Photo

Chinese medicine

zinc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 mr.peabody

mr.peabody

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2004 - 05:15 AM

I've had acne for 11 years now. I'm 25 and I have tried almost all treatments that you can get in the UK. I have been on some five different types of antibiotics in combination with various topical solutions. I've tried retin-A (horrible stuff) acne and aqua gel, and some topical solutions that contained antibiotics. I've also tried tea tree oil (with some good success) witch hazel and various other non-prescription treatments such as taking loads of zinc. I've also been on roaccutane (aka accutane) which didn't clear me up completely, but did reduce the problem a lot for a few months. As I've got older, and my acne has stayed with me, I've tried to look for treatments that don't involve me taking drugs that are damaging to the body, like antibiotics. I am also not so keen on treatments that take a long time everyday or which restrict you living your life. For instance, if you have to apply some sort of cream every night then you are some what restricted as to how late you can stay out, and where you can go.

I have always felt that while certain treatments address the acne by killing the bacteria, or drying the skin, there must be something wrong with me on the inside. There must be an underlying cause as to why small red lumps form on my face but not on other people's. It was this reasoning that led me to a Chinese Medical clinic. They told me that the my liver was 'unbalanced' and started me on a course of accupuncture and herbs which I been on for five weeks now. My skin was very bad when I first went to see them, so it has taken time for it to clear, but I can say that I saw an immediate effect, and that now the problem has been reduced some 80%. I have had to visit them once a week for the past six weekends, and will have to see them a couple more times. After that they will put me on a low dose of drugs and occasional visits once a month or so for a check-up. It is all quite expensive, but the results are impressive, especially when you bear in mind that I now use no antibiotics or any special creams. I live my life as I wish, except having to take some herbs twice a day. I know that the real test will be whether the effects last, but so far so good. I tell you this only to document my results with this treatment, and suggest it for sufferers, particularly those that have put up with this problem for a long time.

#2 Keats

Keats

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2004 - 05:52 AM

Thank you for sharing your story with us! I have had the same problem. Tried most of the drugs/medicines (including roaccutane) and cremes around. The only drug which supressed the symptons was the accutane.

I also went to a person who linked the cause of acne to an imbalance in my liver and pancreas due to toxification in my body, very likely caused by radiation and acidic food intake she said.

Im on some herbs as well for some period now (2 months approx) and feel very great. Havent had any spots at all, not a single one. So the treatment is doing well so far..

Could you be a bit more specific about what herbs so actually use? Im quite curious if the active ingredients match with the ones I am taking smile.gif

Btw, I am doing Yoga exercises as well recently. This calmes me really really down alot.

#3 mr.peabody

mr.peabody

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 01:34 PM

I looked at the ingredients and there seem to be a lot of them. Also they're written in Chinese (well, they have Chinese names written in English) so it may also depend upon the translation. The treatment seems to be good. It has reduced rather than eliminated the problem, but then the course hasn't finished yet. I'd be very grateful if you could tell me what herbs you're on smile.gif

#4 Bailey

Bailey

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 02:23 PM

What are the herbs called? Is it like a detox pill? Similar to the liver flush???

#5 Keats

Keats

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2004 - 03:38 AM

QUOTE(mr.peabody @ Jun 2 2004, 01:21 PM)
I looked at the ingredients and there seem to be a lot of them.  Also they're written in Chinese (well, they have Chinese names written in English) so it may also depend upon the translation. The treatment seems to be good.  It has reduced rather than eliminated the problem, but then the course hasn't finished yet.  I'd be very grateful if you could tell me what herbs you're on smile.gif

http://www.acne.org/...showtopic=23504

It's there smile.gif

#6 mr.peabody

mr.peabody

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:13 PM

Thanks for the link! To answer the question about the herbs, I'm not exactly sure what they do. What I mean is, they were prescribed to me by traditional Chinese doctors who refered to their effects in quite an old-fasioned style. For example, they told me my liver produced too much 'heat' and needed to be 'balanced'. Now I doubt they literally meant my liver was producing actual heat, it's probably just a metaphorical way of describing it as the doctrine this system of medicine is based on goes back thousands of years, before they knew about toxins and hormone imbalances. I imagine that what it is actually doing is correcting some imbalance in terms of how my liver functions; pehaps aiding it in the breakdown of toxin/hormones etc... As for the accupuncture...God knows how that works. I'll make a list of the herbs anyway and put them up. Perhaps they might be useul to someone smile.gif

