the sculp: 1 cup of water 1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar(with the mother) left for 5 minutes after regular shampoo

current status of skin : crystal clear

----------the best way to predict the future, is to create it------------

HopeDiesLast

@Hopedieslast...Yes , stress plays a huge part ,but I also think stress is the cause of all illnesses.

I had an appointment with my dermatologist yesterday and he asked about my stress levels,pfff ...through the roof, always.

I need to start watching more comedies, and don't take things too seriously.

Flekkn...I think you make a lot of sense too , I seem to do well regarding hydrogen or benzoyl peroxide too.

Take care everyone and keep postings your experiences with medications or over the counter.

Hi guys! I haven't posted in this forum yet, but I'm Lore and I suffer from seb derm on my face :) It was quite severe, but Accutane actually relieved me entirely of the seb derm.

When I came off of the Accutane my skin remained fine seb-derm wise, however as it has gotten colder and moved into the winter seasons, I have noticed patches on the upper section of both sides of my cheek that are extremely red and dry that always flare up in the exact same place. Sometimes they last for a day, sometimes not even, but I have one right now that has lasted for a week and won't seem to go anywhere. It's extremely red and flakey, but moisturizer seemed to make it worse. Cetaphil (which works gloriously on the rest of my face), almost seemed to make it really flare up to the point where it looked swollen. I since have left it to dry out on its own, but it doesn't seem to really be budging. It's a lot less red, but still there.

The weird thing is, looking back at photos, this area didn't use to have seb derm before anyway, so I'm truly wondering if it is or not. But, with it flaring up in the dryer winter and responding bad to moisturizer, I don't seem to think it could be anything else?

Edited by Lore91

On 10/11/2015, 3:21:44, Lore91 said:

Hi guys! I haven't posted in this forum yet, but I'm Lore and I suffer from seb derm on my face :) It was quite severe, but Accutane actually relieved me entirely of the seb derm.

When I came off of the Accutane my skin remained fine seb-derm wise, however as it has gotten colder and moved into the winter seasons, I have noticed patches on the upper section of both sides of my cheek that are extremely red and dry that always flare up in the exact same place. Sometimes they last for a day, sometimes not even, but I have one right now that has lasted for a week and won't seem to go anywhere. It's extremely red and flakey, but moisturizer seemed to make it worse. Cetaphil (which works gloriously on the rest of my face), almost seemed to make it really flare up to the point where it looked swollen. I since have left it to dry out on its own, but it doesn't seem to really be budging. It's a lot less red, but still there.

The weird thing is, looking back at photos, this area didn't use to have seb derm before anyway, so I'm truly wondering if it is or not. But, with it flaring up in the dryer winter and responding bad to moisturizer, I don't seem to think it could be anything else?

Hello Lore91

i have suggested some things previously that worked for me  you can always check them out. From my experience S.D. sometimes transfers to others areas from where it was previously from time to time . I believe these areas are near the previous ones . 

Although i have mentioned  a cleanser and a moisturizer i have been using when i have a flare up the only thing that really works is ketoconazole 2% which is under different brands in various countries throughout the world. 

Addiotionally what you can try is applying fresh aloe vera from a plant . It didnt work for my at all but for some it did work . Moreover it can be a great moisturizer and has healing properties . All natural.

Take care  Edited by Hopedieslast

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remedies so far :

for the sculp: 1 cup of water 1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar(with the mother) left for 5 minutes after regular shampoo

HopeDiesLast

1 minute ago, SebdermRelief said:

On 10/11/2015, 05:21:44, Lore91 said:

While you were taking accutane the oil production output from your skin decreased. In the case with seb derm, the Malassezia yeasts feed on oils on your skin. So in theory accutane should help. The most notable side effect with accutane is dry skin. It's also been linked in causing depression and liver damage with long term use.

Seb derm usually becomes worse in the winter months due to the drier air, winds and lack of sunlight. I've written how important vitamin D from the sun is for improving seborrheic dermatitis. Most people's skin need moisturisers around this time of the year.

For the stubborn patches on your skin try using an alpha hydroxy acid with glycolic acid to lightly exfoliate the affected areas. A raw honey mask a few times a week will help minimize flare ups. Washing with epsom or sea salt will calm down the irritation. The minerals in these salts are anti-inflammatory which should help calm redness. 

