Photo

People will go crazy, but...what about diet pills?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 GoldRex

GoldRex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 06:26 PM

I am interested in altering diet. I always am. I do feel that by eliminating toxic things (and the more I think about it, the more I feel like perricone foods are just bad for me) I could start to control my acne.

But... I am a big person. I'm very thin, but very tall (6'5"), and find that food is a big psychological reward mechanism for me. I can do many diets for a few days... and then I find that my body either crashes or my self-esteem will. Literally, it's like: well I've got a fucked up face (not that bad, but we've all been there), so why can't I have something that I know will give me pleasure. I never actually gain weight, so it's like... Why can't I have fun to compensate for this emotional/physical/appearance problem? I'm sure part of the self-esteem thing is chemical, I'm sure it's largely blood sugar. But still.

What about adding something like an ephedra free diet pill to the mix to curb cravings (I guess they're all ephedra free, now)? It seems to me like a stimulant would fix the energy problem, and stop the cravings that I eventually get.

Blast away, if you must. I can take the abuse ("you people are going to pay for going to dermatologists. You're going to pay"). But don't expect too much feedback from me if you're just writing to scream and moan about how I'm goign to hell in a handbasket.

#2 smacks487

smacks487

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 06:30 PM

just stick with moderation

i'm not as big as you but i'm about 6'1'' maybe 6'2'' and 160lbs and i have acne

i also love food

but stick with healthy moderation cravings will go away in a week or two
the writing on the wall

#3 GoldRex

GoldRex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 06:32 PM

Thanks for the input. smile.gif

#4 Fame

Fame

All About this U

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:43 PM

Those pills dont work. Try a bottle out though and see if for yourself.
We Dont Care About No one but this U. 2004 STATE CHAMPIONS.

#5 GoldRex

GoldRex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:45 PM

I have. They do.

#6 Fame

Fame

All About this U

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:57 PM

Which one did you try? Were you on a diet at the time? Did you workout as well?

#7 zha

zha

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:06 PM

I take it that the goal of your potential new diets is to get rid of your acne, not to be healthier, right? If the goal is to be healthier, this probably isn't the way to do it. So, I guess that leaves getting rid of acne.

If, indeed, diet pills will allow you to follow a diet that will eliminate your acne, then IMO it might be worth the negatives. But it sounds like you'd have to take the diet pills for a fairly long period of time for them to do you any good. And, well, longterm side-effects suck. If it were me, I'd steer clear of taking those things on a longterm basis.
- Zha

#8 GoldRex

GoldRex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 12:08 AM

zha:
Thanks for the honest reply. That is my philosophy, frankly: I weigh the negative long term effects of acne against the negative long term effects of diet pills. *shrugs*

Fame:
If you really want to know (and don't laugh!), it was ephedra-free TrimSpa. My roommate is the really amazing one, though. She's been on it since January, and has steadily lost 35 pounds. Essentially, you just lose appetite. And once I lose my appetite, my hunger is no longer driven by cravings-- it's driven by intellectual choice, which makes it much easier for me to follow an acne-friendly diet.

#9 zha

zha

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 12:46 AM

Actually, now that I think of it... After you've been on a certain diet for a while, you may be able to wean yourself off of the diet pills without having mad-crazy food cravings. I've heard that one gets used to a new diet within two weeks or so and stops having cravings for the food they used to eat (though, personally, two weeks has never been long enough for me...).

Anyway, good luck. smile.gif
- Zha

#10 GoldRex

GoldRex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 12:52 AM

Good points, and thanks. smile.gif

#11 Bailey

Bailey

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 01:44 AM

Well, IMO ephedra free diet pills are worthless. I used to take diet pills (abuse them) and I'm ok. Unless there is some problem internally that I don't know about. So I don't think you'll have to worry about long trem affects. But everyone is different I guess. I don't know..it's a personal choice. Even when taking diet pills..you still need good old fasion willpower. In that case, you don't even really need the pills if you have willpower.

#12 Fame

Fame

All About this U

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 06:12 AM

QUOTE(GoldRex @ Jun 2 2004, 01:55 AM)
zha:
Thanks for the honest reply. That is my philosophy, frankly: I weigh the negative long term effects of acne against the negative long term effects of diet pills. *shrugs*

Fame:
If you really want to know (and don't laugh!), it was ephedra-free TrimSpa. My roommate is the really amazing one, though. She's been on it since January, and has steadily lost 35 pounds. Essentially, you just lose appetite. And once I lose my appetite, my hunger is no longer driven by cravings-- it's driven by intellectual choice, which makes it much easier for me to follow an acne-friendly diet.

Well as long as you saw results, I guess its Ok. Ultimately I think these *magic* pills really do nothing but like you said, Control appetite. But hey it works for some people I suppose.

#13 Monkeypie

Monkeypie

It's like dancing only better.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 10:15 AM

I find the idea that a pill controls when I eat instead of me controlling when I eat a little disturbing. I would think the willpower needed to eat better is strength-building in itself. I would be so proud of myself for sticking with it.

I hope if you use them, you only use them to develop good habits and then get off of them, rather than become dependent on them forever. Good luck though.
Illusion is the first of all pleasures.
-Oscar Wilde

#14 Bailey

Bailey

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 02:19 PM

Well, the way they work (the one's with ephedra) is they make you SICK. You feel so nauseous..you don't even want to eat. They make you jittery, and sick to your stomach. That's whay they did for me. And I did lose a lot of weight. But I abused them..and eventually became Immune. Meaning, they didn't do anything anymore..so I stopped taking them.

If you can take them without becoming dependent..then go ahead (with caution). But like I said..the ephedra free pills are useless.

#15 GoldRex

GoldRex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 03:07 PM

Thanks for the input, guys. Interesting opinion about ephedra-free pills, Bailey. Sorry to hear they don't work for you.