Photo

My Experience on a 3 Month Diet Change and Acne.

atkins

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 thebignosebandit

thebignosebandit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2004 - 06:31 PM

Before I begin let me say that I am a believer that acne and diet somehow have some sort of relation for some people. I do believe that diet is not the direct cause of acne, but it is something that can aggravate the condition. I am currently writing a paper on this.

Well 3 months agoI changed my entire diet. I have cut out your typical fatty foods, I don't have to name them. I have cut out milk, many carbs, refined sugars, etc. My daily routine went like this, breakfast would include a granola bar and a banana. Lunch would be salad, no dressing, and almonds and beans for protein. Dinner would consist of either steamed fish and peas or steamed chicken breast with peas. Water was my only form of drink. Apples and bananas were my snacks, along with almonds for protein. No more red meat, and no more dairy.

I never cheated for the entire month of march and midway april.

I saw no results whatsever, not better, not worse as far as acne was concerned. I still got the random 2/3 zits on my cheeks every week, and maybe 1 or 2 cysts that whole month.

However, i did notice an unhealthy change in my body. Due to my lack of carbs and red meat, i was lacking energy and protein. I felt very energy starved, and lacked the energy i use to have.

Then mid April, i decided to test this diet and eat like a normal person would. Eggs and bacon for breakfast, Wendy's or Chinese food for lunch, dinner would be steak or burgers, spagetti, etc. I still drank water, i even endulged in a little chocolate cake here and there and drank a lot of milk.

As far as acne was concerned it was the same, more or less, maybe even a little bit better. It would, in fact, be a lot better if i never tried on these prescription glasses that causes a cyst at the bridge of my nose. It is nearly June now and my acne is more or less the same/a bit better with this random cyst.

My conclusion is that from my short experience with a diet change, i saw no real difference and i cannot attribute these foods to my acne. However, i still believe i have a serious hormonal problem, and maybe an accumulation of bad diet from all these years attributed to my acne? i don't know, but i cannot conclude myself that acne and diet has any direction because for the past 3 months i really saw no difference.

Again this may be very different for all of us, and we may experience different things, but one this is for sure. If you decide to change your diet for the purpose of acne, be very cautious. Overall health should never be sacrificed for a pimple free face. Do not skimp on carbs and protein, make sure you get a good source of both, almonds wont do, meat is very necessary. As for carbs make sure you are getting them, many have this wierd believe that carbs are evil (Atkins) and also that carbs cause acne (jc?) but carbs play a big role.

Anyways im just offering my personal experience with this diet change, it may be very different for you, so take it as it is.

And no im not going to do a liver flush simply because pushing out olive oil isn't going to do much for my face personally.

Anyways good luck everyone

#2 AcneFighter

AcneFighter

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2004 - 07:22 PM

I have pretty much same experience as yours. I have went through different diets for eight months. I dont know if my acne has improved or not. Maybe it has very little.

Hmm, why are you not interested to do liver flush? Dont you think this would help you? I am going to give liver flush a try.

#3 dudeman

dudeman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 31 May 2004 - 08:07 PM

If your liver/galbladder/pancreas is damaged/stressed, then the dietary changes will have a limited effect. You need to cleanse the organs for the diet to work properly, otherwise it can take up to a year to cleanse on it's own.

How much water were you drinking? That's also extremely important when on a healthy diet, because it flushes out the toxins that are stirred up in the system due to the increased fruit and vegetable intake.

#4 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2004 - 11:04 PM

Hey TBNB...I don't think that carbs alone is a huge factor, but it does play a role. and I love carbs! I eat (brown) rice everyday, and many other carbohappiness things. smile.gif The trick is, to spread it out over the course of the entire day, and not eat it all at once. Again, moderation is important.

I do believe that we all have acne for many different types of reasons. Even more plain to see: We all have different types of acne!

*Bacne
*Chestne
*Legne
*Buttne
*Cystic
*Little breakouts
*Breakouts only on lower half of face
*For me, I've even had breakouts on my FOREARMS for crying out loud! :shifty:
*Milia
*Blackheads
*Much more

We all have different types, so I'm guessing that we all have acne for different reasons. I've experienced many of these, while others have only experienced some. I'm sure that there's more to it than that, of course.

In any case, if you can find something to keep you clear, then I really hope that you can find it.