The only other condition I can think of is maybe eczema. This condition causes one to have patches of rough and inflamed skin.  

Edited by SebdermRelief

"The epiphenomena of Propionibacterium acnes overgrowth, Malassezia furfur multiplication, follicular wall rupture, inflammation both innate and adaptive, folliculopilosebaceous unit disintegration, secondary non-commensal bacterial infection, sinus formation and scarring are all downstream from mTORC1."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3746129/

"Acne should be regarded as an mTORC1-driven disease of civilization, like obesity, type 2 diabetes and cancer induced by Western diet."

http://www.medicaljournals.se/acta/content/?doi=10.2340/00015555-1358&html=1

Gonna try and bump this thread,

After doing alot of research, I think I have figured out what has been giving me so many problems. First, I have had acne since i was a teen. I have been on 2 courses of accutane. Once when I was in high school for facial acne, which completely cleared. The second course was for a strange flare up around age 19 on my lower back and chest, no facial acne. Which leads me to today.

I am 28 year old male, and the last year or so Ive started noticing flaky eyebrows, then my mustache would get really red and irritated and start flaking. Now most recently Ive really noticed in the last 6 months or so my skin on my face has become very oily and ive started getting blotchy red spots around my nose and the skin has been very irritated. All this time the inside of my ears have been very flaky and of course my scalp as well. Also, my dad has really bad SD as far back as I can remember, but Ive never seen him with a pimple, so he just lets it run its course and it goes away.

All of this hasn't been that bothersome to me, so what I have a flaky beard and itchy scalp, the problem is that I have started breaking out really bad around my nose area where the oiliness has returned. Sometimes just small pimples, sometimes deep cystic acne. The spots are not healing at all as fast as they used to, I used to get a pimple and the red mark would be faded a week or two later. Now it sticks around for a month or 2 before even beginning to fade. This is the only place that I am breaking out. The Derm has given me 2 different antibiotics, but neither helped, and there is no way I can use a retinoid like Retin-a or differin, because it instantly flares up my SB worse than ever.

I am seriously considering going on another round of accutane, from what Ive read, this is the only medication that will help both SD and acne, because all of the steroid treatments are good for SD but terrible for acne, and all the acne treatments work well for acne, but flare up the SD. My acne is mild, but it has been there consistently for 5 months now and I want to get a jump on it before it gets out of hand.

Just wondering about the long term benefits, when I last took accutane I was clear for 9 years and and it seems my oil production was greatly reduced, or at least I think it was for those 9 years, because I just recently noticed how oily my skin is. If I take a full 6-8 months of accutane, I know the acne and SD will go away during treatment, but its after treatment that I want to know about. Will I be able to use more SD prescriptions without having to worry about breaking out? Will the oil production be less in general and maybe calm down the SD for a long time?? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Doc has already given me the OK for accutane, now I just need to decided what to do.

Edited by Jones4545

Accutane definately cleared my facial seb derm, but it did stay behind my ears/around nose. Before accutane the only thing that worked was a weekly five minute sunbed (but again... This stopped working in the winter months when my skin broke out horrendously). Its give or take ;(

i've had a bad flare up behind my ears the past couple of weeks which is very annoying... It's permanantly red and ireitated-looking, but has small bumps that look lile acne. Ugh

quick update 

so i moved to australia , victoria specificaly . My S.D. got worse .It reappeared after 27 days.
I reckon that it has something to do with the humidity here. The humidity is around 50%-85% the whole time .
Also i can't find any alcohol at the drugs store. I usually apply it around my nose to the affected areas and they somehow improve a little. 

anyways what can you do 

EDIT: after shave is a good choice for alcohol  :-)

Edited by Hopedieslast

Remedies so far :

HopeDiesLast

My son has suffered with Seborrhoeic dermatitis for approx 5 years. We tried every cream going with no luck. We honestly bought Sebclair as a last resort but I have to say it is a fantastic product and does work. We thought that my son's skin would become used to the cream and would not have the desired effect with regard to the redness and flaky skin but I am pleased to say it does still work and we are so grateful it does