Photo

Best Makeup for Acne Scars??

makeup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 truckg

truckg

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:58 AM

I am looking for the absolute best makeup/cover for my acne scars on my cheeks. It's okay if it's really heavy, because I would only want to use it on the areas where I have the worst scarring (cheek area). Is there anything better than dermablend? What about stage makeup? Ugh, why can't it suddenly become fashionable to go out with our faces painted various colors, then I could cover my scars and not look weird while doing so.

Thank you in advance for any makeup/coverup product suggestions! You guys are amazing!! eusa_clap.gif

#2 godSgift

godSgift

godSgift

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:23 AM

Hello there. Well I am tan skinned and my acne leaves behind black scars, i have gone through all the expensive , organic make up out there and have had no type of luck until my derm perscribed CLINQUE SUPER BALANCED FOUNDATION. It is awesome!!! eusa_dance.gif It's also for acne pron skin, it wont clog your pores! I used the foundation and mineral powder with the blush. I cant belive how good it looks and last.And it feels as if I have no make up on sometimes, thats how light weight it is. My face looks flawles. It's not cakey or oilly. It works for me! Hope it works for you! The foundation is $20 and so is the mineral powder, the blush is $30, yes a little expensive but this is our faces we are talking about right? lol it's awesome

#3 LexieF

LexieF

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:30 AM

Merle Norman, Power base foundation. It's more like a cream - has zinc oxide in it which helps acne skin. Gives opaque coverage for flaws, and scars. $15 last a long time and wears until you remove it.

#4 nma

nma

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:30 AM

Is there such a thing as makeup for guys? If so, which is the best?

#5 truckg

truckg

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2009 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (nma @ May 15 2009, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why would makeup for guys be any different than makeup for girls? Skin is skin. Why not just find the best makeup, period?

#6 Fiyero

Fiyero

I won the Wicked Lottery - 11/10/07!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:55 PM

yes, some makeup companies have products specifically designed for men. however they tend to be more expensive. the only noticeable difference is the packaging and sometimes the fragrance. imo it is not worth it -- you'd be better off purchasing regular makeup that could potentially have better formulas since they will come from bigger, reputable companies.

#7 sleepysofa

sleepysofa

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:14 AM

There are a couple of products that I can't live without for concealing acne scars:

Instant Mattification pore perfecting gel-powder by Bliss --- (this one is clear)

and

Skin Perfection Gel by Perfekt (this one is tinted)

I use both of these products under and over some light liquid foundation and light concealer. Neither of these products actually conceal the scar with pigment like foundation or concealer does, but they do an amazing job of smoothing the skin, evening skin tone, and filling in the deep pores that are more visible in depressed scar areas.

They also prevent heavy concealers from looking cakey. Put some on before you use your dermablend and it will make a big difference! in my opinion.

For concealer I use Touche Eclat by YSL. It's very light and probably isn't the best product if you want opaque coverage... but I use it because it looks very natural, even when I use a lot, and it blends well.

For the guy who asked about make-up for men-- you should give the Bliss or Perfekt products a try. They're both very sheer and no one will suspect you're wearing make-up! There's also something called Photo-Finish by Smashbox which is totally clear.

#8 nma

nma

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:10 AM

QUOTE (truckg @ May 16 2009, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why would makeup for guys be any different than makeup for girls? Skin is skin. Why not just find the best makeup, period?

Because until now I couldn't find any makeup that wasn't obvious. I need something (if there is such) that you can put on and no one will suspect that you're wearing make-up. So I thought there might be such a line especially designed for men.

QUOTE (sleepysofa @ May 17 2009, 01:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For the guy who asked about make-up for men-- you should give the Bliss or Perfekt products a try. They're both very sheer and no one will suspect you're wearing make-up! There's also something called Photo-Finish by Smashbox which is totally clear.

Thanks a lot for your answer. Do you know if they have a website and you can order it on the internet? I am in Europe. Thanks.

#9 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:55 AM

I am moving this to cosmetics and style. There are many similar topics about makeup and men, please look around in cosmetics and style for multiple suggestions and member's personal experiences.

I like and recommend mineral makeup. It takes time to learn how to apply it and it also requires the proper tools to make it look imperceptible. It takes technique and practice to make it look natural, but it CAN be done. I like Everyday Minerals. Some like Smokey Mountain Minerals. I would not suggest Bare Minerals/Bare Essentuals as their makeup contains bismuth oxychloride and there's a distinctive sheen to the makeup; it's very obvious when on.

