Photo

most easily absorbed form of zinc

zinc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 nowonder

nowonder

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:53 PM

I'm going to add zinc to my supplement list. There are so many different forms of zinc and also different brands to choose from. Can anyone help me find one of the better brands/forms? Or at least what's worked for them in the battle against acne. Please include dosage/mg information.

-gluconate
-picolinate
-acetate
-citrate
-many others

then there are the chelated forms of many of those.

thanks bye.

#2 Stephen01

Stephen01

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:59 PM

OptiZinc and Zinc Picolinate are supposedly the two best in terms of absorption. The OptiZinc typically comes in 30 mg doses whereas you can find the Picolinate in 50 mg doses. I just purchased Source Naturals OptiZinc 30mg the other day myself.

#3 nowonder

nowonder

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:45 PM

I was looking at the source naturals optizinc and it says there is also copper in there. I read somewhere that taking zinc and copper together in a supplement may interfere with the absorption of either. How is it working for you, by the way?

Looking at the labels of the different zinc supplements, they usually say 15mg - 50mg, but how much "elemental zinc" is in those 15mg - 50mg? Is there a way to tell?

#4 Mr. Crab

Mr. Crab

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:48 PM

I got the Picolinate and am liking it so far.

#5 emptydreams

emptydreams

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:14 AM

I purchased some OptiZinc the other week - Zinc Monomethionine 75mg (providing elemental Zinc 15mg). I use this brand (er, seems I can't post links) - It's called Kordel's Agewise Opti Zinc Plus. Also contains Magnesium and Vitamin B6.

I only take one tablet after dinner every night (or at least an hour before bed) with a probiotic. Haven't had any problems with it and saw results after the first night. Prior to taking them I had a lot of pigmentation from picking and was dealing with awful bumps along my jaw (around my mouth). Bumps were developing into pimples and I was having to deal with a new one on a daily basis. But after a couple of days of taking the zinc things were looking a bit better. I have had a couple of small painful bumps (to the touch but not visible) since but that's about it. They've gone away after a couple of days. Didin't come to a head or anything.

I also noticed that my skin has gotten a bit drier (cheeks mostly) and my face isn't as oily by the end of the day. Really happy with the results so far and glad that I finally took the plunge and started taking Zinc because it seems to be working for me.

#6 databased

databased

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE (nowonder @ May 25 2009, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looking at the labels of the different zinc supplements, they usually say 15mg - 50mg, but how much "elemental zinc" is in those 15mg - 50mg? Is there a way to tell?

In the U.S., all zinc supplements I have found list no other weight other than elemental zinc. The ingredient list will say, for example "Zinc (from zinc picolinate) ....... 30mg". If your country has some medical body that defines RDAs, and if the zinc bottle also lists what %RDA a pill contains, you could also do the math from that.

#7 Stephen01

Stephen01

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (nowonder @ May 25 2009, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was looking at the source naturals optizinc and it says there is also copper in there. I read somewhere that taking zinc and copper together in a supplement may interfere with the absorption of either. How is it working for you, by the way?

There should be no affect on absorption of zinc due to copper intake, especially at the low levels of copper you will get from the Source Naturals. Supposedly high amounts of zinc over a period of time does interfere with copper absorption though so including copper with the zinc will only help.

Taking large quantities of zinc (50 mg/day or more) over a period of weeks can interfere with copper bioavailability. High intake of zinc induces the intestinal synthesis of a copper-binding protein called metallothionein. Metallothionein traps copper within intestinal cells and prevents its systemic absorption (see Copper). More typical intakes of zinc do not affect copper absorption and high copper intakes do not affect zinc absorption (5).

http://lpi.oregonsta.../minerals/zinc/

#8 nowonder

nowonder

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:20 PM

I'm confused, a lot of products will say something like: 300mg zinc(15mg elemental zinc). The recommended daily dosage of zinc is 15mg, is this the elemental zinc amount or the other?

Also, is taking 45mg elemental zinc per day too much?

#9 rakbs

rakbs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (nowonder @ May 26 2009, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm confused, a lot of products will say something like: 300mg zinc(15mg elemental zinc). The recommended daily dosage of zinc is 15mg, is this the elemental zinc amount or the other?

The RDA for zinc is based on elemental zinc only.

Also, is taking 45mg elemental zinc per day too much?

In the short term, and from supplemental forms, no.

#10 nowonder

nowonder

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:43 AM

I was thinking about taking 45mg elemental zinc per day for about a week or two, then going down to 30mg a day for the long term. This should be fine, right?