Photo

Hormonal acne

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 tricia

tricia

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2004 - 12:09 PM

I have been reading these boards and wondering if my diet which does consist of quite a bit of dairy--milk, cheese, ice cream, yogurt--was maybe aggravating my monthly outbreaks. Also I tend to heal slower and would like to speed that up. Well I decided to go to the doctor and have my hormones checked and they came back fine. I asked the doctor is the hormones in milk could be affecting me and the doctor said my hormones were fine. I had also had my sugar levels checked since I eat a lot of sugar and that was alright too. I just wonder where the proof could lie in "hormonal acne from food" when it doesn't register on tests? I know allergies from dairy exist in some, which is not me or I would consistently break out. I'm not going to cut out dairy until I have something more to go on, any suggestions?

#2 dudeman

dudeman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2004 - 12:21 PM

There are many different hormones and doctors don't usually check them all. There are a lot of variables that come into play as well, such as organ hormone levels, blood hormones, fluctuations, etc.

Anyway, I eat totally organic dairy, and I've cut back on it, just for basic health reasons. If anything, I think it was all the fat in cheese that had been contributing to my breakouts.

#3 agentcooper

agentcooper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2004 - 12:28 PM

your monthly outbreaks are caused by a raising and lowering of female hormones which don't have anything to do with food hormones. i'm pretty sure all of my acne is hormonal but unfortunately i can't take pills to regulate them.

as for healing slower, that could have to do with vitamin deficiencies. you definately need to make sure you are eating a balanced diet. at least start taking some zinc, which will give your immune system a boost and will definately help with healing time. zinc should also help with your acne, even if it is caused by hormones.

#4 tricia

tricia

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2004 - 01:52 PM

Thanks for the replies, I was aware of hormone fluctuations changing a little but figured that was normal. I've been on zinc before along with alot of other vitamins but didn't see a big difference. I did see a little difference when on inositol, (I have also taken all b vitamins) but the high dosage of powdered inositol I was on to combat OCD was hard to stay on. It didd help my skin because it cleanses the bowels alot, like fiber in beans. You have to get used to it. It's supposed to help brain chemistry too.

#5 dudeman

dudeman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2004 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE(tricia @ Jun 3 2004, 01:39 PM)
Thanks for the replies, I was aware of hormone fluctuations changing a little but figured that was normal.  I've been on zinc before along with alot of other vitamins but didn't see a big difference.  I did see a little difference when on inositol, (I have also taken all b vitamins) but the high dosage of powdered inositol I was on to combat OCD was hard to stay on.  It didd help my skin because it cleanses the bowels alot, like fiber in beans.  You have to get used to it.  It's supposed to help brain chemistry too.

Your acne may be caused/aggravated by a weakened digestive system. I suggest you start taking pro-biotic acidoplilus' (tried and true, easily obtainable from any quality health food or grocery store). Many people have weakened digestive tracts and don't know it, and what it does (among other things) is inhibit the bodies natural obsorbtion of nutrients from the food you eat, causing deficiencies. Drink lots of water, too (8-10 glasses a day). smile.gif

Of course, this may just be the first piece of the puzzle. But give it a try - it'll be very, very healthy for you even if it turns out to not be what's causing the acne.

Personally, it wasn't until I "healthed up" my digestive system that my good eating habits started having any effect on my acne. I wasn't assimilating the nutrients properly before.

#6 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2004 - 05:44 PM

Theres plenty of acidophilus in yogurt. PLus theres other digestive aiding bacteria and it tastes good.

#7 dudeman

dudeman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE(blackbirdbeatle @ Jun 3 2004, 05:31 PM)
Theres plenty of acidophilus in yogurt. PLus theres other digestive aiding bacteria and it tastes good.

Just be mindful of the sugar content.

#8 Mr. T

Mr. T

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2004 - 02:43 AM

i've read that acne that caused by hormones is not caused by too much of them, but from the reaction of the body to them (so i genes after all), but it also means that any increase of the hormonal balance will effect the acne (because the status que already causes acne).

#9 tricia

tricia

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2004 - 04:37 PM

Ultimately I think hormonal fluctuations that cause acne do go back to genes, because there are some pretty loopy people out there with clear skin. Interesting

#10 ConfettiedCannoli

ConfettiedCannoli

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2004 - 06:18 PM

Hey Tricia,

I had a similar experience as you. About a year ago, I began developing cystic acne and an extremely mild case of hirsutism. (My cycles are sometimes erratic, as well.) Anyhow, I visited with an endocrinologist in December fully expecting to be diagnosed with PCOS, or at the very least, affirmation that my testosterone level was too high. I had a bunch of expensive tests performed, only to be informed that all of my hormone levels are within the normal range. I have absolutely no iota what to make of this? I thought, surely, the hirsutism would be the clincher, and I could then begin Yasmin or some other anti-androgen prescription. Last December, I radically modified my diet in an effort to naturally restore hormonal balance (presuming this is the problem). My skin was looking decent for the past few months, but then just this past month, my face, particularly jawline and cheeks, erupted in small cysts. Fortunately, the Retin A Micro I've been applying for several months too dried them up quickly. I've done substantial research as to which foods I should/shouldn't eat and which vitamins/herbal supplements to include, so I especially don't know what to make of this most recent breakout. Anyhow, just wanted to let ya know you are not alone!

#11 tricia

tricia

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2004 - 06:35 PM

You know I woudn't say I have hirsutism, but interestingly enough, the places I just got a bad breakout from that stayed for months and scarred ended up having some fine hairs growing out of them, where I had none before. I thought maybe it was a side effect of using too much hydrocortisone cream(prescription strength, which I think caused some of the scarring too. However, then I wondered which came first, the hairs, that maybe plugged the pores and caused the problem, or the spots which for some reason caused more hair to grow when healing. :think:

The doctors said I had cellulitis for awhile, then some said I was allergic to neosporin. I know it started when I was a bit stressed and then I got even more stressed later when it was at it's worse. I try to stay calm now B)

#12 Kelly

Kelly

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2004 - 04:36 AM

I have read that adult acne is normally not caused my excess hormone levels,it can be that your body is sensitive to normal levels of the hormones.

You can still try things like spiro if you have normal levels of hormones.

#13 flim flam

flim flam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2004 - 06:16 AM

The hormone that causes acne is DHT (dihydrotestosterone), so checking testosterone levels etc isn't likely to reveal anything.

Also like Kelly said, having acne doesn't mean you necessarily have high levels of DHT - it could just be that your sebaceous glands are particularly sensitive to it.

#14 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2004 - 05:22 PM

If you want to inhibit the conversion of testosterone to DHT there are tons of foods and drinks that do it. Zinc does this and well as saw palmetto(very well like spiro) and green tea.