#5 craig s

craig s

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 12:26 AM

I did exactly the same thing two but for only one month.I practically starved myself for a month only eating nuts, fruit, veg and chicken with the occasional sandwich made out of special low Gi bread.
Pretty safe to say that it did fuck all.My skin didnt get any worse but i was always hungy and when i would eat something "bad"(like instant noodles) i would feel really guilty.i was also snappy towards ppl who would eat the foods i wasnt aloud to eat because they all have perfect skin of course(including my girlfriend) and i know i wasnt aloud to eat it.
It became a huge pain in the arse when it came to eating out or with my family too, im from england originally and my mum does a roast every sunday"hey mum no spuds for me tonight" yeah right. :huh:
I think that if you cant enjoy what you eat, what can you enjoy? i dont eat bad food anyway, everybody always comments on how healthy i eat but that does nothing for my skin.
Im beginning to realise that less is more when it comes to acne(in my case anyway).all i have been using for the last week is cetaphil gentle skin cleanser at night at the sink and a bit of moisturiser before i go to bed-thats it.Nothing in the morning what so ever, i just blot off a bit of the oil built up over the night and so fa r my skin is less oily and hasnt got any worse. question.gif

i dont know,
i have had it with crying at night before i go to bed, im gonna stop feeling sorry for myself and grab this thing by the balls.

#6 hobo2alpha

hobo2alpha

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 01:58 AM

here is the acne diet

http://www.freeacneb.../SampleDiet.htm

you could try it if your still interested, but it is even harder than the one you did.

#7 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 12:34 PM

The problem is that people who have been on antibiotics a lot....could be going back to infancy for ear infections....could be antibiotic "treatment" for acne, more than likely have severe candida overgrowth. Doing a diet change alone isn't going to get candida under control. If it's not dealt with, it continue to proliferate and grow. Plus, you develop what is called, "Leaky Gut Syndrome", which means that the candida and other harmful bacteria and microbes have caused perforation in the colon, allowing partially undigested food particles to enter the bloodstream, causing an allergic reaction. This whole process causes acne.

Also, parasites play a huge part in acne as well. Mercury amalgams cause mercury molecules to enter the gut where it is converted to methyl mercury, and this causes candida to explode. Bacteria in the small bowel particularly greatly contributes to acne. I recall after doing a lot of liverflushing and bowel cleansing, that after my second colonic where TONS of old fecal matter was removed, I instantly got clear skin. I had literally tried everything and spent mega buckoo big bucks on trying to clear my skin, but doing a thorough cleansing of my colon as well as liver, AND removing most of my silver amalgams (fillings), I cleared up. Now, diet doesn't seem to effect my skin one way or another.

In other words....diet is only one thing that can contribute to acne. There are a whole host of other things.

Many times you have to try different things to see what works, and diet alone may not be a contributing factor, ALTHOUGH it's extremely important to remember that diet can contribute to acne in that mucous-forming foods such as dairy, sugar, too much animal protein, etc.....all cause congestion and constipation. This is where candida and bacteria can proliferate and cause acne. Most of these are normal body functions; bacteria is drawn to decaying fecal matter because it needs to be broken down. However, if your colon is FULL of the stuff, then that's when it becomes a problem, causes leaky gut syndrome, and mucoid plaque formation.

http://www.dr-schnitzer.de/acne.html

http://www.health-tr...es/Candida3.asp

#8 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 12:53 PM

Thanks for the info, Denise. I have to agree that diet is only one factor in battling acne.
JC - I also had breakouts on my forearms - I've never heard of anyone else having had this. My breakouts there happened extremely severely and about 2 years before the worst onset of the rest of my acne. It was very strange... It also just vanished suddenly without warning and has never returned with such voracity. I didn't take accutane or anything. It just stopped... :think:
I am left with bad scarring across my forearms, which due to extensive use of silicon pads is not TOO noticeable now...
My homeopath has suggested that my acne may be due to the use of a hormonal drip that my mum had to speed up the onset of her labour whilst she was pregnant with me. Hmm. There's so many factors that could be responsible for acne, I wish they could identify one so they could set about getting a proper cure!
:angry:

#9 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 01:08 PM

That sucks to hear Ross. About the forearms too! I'm fairly luck in that I have skin that doesn't scar (::knocks on wood:smile.gif, but I do hyperpigment easy. The brown marks on my arms have faded a while ago, as my forearm breakouts ceased a while ago. My breakouts have definitely been on a roller coaster ride! :angry: At least I'm on a high now!