#10 ladyJ

ladyJ

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:19 AM

Make up for ever foundations and concealers have great coverage. MAC does too but I've heard a lot of people break out from their line. I haven't broke out but everyone is different.

#11 irisdc88

irisdc88

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2009 - 03:12 AM

truckg,

I posted a thread that talks about just what you are looking for.

Here is the link:

Hope this helps and good luck!

Iris

#12 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2009 - 03:39 AM

As part of our anti-spam measures, new members cannot post links.

#13 )Eileen(

)Eileen(

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2009 - 01:46 PM

just start using the aha on this site. it will remove the scars within a few days of using it. (:

#14 rmg65

rmg65

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:45 AM

Hi!

I love these kinds of discussions- I am a huge beauty product junkie, and have tried a few different foundations and formulas. The ones I found best are Laura Mercier silk creme foundation and Revlon Colorstay- both high coverage and great quality! The oil-free GloMinerals concealer is also amazing- really great finish and so smooth. I recently started a blog to share my beauty loves and my experience with acne, so check it out if you are interested! I would love a comment and feedback- smile.gif

-Bec

Edited by rmg65, 28 January 2011 - 01:29 PM.

#15 artvsscience

artvsscience

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:27 AM

i have really bad acne scars on my cheeks and i've tried and tested many foundations. liquid foundations definitely give better coverage than powder foundations so defs look for something along that line. and i'm currently using the Laura Mercier Silk Creme foundation which is AMAZING. it gives the best coverage i've ever seen and it blends really well with my skin tone. Revlon Colorstay is also pretty good, gives great coverage just that it makes me look pink? Whereas the LM foundation gives me a more natural dewy kind of look.
and it didn't make me break out or anything :) its pretty expensive though but definitely worth it :) i switch in between LM and Revlon, depending if i have school or i'm going out

hope that helpss!

#16 makeupforacne

makeupforacne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:15 PM

Covering acne scars is tricky, especially if you still have active acne. The products that give the best coverage also tend to make you break out, since they are heavier and creamier. The ones I've had the best results from are:

Kat Von D Tattoo Concealer (a little goes a long way. doesn't work well on tattoos, but is great on scars)

Cover Fx (you will probably need someone to help you get the exact color and setting powder mix)

Tarte The Eraser (not as heavy coverage, but doesn't make me break out)

L'oreal True Match (also, not as heavy coverage but great range of colors for exact match)

Someone mentioned MAC makeup. I love all their makeup EXCEPT their foundations and concealers, which make me break out.

Hope that helps!

#17 Optimistic123

Optimistic123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (Wynne @ May 23 2009, 03:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As part of our anti-spam measures, new members cannot post links.

Sorry...I'm new to the site. Can you tell me what AHA stands for?

#18 hope2011

hope2011

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:44 PM

This is a great discussion - i don't have active acne but have depressed acne scars and red marks on my cheeks. Any suggestions what I can use to cover these? I'm currently using Makeup forever concealer and foundation but I find a few hours after application it disappears exposing my red spots and deep marks sad.gif

I know someone suggested - Instant Mattification pore perfecting gel-powder by Bliss --- (this one is clear) and
Skin Perfection Gel by Perfekt (this one is tinted) but does anyone know if it works? I don't want to keep spending on products!! I've gone bankrupt. Would this be for someone with issues like mine?

What other brands are good for acne prone skin? Derma told me to try out non comodogenic or any water based foundations/concealers... it's just so tough to find those specific ones. Anyone know of any brands that do that - I know Makeup Forever does and Clinique too. Unfortunately the Clinique shades didn't work for my skin tone.

I'm between Fitzpatrick Skin Type IV and V.

Any help would be much appreciated smile.gif

#19 Bonbonique

Bonbonique

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:03 AM

^^ I have the same problem. I have pitted scars on my cheeks along with some red PIH spots. I'm looking for a concealer that does not clog pores...the one I'm currently using is from "Gio Pelle" it has mineral oil and beeswax which clog pores sad.gifsad.gif guys please I need help!!!

#20 hope2011

hope2011

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:29 AM

I went to Sephora yesterday and got some samples of the Lorac primer. It is oil free, fragrance free and silicone free. I'm using it this morning (Only been an hour so far) and makeup seems to be in place and the depression lines/scars seem more even. Let's see how long it lasts!!! But i'm actually surprised at the work a primer does. Try it! I've done some research on primers to make sure they aren't harmful and everything I read seemed to say as long as it is not silicone based or made with mineral oil etc I should be okay. I guess I will give it a shot and see how my skin reacts. Good luck!