#7 ZAP

ZAP

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2004 - 08:06 PM

WHAT'S THE CLINIC'S NAME??? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE smile.gif

#8 ACUK

ACUK

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 June 2004 - 05:26 PM

I had a bad breakout shortly after graduation few years back, really f*cked me up, coupled with the fact I was getting stressed looking for a job, things went from bad to worse. I was so depressed between July and February the following year. Then my mum took me to her Chinese herbal medicine doctor in London, the doctor took my pulse and checked my tongue and noted that my inner 'fire' was too high and gave me a course of herbal medcine to take for a week. The results were almost immediate. I cleared up within two weeks, everyone around me couldn't believe how fast the medicine worked, it was almost like a miracle.

Note before this, I had visited my GP numerous times and been given Erythomicin and other antibiotics, all of which made my skin worse and very itchy. I was beyond desperate by now and I see the visit to that doctor as fate and saved my life as I reckon I was beyond help then.

However, the effects are not permanent, the medicine tastes foul, is very expensive (around $100 every fortnight) and makes your teeth black! But I look on this as a small price to pay, as within weeks of the 1st visit, I had found a permanent job and met a nice girl. I haven't been on Chinese herbal medicine for almost a year now and just follow the regimen to keep clear. I can recommend the herbal solution to those with serious cases of acne, but can only advise they visit reputable doctors to avoid being ripped off. The effects may be more permanent for you, but due to financial restrictions, I'll never know if I'd be fully clear if I continued, but am happy with the way I am now.

Good luck to everyone.

#9 duluxdog

duluxdog

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 June 2004 - 05:39 AM

The traditional Chinese view is the hollistic appproach, that there is 'unbalance' and acne is a symptom. Basically, everything wrong with you is due to some kind of unbalance a fucked up 'chi', or you're inner fire raging out of control. It all sounds like ass, but the thing is that it works for you. Good luck with continuing your clearing..

#10 mr.peabody

mr.peabody

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 June 2004 - 02:44 PM

I agree that the terminology such as your liver giving off 'heat' all sounds like crap, but remember that this form of treatment goes back hundreds of years. Back then they wouldn't have known about toxins and the endocrine system etc...a and would have refered to them in terms they knew, like 'fire', 'heat and 'energy'. The treatments are therefore based simply on empirical results, which in a way is a good thing. I've finished the initial course now, and have to go back for check-ups. I am not completely clear, but it is much better than it was before. I am still unhappy I get spots, but then I have to remember how bad it once was.

#11 namisop2

namisop2

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2004 - 10:32 PM

Hey Mr. Peabody...i just wanted to know if you thought the herbs helped the most or acupuncture or both. I just went to see an acupuncturist and all he gave me was a bunch of herbs to brew and no acupuncture. I was kind of let down. I don't know whether or not just the herbs will be effective. Can you tell me your experience. Thanks so much in advance! smile.gif

#12 mr.peabody

mr.peabody

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2004 - 07:11 AM

Jeez...sorry for not posting for so long. I've been off in Canada for a scientific conference (not on dermatology before you ask). Umm...let's see...well to answer the one about the herbs vs. accupuncture the short answer is I don't know. The clinic I went to started me off on both at the same time, the idea being that they would work together to give the best result. The effects were immediate, and given that any medication takes time to induce an effect, I can only assume this was due to the accupuncture. As my skin improved over the next few weeks, this would have been due to the herbs and accupuncture working together. I haven't had accunpuncture treatment for about two and a half weeks now, and the acne has not got worse since I stopped. I still take the herbs. I must say that the problem has NOT gone, it has been reduced. In my eyes I think I still look bad, but BEFORE I started the treatment I looked awful, and sometimes I couldn't bear to go outside and face people. Now I feel there is still a problem, but it's not so extreme. My forehead has been totally clear since I started the treatment, and my cheeks get them at a much reduced level (say 10% as much as before). My lips and chin are still problematic, and I have resorted to using BP gel. A few months ago I would have had to use it all over my face, now I just have to use it on selected areas. That's what the chinese therapy did for me.

