1 reply to this topic

#1 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:59 PM

In the last few days, the mods have had to close several threads in which the OP was threatening suicide. This has caused some resentment and hard feelings, which was not our intention at all. So we'd like to explain a bit more about the way we handle suicide threats -- which is to close the thread and direct the poster to other, more appropriate, resources.

Yes, Acne.org is a support board. But it's an acne support board. We simply aren't able to offer suicidal people the sort of help and attention they need in a time of crisis.

The mods on this board aren't trained in suicide intervention. Also, we can't always be around when such threads are posted ....... and while most members here are warm, kind and encouraging in their responses, there always seems to be that special someone ready to flame you when you're down. doubt.gif

When we close these threads, it's not because we don't care. It's because we want people who are truly suicidal to get help from the experts.

And if someone is threatening suicide primarily to get attention (which does happen!), we really don't think that's fair to the other members of the board. Suicide threats are deeply distressing, and we do not feel that Acne.org is an appropriate forum in which to deal with them.

Thank you for your understanding.

#2 Brandy

Brandy

• Regimen Assistance
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:48 AM

I'd like to add the following tip from Alexander.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255), a free, 24-hour hotline available to anyone in suicidal crisis or emotional distress.

http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users