#10 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 01:12 PM

Jc, I wonder if your resistance to scarring is due to your regular liver flushes?
Let's hope all our rollercoasters finish on highs!!! I can't be doing with any more plummeting drops or loop-the-loops! biggrin.gif

#11 thebignosebandit

thebignosebandit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 01:36 PM

how do parasites affect acne?
how does bacteria in the colon affect acne?

im just curious.
i don't know too much about how internal organ complications and congestions affect acne.
all i know for sure is that abnormal hormones cause overactive oil glands which allow bacteria to thrive on our face which causes acne.
thats all i know for sure, i am interested in how paraasites internally affect our acne.
thanks

#12 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 01:46 PM

Hmm I'm not sure about my resistance...I only started liver flushing 2 months ago, so I doubt that's it! You know, before my joining this board I was SOOOOO ignorant to acne and breakouts. And I've had it for 9 years!! I suppose that I never let it get to me. When I'm out and about, I wouldn't think about it (unless I passed my reflection), but when i was home, it would suck.

I used to squeeze the life out of my face with my bare fingers...UNWASHED! I'm just soooo lucky that I didn't scar up.

I've been following your suggestion about emu oil, and I think that it's helping some. Do you think that 100% tea tree oil helps with red marks, or fresh wounds? Cause on my TTO bottle, it says that it's good to use for scrapes and wounds, but I thought that it inhibits it?? :unsure:

#13 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 02:40 PM

how do parasites affect acne?
how does bacteria in the colon affect acne?

These questions were answered in the links I provided.

The man who first figured out the candida/antibiotic connection was a medical doctor by the name of William Crook. We all owe him a great debt of gratitude for making sense of the nightmare we have come to understand as candida ablicans overgrowth.

The link to information about candida talks about how parasites also cause problems in the intestinal tract (leaky gut syndrome). Matter of fact, this is totally gross, but it's true....parasites poop and pee in us. I know...it's yucky to even consider, but it's true. Their waste products cause vitamin/mineral deficiencies, and.....they consume vitamins and minerals as well; that's why they are called: "parasites". They count on us, their living host, to feed them and keep them warm and cozy. :unsure: :huh: :blink: :eek: I couldn't believe that I passed 3 liverflukes when I flushed my liver. They were so gross! They were mucous globs with red or black veins running through them. :sick: :sick: I have passed white worms as well....and I was NOT doing a parasite cleanse at the time I passed these hideous things. Some years ago when I was on a detox fast, I passed a bug with legs on either side of the body and antennas...I STILL don't know what the heck that thing was! I showed it to my husband because I knew no one would ever believe I had such a thing! I mean....I'm clean, my house is clean....but we can get these things because the eggs are microscopic in size. Dermatologists just really don't understand the full range of what diet, candida, parasites, clogged bowel, etc....all do to people. I mean, heck, at Curezone, people still say to this day that derms and doctors tell them that being on antibiotics for years doesn't hurt you! THAT'S INSANE! :eek: :eek: :blink: I mean...for Pete's sake! A respected medical doctor is the one who wrote the first book on candida ablicans, The Yeast Connection. It's unbelievable to me that these brilliant doctors don't understand the most basic principles about the importance of clean bowels and livers! SHEESH! confused.gif :neutral:

We really shouldn't underestimate the connection with candida and acne. I think it's more than criminal that doctors put young people on antibiotics and keep them on for years. Most people readily admit that their acne gets way worse when they stop antibiotics. This is because candida has taken over the gut and bacteria is flourishing and this can only eventually lead to many other health problems down the road. It did with me.

#14 will205

will205

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 12:04 AM

Denise, what else besides the colonics did you do to bowel cleanse.

Did you do any enemas. ie sticking a tube into your behind and pouring the enema solution into it. Seems a cheap alternative to colonics but it takes a bit of will power.

By the way diet also hasn't worked for me. All i did was lose 7kg(I already was skinny) and i looked anorexic. It's just not worth it. Any longer then i would of ended up in hospital.