On a final note, I would say not to worry that you were only given herbs to brew. Perhaps the cause of your problem doesn't require accupunture, and I know that herbs can be a very powerful remedy and are an important part of chinese medicine. See what the effects are and go from there. Hope that helped smile.gif

#13 namisop2

namisop2

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2004 - 11:12 PM

Hey Mr. Peabody... Just wanted to say thanks for posting your experience! biggrin.gif I'm glad to hear you're seeing improvements with your acne. For me it's been two weeks since taking the herbs and it's working out fine. But it's hard for me to tell if it's the herbs or my approach to living healthy altogether. I'm just bummed that i broke out b/c i tried to used vinegar as a toner. Ohh well...Anyhoo it was your post that made me go to make an appointment with the acupunturist and i thank you for sharing your story and knowledge to help others. I hope you continue to see improvements with the herbs and acupunture. Take care. Keep me posted! Bye! smile.gif

#14 mr.peabody

mr.peabody

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2004 - 05:26 AM

Thank you for that nice e-mail! I'm glad to hear you're clearing up biggrin.gif My skin's getting much better. I'm off the accupuncture for now, but still take the herbs. I use the BP gel on the areas that are still affected (mainly around my mouth), at that works well. One day I might even be happy with the way I look! All the best!

#15 Keats

Keats

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2004 - 05:36 AM

QUOTE(mr.peabody @ Jul 9 2004, 05:13 AM)
Thank you for that nice e-mail!  I'm glad to hear you're clearing up biggrin.gif My skin's getting much better.  I'm off the accupuncture for now, but still take the herbs.  I use the BP gel on the areas that are still affected (mainly around my mouth), at that works well.  One day I might even be happy with the way I look!  All the best!

There is only one problem with taking herbs: it flushes out toxins thats very good, but the effect is only temporary. Your body will always seek for balance. Once you will stop the intake of herbs, your body gets out of balance and will find a balance on its own. On the long run it isnt the right solution. Besides the herbal intake, you need to find ways to purely strengthen the liver, so it can handle and cleanse the toxins and excess hormones from the blood on the long term as well.

Try to do some morning breathing excersises, or yoga or something to relief stress from the body. Try to find some ways to build-up a better immune system (liver flush i would recommend).

I am very curious on your LT results if you havent 'grown' out your excess hormone issue yet and when you stop the herbs course

#16 kt7

kt7

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 July 2004 - 09:04 AM

Iv'e also been going to a chinese herbalist for about a month now. The thing with chinese herbalist is that u must find those that people refer to you that are good at what they do. I have cleared up about 80% ever since my first visit. I get a new small pimple about every week.

What she said was wrong with me was that my blood was very "heated" and "toxic" from the years of spicy food i have eating when i was young. And that heat and toxicity builds up in your blood stream and ultimately shows on yur face. She uses her fingers and presses firmly on my wrist vessel area to read my internal conditions. She then dishes out 6 pouches of herbs for me to boil and make into a nasty tasting soup to drink. My skin is really getting much better. The thing with herbs as a medicine for acne compared to the drugs like accutane is they are natural. Also she suggested me to buy some dried up sea horses to cleanse my blood. I will continue this method for the next month and see if i get no more pimples.

There is this secret and unknown cure to acne all together. This my upset the animal activists but i hear in chinese herbal shops and by my herbalist that "Polar Bear liver" will cure your acne. My dad asked around about my acne and his friends recommended the Polar Bear Liver. He said he can buy some but will cost alotta $$. I'll see if these herbs don't work, i will buy some polar bear liver and give acne its last days!!!

#17 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2004 - 03:30 PM

Animal activitists are crazy. Circle of life. Unless they want to kill a lion for killing a hyena, we can kill them for food, too.

PS: Livers are good.

#18 mr.peabody

mr.peabody

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 July 2004 - 07:07 AM

There's pros and cons to all treatments. I've tried many many different approaches ranging from prescription medicines to life-style changes to 'alternative' therapies. I'd say that so far the accupuncture and herbs have had the fastest and most dramatic effect. I don't have all the answers, but it's worked for me. I thought I'd share my experience in case it could also help others. It may or may not be suitable for any given individual, it's hard to say. It is expensive and there's nothing to say the effects are permanent, but like I said, this isn't the first strategy I've tried by a very long way, and all in all this has been one of the best. Best of luck to everyone.

#19 AcneFighter

AcneFighter

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 July 2004 - 11:28 AM

Polar Bear Liver, hmm. It sounds awesome! I know that animal liver is very highly nutritious.

If so, dont know if just the nutritent of polar bear liver will cure the acne.

#20 duluxdog

duluxdog

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 July 2004 - 05:56 AM

WTF polar bear liver. That's going a bit too far for me.