#15 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 12:20 PM

JC - I'm not sure that Tea tree actually helps too much with red marks. It's major properties seem to be related to its antibacterial nature, which means it probably is better for wounds, or active acne at least. Of course, with an open wound, you should NEVER use it undiluted!!! You could dilute it with the emu oil; on an active spot or cyst it should be okay to use it undiluted.
I have read some reports of tea tree oil helping with red marks, but I personally don't think it helps with them - I use it to keep my skin as free of bacteria as possible and to help with healing of active spots.
But you never know - it certainly won't prevent the healing of red marks! biggrin.gif

#16 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 12:26 PM

Will: I got clear through several methods; liverflushing, bowel cleansing, and removing some very large silver fillings and detoxing the mercury and heavy metals out of my body.

Enemas are completely different than colonics in that they only reach the small intestine. Colonics reach the colon, small intestine, and large intestine. They are the most effective way at cleaning yourself out.

A colema board will clean out the large intestine. If you combine using a colema board with enemas, you can clean yourself out; almost as good as getting a colonic.

#17 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 12:40 PM

Denise - all of your experiences and treatments sound fascinating. Have you ever considered setting up a detailed thread of your regimen like the ones that Maya and JC have? It would be really interesting to read about your experiences and your progress over the years.
smile.gif
Paul

#18 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 02:59 PM

Thanks. smile.gif I have thought about it except for I plan on writing a book about it. I am working on becoming a certified nutritionist and then I plan on writing all the details then.

I wanted to document everything in great detail after I sat down to write it all out. I guess in other words, I didn't want to be redundant and have to write it all out in two seperate places.

But in a nutshell..I started getting acne at age 11. I went on antibiotics at age 13 and stayed on them (rotating them until I grew "immune" to them) for 11 years. I then flushed them down the toilet because I seemed to be getting worse, not better. I was never clear, unless I fasted or stayed on a very strict diet; and even then, I was never totally clear. I found out about candida ablicans at about age 25 or so and keep in mind I had severe joint pain in my hands; particularly my right hand (I couldn't even open a door because it hurt too much, I thought it was arthritis, but I found out a year ago it was really severe liver toxicity). So at about age 29 I tried Alpha Hydrox when it first came onto the market, and it worked at keeping me clear and then I eventually grew immune to that. Over the next 8-9 years or so, I tried everything: peels, hydroxy acids, vitamin b-6, tca peel, microdermabrasian, detox fasts, blood cleansing herbs, liver herbs including swedish bitters, artichoke extract, and milk thistle; guggal herb, saw palmetto herb, Retin A, etc........

As you can see, I literally tried everything with the exception of Accutane because it scared me to death. During the last decade, I've struggled with very serious health problems, and I knew intuitively in the past year that something was VERY wrong with my liver, but I just didn't know what it was.

Today, I have no major health problems at all whatsoever. I have overcome all of them.

That's why I am so outspoken about antibiotics; they cause so many more problems than they are worth.

#19 katie_s

katie_s

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 06:06 PM

It seems to me that most of the people who try diet and feel it's failed never eliminated the right things in the first place. Try eliminating ALL grains (except brown rice).

Basically, eat lots of fruit, veg, water, herbal tea, brown rice, fish and white meat. That's IT. Spices and maybe a bit of parmesan for flavoring, good oils/healthy salad dressings, eggs are Ok for me, almonds etc... try for 1 month, then add in red meat and experiement with other things one at a time- you'll definitely be able to tell what makes you break out.
look up the blood type diet for your particular type and follow their recommendations. give it 3 months.

seriously, it's one of the best things I ever did.

#20 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2004 - 07:32 AM

I definitely think diet plays a major part in acne, but it's extremely difficult to have such a restrictive diet in some cases. For instance, I'm a student living in catered accomodation and I have to try and get by on the food provided for me, which is of horrendous quality (:sick:) and a small budget for things of my own such as lemons and almonds. Next year, I'm self-catered but I can't afford to buy high quality of everything and inevitably I'm going to be consuming a lot of bread, salt and dairy produce, even though I try to avoid all of these! :angry:
Also, it's really hard to have a diet containing minimal carbs and fat without losing weight, especially coupled with exercise, which many of us di to help combat our acne anyway!
It's all so difficult and frustrating! I guess we just have to make the best of what we can and try and eat as well as possible until we're all millionaires with exclusive nutritionists!
Good luck everyone!
Paul
PS Denise, your book sounds really interesting, and it's great that you're training as a nutitionist - it shows that you're putting your experiences with acne to really good use. Thanks for being an inspiration! B)